Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #16
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by insureman View Post
From the RCCL website
"Food & Beverage

New Coke "Freestyle" machines

"From that point forward, Coca-Cola and Royal Caribbean began the effort to integrate the changes needed for the machines to work onboard our ships, which included a few health code modifications for a marine environment as well as the addition of RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) to use with our souvenir soda cups. The RFID cups allow guests to serve themselves for the period of their voyage and automatically expire after their voyage.

I am pleased to finally say that in early June, our multi-year efforts came to fruition. We completed the first installation of Coca-Cola Freestyle on Majesty of the Seas, with several other ships (all U.S. based) scheduled this year. We expect the deployment to continue well into 2013. As far as the Coca-Cola Innovation Lab, I have not been invited back since my initial visit, but if I do, I hope to find something else astounding to bring to the Fleet…and I’m not ruling out the fizzy lifting drinks either, by then they just might have it perfected."
Interesting. I'm sure DH would rather fill his own (several times) without going to a counter at the buffet to have a crew member do it.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #17
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Interesting. I'm sure DH would rather fill his own (several times) without going to a counter at the buffet to have a crew member do it.
I guess from reading someones review of RCCL soda dispenser, the rfid mug has to be sitting on the bottom drain area as to not contact the nozzle dispensing the beverage preventing germs contaminating the next person's drink.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #18
BobandLee
Proud Parrothead with Mouse Ears

Quote:
Since the resorts at WDW are now converting to the soda mugs with with rfid technology that time limits your refills, do you think Disney Cruise Line will follow with a similar system? I believe RCCL is using this technology now.
No. Despite what the other cruiselines are doing with this.
The other lines have gambling, which DCL does not.
These are a couple of areas I think that DCL will not ever change because it is what sets them apart from the others.

xxx
x
The color of the ships at the water line is DARK BLUE. Always has been. Always will be.
BobandLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #19
wdwwishes
DIS Veteran

I dislike the idea of folks using/reusing/using/reusing their cups over and over so I hope this doesn't change. I do think that there's a bit of taking advantage of the system on bard as I've seen folks go up the stations with a couple of empty 2 liter bottles to fill up. I'm sure the rationale is they're taking back to their rooms but I just found that a bit tacky.
A.K.L. 2008, 2011
Poly 2009
Wilderness Lodge 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
The Wonder 2007, 2009, 2011
The Fantasy 2013
The Dream 2014
The Magic 2015
wdwwishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #20
Tink-n-Belle
DIS Veteran

I hope not. I thought that was a nice touch.

Other cruise lines nickel and dime you....on NCl the charge extra for restaurants, soda and some exercise classes?? Really?? The prices were cheaper to go on that cruise, but my on board charges made up for it as everything cost more.....

We even got charged if we lost the towel....and had to exchange each one out.

I thought it was just awesome to have everything available without extra cost.

Obc were only $225. 1 picture, 100 minutes of Internet and the tips.

BWV 12,11,10,09,08,07, 06(2) *BLT 13,12,11,10 *BCV 13,12,06 *AKV 08*VB 06,08 & 09*Cont 02 *Poly 86 *Grand Floridian 88 *All Stars 94 & 04 *Club villas 84,85,87,90,92 & 99 *offsite 83,81,80,76 &73
Tink-n-Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #21
insureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwwishes View Post
I dislike the idea of folks using/reusing/using/reusing their cups over and over so I hope this doesn't change. I do think that there's a bit of taking advantage of the system on bard as I've seen folks go up the stations with a couple of empty 2 liter bottles to fill up. I'm sure the rationale is they're taking back to their rooms but I just found that a bit tacky.
That's why they may go to an RFID mug. It would limit a refill for a certain number of minutes. I'm pretty sure that people won't wait around to fill a 2 liter bottle if the machines are timed.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #22
moonlily8
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandNessa View Post
If DCL started charging for sodas, how would people continue justifying the higher cost for DCL over other cruise lines?!
Lmao! Always makes me chuckle.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
moonlily8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #23
insureman

Validfill is the name of the company that uses the RFID technology on RCCL. I believe this the same company that implemented the RFID mugs at Disney World.

http://www.validfill.com/
Old 09-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #24
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Since the resorts at WDW are now converting to the soda mugs with with rfid technology that time limits your refills, do you think Disney Cruise Line will follow with a similar system? I believe RCCL is using this technology now.
I don't think they will - already they get people to pay for water. Water!! I hope people keep paying for that, so the rest of us can have free sugar water (aka soda)
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #25
TChrist05
DIS Veteran

Folks....they already charge you for the soda. They get it from you when you pay for your cruise 3 months in advance. They are pricey and yes you do get what you pay for but they are getting paid for all the soda and coffee they dispense.
TChrist05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #26
insureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChrist05 View Post
Folks....they already charge you for the soda. They get it from you when you pay for your cruise 3 months in advance. They are pricey and yes you do get what you pay for but they are getting paid for all the soda and coffee they dispense.
My concern if they use the RFID model is the time limit between refills. There are alot of reports from WDW resort guests of long lines and mugs not be recognized by the machines. Also the RFID mug from Validfill, the company who manufactures the machines and RFID mugs states that no outside computer server needs to be used because all the info is on the RFID tag. What information is stored on the RFID? Unlike the new Magic bands that are used in the parks which only contain a number that WDW has attached to the reservation, the new mug tags contain much more info. Validfill isn't saying what is being stored on the RFID chip except that they can track how much beverage is being consumed per customer. Their sales pdf is below.

http://www.validfill.com/documents/C...ne%20Pager.pdf
Old 09-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
PATTERSON PARTY OF 3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChrist05 View Post
True. But it does not hurt as much as seeing your paying $365 for 3 drink packages on Celebrity. I literally was stroking out during that purchase.
PATTERSON PARTY OF 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #28
insureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATTERSON PARTY OF 3 View Post
True. But it does not hurt as much as seeing your paying $365 for 3 drink packages on Celebrity. I literally was stroking out during that purchase.
Is that for soda only?
Old 09-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #29
Microbe1936
Mouseketeer

Don't see this happening on the DCL ships. The money on cruise ships? including DCL, is made in alcoholic beverages, not sodas.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
1977 - Polynesian, 1979 - Contemporary, 1982 - Contemporary, 1988 - Contemporary, 1992 - Polynesian, 1996 - Disneyland California, 1996-2001 - Cast Member (Opening Crew Animal Kingdom & Disney Magic), 2005 - Coronado Springs & Florida Annual Pass Holder Begins, 2011 - Fort Wilderness 4x, 2012 - Fort Wilderness 5x, 2012 - Hong Kong Disneyland, First Disney Dream 5N Cruise, 2013. Fort Wilderness - 3x, and Disney Dream 3N Cruise in Concierge

Microbe1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #30
SuperDry
DIS Veteran

RCCL and WDW have RFID mugs because they charge extra for soda, including an unlimited option, and need a way to charge for it and enforce it. DCL doesn't charge extra for unlimited soda - there's no reason for them to just put in RFID for the sake of it, and then change the pricing model just because they now have RFID. As to the people that fill up 2 liter bottles, it costs DCL almost nothing in syrup, and there's no lost revenue either, since everyone already has unlimited. Where it would be a problem is where you have a system where unlimited is optional like at WDW: then you have to have metering in order to prevent one person in the family buying the unlimited package and then using it for everyone.
SuperDry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: