Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #151
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion
 
pjlla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 9,436

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Which brings me to the QOTD Saturday, 9/14/13 and Sunday, 9/15/13: What is your favorite secret of success? It can be from this list or one of your own.

I will be back later with more replies and my own answer. Have a great week-end!
TRACKING, TRACKING, TRACKING.... oh, and did I mention??? TRACKING!! That is BY FAR, my number one (not-so) secret to success, followed closely by WEIGHING/MEASURING portions! The way I see it, if you don't know what you're eating or how much, how can you possibly continue to be successful at weight loss. We ALL got here by eating TOO MUCH (sometimes of the right things, often of the wrong things). And it is asking FAR TOO MUCH of our busy brains to remember EVERYTHING we've eaten, all day. So TRACKING. And if we aren't keeping an eye on our portions, how do we know if we are eating 3 PPV/300 calories of chicken breast or 5 PPV/500 calories! Is that salad dressing we drizzled on our salad directly from the bottle a tablespoon or 3 tablespoons?? And if we don't know how much it was, how can we accurately track it??

***************

Sorry I haven't been on today. Trying to keep busy here around the house and get some projects done before the weather turns on us. Got one window scraped and painted and another one scraped (and I will paint it tomorrow if I don't work). Plan is to get all four front downstairs windows done this week and then move to one or two more that are in desperate shape, hopefully all before it gets too cold.

Had a juicing day today, but got too hungry and had to grab a peach. Plan on having a vegetable dinner... but real whole veggies that I can chew! Men will have lovely leftover pot roast!

TTYL......................P
__________________




WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #152
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,136

I have not disappeared off the face of the earth.

But it has been an interesting month or so.

First--Jill--That is an amazing time for a 5k! Congrats to you.

I have given up on September. I know there are still two weeks left, but I also know I am going to stress eat my way through those two weeks. Just being real.

I am going to work very hard to get in my exercise and to eat some healthy food each day. That's the best I can do right now.

We move Friday and Saturday into an apartment and the closing on our house is the 24th. It has all been very emotional, but it's going to be ok.

We still don't have a long range plan--actually not sure what we are going to do. We leased an apartment for 6 mos. So that will give us some time to take a breath and regroup.

I ran 8 miles today, so that's good. And it wasn't too painful. I have also kept up with my mile a day for the year.

Really looking forward to W&D in November.

I plan to hit it hard in October--training and food choices.

I have done this before, and I can do it again.
__________________
Rose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #153
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.
 
PlutoBaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 984

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
I have not disappeared off the face of the earth.

But it has been an interesting month or so.

First--Jill--That is an amazing time for a 5k! Congrats to you.

I have given up on September. I know there are still two weeks left, but I also know I am going to stress eat my way through those two weeks. Just being real.

I am going to work very hard to get in my exercise and to eat some healthy food each day. That's the best I can do right now.

We move Friday and Saturday into an apartment and the closing on our house is the 24th. It has all been very emotional, but it's going to be ok.

We still don't have a long range plan--actually not sure what we are going to do. We leased an apartment for 6 mos. So that will give us some time to take a breath and regroup.

I ran 8 miles today, so that's good. And it wasn't too painful. I have also kept up with my mile a day for the year.

Really looking forward to W&D in November.

I plan to hit it hard in October--training and food choices.

I have done this before, and I can do it again.
Hi Rose! I've been wondering where you've been. Can I officially welcome you to the Sunshine State yet? Don't give up on September yet, it's only half over! I hear you about October though. I want to be down as much as possible before showtime on November 9th.

Hope everybody had a great weekend. I was actually pretty good both with food and the exercise. I hate those days though where I have no energy and don't feel like doing anything. Those usually end up being my "snack on everything in sight" days. That being said, I could have been a LOT worse, but made a conscious effort to keep things in check. Of course, throwing in a 2 hour nap in the middle of Sunday afternoon helped too! Here's to kicking the scale's butt this week for all of us.
__________________
www.blackdogrunsdisney.com

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #154
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser
 
lisah0711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 5,299

Good morning all!

We've talked about superstitions and secrets so far this week so today I thought we would talk about power . . . the power of words!

Motivational quotes can inspire you when you’re up in the clouds or feeling low. Losing weight is hard, and it’s easy to lose belief in yourself. Loss of momentum can cause you to backslide and forget about your diet and exercise regimens. Boosting yourself up with inspirational weight loss quotes can help you find the courage and stamina necessary to continue on your journey.

Everyone needs motivation some times. Having some inspiration words to go to can help you get over a rough patch or simply bring a smile to your day.









QOTD Monday, September 16, 2013: Share your favorite motivational quote or mantra or any other words that motivate you.

BRB with replies and my answer.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #155
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser
 
lisah0711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 5,299

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisFam95 View Post
Oh man I'm needing that "don't sweat the small stuff" reminders! Had a bad day at the movies. We went To a new place where you eat there (like real food, dinner etc). We had a food gift card. We just ordered the popcorn and each had a soft pretzel so I know all that salt is going to kill me today (I weigh daily to hopefully help keep my focus).

DH went to the farmers market and bought 3 loaves of bread!! What the heck. It's the best sourdough I've ever had and some raisin walnut bread that I've eaten almost a whole loaf myself over a weekend just eating slices of bread. Man this baker it great. But I have to tell myself "bread is cake" and try to avoid it as much as possible.

I so want this week to show a loss but I just can't get my act together. Then went to a new little beer store that carries a great selection of new and obscure beers, and picked several to try. So now I have that to contend with.

Ugh. Well I'm going to drag myself on the treadmill which I feel is a waste because its not helping lose but just maintain.

Oh well. Shut up bad voices, dust myself off, I can only change what's coming ahead of me and not what's in the past.
Great attitude! Sorry for all the yummy temptations coming all at once but maybe best to get them over with? I know you will be back on track and knocking down those goals soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
QOTD: I guess my "secrets" aren't really secrets at all. My successes come down to staying very active, portion control and what is making up those portions. It's funny because last night the DH and I went with our BFF's to our favorite upscale Italian place (our friend/the owner is from Salerno and helped us plan our trip), where we had a great bottle of wine, Hoenig. I told those guys I rarely drank anything before I met them, so I must have been making up for lost time the past few years! So now that I'm done partying like a rock star, and since I'm sure that's what's been my biggest enemy for losing, I expect to see some great results. Plus, since those guys all like red wine much more than I do, I'll drink what they do but only a glass or two at the most. I'll save the margaritas for the big celebrations from now on.
Great plan! I know a lot of WW people who make it a point to earn APs so they can enjoy a nice glass of wine or adult beverage. That is one of the nice things about WW, you can enjoy everything. A margarita after W&D sounds like a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat fan View Post
Sounds like we have the same kind of voices in our heads! Keep your chin up!
Nicely put!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza32 View Post
No Target in the UK unfortunately Lisa...we do have Asda though which is the UK part of Wal-Mart and their running clothing is quite good. Bras are another matter though. I'm a 38F, so need something really solid for running!!! Only ones that seem strong enough are Shock Absorber.
That is a challenge for sure. Here is a link to an article that was published in Runner's World last summer that might be helpful called The Best Sports Bras for Runners. http://www.runnersworld.com/running-...vo?page=single Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
Try not to be too hard on yourself. I really try not to beat myself up if I eat a cupcake or fudge, or, if I decide I want a piece of pizza instead of a salad. Also, do not compare yourself to others. Everyone is different and unique, so do not worry about others. Do your best and celebrate your successes!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello everyone! Omgsh...I've missed this place! I really didn't realize how busy I was going to be once I started back to work. I pretty much go to work, workout if I have time, come home & help with homework, make/eat dinner, and run to either soccer, drum lessons, or gymnastics. Luckily, I have a great husband who works 12 hour weekend shifts, so during the week he is home and encourages me to workout right after I get done at work. If he wasn't home with the kids, I would probably never get a run in! In fact, I ran a local police 5k this morning. It was a fun race and I PRd with a 28:30. I was 7th in my age group (35-39) and only about 170 people ran total! These 35-39 year old chicks can run

So, I am about to head back and catch up on everything while I watch some football. I hope all is well around here. I totally feel bad that I haven't been able to get on and reply to everyone. Hopefully now that we have the daily routines down better, I'll have more time to be here. I'll catch up again soon. Have a great day.

Jill
congratulations on your 5k PR! Doesn't that just make you feel like a million bucks?

It is a tough time of year getting everyone back in their routines. It's so nice that your DH supports you and your healthy lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
TRACKING, TRACKING, TRACKING.... oh, and did I mention??? TRACKING!! That is BY FAR, my number one (not-so) secret to success, followed closely by WEIGHING/MEASURING portions! The way I see it, if you don't know what you're eating or how much, how can you possibly continue to be successful at weight loss. We ALL got here by eating TOO MUCH (sometimes of the right things, often of the wrong things). And it is asking FAR TOO MUCH of our busy brains to remember EVERYTHING we've eaten, all day. So TRACKING. And if we aren't keeping an eye on our portions, how do we know if we are eating 3 PPV/300 calories of chicken breast or 5 PPV/500 calories! Is that salad dressing we drizzled on our salad directly from the bottle a tablespoon or 3 tablespoons?? And if we don't know how much it was, how can we accurately track it??

***************

Sorry I haven't been on today. Trying to keep busy here around the house and get some projects done before the weather turns on us. Got one window scraped and painted and another one scraped (and I will paint it tomorrow if I don't work). Plan is to get all four front downstairs windows done this week and then move to one or two more that are in desperate shape, hopefully all before it gets too cold.

Had a juicing day today, but got too hungry and had to grab a peach. Plan on having a vegetable dinner... but real whole veggies that I can chew! Men will have lovely leftover pot roast!

TTYL......................P
Tracking is a big part of success. No one likes to do it but it makes a huge difference in your success for sure.

Good job getting those projects done before the weather turns. We still have a few fall projects to get through here and the weather has definitely turned at last. Still no frost though it is only a matter of time.

Darn those smilie police. BRB.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #156
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser
 
lisah0711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 5,299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
I have not disappeared off the face of the earth.

But it has been an interesting month or so.

First--Jill--That is an amazing time for a 5k! Congrats to you.

I have given up on September. I know there are still two weeks left, but I also know I am going to stress eat my way through those two weeks. Just being real.

I am going to work very hard to get in my exercise and to eat some healthy food each day. That's the best I can do right now.

We move Friday and Saturday into an apartment and the closing on our house is the 24th. It has all been very emotional, but it's going to be ok.

We still don't have a long range plan--actually not sure what we are going to do. We leased an apartment for 6 mos. So that will give us some time to take a breath and regroup.

I ran 8 miles today, so that's good. And it wasn't too painful. I have also kept up with my mile a day for the year.

Really looking forward to W&D in November.

I plan to hit it hard in October--training and food choices.

I have done this before, and I can do it again.
Glad to hear the moving is going as smoothly as can be expected, Rose. Hang in there! Adventures are fun, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
Hi Rose! I've been wondering where you've been. Can I officially welcome you to the Sunshine State yet? Don't give up on September yet, it's only half over! I hear you about October though. I want to be down as much as possible before showtime on November 9th.

Hope everybody had a great weekend. I was actually pretty good both with food and the exercise. I hate those days though where I have no energy and don't feel like doing anything. Those usually end up being my "snack on everything in sight" days. That being said, I could have been a LOT worse, but made a conscious effort to keep things in check. Of course, throwing in a 2 hour nap in the middle of Sunday afternoon helped too! Here's to kicking the scale's butt this week for all of us.
Hear! Hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
QOTD Monday, September 16, 2013: Share your favorite motivational quote or mantra or any other words that motivate you.
My favorite motivational quotes change depending on what I am needing at that time. I am making an effort to be more present lately so this one is a good one for me right now.



For running I like this one:



Have a great day all!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #157
JennStars9
Mouseketeer
 
JennStars9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 104

I know that I don't post alot, but I'm alway following along. Congrats to all who had success last week with your weigh in. I did not have any success last week so I will keep strong and not let it get me down. My manager at work usually sends out her "Monday Mantra", and it was just what I needed. I thought I'd share it. Here it is.

A psychologist walked around a room while teaching stress management to an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they’d be asked the “half empty or half full” question. Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired: “How heavy is this glass of water?” Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz. She replied, “The absolute weight doesn’t matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it’s not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I’ll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case, the weight of the glass doesn’t change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.”
She continued, “The stresses and worries in life are like that glass of water. Think about them for a while and nothing happens. Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt. And if you think about them all day long, you will feel paralyzed – incapable of doing anything.”
It’s important to remember to let go of our stresses. As early in the evening as we can, put all our burdens down. Don’t carry them through the evening and into the night. Remember to put the glass down
__________________
Me DH DS(7) DD(4)

JennStars9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #158
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.
 
PlutoBaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 984

Talking

QOTD Monday, September 16, 2013: Share your favorite motivational quote or mantra or any other words that motivate you.

I have a number of faves depending on the day, but one that I always have on my desk wall is "You can't outrun a bad diet". The closer I get to my various race days, the more I pay attention to that!

Another one of my favorites is "Either you run the day, or the day runs you". Isn't that the truth???
__________________
www.blackdogrunsdisney.com

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #159
bryana
Mouseketeer
 
bryana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montgomery county, pa
Posts: 95

I also don't post very often but I check in to read replies a couple of times a day!

I like to browse pinterest's "health and fitness" section when I am feeling unmotivated. Between the motivational pictures and even just the images of weights/shoes/etc is usually enough to get me back on track.

I do have this hanging at my desk at work though

__________________
bryana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #160
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran
 
Flossbolna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nuremberg, Germany
Posts: 6,365

I am not at all good with quotes, so I will just enjoy what everyone else posts on today's QOTD!

I think I am more motivated by the posts I can find here and the chatter. I haven been struggling with weight for so long, but over the last few years it has been a lot of losing and regaining the same 8 pounds over and over again. And I realised today that over the course of the last 12 months I managed to keep focussed on eating healthy for a very long time. Some was with setbacks, especially December last year was really really bad. But I also realised that one year ago was the first time I became active in a Biggest Loser thread. I think I signed up before, but never participated. Then last fall I decided to come out and chat more. And then starting with the new format in January I really did chat much more than before. I am sure that this is something that kept me going, it is the reason why this year I had really bad weeks, not months at a time. My bad months have mainly been maintains and since December was so bad, I started out the new year at nearly the same weight as my September 2012 weight. So I can say that I have lost 15 pounds this year. Which I am very content with and I know I would not have been able to do this without the support of all of you!

I am starting to feel very confident that this time I will finally really make it down to my dream weight! But I do have interim goals. Fortunately the scale is moving again, I saw another low number today. Only half a pound and I will below the lowest weight I ever had since I started Weight Watchers for the first time in 2005!
__________________
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2010 TR 2010 PTR 2011 TR Dining Reviews:2009 2008 2007
From the Sea to the World - Spring 2013 Trip Report - DCL and WDW
Flossbolna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #161
Eliza32
DIS Veteran
 
Eliza32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yorkshire, England
Posts: 1,224

I'm not good with motivational quotes either, but am enjoying seeing what others post. I believe that joining in with these forums since January has really kept up my motivation, along with attending slimming class every week with a bunch of like minded people.

Being on here with you guys has given me motivation in so many different ways...looking back to January, running wasn't even on my agenda, but now, mostly due to all of your posts about it, I've not only given it a go, but have managed to knock over 4 minutes off my 5K personal best in 10 weeks!! The weather here is terrible at the moment...cold, raining and high winds, so I'm going to the gym tomorrow night to make sure I get a good workout.

I've been for weigh-in tonight...only half a pound off this week officially, but at least it was off not on! Keep up the good work everyone, and keep your eye on the end goal..it might be a long and winding path to get there, but if you focus you really can do it.

Remember.......getting to any goal can be a marathon, it doesn't have to be a sprint.
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #162
tmarshall14
Earning My Ears
 
tmarshall14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 43

Is it too late for me to join? I'm new to all this!
tmarshall14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #163
myweegirls
Caught the Disney Bug from my husband and am now hooked in my own right!
 
myweegirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 614

Hi everyone! Catching back up after quite a weekend...QOTDs first:

1) Superstitions...I was famous at my old WW meeting for wearing the *same* *darn* *dress* every single week to weigh in. I was somehow convinced that wearing anything else to weigh in would through throw the whole thing off. My little touch of OCD didn't help matters any!

2) Secrets to success - I always, always do better when I write down everything I eat. My last WW leader had a whole list of sayings - If you bite it, write it. Before you pick up a utensil, pick up a pencil. Etc, etc. Whenever I get off track, the first thing I do to put it back together is start tracking every nibble.

3) Motivational quotes - I don't so much have full quotes as I do short little mantras for while I'm running. There are two: "Suck it up, buttercup" and "Allons-y!" Anyone who loves the tenth doctor as much as I do knows that second one. It's French for "let's go!" and it's even engraved on my RoadID.

Speaking of running...oh, you guys. That race on Saturday was baaaad. I mean, I finished, and I'm so glad, but it was a poorly organized race and ended up being my worst time to date. I can blame external factors to a point, but I also learned good lessons about doing extra research and prep for races that are new.

The traffic getting to the race was terrible. I left twice the time I'd need to get to the start line an hour early, and I was still sitting in traffic when the roads were supposed to be closing. The race started 90 minutes late (!!!), so my pre-race food and water were a moot point by the time we started running.

The organizers misstated the elevation gain for the race - they said 266 feet, but it was more like 800 feet. A much, much hillier race than advertised! And they forgot to note that a lot of the race was on dirt roads...rocks, dust, not anything I'd trained for, and the uneven terrain caused a lot of runners to trip.

DH and DDs came to cheer me on - they saw me off at the start and were at the finish line when I finally staggered across. I made sure to run across the finish line to show DDs a strong mommy but I was really feeling it by then. I posted my slowest time for a half (2:33), but all in all, I'm proud of myself for not quitting when I felt like that's all I wanted to do, and I have some good experience under my belt for future races. That which does not kill us, right? The next one is less than four weeks away - my cousin is running it, too, and my mom will get to see me race for the first time! I want to stay good and strong for that one.

In other news, DD the Older turns 9 today! My sweet, beautiful girl is growing up so fast. Today is my on-campus commuting day, and I hate that I had to leave before she was up, but I'm going to call her before they leave for the bus stop. I made her mommy cake last night (what we call the homemade cake - she gets a party cake at American Girl this weekend, save me now!!), and that's coming with us out to dinner tonight. Birthday girl's choice, and we're going to our favorite local sushi restaurant! That and a light lunch mean Mommy will enjoy a nice piece of cake without going over points today.

And not to end on a down note, but I'd be remiss not to acknowledge the sadness here in DC today...a friend's husband works at the Navy Yard and was running late yesterday. He got there after they'd shut the place down, and he went back home to his wife and their two little boys. My heart is aching for those families who weren't able to have those reunions yesterday.

Lots of love to all - I'm calling this a count-my-blessings Tuesday.

XOXO
Liz
__________________
Anna, 9 ~ Tessa, 7 ~ married to DEA since 2003 ~ joined DVC in 2013!

Adventures by Disney ~ 2013 (Backstage Magic) * Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ 2010 * Animal Kingdom Villas ~ 2012, 2013, 2014 * Aulani ~ 2014 * Contemporary/Bay Lake Tower ~ 2011 * Beach Club ~ 2010 * Boardwalk Inn ~ 2010, 2012 * Boardwalk Villas ~ 2011 * Disney Cruise Line ~ 2012 (Dream/PC 3.0 & Fantasy/PC 4.0), 2013 (Dream), 2014 (Dream), 2015 (Wonder) * Disneyland Offsite ~ 2013 * Grand Californian ~ 2011, 2014 * Grand Floridian ~ 2011 * Polynesian ~ 2009, 2010 * Port Orleans French Quarter ~ 2010 * Royal Caribbean ~ 2013 (Oasis/DIS Cruise 1.0) * Wilderness Lodge ~ 2013

myweegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #164
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser
 
lisah0711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 5,299

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStars9 View Post
I know that I don't post alot, but I'm alway following along. Congrats to all who had success last week with your weigh in. I did not have any success last week so I will keep strong and not let it get me down. My manager at work usually sends out her "Monday Mantra", and it was just what I needed. I thought I'd share it. Here it is.

A psychologist walked around a room while teaching stress management to an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they’d be asked the “half empty or half full” question. Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired: “How heavy is this glass of water?” Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz. She replied, “The absolute weight doesn’t matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it’s not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I’ll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case, the weight of the glass doesn’t change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.”
She continued, “The stresses and worries in life are like that glass of water. Think about them for a while and nothing happens. Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt. And if you think about them all day long, you will feel paralyzed – incapable of doing anything.”
It’s important to remember to let go of our stresses. As early in the evening as we can, put all our burdens down. Don’t carry them through the evening and into the night. Remember to put the glass down
This is a great mantra! Thanks for coming out of lurkdom and sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
QOTD Monday, September 16, 2013: Share your favorite motivational quote or mantra or any other words that motivate you.

I have a number of faves depending on the day, but one that I always have on my desk wall is "You can't outrun a bad diet". The closer I get to my various race days, the more I pay attention to that!

Another one of my favorites is "Either you run the day, or the day runs you". Isn't that the truth???
I love the can't run a bad diet quote! So absolutely true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryana View Post
I also don't post very often but I check in to read replies a couple of times a day!

I like to browse pinterest's "health and fitness" section when I am feeling unmotivated. Between the motivational pictures and even just the images of weights/shoes/etc is usually enough to get me back on track.

I do have this hanging at my desk at work though

Great quote! Just thinking about those sharks would make me run a bit faster for sure! Thanks for coming out of lurkdom to share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
I am not at all good with quotes, so I will just enjoy what everyone else posts on today's QOTD!

I think I am more motivated by the posts I can find here and the chatter. I haven been struggling with weight for so long, but over the last few years it has been a lot of losing and regaining the same 8 pounds over and over again. And I realised today that over the course of the last 12 months I managed to keep focussed on eating healthy for a very long time. Some was with setbacks, especially December last year was really really bad. But I also realised that one year ago was the first time I became active in a Biggest Loser thread. I think I signed up before, but never participated. Then last fall I decided to come out and chat more. And then starting with the new format in January I really did chat much more than before. I am sure that this is something that kept me going, it is the reason why this year I had really bad weeks, not months at a time. My bad months have mainly been maintains and since December was so bad, I started out the new year at nearly the same weight as my September 2012 weight. So I can say that I have lost 15 pounds this year. Which I am very content with and I know I would not have been able to do this without the support of all of you!

I am starting to feel very confident that this time I will finally really make it down to my dream weight! But I do have interim goals. Fortunately the scale is moving again, I saw another low number today. Only half a pound and I will below the lowest weight I ever had since I started Weight Watchers for the first time in 2005!
15 pounds so far this year is wonderful, Magdalene! I think having a support group -- even if we are thousands of miles away -- is a big, big help on this journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza32 View Post
I'm not good with motivational quotes either, but am enjoying seeing what others post. I believe that joining in with these forums since January has really kept up my motivation, along with attending slimming class every week with a bunch of like minded people.

Being on here with you guys has given me motivation in so many different ways...looking back to January, running wasn't even on my agenda, but now, mostly due to all of your posts about it, I've not only given it a go, but have managed to knock over 4 minutes off my 5K personal best in 10 weeks!! The weather here is terrible at the moment...cold, raining and high winds, so I'm going to the gym tomorrow night to make sure I get a good workout.

I've been for weigh-in tonight...only half a pound off this week officially, but at least it was off not on! Keep up the good work everyone, and keep your eye on the end goal..it might be a long and winding path to get there, but if you focus you really can do it.

Remember.......getting to any goal can be a marathon, it doesn't have to be a sprint.
For someone who isn't good with quotes, you found a good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarshall14 View Post
Is it too late for me to join? I'm new to all this!
Nope, never, ever too late to join one of our challenges. Read the first couple of posts in the thread for how this works and PM your starting weight and goal for the rest of September to our lovely hostess, Eliza32, and start chatting away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myweegirls View Post
Hi everyone! Catching back up after quite a weekend...QOTDs first:

1) Superstitions...I was famous at my old WW meeting for wearing the *same* *darn* *dress* every single week to weigh in. I was somehow convinced that wearing anything else to weigh in would through throw the whole thing off. My little touch of OCD didn't help matters any!

2) Secrets to success - I always, always do better when I write down everything I eat. My last WW leader had a whole list of sayings - If you bite it, write it. Before you pick up a utensil, pick up a pencil. Etc, etc. Whenever I get off track, the first thing I do to put it back together is start tracking every nibble.

3) Motivational quotes - I don't so much have full quotes as I do short little mantras for while I'm running. There are two: "Suck it up, buttercup" and "Allons-y!" Anyone who loves the tenth doctor as much as I do knows that second one. It's French for "let's go!" and it's even engraved on my RoadID.

Speaking of running...oh, you guys. That race on Saturday was baaaad. I mean, I finished, and I'm so glad, but it was a poorly organized race and ended up being my worst time to date. I can blame external factors to a point, but I also learned good lessons about doing extra research and prep for races that are new.

The traffic getting to the race was terrible. I left twice the time I'd need to get to the start line an hour early, and I was still sitting in traffic when the roads were supposed to be closing. The race started 90 minutes late (!!!), so my pre-race food and water were a moot point by the time we started running.

The organizers misstated the elevation gain for the race - they said 266 feet, but it was more like 800 feet. A much, much hillier race than advertised! And they forgot to note that a lot of the race was on dirt roads...rocks, dust, not anything I'd trained for, and the uneven terrain caused a lot of runners to trip.

DH and DDs came to cheer me on - they saw me off at the start and were at the finish line when I finally staggered across. I made sure to run across the finish line to show DDs a strong mommy but I was really feeling it by then. I posted my slowest time for a half (2:33), but all in all, I'm proud of myself for not quitting when I felt like that's all I wanted to do, and I have some good experience under my belt for future races. That which does not kill us, right? The next one is less than four weeks away - my cousin is running it, too, and my mom will get to see me race for the first time! I want to stay good and strong for that one.

In other news, DD the Older turns 9 today! My sweet, beautiful girl is growing up so fast. Today is my on-campus commuting day, and I hate that I had to leave before she was up, but I'm going to call her before they leave for the bus stop. I made her mommy cake last night (what we call the homemade cake - she gets a party cake at American Girl this weekend, save me now!!), and that's coming with us out to dinner tonight. Birthday girl's choice, and we're going to our favorite local sushi restaurant! That and a light lunch mean Mommy will enjoy a nice piece of cake without going over points today.

And not to end on a down note, but I'd be remiss not to acknowledge the sadness here in DC today...a friend's husband works at the Navy Yard and was running late yesterday. He got there after they'd shut the place down, and he went back home to his wife and their two little boys. My heart is aching for those families who weren't able to have those reunions yesterday.

Lots of love to all - I'm calling this a count-my-blessings Tuesday.

XOXO
Liz
Happy birthday to your sweet DD, Liz.

Sounds like one heck of a race but you persevered and powered through! You so totally rock! And no spiders!

Disney racing definitely spoils you for other races. Hopefully those local race folks will learn as time goes on. I've had water stations close early and a 5k where the course was short. It will be fun to do a race where your Mom can see you run and, of course, you have W&D coming up soon too.

Thank goodness your friend was running late yesterday. Such a sad day.

BRB with the QOTD.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #165
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.
 
PlutoBaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 984

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza32 View Post
I've been for weigh-in tonight...only half a pound off this week officially, but at least it was off not on! Keep up the good work everyone, and keep your eye on the end goal..it might be a long and winding path to get there, but if you focus you really can do it.

Remember.......getting to any goal can be a marathon, it doesn't have to be a sprint.
Your timing for this couldn't be better! I'm only down .4 this week as well, but it's still a loss and not a gain like last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myweegirls View Post
3) "Suck it up, buttercup"

Love this one. Going to steal it!


Speaking of running...oh, you guys. That race on Saturday was baaaad. I mean, I finished, and I'm so glad, but it was a poorly organized race and ended up being my worst time to date. I can blame external factors to a point, but I also learned good lessons about doing extra research and prep for races that are new.

The traffic getting to the race was terrible. I left twice the time I'd need to get to the start line an hour early, and I was still sitting in traffic when the roads were supposed to be closing. The race started 90 minutes late (!!!), so my pre-race food and water were a moot point by the time we started running.

The organizers misstated the elevation gain for the race - they said 266 feet, but it was more like 800 feet. A much, much hillier race than advertised! And they forgot to note that a lot of the race was on dirt roads...rocks, dust, not anything I'd trained for, and the uneven terrain caused a lot of runners to trip.

DH and DDs came to cheer me on - they saw me off at the start and were at the finish line when I finally staggered across. I made sure to run across the finish line to show DDs a strong mommy but I was really feeling it by then. I posted my slowest time for a half (2:33), but all in all, I'm proud of myself for not quitting when I felt like that's all I wanted to do, and I have some good experience under my belt for future races. That which does not kill us, right? The next one is less than four weeks away - my cousin is running it, too, and my mom will get to see me race for the first time! I want to stay good and strong for that one.

I've had halves like that as well, except for maybe the 90 minute late start (I probably would have just left at that point after going up one side of someone and down the other.) The point is you got up off the couch, trained for it and finished!


In other news, DD the Older turns 9 today! My sweet, beautiful girl is growing up so fast. Today is my on-campus commuting day, and I hate that I had to leave before she was up, but I'm going to call her before they leave for the bus stop. I made her mommy cake last night (what we call the homemade cake - she gets a party cake at American Girl this weekend, save me now!!), and that's coming with us out to dinner tonight. Birthday girl's choice, and we're going to our favorite local sushi restaurant! That and a light lunch mean Mommy will enjoy a nice piece of cake without going over points today.

It's my mom's birthday today too! Happy Birthday Mom and Liz's DD!

And not to end on a down note, but I'd be remiss not to acknowledge the sadness here in DC today...a friend's husband works at the Navy Yard and was running late yesterday. He got there after they'd shut the place down, and he went back home to his wife and their two little boys. My heart is aching for those families who weren't able to have those reunions yesterday.

Lots of love to all - I'm calling this a count-my-blessings Tuesday.

XOXO
Liz
Amen to that sistah!

Kimberley
__________________
www.blackdogrunsdisney.com

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.