Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
moosecrouse
Mouseketeer

Flight times using DCL to MCO.

Wondering what would be the earliest flight I could book using DCL transport back to MCO. There is an 1130 flight I would like to book but am worried if thats 2 early.
moosecrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

I say it's perfectly fine based on my experience (4 times from MCO) and I would not hesitate to book it. I'd just make sure you ate early (we always have the main/early dining option) and don't dilly dally getting off the ship. We are almost always at the airport by 9:15am at the latest and have at least 2 hours for security. MCO can have long TSA lines so be prepared for that but again, we've had plenty of time when we arrived at 9:15am. We are at the gate by 10:15am after taking our time, using the restrooms, grabbing a snack, etc.

I vote for - you'll be fine

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy & 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I) Next: 12/2014 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

This flight is perfectly possible, However keep in mind:

1 The vessel could be late docking.

2. Customs clearance maybe delayed.

3. There could be a traffic issue or mechanical breakdown.

4. Security at MCO maybe backed up.

These things rarely happen, but they can happen and if you miss the flight, its going to coast a fair bit of money to get a new flight.

Hope it works out for you.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
noahsketomom
DIS Veteran

FYI.... Had a 11:30 flight today. We used onboard airline checkin, but easily could have carried our bags off as well. We grabbed fast breakfast at cabanas. We were off ship by 7:15. Through customs and on bus by 7:45. ( longest wait was waiting to fill up the bus!!!). We were through security and at our terminal by. 8:45. Crazy easy! I realize things easily could have been delayed but it was super easy and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 12-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
MasonsG
Earning My Ears

Did anyone happen to be able to take the Disney transfer to MCO with the early flight time? When we did our online checkin for our Feb cruise and listed our 11:50 departure out of MCO it said the Disney transfer was not available, which would mean we need to chose a private transfer or car rental. Has anyone been able to book it once onboard when they could not do it online? Everything else worked, we are paid in full, have our PAT, its our 2nd cruise with Disney, but the return transfer shows as being not available. Should we wait and hope they will allow it once we board?
MasonsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
noahsketomom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsG View Post
Did anyone happen to be able to take the Disney transfer to MCO with the early flight time? When we did our online checkin for our Feb cruise and listed our 11:50 departure out of MCO it said the Disney transfer was not available, which would mean we need to chose a private transfer or car rental. Has anyone been able to book it once onboard when they could not do it online? Everything else worked, we are paid in full, have our PAT, its our 2nd cruise with Disney, but the return transfer shows as being not available. Should we wait and hope they will allow it once we board?
That is strange. We had 11:31 flight time and used DCL transfers. Can you ask your TA? I had mine do it for us.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsG View Post
There are variables, but generally you must have a flight after 11:30 for DCL transfers. If your flight is an international one, maybe you need a later flight. I'm not sure. I'd probably call DCL and ask why I couldn't book transfers. Oh, I think that DCL transfers need to be added at the time you book the original reservation, OR by calling DCL at a later time and adding them. I'm not sure you can add them during the online checkin.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #8
Capt_BJ
So Many Times

Had a morning flight out of Orlando last week and left for the airport about 7 .... giving myself 3 hours to make the flight .. my normal drive time to the airport is 45 minutes.

When I got to SR-528 from the port side, it was closed going west due to an accident. The alternate route added well over an hour to the normal travel time from the port to the airport.

I had to park in regular lot vs extended (cheap) at significant extra cost and had I not held TSA-PRE (screened) boarding passes so as to by-pass the security lines I'd have missed the flight.

Paper says 528 was closed for hours again 4 days later.

It happens . . ..

WDW more than I can count incl EPCOT opening
40+ cruises including
DCL x 7 incl inaugural years of Magic and Wonder
retired 29 yr USCG, 12 years at sea, 4 in Command
Capt_BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
MasonsG
Earning My Ears

I will give Disney a call, we are a domestic flight and I know things can go wrong, but it would be nice to know we could book the bus transfer and not have to worry about it (it might be too late to look for alternate transportation once onboard). Perhaps it is because we are not using them on arrival, we are coming in 3 days early and staying with friends so we have a ride to the ship. I will see if calling Disney can help- thanks everyone. Since they put -ship to MCO transfer not available- when I did the online checkin- I thought perhaps it was because our return was before noon.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
sbtrfly74
DIS Veteran

We had an 11:50 flight and had no problems, even had 2 hours to kill b/c DH was panicky about getting off the ship at 8am as the paper said.

If anyone is having problems trying to get transfers after 11:30, check and make sure your airline participates. I know some do not.
sbtrfly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
shoes99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
There are variables, but generally you must have a flight after 11:30 for DCL transfers. If your flight is an international one, maybe you need a later flight. I'm not sure. I'd probably call DCL and ask why I couldn't book transfers. Oh, I think that DCL transfers need to be added at the time you book the original reservation, OR by calling DCL at a later time and adding them. I'm not sure you can add them during the online checkin.
We have paid for DCL transfers, our flight home on United is 11:57AM, and while doing online check-in, the transfers to airport is greyed out too. I'll just confirm our transfers using airline pre-checkin when we get to the port.

shoes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #12
MasonsG
Earning My Ears

ours is United as well, I will ask when I call tomorrow if that might be the problem. At least now I know we are not the only ones, although ours was not just greyed out, specifically said not available... will see if they can share any insight. Thanks so much.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: