DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #16
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

I see your trips have been value trips like ours were before DVC--it will spoil you quickly.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
rosanab1031
Mouseketeer

I have two contracts with DVC that I purchased direct through Disney, One for 60 points at Aulani and one for 50 at VGF. This gets us a nice vacation every other year and gave me the flexibility of financing my purchases. We plan on adding in the future when we have more money and we hope to purchase AKV as my boyfriend loves it! But we will NOT be buying AKV direct. It is just WAY to much money even with the incentives. When we are ready to buy again it will be resale for AKV. Unless you plan on using RCI or traveling to DLP or any of the other parks around the world using points (like me ) Then I would go with what others are saying and purchase resale if AKV is really where you want to be.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2013, 06:15 PM   #18
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne0866 View Post
So excited we are getting ready to become a DVC member. We have done our research and are buying direct from Disney. We know our budget of what we are comfortable with. Just can't decide between 200 points at VGF or for just about the same price 200 points at AKV. We are a family of 3 so will only be staying in a studio or 1 bedroom at best.

We keep thinking that VGF would hold their value better if we ever wanted to rent the points out or sell (both of which I don't plan on doing). And of course VGF is 50 years.

We would love staying at AKV while our child is still young however, as hubby and I get holder and we get to the empty nest time in our lives VGF would be great.

I am so very excited! I actually think I may have over researched and have been over thinking this. Just have to decide between the two.
Here's the thing. Rarely does anybody go into a DVC purchase saying "I'm probably going to have to sell this in five or ten years, so let me buy the property with the best resale". But the thing is, people do end up selling after ten, five, even one year. And when they buy direct at resorts with low resale values they end up taking a bath...at a time when they can least afford it.

So if you're asking me if I would buy VGF or AKV, it's a no brainer. The resale value at VGF provides extra security, as does the higher than market point rental price. Furthermore, your VGF points will get you just about any room at most times of the year at AKV. The same cannot be said about AKV points at VGF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddyLu View Post
Also keep in mind that your DVC trips WILL change the way you visit Disney. You will want to maybe increase those trips, go childless for a long weekend...etc. I can't express this enough. This causes more plane rides, APs a TIW card, etc. So for the average family with two working adults it can become an expensive "vacation" quickly.

We purchased 210 points in 2009 direct at AKV. We love the resort and have no interest purchasing any where else. We may add on in the future.

I would buy a 100 point contract direct, At AKV...get a studio....try it for a couple of years...see how it changes your Disney trip first. Then you can save a few bucks for the other contract. I would purchase resale. Price out a couple of Disney Cruises and see how far you get with 200 points at any resort.

Because we only have 210 points and a 3-day cruise is about 130 points Each person (not sure exactly), a trip to Ireland with ABD 400 points each person and a night in the DVC outside Asheville (Biltmore) is 70 points a night. There is no way we would waste points doing that. Give me my 14-15days in a value studio anytime. Making our Direct purchase an expensive although wonderful treat for the Disney Fanatic.

Now 4 years out I wish we had purchased 300 points. We enjoy it so much it has already increased our traveling to 2 times a year taking family one trip and us alone one trip...all value studios so we can do this. Owning at a different resort would not make this way of traveling as economical. Yep, the girl who bought direct is giving "economical" advice about owning DVC.

Parks become less important and relaxing becomes more important and the wonderful Deluxe Resort helps feed this lifestyle.
One thing that I think it's important to point out is that you bought direct when AKV prices were about $100 a point. That's a completely different situation than what exists today. So when using point cost as your basis for comparison, it's important to realize that those same value rooms would cost the OP significantly more than they are costing you.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #19
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddyLu
Also keep in mind that your DVC trips WILL change the way you visit Disney. You will want to maybe increase those trips, go childless for a long weekend...etc. I can't express this enough. This causes more plane rides, APs a TIW card, etc. So for the average family with two working adults it can become an expensive "vacation" quickly.

We purchased 210 points in 2009 direct at AKV. We love the resort and have no interest purchasing any where else. We may add on in the future.

I would buy a 100 point contract direct, At AKV...get a studio....try it for a couple of years...see how it changes your Disney trip first. Then you can save a few bucks for the other contract. I would purchase resale. Price out a couple of Disney Cruises and see how far you get with 200 points at any resort.

Because we only have 210 points and a 3-day cruise is about 130 points Each person (not sure exactly), a trip to Ireland with ABD 400 points each person and a night in the DVC outside Asheville (Biltmore) is 70 points a night. There is no way we would waste points doing that. Give me my 14-15days in a value studio anytime. Making our Direct purchase an expensive although wonderful treat for the Disney Fanatic.

Now 4 years out I wish we had purchased 300 points. We enjoy it so much it has already increased our traveling to 2 times a year taking family one trip and us alone one trip...all value studios so we can do this. Owning at a different resort would not make this way of traveling as economical. Yep, the girl who bought direct is giving "economical" advice about owning DVC.

Parks become less important and relaxing becomes more important and the wonderful Deluxe Resort helps feed this lifestyle.
If the "other" options are a poor value for those direct-bought AKV contract, I'm curious what reason is behind suggesting OP buy direct for their AKV contract? If they plan to use the points at DVC resorts, why pay $150 per point when they could buy the same contract for $75 per point?
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
Mickbee
First voyage of the Magic crossing from Kingdom to Kingdom!

The decision to purchase either of the resorts is totally a personal choice and you know best what works best for your family.

My only suggest: IF you buy all 200 points at a resort, have Disney break the contract into two 100 point contracts. This would allow you the flexibility to sell some if vacation styles change or you decide there is a different resort you prefer better down the road.

Best of luck!!

Mickbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #21
ToddyLu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
If the "other" options are a poor value for those direct-bought AKV contract, I'm curious what reason is behind suggesting OP buy direct for their AKV contract? If they plan to use the points at DVC resorts, why pay $150 per point when they could buy the same contract for $75 per point?
Why do you think I was suggesting that...the OP clearly stated that was her plan in the opening post. It is up to her how she purchases her points and how she uses them. My goodness I was expressing my thoughts and experiences in hopes that the OP could see another point of view or maybe learn from the mistakes of others. Sorry, but I read emotions into your post as well...and perhaps that aren't meant that way at all.

Why in the hell would I pay $150 now for points direct...I am better educated and am hoping the OP is as well.....geez.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15
Old 08-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #22
ToddyLu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
One thing that I think it's important to point out is that you bought direct when AKV prices were about $100 a point. That's a completely different situation than what exists today. So when using point cost as your basis for comparison, it's important to realize that those same value rooms would cost the OP significantly more than they are costing you.

You have brought this up before after my posts on this board. These are my experiences. I wish I had purchased OKW points in 1991 for $50 a point. What difference is it what I paid direct...it will always be more than resale. So OP I purchased my points in 2009 for $93 a point. I don't know what
resale was then as I was not as educated about resale. Live and learn.
I have learned so much on these boards and only hope to give honest feedback when warranted. The price she pays for whatever she gets is higher....it is 2013.

I do not understand why you did not calculate everyone's purchase price....since that is important to you in relevance to the OPs question.

As a very informed poster, you and Missyrose bring a lot to the DVC discussion on this forum. You both pick on folks a bit, too.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #23
anne0866
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I see your trips have been value trips like ours were before DVC--it will spoil you quickly.
Yeah - we are definitely looking forward to the upgrade! Values were great for the 1st trip but we have outgrown them. Looking forward to being able to relax and unwind in a deluxe setting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
Here's the thing. Rarely does anybody go into a DVC purchase saying "I'm probably going to have to sell this in five or ten years, so let me buy the property with the best resale". But the thing is, people do end up selling after ten, five, even one year. And when they buy direct at resorts with low resale values they end up taking a bath...at a time when they can least afford it.

So if you're asking me if I would buy VGF or AKV, it's a no brainer. The resale value at VGF provides extra security, as does the higher than market point rental price. Furthermore, your VGF points will get you just about any room at most times of the year at AKV. The same cannot be said about AKV points at VGF.
This was our thought also. None of us know what is in store for us in the future.

I am happy to report that we are joining the elite world of DVC Ownership!!
We purchased 200 points at VGF! I am so very happy and excited. Cant wait to enjoy the many years of vacationing and creating memories. With 50 years, (I'll be long gone at 97 years old) but our son will be bringing our grandchildren/great grandchildren to WDW. It's great to make a purchase that will bring lots of happiness to our family for so many years to come!

DVC Villas at the Grand Floridian - Member Since Sept 2013

First DVC trip - AKV Kidani - Dec 15-25, 2013

DisMom(47): DisDad(42); and DisSon (12)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR]
anne0866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #24
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Yeah - we are definitely looking forward to the upgrade! Values were great for the 1st trip but we have outgrown them. Looking forward to being able to relax and unwind in a deluxe setting!

This was our thought also. None of us know what is in store for us in the future.

We purchased 200 points at VGF! I am so very happy and excited. Cant wait to enjoy the many years of vacationing and creating memories. With 50 years, (I'll be long gone at 97 years old) but our son will be bringing our grandchildren/great grandchildren to WDW. It's great to make a purchase that will bring lots of happiness to our family for so many years to come!
Congrats, enjoy your points!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Old 08-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #25
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Why do you think I was suggesting that...the OP clearly stated that was her plan in the opening post. It is up to her how she purchases her points and how she uses them. My goodness I was expressing my thoughts and experiences in hopes that the OP could see another point of view or maybe learn from the mistakes of others. Sorry, but I read emotions into your post as well...and perhaps that aren't meant that way at all.

Why in the hell would I pay $150 now for points direct...I am better educated and am hoping the OP is as well.....geez.
My apologies, I guess I mistook you telling the OP to buy 100 points at AKV direct as advice rather than just parroting back what the OP laid out originally. Man, I hadn't been on the DVC boards in a while. Maybe I'll just go back to the resorts and theme parks board, no one there has ever called me a bully. Everyone enjoy their points!

Old 09-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #26
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So excited we are getting ready to become a DVC member. We have done our research and are buying direct from Disney. We know our budget of what we are comfortable with. Just can't decide between 200 points at VGF or for just about the same price 200 points at AKV. We are a family of 3 so will only be staying in a studio or 1 bedroom at best.

We keep thinking that VGF would hold their value better if we ever wanted to rent the points out or sell (both of which I don't plan on doing). And of course VGF is 50 years.

We would love staying at AKV while our child is still young however, as hubby and I get holder and we get to the empty nest time in our lives VGF would be great.

I am so very excited! I actually think I may have over researched and have been over thinking this. Just have to decide between the two.
Personally I would buy GF retail or AKV resale given the choice between the resorts. The inherent value and options for GF will be much more going forward and the dues are likely to be less.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #27
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper8286 View Post
We looked at VGF very closely before deciding upon BLT. Here is my take on VGF....it is small and in demand. If you buy at AKV, you would have a hard time booking at VGF what you want at 7 months. Conversely, if you buy at VGF, you book at 11 months and if you decided to to AKV, it will be much easier to get a reservation you want because AKV is larger than VGF.

My guide, ever the salesman, pointed out that relative sizes of resorts made a difference and he thought VGF was going to be difficult to book without home resort priority. Is that overstated? Maybe. But we don't really know how difficult that will be until there is more feedback on reservations from members.
My discussion was between VGF and BLT. I suspect the analysis would be the same or even a little more pronounced based on the sizes of VGF, BLT and AKV.

In the end, we opted for BLT.

I think Debbie makes a good point (no pun intended) about length of stay.....
I am thinking VGF will be as difficult to book at 7 months as VGC are . If you really want to be at VGF I would buy there , cause I doubt you will get a VGF a lot at 7 months . But IMO you will probably néed more points if you buy VGF .

AKV have the best value per point in the system as far as points per room . The value rooms are a lot less points then any other resort in that size . Having 11 months there would help get those value rooms cause there are only a few of them . I general the point charts are on the low end compared to other resorts .

If it was me I'd get AKV cause to me I don't think I'd like VGF , to fancy for me . Plus I'd have an issue with the astronomical point chart at VGF .

BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #28
MarlaSingersLaundry
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Congrats!! Hope to see you there! If the ink isn't dry yet, I suggest breaking the 200 into two 100 pt contracts or four 50 pt contracts. If you ever have to sell, you can choose to sell a portion of it and potentially garner a higher resale. We split our 200 VGF into four 50 pt contracts.

Congrats again! I am sure you will love it!

1985 Off site~1986 Off site~1990 CBR~1992 DL~2001 Off site~2003 Hong Kong Disneyland~4/10 AKV~4/11 SSR and Pop~12/11 AKV~10/12 VWL~12/12 OKW~2/13 AKV~5/13 WL~10/13 England~12/13 VGF~2/9 BLT~ Coming up 5/14~ ALV~10/14 VGF
MarlaSingersLaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #29
anne0866
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlaSingersLaundry View Post
Congrats!! Hope to see you there! If the ink isn't dry yet, I suggest breaking the 200 into two 100 pt contracts or four 50 pt contracts. If you ever have to sell, you can choose to sell a portion of it and potentially garner a higher resale. We split our 200 VGF into four 50 pt contracts.

Congrats again! I am sure you will love it!
That is a great idea! I will call our guide. May break it into 150 and 50. Does breaking the contract affect your booking reservations at all. For example our trip 12/15 - 12/25 at AKL sav will use 173 pts (our guide has a hold on it while the sale is finalized). Would that change how our points are used?

DVC Villas at the Grand Floridian - Member Since Sept 2013

First DVC trip - AKV Kidani - Dec 15-25, 2013

DisMom(47): DisDad(42); and DisSon (12)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR]
anne0866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #30
MarlaSingersLaundry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
That is a great idea! I will call our guide. May break it into 150 and 50. Does breaking the contract affect your booking reservations at all. For example our trip 12/15 - 12/25 at AKL sav will use 173 pts (our guide has a hold on it while the sale is finalized). Would that change how our points are used?
Nope, it doesn't. We booked for our first stay in December a two bed room. I thinks its 340 pts or so. So we had to barrow from 2014. The four contracts didn't affect it at all. Only thing is when you are looking at your contracts on DVCmember.com, you will have multiples. it will be YOURCONTRACTNUMBER.01, YOURCONTRACTNUMBER.02, etc.

Our guide was great and agreed with us that this is a good idea.

1985 Off site~1986 Off site~1990 CBR~1992 DL~2001 Off site~2003 Hong Kong Disneyland~4/10 AKV~4/11 SSR and Pop~12/11 AKV~10/12 VWL~12/12 OKW~2/13 AKV~5/13 WL~10/13 England~12/13 VGF~2/9 BLT~ Coming up 5/14~ ALV~10/14 VGF
MarlaSingersLaundry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: