DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
eewillison
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1

Misrepresentations in DVC sales presentation

In 2012, my wife and I purchased 125 points at Animal Kingdom. Our DVC Sales guy, Joe (last name started with 't' but I can't pronounce or fully remember it) told us a few things that now Disney is saying aren't true. First, he told us that by buying into the program, we would get Florida resident rates for the purchase of park passes. But when we checked about park passes for our upcoming trip, we were told that while we could get annual passes at a slight discount, we could not get the Florida resident passes such as the annual weekday passes or the rate for actual Florida residents.

Second, he told us that there was a great deal of flexibility in the meal plans for DVC members since they had their own kitchens, thus we could buy meal plans for just some of the days we were there, and just for the kids if we wanted, with the adults paying as they went. Now Disney is telling us that the rule is that you must buy a meal plan for every person for every day you will be at Disney.

Lastly, he told us that we could trust what he was saying because he was wearing a voice recorder. He held up a black object attached to a lanyard around his neck with a glowing red light on it. I have a similar sized device at home with a mini USB port and I thought that was a great idea to record everything that got said so that there would be no mistake about things. We did not read the contract quite as closely as we should for wording that would back up the above claims because of this. But when I mentioned this to the DVC people when we were disputing what was said, the DVC people told me that this was just a pager system for the child care people to get in touch with the sales associate in case something was going on with the kids.

We have gone to Disney in each of the last four years and I have never had a problem with them until now. Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?
eewillison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2
 
MinnieGirl33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,580

1). Our guide has been fabulous so no, we've never experienced anything remotely similar.

2). AP prices for DVC are essentially the same as FL Resident prices. You would have a DVC AP not a FL Rssident AP (~$464 + tax = new)

3). As for the dining plan, not really sure what to tell you here. It has always been this way. Must be booked for the entire party for the length of stay. The advantage DVC gets is that we don't pay a premium for certain dates. You do have the option of purchasing the TiW card in lieu of (or some choose in addition to) DDP which gives you 20% off at TS spots (and a few others).

No offence, but if you didn't do your own due diligence with such a massive investment.... I'm not going to take the word of the car salesman just because he says "you can trust me"... I never sign anything without fully reading & UNDERSTANDING what I am signing.

Again, really don't mean to sound snarky but I just cannot comprehend how this happens.
__________________
Me DH DS20 DS16 Minnie Mia


MinnieGirl33 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 46,432

Quote:
Originally Posted by eewillison View Post
In 2012, my wife and I purchased 125 points at Animal Kingdom. Our DVC Sales guy, Joe (last name started with 't' but I can't pronounce or fully remember it) told us a few things that now Disney is saying aren't true. First, he told us that by buying into the program, we would get Florida resident rates for the purchase of park passes. But when we checked about park passes for our upcoming trip, we were told that while we could get annual passes at a slight discount, we could not get the Florida resident passes such as the annual weekday passes or the rate for actual Florida residents.

Second, he told us that there was a great deal of flexibility in the meal plans for DVC members since they had their own kitchens, thus we could buy meal plans for just some of the days we were there, and just for the kids if we wanted, with the adults paying as they went. Now Disney is telling us that the rule is that you must buy a meal plan for every person for every day you will be at Disney.

Lastly, he told us that we could trust what he was saying because he was wearing a voice recorder. He held up a black object attached to a lanyard around his neck with a glowing red light on it. I have a similar sized device at home with a mini USB port and I thought that was a great idea to record everything that got said so that there would be no mistake about things. We did not read the contract quite as closely as we should for wording that would back up the above claims because of this. But when I mentioned this to the DVC people when we were disputing what was said, the DVC people told me that this was just a pager system for the child care people to get in touch with the sales associate in case something was going on with the kids.

We have gone to Disney in each of the last four years and I have never had a problem with them until now. Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?
DVC annual pass prices are the same as FL resident but the other types of FL Resident tickets are not available to members.

For a short while they did allow members to split the dining plan into segments but it was discontinued because there were too many technical problems with keys not working. I don't think they expected members to switch on and off multiple times during a stay.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
DVC Mike


DVC Member @ BLT, VGC, VWL, BWV, BCV
 
DVC Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 550 miles from WDW
Posts: 4,319

Quote:
Originally Posted by eewillison View Post
Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?
No, not personally. Our guide has been nothing but honest to us.

None of what the guide told you was in the product summary or the other paperwork you signed. Did you read the paperwork you signed?

I wonder if you had a misinformed guide, or perhaps you misunderstood what he was saying, or perhaps he really was misrepresenting things.
__________________
My Disney photos on Flickr

My DVC Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

DVC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,111

I believe that the DVC Annual Pass price is currently the same as what FL residents pay. So that statement alone would be accurate.

The question is whether he specifically TOLD you that you could also buy other passes which are made available to residents. Members have never had access to the Epcot after 4 passes, seasonal or other passes offered exclusively to locals.

As for the dining plan flexibility, there was a time when members could pick-and-choose DDP days and participants but that was eliminated about 12-18 months ago. Either he was telling the truth at the time of the sale, or was not aware that the policy had recently changed.

Disney's policies toward ticket discounts, dining plans and other non-timeshare matters are not written into the contract and could (legally) change at any time.

As for recording the conversation, I've never heard of that before. But if he was telling the truth, unfortunately I wouldn't anticipate Disney producing that recording.

The reality of a timeshare purchase is that the contracts and agreements you sign state that they supercede any and all verbal promises made during the sales process. The items you list pale in comparison to some of the outright lies other timeshare salesmen will tell in order to make a sale. The only way to protect your interests is to read those documents and understand exactly where your exposure lies. See what is specifically spelled out and know that anything not covered by the agreements could change in a heartbeat.

Good luck.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,541

Quote:
Originally Posted by eewillison View Post
...We have gone to Disney in each of the last four years and I have never had a problem with them until now. Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?
So what was the problem you had? That he told you stuff that either you misunderstood or he misrepresented? Or was there a different problem since you said you haven't had a problem in the last four year and you bought in 2012.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 1,823

Quote:
Originally Posted by eewillison View Post
at First, he told us that by buying into the program, we would get Florida resident rates for the purchase of park passes.

Second, he told us that there was a great deal of flexibility in the meal plans for DVC members since they had their own kitchens,

Lastly, he told us that we could trust what he was saying because he was wearing a voice recorder. He held up a black object attached to a lanyard around his neck with a glowing red light on it.

We have gone to Disney in each of the last four years and I have never had a problem with them until now. Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?
Well, you do get a hefty discount/Florida resident rates on APs. As far as I know they have never given discounts on regular park admission.

There is flexiblity in regards to dining given that you could use a kitchen at a DVC resort and you can now get the TIW card which was only available to Florida residents in the past. You can still buy the DDP but DVC does not require you to purchase park tickets like a cash reservation/package, basically saving you money.

Wearing a voice recorder? Whaaat? Really? I would ask for a different guide. Not that he could make a difference on your contract now, I just wouldn't deal with this guy again.

Does the fact that your guide clearly told you some untruths impact your ability to enjoy your membership or your points going forward? If so, that is sad. Hope you can find a way to overcome it and find a way to make your membership work for you.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,220

Quote:
Originally Posted by eewillison View Post
In 2012, my wife and I purchased 125 points at Animal Kingdom. Our DVC Sales guy, Joe (last name started with 't' but I can't pronounce or fully remember it) told us a few things that now Disney is saying aren't true. First, he told us that by buying into the program, we would get Florida resident rates for the purchase of park passes. But when we checked about park passes for our upcoming trip, we were told that while we could get annual passes at a slight discount, we could not get the Florida resident passes such as the annual weekday passes or the rate for actual Florida residents.

Second, he told us that there was a great deal of flexibility in the meal plans for DVC members since they had their own kitchens, thus we could buy meal plans for just some of the days we were there, and just for the kids if we wanted, with the adults paying as they went. Now Disney is telling us that the rule is that you must buy a meal plan for every person for every day you will be at Disney.

Lastly, he told us that we could trust what he was saying because he was wearing a voice recorder. He held up a black object attached to a lanyard around his neck with a glowing red light on it. I have a similar sized device at home with a mini USB port and I thought that was a great idea to record everything that got said so that there would be no mistake about things. We did not read the contract quite as closely as we should for wording that would back up the above claims because of this. But when I mentioned this to the DVC people when we were disputing what was said, the DVC people told me that this was just a pager system for the child care people to get in touch with the sales associate in case something was going on with the kids.

We have gone to Disney in each of the last four years and I have never had a problem with them until now. Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?
You were misled if those are what you were told. If you could prove it, you might have recourse. Of course you can't. Plus the legal paperwork not only contradicts what you were told related to the FL resident discounts. I'm not aware Disney records every tour but if they do, I doubt they keep this this long. Even if what you were told about the DP were true (it wasn't), it could change since this is a non guaranteed program that is offered at the whim of Disney. You need to pay more attention to the documentation when signing legal paperwork.

I think the things you were told (assuming you are representing them accurately) are not the norm for DVC but are for many timeshare tours non DVC. DVC does not need to misrepresent to sell but they do seem to be making changes in their sales process (more pressure).
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
Pirate Granny
DIS Veteran
 
Pirate Granny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 920

There was a time you could book partial dining plan days, but everyone in the room had to have the same plan. Never, ever could children have DP and the parents, unless they were in a different room with different adults that didn't have the plan. I think that was discontinued in 2011. When we went in 2012 we had a split stay that allowed us to have dining plan for the first resort and none for the second, that hasn't changed, but everyone has to have or not have the plan.
__________________
Pirate Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
Sandisw
Moderator
 
Sandisw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 9,652
DISboards Moderator

We were fortunate that we had done a lot of research before we talked to a DVC guide so had an idea of what we were and were not getting. Our guide, though, was great and everything we heard from him meshed with what I already knew.

Unfortunately, guides are salesman and its possible that he was extremely gifted in being able to spin the "truth" to sound like it was more than it is.

While it is daunting, it is so important for new buyers to read through all the paperwork, especially the POS, before finalizing the sale. This way, if one doesn't see the information shared during the meeting, it can be questioned and clarified during your rescind period.

I'm sorry that there were things that you expected aren't currently part of DVC. But, perks do come and go, so its not impossible that at some point some of those things could become a reality. While I doubt it personally, you never know!!
__________________
Sandi



Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #11
ssawka
DIS Veteran
 
ssawka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post
We were fortunate that we had done a lot of research before we talked to a DVC guide so had an idea of what we were and were not getting. Our guide, though, was great and everything we heard from him meshed with what I already knew.

Unfortunately, guides are salesman and its possible that he was extremely gifted in being able to spin the "truth" to sound like it was more than it is.

While it is daunting, it is so important for new buyers to read through all the paperwork, especially the POS, before finalizing the sale. This way, if one doesn't see the information shared during the meeting, it can be questioned and clarified during your rescind period.

I'm sorry that there were things that you expected aren't currently part of DVC. But, perks do come and go, so its not impossible that at some point some of those things could become a reality. While I doubt it personally, you never know!!
Or just start doing research on the DIS and talking to other members. We never went to a sales presentation. We did our research and then solicited DVC when we were ready to buy.

This is how we handle all major purchases. Sales persons either love us or hate us. When we are ready to buy, we are ready to buy. They don't need to give their sales pitch. However we also will not purchase until we have done our research. So, the "hard sell" does not really work on us.
__________________

Please show your support for GKTW!


"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
networktek
it all started with a mouse
 
networktek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 849

i find with the DVC sales people not all of them are up to date with all the latest information on our last cruise we sat in on the DVC presentation and were told that Canadian's can have the option to pay the annual dues monthly when we got back home and called members to have our dues changed they told us that Canadian's are not allowed to pay monthly only option is to pay in full.
__________________



networktek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,265

DVC sales personnel usually don't tell blatant lies, but it does happen occasionally. Given the pattern of inconsistencies and the whopper about the recorder/pager, it's pretty clear to me the guide was lying.

I had the same guide another poster was bragging about above, and she lied to me twice -- once when we bought resale (said she'd just come from a meeting where she was told DVC would be ROFRing ALL resale contracts) and once when we bought from her direct (said we were not entitled to some bonus points, which we were -- we complained to Member Admin and got the points).

It's unusual, but hey, they're timeshare salesmen!

BTW, if someone were recording without telling you up front, before the conversation, that would be a criminal act.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002
 
KAT4DISNEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nevada
Posts: 8,853

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
BTW, if someone were recording without telling you up front, before the conversation, that would be a criminal act.
Only in some states. In others as long as you are part of the conversation it would not be a criminal act. But I believe FL is one of the states that requires consent from all parties.

Perhaps there should be an exemption for timeshare sales presentations.
__________________
Kathy

KAT4DISNEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,265

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
Only in some states. In others as long as you are part of the conversation it would not be a criminal act. But I believe FL is one of the states that requires consent from all parties.
That's correct, although in Florida, there is an exception if the recording participant is a law enforcement officer conducting an official investigation.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.