Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #121
BwoZoo22
DIS Veteran
 
BwoZoo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Nevada
Posts: 526

I'm going to put my 2¢ in for the silent majority/minority/others.... etc. (Full disclosure - we are adults only, I understand families with kids will not think like I do.)

FP selections are not a significant factor in my selection to stay on or off property. We purposefully visit at low crowd level times, so FP availability is an insignificant part of our trip. I could care less how they change the system; I will adapt and use it if it is convenient to me. I'm using the FP+ system because it's new and I like new technology. Will we use the FP+ we reserved? Maybe. Right now everyone seems to be getting the three they want at the times best for them. I would bet it opens to everyone eventually. It only just fully opened to all on property guest beginning Oct. 23.

Low crowd levels, resort discounts, upgrade potentials, free transportation around the parks, a variety of events and park atmospheres, and the ease of immersing myself in the 'Disney World' to the exclusion of the real world, that is what sways my decision.

__________________


BwoZoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #122
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,033

Tkraz,


I acknowledge your points (as always)... But counter that there are some "lost rooms" that just will never be salvaged.
They won't run at highest occupancy in September, November, January; February or may...
It just isn't going to happen.

But that doesn't mean they won't use the new system to sell rooms...or more like do target promotions.
My take, However, is that it's gonna be more likely to be an addition cost. Additional revenue streams ( firsthand) are an obsession with Disney management... Especially behind the scenes.

Why no fifth park or massive expansion? Analysis predicts no new revenue streams...

Why did they out this together? Analysis predicts new money from different angles.

We'll just watch and see... I just hope they watch and don't make some of the consumer mistakes we have and will see.
everything you buy is a partnership on some level...never forget that.
Sometimes one partner gets screwed (Jacob marley)
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Not Soon Enough
Gift Shop Quality: Horrible
Portion Size: Shrinking and Suffering from Inflation


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #123
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 12,967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
FOTL guests get in the express line just as Disney guests get in the FP line. Both walk past the public. FOTL is basically an unlimited fast pass IF you stay onsite, however, you don't cut the line in front of other Express ticket holders.
Understood. I've used it myself and understand how it works.

The points I was trying to drive home are that you have to pay more for Universal Express (either daily fee or inflated hotel rates), there are no reservation / return times and no limits on its use. Participants get in the designated line with no restrictions or delays (other than the number of guests ahead in the Express line.)

FastPass is FREE for all guests, but there are return times and usage limits.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #124
BwoZoo22
DIS Veteran
 
BwoZoo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Nevada
Posts: 526

FP Coming for AP Holders

Shared post from 'DISBoards' by The Hub from thread 'Cast Members Testing MyMagic+ Experience for Annual Passholders 10/9-10/16':

As part of the test-and-adjust process for MyMagic+, pre-selected Cast Members have been invited to take part in a test that will simulate the experience for Annual Passholders. The test will be held October 9 - 16.[*]Pre-selected Cast Members will act as Passholders during this test.[*]Test participants will link passes to My Disney Experience, make FastPass+ selections and then visit Disney’s Hollywood Studios, where they will test park entry and FastPass+ redemption with Passholder cards.[*]After visiting the park, these testers will return to My Disney Experience to customize MagicBands and then participate in another park visit with their MagicBands.[*]Park greeters and attractions Cast Members should be aware that test participants will use their Pass cards for all MyMagic+ functionality, including touch to enter and FastPass+ redemption.
__________________


BwoZoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #125
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,033

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoZoo22 View Post
Shared post from 'DISBoards' by The Hub from thread 'Cast Members Testing MyMagic+ Experience for Annual Passholders 10/9-10/16':

As part of the test-and-adjust process for MyMagic+, pre-selected Cast Members have been invited to take part in a test that will simulate the experience for Annual Passholders. The test will be held October 9 - 16.[*]Pre-selected Cast Members will act as Passholders during this test.[*]Test participants will link passes to My Disney Experience, make FastPass+ selections and then visit Disneys Hollywood Studios, where they will test park entry and FastPass+ redemption with Passholder cards.[*]After visiting the park, these testers will return to My Disney Experience to customize MagicBands and then participate in another park visit with their MagicBands.[*]Park greeters and attractions Cast Members should be aware that test participants will use their Pass cards for all MyMagic+ functionality, including touch to enter and FastPass+ redemption.
I have some friends ( all happen to be management) who are currently or will be participating in The program this week...

One thing left out of the article is that they were given rooms ( which means reservations in the system) as part of the test.

That is a "minor" detail left out: right now the room res. is the glue that is holding the thing together...

"But Disney wouldn't spend that much money on something where you HAD to have the room...right?"

Uh huh...no breath holding on that one. Stay tuned.
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Not Soon Enough
Gift Shop Quality: Horrible
Portion Size: Shrinking and Suffering from Inflation


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #126
Silock
DIS Veteran
 
Silock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
Disneys goal is for you to drop your two weeks to the 10 days that you visit the parks with an onsite room, and take all of your vacation dollars.
They can try, but their amenities don't compare to what I can get offsite. And I get offsite for free.
Silock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #127
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post

They can try, but their amenities don't compare to what I can get offsite. And I get offsite for free.
Price is irrelevant... Choice is irrelevant... Death... Is irrelevant...

Resistance is futile
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Not Soon Enough
Gift Shop Quality: Horrible
Portion Size: Shrinking and Suffering from Inflation


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #128
saskdw
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,583

It makes perfect business sense to me that WDW would make Fastpass+ and Magic Bands an on-site only perk. I think it would definately help fill rooms. A similar set-up to Universal makes perfect business sense to me. People who don't stay on-site shouldn't get all the same perks as on-site guests.

If they go this away they will probably come up with something for Florida residents with AP's and perhaps something you can pay for like Express Pass at Universal.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #129
Silock
DIS Veteran
 
Silock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw View Post
It makes perfect business sense to me that WDW would make Fastpass+ and Magic Bands an on-site only perk. I think it would definately help fill rooms. A similar set-up to Universal makes perfect business sense to me. People who don't stay on-site shouldn't get all the same perks as on-site guests.

If they go this away they will probably come up with something for Florida residents with AP's and perhaps something you can pay for like Express Pass at Universal.
Offsite already don't get the same perks.

Universal is also very different in terms of traffic than Disney. It's just not a good model.
Silock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #130
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran
 
ArwenMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,045

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Again, Disney has said repeatedly that all guests will have access to the 60 day advance reservations. Only requirement is that you have valid theme park tickets (including AP) linked to your My Disney Experience account.

A Disney resort reservation is not required.
There is nothing in the current FAQs about 60 days and all customers, unless I missed it.

If you look in the current FAQs, there are two things that jump out at me...valid park admission and "FP+ eligible"...Assuming the "+" in FP+ means the prebooking aspect, I think there could be differences in prebooking windows based on anything they want, including onsite versus everyone else.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #131
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran
 
ArwenMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,045

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I have some friends ( all happen to be management) who are currently or will be participating in The program this week...

One thing left out of the article is that they were given rooms ( which means reservations in the system) as part of the test.

That is a "minor" detail left out: right now the room res. is the glue that is holding the thing together...

"But Disney wouldn't spend that much money on something where you HAD to have the room...right?"

Uh huh...no breath holding on that one. Stay tuned.
Very interesting...

Could just be a loophole they used to get around the way the current testing is set up. Or not.

My theory is that onsite customers will be able to book FP+ ahead of everyone else...that will be the onsite perk.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #132
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 12,967

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
There is nothing in the current FAQs about 60 days and all customers, unless I missed it.

If you look in the current FAQs, there are two things that jump out at me...valid park admission and "FP+ eligible"...Assuming the "+" in FP+ means the prebooking aspect, I think there could be differences in prebooking windows based on anything they want, including onsite versus everyone else.
The current My Disney Experience Terms and Conditions states that:

"Magic Your Way ticket holders and annual passholders may make FastPass+ selections beginning 60 days prior to day of use. The selection window may vary for other admission tickets."

No mention of a hotel stay requirement. Additionally, when FP+ was formally announced on the Disney Parks Blog earlier this year, Tom Staggs responded to one reader question with the following:

"We’re working to make MyMagic+ available to all Walt Disney World Resort guests over the next year, starting with guests staying in Walt Disney World Resort hotels. In order to deliver the best possible experience to every guest, we are rolling out MyMagic+ over several months."

Another question about MagicBands yielded this response:

"Hi, Todd. Guests staying at Walt Disney World Resort hotels, and Annual Passholders will receive a band, as well as those guests who purchase a photography package. Guests who stay at non-Disney hotels will receive a ticket with features of touch to enter the park, touch to redeem FastPass+ and touch to pay. These guests can participate in My Disney Experience and purchase a MagicBand if they wish."


Here's a link to the blog:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...he-next-level/

Personally, when I first heard about FP+, I immediately envisioned it as something that would be free to Disney hotel guests & passholders, with others having to pay. But aside from a few scattered rumors, Disney really hasn't done anything to suggest that's the case. Official statements like the above--and CM comments during testing--all point to FP+ being available to everyone.

Of course, that doesn't mean everyone will have the same number of daily ride allotments. That's where I think they could add benefits for Disney hotel guest if they wish. Go to 4 or 5 per day.

As for the Cast Member testing requiring a hotel room, I suspect that's just because the current implementation is entirely tied-into room reservations. Unofficially I've heard it could be another year before Disney is ready to fully roll-out FP+ for day guests who are not staying at a hotel or using an AP.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #133
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran
 
ArwenMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,045

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
The current My Disney Experience Terms and Conditions states that:

"Magic Your Way ticket holders and annual passholders may make FastPass+ selections beginning 60 days prior to day of use. The selection window may vary for other admission tickets."

No mention of a hotel stay requirement. Additionally, when FP+ was formally announced on the Disney Parks Blog earlier this year, Tom Staggs responded to one reader question with the following:

"We’re working to make MyMagic+ available to all Walt Disney World Resort guests over the next year, starting with guests staying in Walt Disney World Resort hotels. In order to deliver the best possible experience to every guest, we are rolling out MyMagic+ over several months."

Another question about MagicBands yielded this response:

"Hi, Todd. Guests staying at Walt Disney World Resort hotels, and Annual Passholders will receive a band, as well as those guests who purchase a photography package. Guests who stay at non-Disney hotels will receive a ticket with features of touch to enter the park, touch to redeem FastPass+ and touch to pay. These guests can participate in My Disney Experience and purchase a MagicBand if they wish."


Here's a link to the blog:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...he-next-level/

Personally, when I first heard about FP+, I immediately envisioned it as something that would be free to Disney hotel guests & passholders, with others having to pay. But aside from a few scattered rumors, Disney really hasn't done anything to suggest that's the case. Official statements like the above--and CM comments during testing--all point to FP+ being available to everyone.

Of course, that doesn't mean everyone will have the same number of daily ride allotments. That's where I think they could add benefits for Disney hotel guest if they wish. Go to 4 or 5 per day.

As for the Cast Member testing requiring a hotel room, I suspect that's just because the current implementation is entirely tied-into room reservations. Unofficially I've heard it could be another year before Disney is ready to fully roll-out FP+ for day guests who are not staying at a hotel or using an AP.
Cool! Thanks for posting that.

Yeah, I guess they could still vary the number per day...
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #134
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist
 
Planogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Frisco,Texas
Posts: 44,087

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Yes Universal has fewer hotel rooms (although the number is growing--they have 1800 rooms under construction.)

However, Universal Express is quite different than FastPass. First, it's a "front of the line" option where participants walk right past the public to ride whenever they wish. There are no scheduled return times. Also there are no limits on its use. Disney is looking at 3 FP+ options per day. Universal Express could be used 30 times in a day by guests with park hopping tickets.

Additionally, Universal has fewer parks and fewer attractions which accept the Express Pass.

There may be fewer FOTL participants at Universal (hotel guests + those who pay for it) but there are also fewer attractions which offer that service and no limits on the number of times those people can use the perk.

You're right that there's no way to truly compare both since they are quite different. However, I suspect they have a similar psychological impact on guests.

The question posed was whether off-site guests would shun the Disney parks because they receive a lesser FP+ option. My response to that is yes, some probably will. However a similar two-tiered system (the Haves and the Have-nots) has existed at USF for many years and they don't seem to be harmed by the business lost.

Disney has repeatedly said that FP+ would be available to everyone. That includes a statement from Bob Iger to congressman Ed Markey.

What we don't know is if everyone will get identical FP+ benefits. Disney COULD give more rides to its hotel guests. They COULD sell additional FP+ ride times at a price. Many possibilities.

At the end of the day, if Disney does decide to directly monetize FP+, I think it stands to gain a lot more $$$ than it would lose from the disgruntled few.
Just two points:

The new resort being built at Universal will not be included in the unlimited express pass system. They, like offsite visitors, can either buy fastpass or wait in the regular lines. That is a tiered system but it doesn't really trouble me because we usually stay offsite and by carefully planning we don't need Express even during fairly busy times. I have my doubts if that will be the case at the Disney parks when it comes to rides such as TSM and the MK mountains.

Also, the Express at Universal does work exactly like Disney's fastpass as far as access goes. You don't get front of the line but wait with others in the Express line. You said that you've used so you probably know that already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
The current My Disney Experience Terms and Conditions states that:

"Magic Your Way ticket holders and annual passholders may make FastPass+ selections beginning 60 days prior to day of use. The selection window may vary for other admission tickets."

No mention of a hotel stay requirement. Additionally, when FP+ was formally announced on the Disney Parks Blog earlier this year, Tom Staggs responded to one reader question with the following:

"We’re working to make MyMagic+ available to all Walt Disney World Resort guests over the next year, starting with guests staying in Walt Disney World Resort hotels. In order to deliver the best possible experience to every guest, we are rolling out MyMagic+ over several months."

Another question about MagicBands yielded this response:

"Hi, Todd. Guests staying at Walt Disney World Resort hotels, and Annual Passholders will receive a band, as well as those guests who purchase a photography package. Guests who stay at non-Disney hotels will receive a ticket with features of touch to enter the park, touch to redeem FastPass+ and touch to pay. These guests can participate in My Disney Experience and purchase a MagicBand if they wish."


Here's a link to the blog:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...he-next-level/

Personally, when I first heard about FP+, I immediately envisioned it as something that would be free to Disney hotel guests & passholders, with others having to pay. But aside from a few scattered rumors, Disney really hasn't done anything to suggest that's the case. Official statements like the above--and CM comments during testing--all point to FP+ being available to everyone.

Of course, that doesn't mean everyone will have the same number of daily ride allotments. That's where I think they could add benefits for Disney hotel guest if they wish. Go to 4 or 5 per day.

As for the Cast Member testing requiring a hotel room, I suspect that's just because the current implementation is entirely tied-into room reservations. Unofficially I've heard it could be another year before Disney is ready to fully roll-out FP+ for day guests who are not staying at a hotel or using an AP.
I was about to post some of this so thanks for already doing it. I believe that this indicates that offsite will have access to FP+ but access could mean many things. Could there be a fee? Is the access only day of visit?
__________________
PG
Planogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #135
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sw FL
Posts: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
JI believe that this indicates that offsite will have access to FP+ but access could mean many things. Could there be a fee? Is the access only day of visit?
Exactly what I was thinking-- Access is different from free access.
__________________
Give a man a beer and he wastes a half an hour, but teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: