Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
jake&samsmom
Jordan's Mom too!

Please help me choose for my family of 5

I've learned so much from the Dis since I started planning our family's first trip years ago. I need some sage Disney advice...

We are a family of 5 (2 adults, a 13 y/o son, 10 y/o son, and a 3 y/o princess). We are DVC members staying at a 1 bedroom at Kidani in January 2014 for 5 days. I want to add 2 more days at a non-DVC resort just for the fun of it and to experience something different.

With a bit of research, I've narrowed it down to either:
AoA Nemo Family Suites-love, love love the Disney theming
POR Alligator Bayou-least expensive of all, quiet, rustic
Contemporary-costlier but right by the MK
Poly-monorail access, great atmosphere, great room themeing

Which one would you choose, and most importantly why.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions

Oct. '07 Photo Trip Report: My 6 and 4 year-old park commandos -- How we conquered the World!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1628926
July 2008 Photo Trip Report: They Tried to Make Me Go To Rehab, But I Said No, No, No!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post26362581

jake&samsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
stacy6552
Keep to the code!

Of them, I would go with the ALL Star family suite. For the bedroom door.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
greengeen
Mouseketeer

We just did one night at the Poly before going to our DVC villa (VWL) and were actually a little disappointed. Mostly with housekeeping and maintenance. If I had it to do over I would do the Contemporary or AOA. With kids as young as yours, AoA might be the best choice. It's Disney on steroids! It's very, very heavily themed. Awe inspiring. And the food court is great.
greengeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
1000HappyWishes
I know every mile will be my worth my while.

POR! They have one of the best food courts on property, it's cheaper, and it's gorgeous there.

WDW: 2001, 2003, 2013
Disneyland: 2007
Universal: 2013
1000HappyWishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
mum2four
DIS Veteran

I would choose either AOA or Contemporary. Reason being that both of those resorts would be a nice contrast to the theming you'll experience at AKV. If the proximity to MK isn't a huge deal to you, then AOA.

Side note...the Poly is supposedly starting DVC construction this month and there are rumors that the pool MAY close for refurb in January. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
rteetz
DIS Veteran

I would pick the AoA family suite. It's a new resort yes it's a value resort but everything I'm hearing they say its more like a moderate. We are in the same boat kind of trying to find where our family office should stay as well. I've been looking at AoA but its quite expensive for a value and I could stay at a deluxe resort for the same amount. But since you guys are looking for great theming and your DVC members I would go with AoA when we visited there last year after it opened we said right away we want to stay there. The pool has underwater speakers and everything screams disney I love it.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:41 AM   #7
timandjanl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2four View Post
I would choose either AOA or Contemporary. Reason being that both of those resorts would be a nice contrast to the theming you'll experience at AKV. If the proximity to MK isn't a huge deal to you, then AOA.

Side note...the Poly is supposedly starting DVC construction this month and there are rumors that the pool MAY close for refurb in January. Just something to keep in mind.
Agree with all this 100%. And I've stayed at AoA. Loved it. If we weren't in the process of joining DVC I would definitely stay there again.

Proud DVC Owner at SSR
timandjanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
jake&samsmom
Jordan's Mom too!

Thank you for all your suggestions. Looks like the forerunner is AoA. I do love the theming and the newness of everything I've seen so far.

Oct. '07 Photo Trip Report: My 6 and 4 year-old park commandos -- How we conquered the World!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1628926
July 2008 Photo Trip Report: They Tried to Make Me Go To Rehab, But I Said No, No, No!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post26362581

jake&samsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
LisaCM614
Mouseketeer

Just piling on for AoA Family Suites! We loved our stay there. I also think it would be the easiest to move from a 1 br at AKV. The others might make you feel a bit cramped. Loved having the 2 bathrooms!
It was so fun walking around and looking at all of the icons - in all of the sections. The pool was so fun and the food court had a nice variety and the food was all good.

I have never stayed at CR or POR AB. We did like Poly too but I'd pick AoA!

[url=http://www.wwydwdw.com/]
LisaCM614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
cheesemouse
DIS Veteran

I would vote for either the Contemporary or AoA suites. A lot depends on your family and your plans for those 2 days. Is having a separate adult sleeping area a must? I personally LOVE having a sleeping area away from my 3. Are you going to be going to the parks either of those days? If so, which ones? If MK is on the list, you simply can NOT beat the CR's location to MK. The walk is awesome and there is the monorail (which my kids adore). But, if you plan to go to the other parks, transportation from the CR is not ideal. I'd rather have dedicated bus service from AoA to go to the other parks. Just some thoughts...
cheesemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
mommyof3princess27
What we've got here is failure to communicate

POLY! I loved it there... we also have 5 amd plenty of room!

Erin , DH and DD13 (KC) DD9(Court) and DD5(Moo) plus 2 and 1 chiweenie
Oct 2010 Poly CL 40% code, Dec 2011 POR w/ FDing, Nov 2012 POR RGR w/DxDP, 2014 POR RGR w/Free Dlx Dining
mommyof3princess27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: