Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
Imaginationsetfree
Mouseketeer

Best Resorts for Christmas Decorations?

Hello! I am heading to WDW this December, and it will be my first time there at Christmas. I'm getting in late on a Friday night, but don't actually plan in hitting the parks until Sunday (just due to the number of days I'm getting with my ticket and the fact that it will be Thanksgiving weekend - so I'm avoiding the crazy busy Saturday park crowds). Anyways, I thought I would spend Saturday exploring the Christmas decorations at the different resorts because I'm sure Disney does them well. Are there any resorts that I should be sure to check out? Or any not to bother with?

Thanks, everyone!
Old 09-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Wl really has the whole Christmas feeling.. The gf has the awesome gingerbread house. The Epcot resorts have really neat displays and the akl is just so pretty! I would honestly tour most of the deluxes. Have a great trip!

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Beach club has a gorgeous Gingerbread/chocolate carousel.Grand Flordian has a HUGE gingerbread house
Old 09-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Princess Katherine
The Yeti's Girlfriend

WL looks great during Christmas! It's got that feel. It even looks Christmasy when it's not Christmas. So many pine trees.

Katie
Princess Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
CaptainKat
Mouseketeer

We stayed at WL last Christmas, and it was absolutely gorgeous; I highly recommend checking it out! We also toured around the monorail loop resorts. Grand Floridian has a beautiful big Victorian gingerbread house and one of the largest trees. Contemporary has a giant gingerbread tree and BLT is done up really well too.

Basically the deluxes are the resorts that are done up the fanciest, so if you have time, I'd check them all out.

Accepted for DCP Fall Advantage in the Pirate's League! Let the Countdown begin!
CaptainKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Poohs Pal
DIS Veteran
Beautiful and smart so she says

Grand Floridian is a must. Wilderness Lodge and Beach Club. Also if you can fit it in visit the camp ground after dark and check out the personally decorated camp sites.
Poohs Pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Boardwalk has a great display. We do all the deluxes. Poly was the disappointment last time. We went before and they had the most adorable mini gingerbread houses on display, last time nothing.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
mountdew1
DIS Veteran

Most of the deluxes have some sort of interesting display. WL, AKL, and GF all have huge intricately decorated Christmas trees. GF also has the life sized gingerbread house. They also happen to be my favorite resorts to check out. Contemporary has some stuff, but it is usually one the smaller side. Poly, BC, YC, Boardwalk, are all lacking a grand lobby to do a huge display, but they all do some sort of smaller display. The Mods/Values do have some stuff, but once again since most don't have a huge space to do large decorations they are often smaller in scale.

My suggestion? Late morning take the bus from your rest to DHS. Walk/take the boat and check out the Epcot resorts. Go back to DHS, take the bus to AKL, and then from AKL take the MK bus. At MK take the bus to WL, and then go back to MK, and do the monorail loop. Or maybe monorail loop first then WL. That lets you hit up pretty much all of the must see decorations. I think that the MK area/WL is better to see at night.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
sndral
DIS Veteran

I love WDW during the holidays. I would do as a pp suggested w/ a twist. Take the bus from your resort to DHS and then boat to BWI - wander through the lobby to see the cute Santa's workshop then out to the boardwalk area and stroll over to the BC to see the life size chocolate carousel horses - I love that display. YC has an underwhelming train display - so I'd skip it, Swan and Dolphin also are decorated, but I'd skip them too. After you've seen whichever of the BW/BC/YC/Swolphin resorts you like, walk out to the last resort's bus stop and take the bus to DTD - wander around DTD a bit, visit the Christmas store, maybe grab a bite to eat @ DTD.
After you've soaked up DTD grab a bus to AKL - get off @ Jambo house. Walk through the gift store (my favorite resort store btw) and take in the huge Christmas tree in the lobby - go up to the 3rd floor and admire it from the sky walkway up there. While you are there you can also go out by the pool to see the savanna lookout as well as out the back of the lobby to see the Arusha savanna outlook. Victoria Falls bar (I think that's the name)is a friendly place to grab a drink if you like, now back through the lobby and gift store to the bus stop.
From the AKL bus stop take the bus to MK. Walk from the MK bus stop to the resort monorail and go to the GF. Grab some gingerbread from the life size gingerbread house take a seat in the lobby, gaze at the gorgeous tree while you listen to the music being played on the grand piano as you munch your gingerbread. It should by now be evening, hop back on the monorail and ride it back to the front of MK. Walk down to the boat docks and take the boat to WL, walk through the beautiful grounds into the lobby, grab a rocking chair by the huge fireplace and enjoy the towering Christmas tree in the lobby - maybe grab dinner @ WL lodge or boat over to FW and have dinner there followed by a wander through the decorated campsites. Then boat back to the MK and bus back to your resort.
Edited to add: just saw you are staying offsite - I only know how to get around WDW using their transportation (I always fly in) so you may want to adjust plans to accommodate your car, maybe park @ TTC then walk over to the Poly lobby to check out their decorations and bus from Poly to DHS for the beginning of the itenerary I outlined. That way your car is conveniently waiting in the TTC parking lot after WL/FW that night?

Last edited by sndral; 09-01-2013 at 05:50 PM.
sndral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
Babsy
DIS Veteran

WE love all the resorts decorations at Christmas, but we like the WL best of all. So traditionally and magically decorated.

Lovely!
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
Denise773
Mouseketeer

We stayed at the cabins at Ft. Wilderness last year at it was amazing. Our kids loved driving around in our golf cart looking at the decorated campsites. It's was really wonderful!
Denise773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #12
plumsiren
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know when the Christmas decorations go up at the resorts?
plumsiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
I love WDW during the holidays. I would do as a pp suggested w/ a twist. Take the bus from your resort to DHS and then boat to BWI - wander through the lobby to see the cute Santa's workshop then out to the boardwalk area and stroll over to the BC to see the life size chocolate carousel horses - I love that display. YC has an underwhelming train display - so I'd skip it, Swan and Dolphin also are decorated, but I'd skip them too. After you've seen whichever of the BW/BC/YC/Swolphin resorts you like, walk out to the last resort's bus stop and take the bus to DTD - wander around DTD a bit, visit the Christmas store, maybe grab a bite to eat @ DTD.
After you've soaked up DTD grab a bus to AKL - get off @ Jambo house. Walk through the gift store (my favorite resort store btw) and take in the huge Christmas tree in the lobby - go up to the 3rd floor and admire it from the sky walkway up there. While you are there you can also go out by the pool to see the savanna lookout as well as out the back of the lobby to see the Arusha savanna outlook. Victoria Falls bar (I think that's the name)is a friendly place to grab a drink if you like, now back through the lobby and gift store to the bus stop.
From the AKL bus stop take the bus to MK. Walk from the MK bus stop to the resort monorail and go to the GF. Grab some gingerbread from the life size gingerbread house take a seat in the lobby, gaze at the gorgeous tree while you listen to the music being played on the grand piano as you munch your gingerbread. It should by now be evening, hop back on the monorail and ride it back to the front of MK. Walk down to the boat docks and take the boat to WL, walk through the beautiful grounds into the lobby, grab a rocking chair by the huge fireplace and enjoy the towering Christmas tree in the lobby - maybe grab dinner @ WL lodge or boat over to FW and have dinner there followed by a wander through the decorated campsites. Then boat back to the MK and bus back to your resort.
Edited to add: just saw you are staying offsite - I only know how to get around WDW using their transportation (I always fly in) so you may want to adjust plans to accommodate your car, maybe park @ TTC then walk over to the Poly lobby to check out their decorations and bus from Poly to DHS for the beginning of the itenerary I outlined. That way your car is conveniently waiting in the TTC parking lot after WL/FW that night?
Sounds good. I would have taken the boat from DTD to POR.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #14
Imaginationsetfree
Mouseketeer

You guys are so awesome! Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
mimilou29
Earning My Ears

Smile

I was down in Disney last Christmas and all of the resorts had amazing decorations! My favorite was the Beach Club because of the gingerbread displays inside. The entry way at Old Key West had some cute decorations but nothing spectacular...

The parks are amazing during Christmas... My favorite time to go!

mimilou29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: