Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I'm never in the pic and I thought about buying a small collapsible tripod and they have these remotes you can use to take a pic. How practical is it? Anyone done it? Have a recommendation? I have a Canon T1

Last edited by lizabu; 09-02-2013 at 10:28 AM.
lizabu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
kenny
I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train. - Walter E. Disney

Most people on this board bring a tripod to the park so it is very doable. Definitely get the remote as well

As for recommendations there are many threads on this but I think it is really personal preference. What is your budget? How tall do you want it to extend? How small do you want it to collapse? How much weigh does it need to support, etc

I had an old tripod that I used for many years. Don't remember he brand but recently upgraded as I wantd something taller lighter and more collapsible. I purchased a velbon luxi-l. Haven't been to the park with it yet. Max height s 63", collapses to about 15, weighs 2lbs and holds about 6lbs. For my setup it should be fine. Easy to carry tall enough for me

If you are not going to use it often another route could be the joby. Small flexible tripod. I bring mine and use it sometimes when I don't want to bring regular tripod. Nice becaus you can wrap it around posts and such to get so me different angles or set up in small spaces.

Last edited by kenny; 09-02-2013 at 12:53 PM.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
Most people on this board bring a tripod to the park so it is very doable. Definitely get the remote as well

As for recommendations there are many threads on this but I think it is really personal preference. What is your budget? How tall do you want it to extend? How small do you want it to collapse? How much weigh does it need to support, etc

I had an old tripod that I used for many years. Don't remember he brand but recently upgraded as I wantd something taller lighter and more collapsible. I purchased a velbon luxi-l. Haven't been to the park with it yet. Max height s 63", collapses to about 15, weighs 2lbs and holds about 6lbs. For my setup it should be fine. Easy to carry tall enough for me

If you are not going to use it often not her route could be he joby. Small flexible tripod. I bring mine and use it sometimes when I don't want to bring regular tripod. Nice becaus you can wrap it around posts and such to get so me different angles or set up in small spaces.
I just replaced my luxi-l. I loved it, but the legs were not collapsing properly. I loved its portability enough to get the luxi-l III. It's very similar but has a ball head. It just seems to have the best balance of height and portability.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post

If you are not going to use it often another route could be the joby. Small flexible tripod. I bring mine and use it sometimes when I don't want to bring regular tripod. Nice becaus you can wrap it around posts and such to get so me different angles or set up in small spaces.
Good questions. I know I don't want pics of our kneecaps...lol. I just need it to support the camera with an all purpose lens. Since its something I only plan to use occasionally I don't want to sink a lot of money into it. I'll have to check out your recommendations. Thank you.
lizabu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Animagic!
Mouseketeer

Have people on the boards had a lot of success with tripods? I recently bought a new one to take to the parks but it sounds like a lot of people are having issues with security telling them tripods are not allowed. I know they are technically still allowed in the parks but are they practical to use without interference?

Sorry, not trying to thread-jack, just curious.

Disney Parks enthusiast. Animation nerd. Amateur photographer.
Animagic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animagic! View Post
Have people on the boards had a lot of success with tripods? I recently bought a new one to take to the parks but it sounds like a lot of people are having issues with security telling them tripods are not allowed. I know they are technically still allowed in the parks but are they practical to use without interference?

Sorry, not trying to thread-jack, just curious.
Where did you read about people having problems with tripods on the parks? I have never had an issue and haven't read stories of it either.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Animagic!
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Where did you read about people having problems with tripods on the parks? I have never had an issue and haven't read stories of it either.
Other boards and website posts. Seems like the last time I Googled about tripods in the parks almost all the results were negative. But I'd be very happy to hear it hasn't been an issue for those on disboards. I'm really hoping I can use my new tripod in the parks without any problems.

Disney Parks enthusiast. Animation nerd. Amateur photographer.
Animagic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animagic! View Post
Other boards and website posts. Seems like the last time I Googled about tripods in the parks almost all the results were negative. But I'd be very happy to hear it hasn't been an issue for those on disboards. I'm really hoping I can use my new tripod in the parks without any problems.
I have taken a tripod with me on every trip for years. I have never had trouble taking it into the park or setting it up and using it.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
Daisy14'sDH
DIS Veteran

Had mine for Wishes twice set up in front of Partners without an issue. More people were curious than negative about it... even had a pair of guys guarding the feet lol!

Click here to see more from TkO Digital Imaging on Facebook

"Lightbulbs die my dear, I will depart!" As said by Mr. Magorium
Daisy14'sDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

If the reason is because you aren't ever in the picture then perhaps just asking another visitor or a CM to take a picture? The photo pass people will also use your camera if you ask.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #11
cobright
DIS Veteran

I like the clamp on camera mounts. Then it's just a matter of 'borrowing' a fence or handrail.
cobright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #12
PoohLover78
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobright View Post
I like the clamp on camera mounts. Then it's just a matter of 'borrowing' a fence or handrail.
I have one of those, a Gorillapod. I first saw it at WDW (no kidding ) when someone clamped their camera to a lamp post during Wishes. I was immediately sold on it! I have the larger one for my DSLR. I use it A LOT, and not only to clamp it on a handrail or post or something. I find that if I snake two of the arms over my shoulder and one under my armpit, I get a pretty steady set up. Since then, I've pretty much left the tripod at home when going outdoors. I must say though, I'm a 5"4 female, so I'm not quite sure how that shoulder set up would work on taller people.

Also, when I'm sitting down, I use the Gorillapod as a monopod either on my seat between my legs or on top of my thighs. Works awesome! I've also clamped the camera on the side rail on Kilimanjaro Safari at AK. got some weird looks from people but the pics turned out awesome.

The Gorillapods are light, flexible and small. I plan on bringing it back on my next trip to WDW.
1982 WDW POR - 1985 WDW CR - 1992 DLP Cheyenne - 1995 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 1997 WDW AS Sports - 1999 DLP Newport Bay - 2001 DL off site - 2003 DL off site - 2004 WDW off site - 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 2009 WDW POP - 2010 DLP Cheyenne - 2011 WDW AS Movies - 2012 DLP Cheyenne - 2013 WDW off site
PoohLover78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #13
cobright
DIS Veteran

I like the gorilla pod, but most often I use one built like a vice-grip.

This is especially a good solution (either style) if you are bringing a stroller with you, or an ecv. Its a ready made platform to clamp to.
cobright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #14
patzor
Mouseketeer

I bought a mefoto last year as soon as I knew I was going back to WDW. It's ultra portable, and holds a good bit of weight. it also converts to a monopod. I've used it a few times and absolutely love it.
patzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
mamaCta
DIS Veteran

If your goal is to be in the pictures, you are better off getting the Photopass+ package. I would never set up my camera on a tripod and then step away from it in order to be in a picture while in a Disney park.

This trip is Me, DH, Sis21, DD15, DS6, DD3, and the ILs.

Disneybounding planning on mama-c.polyvore.com
mamaCta is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: