Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #31
uscgrl93
Beach Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsOf2boys View Post
I have never been inside any of the HA rooms but always wondered where service pets went potty. Now I know. Is it provided on the ship or did you have to bring it?
I love the picture of the "Potty Pool!" That is the cutest thing ever!!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #32
redwings30
Earning My Ears

Not discounting that there are definitely people who abuse HA rooms, however, I feel compelled to pose another scenario for why one might book one time and not another. Our son has CP and clearly has mobility issues. However, if the circumstances were such that we wanted to cruise at a certain point and there no HA rooms available, we could make it work without it. It would never be ideal, but it is something we would do, especially if we booked one of the "failed" HA rooms that have more space. We would only be judged by someone looking at our booking record, not seeing that we truly have a need and we just decided to settle in a non HA cabin. Anyway, again, I realize there are those first come first serve people...I just hope that Karma teaches them their lesson at some point. Dealing with disabilities are never easy, so it's sad when the accessible rooms are taken by someone who doesn't have a need.
redwings30 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #33
Paragd911
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings30 View Post
Not discounting that there are definitely people who abuse HA rooms, however, I feel compelled to pose another scenario for why one might book one time and not another. Our son has CP and clearly has mobility issues. However, if the circumstances were such that we wanted to cruise at a certain point and there no HA rooms available, we could make it work without it. It would never be ideal, but it is something we would do, especially if we booked one of the "failed" HA rooms that have more space. We would only be judged by someone looking at our booking record, not seeing that we truly have a need and we just decided to settle in a non HA cabin. Anyway, again, I realize there are those first come first serve people...I just hope that Karma teaches them their lesson at some point. Dealing with disabilities are never easy, so it's sad when the accessible rooms are taken by someone who doesn't have a need.
I don't have a problem with that. If you need it you need it!
Mark & (Bingo) WDW to many to count.Disney Wonder Cruises: 2006 Jul(Honeymoon) , 2007 Spring Break 2008 New Year, 2009 Spring Break , 2010 Guys Spring Break, Fall break Sept 2010 Disney Magic: 2010 Birthday Eastern . Eastern March 2011 Western Dec 12 Disney Dream: 5 Days June 2011, Jan 2012, Magic Sept 2011 - WBTA Disney Fan 7 day Eastern Caribbean Jun 2012,Dream July2012 Future EBPC Sept 13
:Trip Report of the New Year Eve Cruise with a Service Dog! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2052361
Paragd911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #34
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
I've not heard that about any rooms on the Dream or Fantasy. ....
This happened with some of the 8A rooms with the double portholes. That is why they have the HA bathrooms, but aren't classified. I didn't hear why they failed the inspection, but the deck plans were changed after the Dream was released from the shipyard. I can't find the link to the old plans now.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #35
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragd911 View Post
I am in a wheelchair ... When I was on WBTA cruise, the woman in the handicap room Next to me (been on 52 cruises all on Disney) told me she loves the "Extra Space" with a handicap room. Her & her husband does not have a any mobility issues.
I'm shocked by this. I think we all know that there are some rather selfish people in this world, some of whom would be willing to book an unneeded HA room just for their own comfort and thus possibly deprive someone that needs one of a cruise altogether.

But to brag about doing so to someone in a wheelchair really takes the cake. That takes selfishness to an entirely new height: thinking about only oneself to such a degree that not only do you not care about others, but you don't even realize how your actions affect others.
SuperDry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #36
BethA
DIS Veteran

Those rooms should be held for those who need them until close to the sailing date. To try to book them just for the extra room when you do not need HA seems so selfish to me. On several cruises my mom was in a wheelchair or scooter and the able bodied people that practically ran her over to get on the elevator killed me.
BethA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #37
MomsOf2boys
Has obsessive finger chatter disorder

I was unaware that people did this. I have stayed in handicapped rooms at hotels but I figured it was given to me at the time of check in due to non use. I assumed (I know, I know) that Disney would do the same with their HA rooms and disperse them as upgrades right before a cruise. Don't they hold the cabanna that is HA until cruise start if not booked? My friend has CP and was asked if she needed a HA room, she does not at this time and left it open. It's like HA spaces....shaking head.
Grew up at Disneyland...Raised my kids at Disney World...Had a little Wonder in Oct 04, Had a Magical week with a great group of DISers in Oct 07! We enjoyed dreaming aboard the DREAM in '12! Why Not Have Halloween Weekend 2014 on the Dream?!!
MomsOf2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #38
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethA View Post
Those rooms should be held for those who need them until close to the sailing date.
Well, they are. You have to ask for them in order to get them.

Quote:
To try to book them just for the extra room when you do not need HA seems so selfish to me.
It is. The problem is that the ADA requires that a request for handicapped accommodation be accepted without proof of disability, or even stating what the disability is. All someone has to do is say what handicap accommodation they require, and Disney must provide it if available. So, a guest booking a room that says "I need a wheelchair-accessible room" must be accepted at face value with no proof required. It's the law. And unfortunately, there are people that view such things without fully understanding their ramifications - they just think "I need a wheelchair-accessible room" is a special incantation that you say if you want more space for free.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #39
pianokey
Mouseketeer

We just got off the Fantasy yesterday. We had booked a 9A GTY room. We did not request any special accommodations, nor did we need any. However, we were assigned the cabin 5186 which is HA. I would have gladly given it up to someone who needed it, but that is where Disney put us. So sometimes people who are not handicapped, are in a HA room through no choosing of their own.
DCL - 3rd Anniversary 09/13 - Fantasy
pianokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #40
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings30 View Post
Not discounting that there are definitely people who abuse HA rooms, however, I feel compelled to pose another scenario for why one might book one time and not another. Our son has CP and clearly has mobility issues. However, if the circumstances were such that we wanted to cruise at a certain point and there no HA rooms available, we could make it work without it.
Absolutely - one who has a true need as you described. It's not like you have a list of 20+ cruises and just one cruise stuck in there as HA that you booked 18 months in advance on opening day of bookings - with no mobility issues at all. I just walked in a Spina Bifida walk yesterday to support a friend; they would never get to cruise without a HA cabin, although some of the folks there were able to walk with the assistance of walkers. Too bad we have folks who do abuse HA rooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDry View Post
It is. The problem is that the ADA requires that a request for handicapped accommodation be accepted without proof of disability, or even stating what the disability is. All someone has to do is say what handicap accommodation they require, and Disney must provide it if available. So, a guest booking a room that says "I need a wheelchair-accessible room" must be accepted at face value with no proof required. It's the law. And unfortunately, there are people that view such things without fully understanding their ramifications - they just think "I need a wheelchair-accessible room" is a special incantation that you say if you want more space for free.
Same thing with pre-boarding assistance with the airline - the ADA rules. I love it when flying an airline with open seating, someone needs preboard assistance, then ends up sitting in the exit row. If there is an emergency and they need to lift the 40-pound over-wing window exit, yet needed preboard assistance for medical purposes, I would be concerned. But they usually sit there and nod their head in agreement when asked by the FA that they can handle the duties of sitting in the exit row seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianokey View Post
We just got off the Fantasy yesterday. We had booked a 9A GTY room. We did not request any special accommodations, nor did we need any. However, we were assigned the cabin 5186 which is HA. I would have gladly given it up to someone who needed it, but that is where Disney put us. So sometimes people who are not handicapped, are in a HA room through no choosing of their own.

Yes - that is a GTY scenario we discussed earlier in the thread (not sure if you had an opportunity to read all of the thread prior to posting). DCL will assign the GTY rooms after PIF date. I was replying more about the HA cabins being booked on opening day which can be over a year-and-a-half in advance of a cruise - by individuals not booking GTY but rather a specific cabin. Even Mark shared about being platinum and trying to book a HA cabin for himself with no luck -- those go quickly. Your scenario is a completely separate scenario we discussed previously in the thread - one couple I know even called DCL this year to ask to be moved so that someone could use the cabin but were told no by DCL. We could even be one booking GTY one day and ending up in a HA cabin, but I would never intentionally book one just to have more space for our family of four.
MandyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #41
Paragd911
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm shocked by this. I think we all know that there are some rather selfish people in this world, some of whom would be willing to book an unneeded HA room just for their own comfort and thus possibly deprive someone that needs one of a cruise altogether.

But to brag about doing so to someone in a wheelchair really takes the cake. That takes selfishness to an entirely new height: thinking about only oneself to such a degree that not only do you not care about others, but you don't even realize how your actions affect others.
After she said that, "I got her room". (6654 on the magic) I was getting mad , and then quickly said all my husband is disabled. (sure)

Mark & (Bingo) WDW to many to count.Disney Wonder Cruises: 2006 Jul(Honeymoon) , 2007 Spring Break 2008 New Year, 2009 Spring Break , 2010 Guys Spring Break, Fall break Sept 2010 Disney Magic: 2010 Birthday Eastern . Eastern March 2011 Western Dec 12 Disney Dream: 5 Days June 2011, Jan 2012, Magic Sept 2011 - WBTA Disney Fan 7 day Eastern Caribbean Jun 2012,Dream July2012 Future EBPC Sept 13
:Trip Report of the New Year Eve Cruise with a Service Dog! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2052361
Paragd911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #42
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl View Post
Same thing with pre-boarding assistance with the airline - the ADA rules. I love it when flying an airline with open seating, someone needs preboard assistance, then ends up sitting in the exit row.
If you're referring to Southwest, they at least have addressed this. They now have a rule that "If you pre-board, you may not sit in the exit row." And it is enforced if they notice it, or if a fellow passenger points it out to a flight attendant. And wouldn't you know it, there are now fewer people that pre-board without a visible disability. I wonder why that is?
Old 09-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #43
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you're referring to Southwest, they at least have addressed this. They now have a rule that "If you pre-board, you may not sit in the exit row." And it is enforced if they notice it, or if a fellow passenger points it out to a flight attendant. And wouldn't you know it, there are now fewer people that pre-board without a visible disability. I wonder why that is?
Yep. The key is if noticed or if someone points it out. It may have been a year or two ago I last noticed it - I remember I had both children with me flying alone (under age 5), so I was doing family boarding, waiting in the same area as pre-boarders and then hooking in a car seat once onboard. The number of pre-boarders has definitely decreased on recent flights though! Amazing how that happens
MandyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #44
StephenKay
DVC Member VWL 2001

Wink New Room Numbers

Hi there,

Just to finish off the thread, the new HA rooms numbers are 7509 which is a Cat 10A (stayed in that one before, good room) and 8094 which is a Cat4A.

At last DCL have listened, they needed more HA rooms here's hoping there great.

PS: Love the photo of the dogs, I used to have black labs and it's great to see dogs on board, I just like to clap them. We had another dog on the EBTA and her owner Megan, both of them were great to have onboard.

PPS: I thought I recognised Bingo, we were on the WBTA in 2011 together, I never forget a face. lol
Old 10-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #45
shoes99
DIS Veteran

Circumstances do change. A month before our 9/8/2013 Dream cruise, DH was in the emergency room with severe back pain. He has scoliosis and compressed discs. He couldn't even move. I immediately called DCL and upgraded to a HC cabin so if we did sail he would have a scooter/wheelchair and a roll in shower. The only cabin available was a 4B so I booked it for $500 additional. With a month of treatment, he was able to sail but I rented a scooter from Walker and they delivered it to the hotel, and we kept it for 12 days to also use at the parks and the pin convention. It was a godsend to get from the bus to the ship and back. He also needed the open shower and accessible bars by the toilet.
Our next cruise we were not able to book a HC for 5/10/2014 so we will adapt and will have to park the scooter in the hallway or by the elevator. I might have to rent a raised toilet seat, but we will see.

shoes99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: