Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #166
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Good morning all!

This is a recycled QOTD but we always seem to need this during some part of every challenge.

25 Ways to Get Back on Track Today
Don't Give Up on Your Goals!

-- By Nicole Nichols, Fitness Instructor & Health Educator

Not long ago, you were energetic and determined to start your healthy lifestyle. Starting with enthusiasm and hope, you watched your food intake diligently, exercised like it was going out of style, and even avoided the temptation that seemed to lurk around every corner. You were confident that you were going to reach your goals once and for all!

Then certain tragedy struck! You ate an extra piece of birthday cake. Realizing you had “blown” your diet, you ate another and another and couldn’t get it together the next day either. Or worse, you missed one workout, and that turned into a whole week away from the gym. After that, your momentum to start over again was gone, and your gym bag hasn’t left the closet since.

Every time you misstep on your healthy journey, you have two choices: to keep walking backwards, which will surely take you even further away from your goals; or to accept your lack of perfection as normal and forgivable, and take not one, but two positive steps down the path that brings your closer to the future you want.

If you’re reading this, you might have been walking backwards for a while. But instead of waiting for the next day, week, month or even year to overhaul your habits, start TODAY. And start small. You can’t go from the recliner to running or from burgers to Brussels sprouts in an afternoon. But you can do one, two or even a handful of small things that will help you regain your momentum for healthy living.

When you feel like getting back on track is overwhelming, try one (or more) of these small steps each day.

1. Try a short workout. Even five minutes is better than nothing. For ideas browse our video library or workout generator.

2. Try a new recipe. Cooking healthy foods can be fun and it never has to be bland.

3. Eat a healthy breakfast. Your morning meal sets the stage for the rest of your day, so start if off right! Get lots of breakfast ideas here.

4. Drink your water. Try to aim for 8 cups each day and you’ll feel the difference!

5. Look at Motivational Stories. Seeing how others overcome similar struggles and obstacles can be a great source of motivation.

6. Track your food today. No matter how it adds up, you’ll learn from it.

7. Update your progress record. It’s a visual way to track your ups and downs, but also your progress.

8. Share your goals. Whether you post them on the Message Boards or share them with a friend, you’ll be more accountable.

9. Exercise for 10 minutes. Jump rope, march in place, or do some crunches. Small amounts do add up to something big!

10. Find a buddy. Get support from friends, whether you need someone to listen or a mentor to give you ideas and encouragement.

11. Take a walk. Don’t worry about how long or far you go—just get out there!

12. Create a motivational collage. Include pictures of your goal and reasons why you want to get there.

13. Go shopping for some healthy foods. Use this shopping list for ideas.

14. Check the nutrition facts before you go out to eat. That way, you can make an informed choice.

15. Ride your bike. Even a leisurely ride has benefits for your body and mind.

16. Work in the yard. Gardening and yard work is a great way to add activity to your day.

17. Take the stairs. Even if this is the only thing you do all day, you’ll feel stronger for it.

18. Rack up those SparkPoints! You earn them for every healthy task you do on the site—talk about motivating! Aim for a certain milestone, such as 100 points, and then reward yourself with a SparkGoodie!

19. Listen to an inspirational song. Better yet, make a playlist of them so you can turn to it whenever you need a boost.

20. Re-start your SparkPeople program. Sometimes it’s easier to get back on track when you have a clean slate.

21. Measure your portions. It’s a simple way to learn how much you’re eating.

22. Eat a piece of fruit. Even if 5-9 servings of fruit and vegetables sounds impossible to you, one is doable.

23. Slow down during meals. You’ll be less likely to overeat and more likely to enjoy your meal.

24. Play! What kids call “play,” we often call “exercise.” Play a sport, a game, or use the playground equipment to bring the fun back into fitness.

25. Learn something new. Sometimes simply taking a quiz or reading an article about nutrition, fitness, or health can change your mindset and get you back on track.

In tennis, losing one point isn’t the end of the world. It happens to the best of them. In fact, if you can consistently win a few more points that you lose, you may end up in the hall of fame. With healthy eating and exercising, as long as you’re consistently out-stepping your steps back, you’re ahead of the game. If you expect perfection (and many of us do), you’re setting yourself up for disappointment and guilt.

You CAN get back on track today. Even if you’re moving slowly, you’ll be moving in the right direction!

Here is a link to the entire article http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...id=1062&page=2

QOTD Tuesday, September 17, 2013: Which of these ideas have you used to get yourself back on track? Or do you have another idea to get yourself back on track that is not listed?

Have a great day all!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #167
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Angry Help!

Totally off topic question here but I am getting SO aggravated that I can't figure this out: How the HECK do I post pics? I read the instructions that said to pick the Pictures and Albums Link in my user control panel, but that link isn't there! Am I looking in the wrong place? I'm looking at the one to the left of my subscribed threads where you can edit your signature, avatar, etc. Thanks!

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #168
lisah0711
her Disney office

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
Totally off topic question here but I am getting SO aggravated that I can't figure this out: How the HECK do I post pics? I read the instructions that said to pick the Pictures and Albums Link in my user control panel, but that link isn't there! Am I looking in the wrong place? I'm looking at the one to the left of my subscribed threads where you can edit your signature, avatar, etc. Thanks!
I feel your pain, Kim, it is hard to find stuff on the Dis sometimes.

There are a couple of options for posting pictures. One is to upload the picture to a photosharing site like photobucket and then link to the picture in your post.

You can also link to photos in your Facebook by copying the image location and then copying it in your post with the words [IMG*] at the front and [/IMG*] at the end -- you have to take out the * in my example.

I hope you aren't changing your avatar picture because I love seeing your sweet dog. My sweet black lab girl is snoring on the couch right now.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #169
lisah0711
her Disney office

Here is a link to a video tutorial, Kim. http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...66&postcount=1
Old 09-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #170
PlutoBaby

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
I feel your pain, Kim, it is hard to find stuff on the Dis sometimes.

There are a couple of options for posting pictures. One is to upload the picture to a photosharing site like photobucket and then link to the picture in your post.

You can also link to photos in your Facebook by copying the image location and then copying it in your post with the words [IMG*] at the front and [/IMG*] at the end -- you have to take out the * in my example.

I hope you aren't changing your avatar picture because I love seeing your sweet dog. My sweet black lab girl is snoring on the couch right now.
The only way I would change my avatar would be with another pic of the love of my life!

Thanks for the help. I'm so computer challenged sometimes, I have no idea what you're telling me! Lol! I just realized the Networking link on my Quick Links dropdown menu isn't there, so I contacted the DIS directly to see if they can help me. I'm not giving up!

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #171
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post

First--Jill--That is an amazing time for a 5k! Congrats to you.
Thank you!

Don't give up on September, just maybe relax a bit I hope the move goes smoothly, then you can get back into a normal routine. Good luck and keep up those runs. It's amazing!

Quote:
Good morning all!

We've talked about superstitions and secrets so far this week so today I thought we would talk about power . . . the power of words!

Motivational quotes can inspire you when you’re up in the clouds or feeling low. Losing weight is hard, and it’s easy to lose belief in yourself. Loss of momentum can cause you to backslide and forget about your diet and exercise regimens. Boosting yourself up with inspirational weight loss quotes can help you find the courage and stamina necessary to continue on your journey.

Everyone needs motivation some times. Having some inspiration words to go to can help you get over a rough patch or simply bring a smile to your day.

QOTD Monday, September 16, 2013: Share your favorite motivational quote or mantra or any other words that motivate you.

BRB with replies and my answer.
I enjoy a few quotes, but sitting here at soccer practice, I cannot remember them
However, I've enjoyed the ones posted. Thanks!

Quote:

congratulations on your 5k PR! Doesn't that just make you feel like a million bucks?

It is a tough time of year getting everyone back in their routines. It's so nice that your DH supports you and your healthy lifestyle.
Thank you! I was definitely smiling a lot more that day.

Yes, I am very lucky for DH. He is very supportive, but he's the type that can eat anything he wants & not gain :/ It can get annoying! Luckily, he usually snacks on things when I'm not around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post

I think I am more motivated by the posts I can find here and the chatter. I haven been struggling with weight for so long, but over the last few years it has been a lot of losing and regaining the same 8 pounds over and over again. And I realised today that over the course of the last 12 months I managed to keep focussed on eating healthy for a very long time. Some was with setbacks, especially December last year was really really bad. But I also realised that one year ago was the first time I became active in a Biggest Loser thread. I think I signed up before, but never participated. Then last fall I decided to come out and chat more. And then starting with the new format in January I really did chat much more than before. I am sure that this is something that kept me going, it is the reason why this year I had really bad weeks, not months at a time. My bad months have mainly been maintains and since December was so bad, I started out the new year at nearly the same weight as my September 2012 weight. So I can say that I have lost 15 pounds this year. Which I am very content with and I know I would not have been able to do this without the support of all of you!

I am starting to feel very confident that this time I will finally really make it down to my dream weight! But I do have interim goals. Fortunately the scale is moving again, I saw another low number today. Only half a pound and I will below the lowest weight I ever had since I started Weight Watchers for the first time in 2005!
15 pounds is amazing! Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myweegirls View Post

2) Secrets to success - I always, always do better when I write down everything I eat. My last WW leader had a whole list of sayings - If you bite it, write it. Before you pick up a utensil, pick up a pencil. Etc, etc. Whenever I get off track, the first thing I do to put it back together is start tracking every nibble.

3) Motivational quotes - I don't so much have full quotes as I do short little mantras for while I'm running. There are two: "Suck it up, buttercup" and "Allons-y!" Anyone who loves the tenth doctor as much as I do knows that second one. It's French for "let's go!" and it's even engraved on my RoadID.

Speaking of running...oh, you guys. That race on Saturday was baaaad. I mean, I finished, and I'm so glad, but it was a poorly organized race and ended up being my worst time to date. I can blame external factors to a point, but I also learned good lessons about doing extra research and prep for races that are new.

The traffic getting to the race was terrible. I left twice the time I'd need to get to the start line an hour early, and I was still sitting in traffic when the roads were supposed to be closing. The race started 90 minutes late (!!!), so my pre-race food and water were a moot point by the time we started running.

The organizers misstated the elevation gain for the race - they said 266 feet, but it was more like 800 feet. A much, much hillier race than advertised! And they forgot to note that a lot of the race was on dirt roads...rocks, dust, not anything I'd trained for, and the uneven terrain caused a lot of runners to trip.

DH and DDs came to cheer me on - they saw me off at the start and were at the finish line when I finally staggered across. I made sure to run across the finish line to show DDs a strong mommy but I was really feeling it by then. I posted my slowest time for a half (2:33), but all in all, I'm proud of myself for not quitting when I felt like that's all I wanted to do, and I have some good experience under my belt for future races. That which does not kill us, right? The next one is less than four weeks away - my cousin is running it, too, and my mom will get to see me race for the first time! I want to stay good and strong for that one.

In other news, DD the Older turns 9 today! My sweet, beautiful girl is growing up so fast. Today is my on-campus commuting day, and I hate that I had to leave before she was up, but I'm going to call her before they leave for the bus stop. I made her mommy cake last night (what we call the homemade cake - she gets a party cake at American Girl this weekend, save me now!!), and that's coming with us out to dinner tonight. Birthday girl's choice, and we're going to our favorite local sushi restaurant! That and a light lunch mean Mommy will enjoy a nice piece of cake without going over points today.

And not to end on a down note, but I'd be remiss not to acknowledge the sadness here in DC today...a friend's husband works at the Navy Yard and was running late yesterday. He got there after they'd shut the place down, and he went back home to his wife and their two little boys. My heart is aching for those families who weren't able to have those reunions yesterday.

Lots of love to all - I'm calling this a count-my-blessings Tuesday.

XOXO
Liz

I agree with tracking. I do so much better as well.

So sorry about the chaos of your race. But, you still got out there and did it. That's an great accomplishment no matter what your time was.

Glad to hear your friend's husband was not around when this tragedy struck. It's so sad & prayers to all affected.

Quote:
Good morning all!

QOTD Tuesday, September 17, 2013: Which of these ideas have you used to get yourself back on track? Or do you have another idea to get yourself back on track that is not listed?

Have a great day all!
If I need to get back on track, I always drink only water (and more of it) and track my food. It's crazy how those 2 things can turn my attitude and weight around.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm at soccer practice typing on my phone, so I am going to stop here. I'll try to get on the computer when I get home, but if not, I'll be back tomorrow

Jill
Old 09-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #172
ohMom
Kids Get Arthritis Too!
Amen and Hallelujah Sister!!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarshall14 View Post
Is it too late for me to join? I'm new to all this!
of course you can join! we'd for you to join! please join!!!

(this is my oldest daughter!!! welcome Taylor!)

and a hearty to the rest of our newcomers too!

I have been very absent this month.... my apologies but most of all i'm disappointed to myself!! we started this month with two very busy weekends, then I spent 10 days recovering from overdoing it! I finally caved in and increased my meds and now I fear a weight gain from it. I need to give myself a week on the higher dose before I decide not too stay on it. the downside was I so exhausted and I can't tell you the last time I exercised but I am determined to get my walking shoes on tomorrow morning!

and..though my losses have been very small...i'm please to say I've gone down one size in my jeans. it's a small step but i'll take it!

Co-Moderator WISH forum -- Take the WISH challenge here.........
ohMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #173
mainemooncat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Good morning all!

[QOTD Tuesday, September 17, 2013: Which of these ideas have you used to get yourself back on track? Or do you have another idea to get yourself back on track that is not listed?
I enjoyed reading this whole list and have used many but also saw some new ones that I might try. Thanks for posting! One I did not see on there was one I have used in the past when I am pretty desperate, and that is to look at old photos when I am at a healthier weight and remember that the reason I have no newer photos is because I won't take any at this weight. That reminds me of my goal to be at my goal weight before our first trip to Disney next year. Do I really not want to be in any pictures because of my weight? Am I willing to do that to myself, my DH, and my DD? Helps keep me on track, at least for now!

Also found all of the motivational quotes posts by others really inspiring! Thanks for sharing all the quotes, pics, etc.!

Hope everyone is having a great week so far and doing the best they can in staying on track/program.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #174
PlutoBaby

Quote:
Here is a link to a video tutorial, Kim. http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...66&postcount=1
Thanks Lisa! I also emailed the DIS directly. Unfortunately, they were sort of less than helpful. Felt like I was bothering them.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #175
nocomment711
Ces Soirees-La

So it's been a while since I posted here. I was doing so well while I was in New Mexico, then life happened. I lost my job and not only fell off the wagon, but ran away from it screaming. I'm back up to higher than I was before and really need to get working on it.

Glad to be back though.
nocomment711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #176
PlutoBaby

It worked!!!!!

Thanks Lisa! Yippee!!!! Now that I've figured out how to do this, please bear with me while I have some fun with it!

BTW-this is me hanging with my fave at last year's Wine and Dine Half...

Old 09-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #177
PlutoBaby

Talking

Calypso's favorite place to be...and yes, she TOTALLY ignores the ducks.

Mt. Vesuvio from our hotel in Sorrento, Italy.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #178
lisah0711
her Disney office

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
If I need to get back on track, I always drink only water (and more of it) and track my food. It's crazy how those 2 things can turn my attitude and weight around.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm at soccer practice typing on my phone, so I am going to stop here. I'll try to get on the computer when I get home, but if not, I'll be back tomorrow

Jill
Wow! I was so impressed with your long reply with multi-quotes and everything from your phone! I can read from my phone and that's about it.

Great point about getting back on track with tracking and water!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohMom View Post
of course you can join! we'd for you to join! please join!!!

(this is my oldest daughter!!! welcome Taylor!)

and a hearty to the rest of our newcomers too!

I have been very absent this month.... my apologies but most of all i'm disappointed to myself!! we started this month with two very busy weekends, then I spent 10 days recovering from overdoing it! I finally caved in and increased my meds and now I fear a weight gain from it. I need to give myself a week on the higher dose before I decide not too stay on it. the downside was I so exhausted and I can't tell you the last time I exercised but I am determined to get my walking shoes on tomorrow morning!

and..though my losses have been very small...i'm please to say I've gone down one size in my jeans. it's a small step but i'll take it!
How fun to have a mother/daughter team! And what lovely daughters you have, Molli, since I get to enjoy your pictures when I am sending you FB games goodies. Sounds like you are losing inches and when I am losing inches I could care less what the scale says. Hang in there on the meds adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemooncat View Post
I enjoyed reading this whole list and have used many but also saw some new ones that I might try. Thanks for posting! One I did not see on there was one I have used in the past when I am pretty desperate, and that is to look at old photos when I am at a healthier weight and remember that the reason I have no newer photos is because I won't take any at this weight. That reminds me of my goal to be at my goal weight before our first trip to Disney next year. Do I really not want to be in any pictures because of my weight? Am I willing to do that to myself, my DH, and my DD? Helps keep me on track, at least for now!

Also found all of the motivational quotes posts by others really inspiring! Thanks for sharing all the quotes, pics, etc.!

Hope everyone is having a great week so far and doing the best they can in staying on track/program.
Your back on track point about looking at old pictures is a good one!

And you can't go to WDW and not be in the family pictures. Those memories are for your family, too. You can do it!

Quote:
Thanks Lisa! I also emailed the DIS directly. Unfortunately, they were sort of less than helpful. Felt like I was bothering them.
The link to the video tutorials is from a stickie in the Welcome to the Dis section. I have faith that you will be able to post a picture soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocomment711 View Post
So it's been a while since I posted here. I was doing so well while I was in New Mexico, then life happened. I lost my job and not only fell off the wagon, but ran away from it screaming. I'm back up to higher than I was before and really need to get working on it.

Glad to be back though.
So sorry to hear about your job loss and fall from the wagon. That is a tough situation for sure. But luckily the wagon is right here and ready to pick you up today! We are glad you are back.

QOTD Wednesday, September 18, 2013: It's woo hoo Wednesday -- share your woo hoo moment from the week, big or small!

My woo hoo moment this week was putting on my smaller sized jeans from last spring this week and having them fit perfectly -- another confirmation that even though I pretty much maintained this summer I did not back slide.

Have a great day all!

Last edited by lisah0711; 09-18-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #179
PlutoBaby

Talking

QOTD Wednesday, September 18, 2013: It's woo hoo Wednesday -- share your woo hoo moment from the week, big of small!

Do I even really need to answer that??? I CAN POST PICTURES!!!!

Okay, now that I have that out of my system it's definitely not a big whoohoo, but the scale did go in the right direction this week, even if it was just a miniscule amount!

Old 09-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #180
lisah0711
her Disney office

Quote:

Thanks Lisa! Yippee!!!! Now that I've figured out how to do this, please bear with me while I have some fun with it!

BTW-this is me hanging with my fave at last year's Wine and Dine Half...
Woo hoo! You did it!

Great pictures, too. Love how Calypso doesn't need to "retreive" the ducks.

And really interesting to see Mt. Vesuvius from the Sorrento angle. Here is how is looked from the Naples angle.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: