Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

DCL to start charging for soda?

Since the resorts at WDW are now converting to the soda mugs with with rfid technology that time limits your refills, do you think Disney Cruise Line will follow with a similar system? I believe RCCL is using this technology now.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

No.
SuperDry is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by insureman View Post
Since the resorts at WDW are now converting to the soda mugs with with rfid technology that time limits your refills, do you think Disney Cruise Line will follow with a similar system? I believe RCCL is using this technology now.
I think the issue with the parks is primarily that people were bringing back mugs from past visits.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wouldn't think so. At least, I certainly hope not.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I doubt it. They would have to go back to having CMs at the soda stations. They dropped it years ago because honestly the cost for a cup of soda from a fountain is pennies. When I waitressed I was told that it wasn't a big deal to give refills because we already made a high profit on it.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
postalchick71
Mouseketeer

I still have my old cups from where you had to pay for soda on DCL.
2011-7 Night Magic(Western)
2012-7 Night Magic(Western)
2013-March 24 Dream
2014-April 12 Fantasy
postalchick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I would doubt it. They used to charge (we still bring our mugs on cruises), then they dropped the charge. Problem is, now many people consider that something they're entitled to on DCL and would be very upset if they changed back. Remember when they wanted reasonable limits on the alcohol you could bring onboard? You would've thought they weren't going to have Mickey on board any more with all the upset folks!!

Nope, won't happen.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
If they are, it isn't on all the ships. We were on the Radiance in June and they still used the sticker on the room key card. and only allowed one Diet Coke at a time. really? DH goes through 2-3 per meal and was hacked that he had to order them separately at the buffet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
I doubt it. They would have to go back to having CMs at the soda stations. They dropped it years ago because honestly the cost for a cup of soda from a fountain is pennies. When I waitressed I was told that it wasn't a big deal to give refills because we already made a high profit on it.
I thought Coke "donates" the cups in exchange for DCL using the Coke logo on those cups. It's probably cheaper to have free soda than pay for a CM to monitor the stations round the clock.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

If DCL started charging for sodas, how would people continue justifying the higher cost for DCL over other cruise lines?!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Hope not.....I am really surprised WDW is going the way it is with the refillable mugs.....I guess they were losing a lot of money. We are headed to WDW in October and anxious to see how they will work. I can't imagine that many people kept bringing back their old mugs for free refills???

I have several DCL Mugs from when there was the soda program onboard!!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
I thought Coke "donates" the cups in exchange for DCL using the Coke logo on those cups. It's probably cheaper to have free soda than pay for a CM to monitor the stations round the clock.
I meant the cost of the cup of soda --> syrup & CO2. Coke probably does have a deal for the actual cups.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
jennypenny
Raising 3 disneyholics like any proper parent!

I doubt it. For health reasons, they want people to use the disposable cups.

Honestly, we got the mugs on our recent trip to WDW and I kept thinking how unsanitary it was. People were dumping out the dregs in their mugs into the garbage can and then refilling the mug. Blech.

I wake up dreaming of the Beach Club...
jennypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
I have several DCL Mugs from when there was the soda program onboard!!!

MJ
So do we!

We still use them almost everyday. (Well, at least my teenage daughter does for coffee everyday.) Just the right size and pretty much spill-proof.

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #14
FLmom97
Earning My Ears

I hate to see a "forced buy" on anything -- even if Disney is trying to eliminate some paper cups.
FLmom97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #15
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
If they are, it isn't on all the ships. We were on the Radiance in June and they still used the sticker on the room key card. and only allowed one Diet Coke at a time. really? DH goes through 2-3 per meal and was hacked that he had to order them separately at the buffet..

From the RCCL website
"Food & Beverage

Q: What is the fountain soda package?

A: The fountain soda package entitles you to unlimited refills at any of our bars or lounges, Windjammer Café, Main Dining Room and our private destinations. A complimentary Coca-Cola® souvenir cup is included as part of every fountain soda package. The cost of a fountain soda package is determined by the length of your stay, with an average daily cost of $6.50 for adults and $4.50 for children* plus gratuity. (*Child prices available for kids under 18.) The fountain soda package is sold for the entire length of the cruise vacation only. Only fountain soda is offered with the soda packages. The mini bar sodas are not included in the package and carry a separate charge."

New Coke "Freestyle" machines

"From that point forward, Coca-Cola and Royal Caribbean began the effort to integrate the changes needed for the machines to work onboard our ships, which included a few health code modifications for a marine environment as well as the addition of RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) to use with our souvenir soda cups. The RFID cups allow guests to serve themselves for the period of their voyage and automatically expire after their voyage.

I am pleased to finally say that in early June, our multi-year efforts came to fruition. We completed the first installation of Coca-Cola Freestyle on Majesty of the Seas, with several other ships (all U.S. based) scheduled this year. We expect the deployment to continue well into 2013. As far as the Coca-Cola Innovation Lab, I have not been invited back since my initial visit, but if I do, I hope to find something else astounding to bring to the Fleet…and I’m not ruling out the fizzy lifting drinks either, by then they just might have it perfected."
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: