Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Two new Disney Cruise Line ships could be coming in 2015 & 2016

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2013/0...jor-makeovers/

Copied from the above link (not my article/site)

Ahoy landlubbers! I’ve just returned from four days at sea on the illustrious Disney Dream with news that’s making its way across all decks. According to multiple sources onboard, Disney Cruise Line is expected to make some big announcements soon regarding its current and future fleet of ships.

If the at-sea talk is true, Disney Cruise Line plans to add two new cruise ships, launching one in 2015 and one in 2016. The ships will reportedly be sized between the existing offerings, larger than the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder, but smaller than the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy.

The staff aboard the Dream has been told there’s more to come from Disney Cruise Line soon. Every Cast Member I asked, from servers to cashiers to managers seemed to know something about it, some willing to elaborate on details, others only offering a smirk and a light-hearted, “Wouldn’t that be nice?” (I hear loose lips sink ships.) Many did ultimately give an affirming “yes” when asked if they knew of new ships coming to Disney Cruise Line.

But take this information with a grain of sea salt. Without official confirmation, specifics may not be accurate yet. Fortunately, that confirmation may not be too far away.

The announcement(s) could come as soon as two weeks from now as Walt Disney World prepares for its “Monstrous Summer” press event. Invitations recently sent out specifically name “Disney Cruise Line news” as being part of it. The event will take place April 25 and 26 and we’ll be there to follow up.

The timeframe is feasible. It took less than two years from the time construction began in Germany on the Disney Dream to the time the ship sailed its maiden voyage from Florida (though it was ordered from builder Meyer Werft two years prior to building). So it’s not unthinkable that Disney could have a new ship built within the next two years, for delivery into service by 2015 with another following a year later, much like the Fantasy did a year after the Dream – as long as construction begins soon.

The Magic and Wonder are also reportedly slated for major makeovers, adding further enhancements, likely during their upcoming scheduled dry docks. The (unofficial) Disney Cruise Line blog shared renderings back in January of what the older ship updates may soon include.

It certainly wouldn’t be the first time those two ships have been upgraded, having received a number of enhancements in the past, such as the addition of the Outlook Café to the Wonder in 2009. The Magic is scheduled for a short six-week refurbishment after the summer season ends with the Wonder’s update following next year.

The possibility of two new Disney Cruise Line ships would certainly make business sense, with thousands of guests sailing aboard the newest two ships every week. Disney Parks and Resorts received a 3% revenue increase in 2011 over 2010 as a result of the launch of the Disney Dream. And last year’s successful completion of the Disney Fantasy leaves the stateroom door wide open for future fleet expansion.

But the big question remains: What would Disney’s new ships be named? Following the tradition of Magic, Wonder, Dream, and Fantasy, perhaps the Disney Wish? Disney Sorcerer? Or even the Disney Princess? (Not to be confused with Princess Cruises, of course…)

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
rainynight
Mouseketeer

That would be awesome. Here's hoping its true!
rainynight is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Heard much about new cruise ships coming and really hope this is to be true. There is a big press event coming up at the summer disney press event and a huge part of this event has been dedicated to the cruise line. That being said i think we will see them announced this summer if this is true which I believe is true.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
tinker_stinker06
Just keep swimming

I am thinking the Disney Imagination would be a good name

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using DISBoards
2009 Pop Century
May 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter

tinker_stinker06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't count on it - Disney has not been successful in filling their current ships - why would they build two more and have more empty rooms. The only other rumor I heard on the Magic in February was that Disney was considering selling the Magic and the Wonder and replacing them with two new ships. To me that would be the only thing that would make financial sense for them. I guess we will see - after all it is Disney - they tend to be very unpredictable!

Minnie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
WDWChloe
WDW Annual Passholder

Ooooo

I like the idea of the Wish & Imagine/Imagination

IG: @chloelovesdisney
WDWChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
fr spodo komodo
Earning My Ears

Why couldn't they spend the money on improving the parks??????
fr spodo komodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie321 View Post
I wouldn't count on it - Disney has not been successful in filling their current ships - why would they build two more and have more empty rooms. The only other rumor I heard on the Magic in February was that Disney was considering selling the Magic and the Wonder and replacing them with two new ships. To me that would be the only thing that would make financial sense for them. I guess we will see - after all it is Disney - they tend to be very unpredictable!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr spodo komodo View Post
Why couldn't they spend the money on improving the parks??????
To answer the second question first, DCL and Parks & Resorts are run as separate business units. Expansion decisions in one are made fairly independently of the other (obviously when major capital outlays are involved there has to be some assurance that the cash is available, but for the most part, the decision comes from the business unit itself).

I don't know that it's accurate that DCL is sailing with a significant number of empty rooms. DCL overall still sails at above 90% of capacity. It is true that some ships/itineraries have sold slower than expected/hoped for. But they do eventually sell. There are some pretty compelling argument for adding the two new ships.

The Magic entered service in 1998 and the Wonder entered service in 1999, and neither has had a major refurbishment in the last 14-15 years. The Wonder got some refurbishment when it was refitted for the Alaska route. But both of those ships are due for strip-to-the-shell stateroom and public space refurbishments. The problem is, if you take one of those ships out for 6-9 months, and your fleet only has four ships, your capacity drops some 20%. That's a lot of revenue to leave on the table, especially while you're spending money on the refurbishment.

Consider, though, an alternative that involves Disney exercising it's existing option for two more Dream-class ships from Meyer Weft. The Magic could go in for an extensive refurb in 2015, just as Disney takes delivery of New Ship #1. Because the new ship is actually larger than the Magic, DCL sees an incremental increase in capacity (rather than a substantial decrease). As the Magic comes out of refurb, the Wonder goes in for refurb in 2016. Disney also takes delivery of New Ship #2. And again, rather than decreasing capacity during the refurbs, DCL again gets an incremental capacity increase. Finally, sometime in 2017, the Wonder comes out of refurb and DCL gets another incremental capacity increase.

Overall, DCL builds in room for slow and steady growth. Part of the problem with selling the Dream and Fantasy was that they more than doubled DCL's capacity over a very short time period. And the public didn't react as enthusiastically to the alternative home ports as DCL thought they would. But I really think some of that is a matter of time and market awareness. Even with a massive publicity campaign, I still had people saying, "Disney sails cruises out of Galveston??" Cruise vacations tend to get planned well in advance, so it takes some time in a given departure port for the public to catch on to the availability of DCL at that port. More ships enable DCL to cover more home ports on a longer-term basis (instead of moving ships around so much).

In any case, while it may not happen, I think that the logic behind such an expansion is much stronger than some people are giving it credit for.
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

AJRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post

To answer the second question first, DCL and Parks & Resorts are run as separate business units. Expansion decisions in one are made fairly independently of the other (obviously when major capital outlays are involved there has to be some assurance that the cash is available, but for the most part, the decision comes from the business unit itself).

I don't know that it's accurate that DCL is sailing with a significant number of empty rooms. DCL overall still sails at above 90% of capacity. It is true that some ships/itineraries have sold slower than expected/hoped for. But they do eventually sell. There are some pretty compelling argument for adding the two new ships.

The Magic entered service in 1998 and the Wonder entered service in 1999, and neither has had a major refurbishment in the last 14-15 years. The Wonder got some refurbishment when it was refitted for the Alaska route. But both of those ships are due for strip-to-the-shell stateroom and public space refurbishments. The problem is, if you take one of those ships out for 6-9 months, and your fleet only has four ships, your capacity drops some 20%. That's a lot of revenue to leave on the table, especially while you're spending money on the refurbishment.

Consider, though, an alternative that involves Disney exercising it's existing option for two more Dream-class ships from Meyer Weft. The Magic could go in for an extensive refurb in 2015, just as Disney takes delivery of New Ship #1. Because the new ship is actually larger than the Magic, DCL sees an incremental increase in capacity (rather than a substantial decrease). As the Magic comes out of refurb, the Wonder goes in for refurb in 2016. Disney also takes delivery of New Ship #2. And again, rather than decreasing capacity during the refurbs, DCL again gets an incremental capacity increase. Finally, sometime in 2017, the Wonder comes out of refurb and DCL gets another incremental capacity increase.

Overall, DCL builds in room for slow and steady growth. Part of the problem with selling the Dream and Fantasy was that they more than doubled DCL's capacity over a very short time period. And the public didn't react as enthusiastically to the alternative home ports as DCL thought they would. But I really think some of that is a matter of time and market awareness. Even with a massive publicity campaign, I still had people saying, "Disney sails cruises out of Galveston??" Cruise vacations tend to get planned well in advance, so it takes some time in a given departure port for the public to catch on to the availability of DCL at that port. More ships enable DCL to cover more home ports on a longer-term basis (instead of moving ships around so much).

In any case, while it may not happen, I think that the logic behind such an expansion is much stronger than some people are giving it credit for.
Completely agree!

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
CelticHattress
Earning My Ears

Maybe having a cruise ship sail out of Galveston is a good way of getting people to the new Disney park opening in Texas. Hahaha, just kidding, though that would be a good hook. I think one of the smaller ships in the fleet would do good if it had a route which took people from the northeast, like New York, down to Florida. Perhaps they do, I'm not really up to date on their routes. Disney Wish and Disney Believe would be my names of choice.

~Celtic~
CelticHattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post

I totally agree, except:

1. The amount of refit/work that can be done in the 6-7 weeks planned for the Magic next fall will be a lot more then people realize, more toward the refit you envision in 2015.

2. I don't believe any new ships with be the dream class, I believe they will be about 100,000 tons, to bring the comfort of the classic vessels and a larger size to have the new features of the dream class.

I have to agree with other posters that the announcement on April 26th will be about the Classic vessels refits and not 2 new vessels.

Time will tell.....shortly!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticHattress View Post
Maybe having a cruise ship sail out of Galveston is a good way of getting people to the new Disney park opening in Texas. Hahaha, just kidding, though that would be a good hook. I think one of the smaller ships in the fleet would do good if it had a route which took people from the northeast, like New York, down to Florida. Perhaps they do, I'm not really up to date on their routes. Disney Wish and Disney Believe would be my names of choice.

~Celtic~
For the NY/Baltimore to FL and the return route to avoid taxes, it would have to stop at 2 foreign ports. But it would not be that hard to stop at Castaway Cay and some other Bahamas Island.

I know I would enjoy not having to start my vacation with a body cavity search.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

They're having trouble filling the 4 ships they have. I can't see them adding two new ships without disposing of the two classic ships.

And DCL is under the Parks & Resorts division.

mcd2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
They're having trouble filling the 4 ships they have. I can't see them adding two new ships without disposing of the two classic ships.

And DCL is under the Parks & Resorts division.

It a matter of placement and the better economy.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

~I really hope Disney is building two more boats -- refurbishing two old boats is not "monstrous news", it's just news.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: