Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #91
Silock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidia2 View Post
I hope WDW goes the way of Universal! It's long overdue for Disney to give some kind of reward to those of us who always stay onsite. Looks like lots of changes coming.
Reward? Like a free bus to the resort from the airport, and free transportation of your purchases from the park to the room so you don't have to carry then with you? Give me a freaking break. You get rewards already. Don't be greedy.
Silock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #92
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I hope WDW goes the way of Universal! It's long overdue for Disney to give some kind of reward to those of us who always stay onsite.

Looks like lots of changes coming.
No chance they'll reward you for paying for their overpriced rooms...

First, it doesn't benefit them one bit...
Second...YOU JUST ADMITTED THAT YOU ALWAYS
BUY THERE ROOMS!!!

the problem is that there is a misconception that Disney has a hard time selling rooms....that is incorrect
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"

Last edited by lockedoutlogic; 10-08-2013 at 07:27 PM.
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #93
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post

Yeah, but that assumes you can prebook FP+ with just a ticket, without a resort reservation. We don't know that they are going to let people do that yet, as far as I know.
You may be right...but I disagree.

There aren't enough wdw hotel rooms to use the fastpass+ system when they expand it to basically all things.

If you look at the system now...it's tied to both tickets and rooms...I think it's limited to rooms being the necessary compliment to limit numbers during implementation.

My guess...for what it's
Worth.

Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

Old 10-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #94
AntFarm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I hope WDW goes the way of Universal! It's long overdue for Disney to give some kind of reward to those of us who always stay onsite. Looks like lots of changes coming.
You cant compare Universal's system to Disney though. Universal attracts a much lower crowd level than Disney and only has two parks and three onsite hotels, so the ratio of people getting front of the line or express pass at Universal because of staying onsite is always going to be a lot smaller ratio than what's going on or might happen with Disney.
AntFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #95
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
You may be right...but I disagree.

There aren't enough wdw hotel rooms to use the fastpass+ system when they expand it to basically all things.

If you look at the system now...it's tied to both tickets and rooms...I think it's limited to rooms being the necessary compliment to limit numbers during implementation.

My guess...for what it's
Worth.
I see your point. I do think everyone will be able to use it, and maybe even prebook. But I still think that there will be an onsite advantage in terms of how long ahead you can prebook if you are staying onsite versus all offsite guests, local or otherwise. Just a guess though.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #96
Vidia2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

BUY THERE ROOMS!!!

the problem is that there is a misconception that Disney has a hard time selling rooms....that is incorrect
If you check online you'll see that there are rooms available for check-in tomorrow. They might extend this service to partner hotels like Swan and Dolphin at a discounted rate to get people to spend more time on property as well.

It's a new system so they could charge off-site guests for it a well as offer some sort of tiered system (add-ons for on-site as well) and cash in big.

It would make the FP lines shorter just it does at Universal.

I love all of the new changes. They all benefit me though so the people who would not benefit are obviously not going to like them.

Will see where the FP+ system goes.

Last edited by Vidia2; 10-09-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Vidia2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #97
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:

BUY THERE ROOMS!!!

Gotta disagree there. In Disney's quarterly earnings reports, they claim to be around 78% average occupancy. If they can increase that occupancy...even a few ticks...and possibly even lessen discounting during certain times of the year, there's definitely money to be made.

And perhaps most importantly, giving an extra FP+ bonus to onsite guests costs them absolutely nothing.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #98
Vidia2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
Reward? Like a free bus to the resort from the airport, and free transportation of your purchases from the park to the room so you don't have to carry then with you? Give me a freaking break. You get rewards already. Don't be greedy.
DCL offers rewards based on how many cruises you've taken so I think it would be nice if Disney offered more rewards for resort guests as well.

I don't think they would ever take them away for off-site guests but offering priority and included-in-resort-cost FP+ would be very appropriate. They'll always be "available" for everyone I'm sure.

This would be a way for them to increase room sales during slow times and make more money by charging off-site guests for the service.
Vidia2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #99
Silock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
DCL offers rewards based on how many cruises you've taken so I think it would be nice if Disney offered more rewards for resort guests as well.

I don't think they would ever take them away for off-site guests but offering priority and included-in-resort-cost FP+ would be very appropriate. They'll always be "available" for everyone I'm sure.

This would be a way for them to increase room sales during slow times and make more money by charging off-site guests for the service.
Why is that appropriate? Tell me why people staying on site deserve something extra that completely alters the experience.
Silock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #100
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Why is that appropriate? Tell me why people staying on site deserve something extra that completely alters the experience.
It would be like any other rewards loyalty program. You don't get loyalty points from hotel company A if you're staying at hotel company B.

Isn't there a question now about whether offsite resort guests will get the FP+/MB in the beginning? I think I read that but maybe it was on a rumors thread.

I'm curious to see if how we'd fare as DVC members if a tiered system develops.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #101
Samdari
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
And perhaps most importantly, giving an extra FP+ bonus to onsite guests costs them absolutely nothing.
It does if that choice impacts the revenue they get from non-resort guests, for example selling less annual and other passes to locals.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #102
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
It does if that choice impacts the revenue they get from non-resort guests, for example selling less annual and other passes to locals.
or having more people upgrade from offsite to stay on property.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #103
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Because a larger chunk of their vacation dollars are going to disney instead of some offsite accomodations. A little thank you for spending even more of your hard earned dollars with the mouse would be quite appropriate.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #104
Lucky'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
or having more people upgrade from offsite to stay on property.
Upgrade from offsite? I have a 5 bedroom pool home reserved. If I have to move onsite for FP+, it will definitely be a downgrade!

2014-June, Windsor Hills pool home and HRH; 2012-July, RPR and Reunion resort pool home; May,Marriott's Grande Vista; 2011 -Jan: CSR; May: CBR; 2009 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek Presidential Suite!; 2008 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek and RPR; 2007 - POR, Wonder Cruise, BWV; 2006 - Springhill Suites, UO and PBH, Nick Hotel; 2005 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins; 2003 - Poly, OKW, AsMo; 2002 - UO and RPR; 2001 - Sheraton Vistana Villages; 2000 - Holiday Inn Family Suites, ASMu; 1996 - Swan; 1995 - Swan, ASSp, ASMu; 1994 - POFQ
Lucky'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #105
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post

Gotta disagree there. In Disney's quarterly earnings reports, they claim to be around 78% average occupancy. If they can increase that occupancy...even a few ticks...and possibly even lessen discounting during certain times of the year, there's definitely money to be made.

And you know that 80% for a hotel as a 365 year average is off the charts. The hotel business just isn't and wasnt ever designed on full occupancy... It's not realistic... Travel is too much of a servant to a whole range of issues and conditions that have nothing to do with the magic kingdom.

Come on...you have to be realistic even at Disney. We are at the LOW point at 78%. If the ducktape holds on the economy - there's a boom that will come from some new made up crap... And they're right there back to 90%+

I'm not an amateur at the hotel thing... I don't want to bring that up... But it needs to be brought up. Lets not ignore some things while harping on details that are overblown. 3 years ago...free dining was wide spread and absolutely necessary. Now it is nothing but margins...worst days and highly selective to fill it out. Come on now. And perhaps the 78% is a function of two things (at least in the US):
Lost wages/ purchasing power over time that are never coming back... Loss of clientele ( that's not a theory... It's a tracked fact... Just not advertised enough or comprehended by fools)
And...Disney's huge price bumps relative to conditions that they've continued and are starting to hold to... Just as they promised for several years ( actually more like whined). And they are convinced to go in for the kill... Even if the deer is already dead. Prices now are measurably higher than five years ago... Across the board. You can feel it...it's not "market forces" or "inflation". And as an FYI...I usually downplay price bumps...they used to result in little in the aggregate because it wasn't across the board. No longer.

Anyway...back to square...Reserving fast pass to "sell rooms" would have limited value. BUsing it as a for sale perk might have better potential. I could see them charging for a program and then using it as a replacement for free dining in soft times. But that would be an increase in take and profits... Pay for the food now but get "white glove" ride reservations in September...a huge advantage for 50 year old dark rides.

This system is not to address the "horrid room problem". There isn't one... Disney knows no matter what they say. Not at wdw... Swing by the 7 hotels at Paris and take a look...the bump isn't needed in Florida rooms. The indicator of trouble in Florida is steep Florida resident discounts and expanded military/cast member rate availability. There's your canary in the coal mine. I haven't kept track but that doesn't seem to be ground conditions now.

Just opinion with some common sense/factoids sprinkled in.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: