DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
anne0866
Mouseketeer

Getting ready to purchase DVC cant decide between VGF and AKV

So excited we are getting ready to become a DVC member. We have done our research and are buying direct from Disney. We know our budget of what we are comfortable with. Just can't decide between 200 points at VGF or for just about the same price 200 points at AKV. We are a family of 3 so will only be staying in a studio or 1 bedroom at best.

We keep thinking that VGF would hold their value better if we ever wanted to rent the points out or sell (both of which I don't plan on doing). And of course VGF is 50 years.

We would love staying at AKV while our child is still young however, as hubby and I get holder and we get to the empty nest time in our lives VGF would be great.

I am so very excited! I actually think I may have over researched and have been over thinking this. Just have to decide between the two.

DVC Villas at the Grand Floridian - Member Since Sept 2013

First DVC trip - AKV Kidani - Dec 15-25, 2013 / SSR April 21-28 2014

DisMom(48): DisDad(45); and DisSon (13)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR]
anne0866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
tomandrobin
DIS Veteran

We own both and think they are both great resorts.

It looks like you are deciding to buy direct from Disney, which for Grand Floridian its the only option.

I would suggest buying 100 pts direct of VGF and buying AKV resale.

Even though the buy-in costs are similar, the point usage difference is huge. Especially if you looked at the value and standard view rooms at AKV.

Where all of our dreams come true!

tomandrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne0866 View Post
So excited we are getting ready to become a DVC member. We have done our research and are buying direct from Disney. We know our budget of what we are comfortable with. Just can't decide between 200 points at VGF or for just about the same price 200 points at AKV. We are a family of 3 so will only be staying in a studio or 1 bedroom at best.

We keep thinking that VGF would hold their value better if we ever wanted to rent the points out or sell (both of which I don't plan on doing). And of course VGF is 50 years.

We would love staying at AKV while our child is still young however, as hubby and I get holder and we get to the empty nest time in our lives VGF would be great.

I am so very excited! I actually think I may have over researched and have been over thinking this. Just have to decide between the two.
The only problem is how long do you plan on staying each time, when do you plan on vacationing and what size villa will you need?

100 points at GFV will not go very far unless you bank and borrow. 200 points will get you a week in a studio any time of the year, except for Easter and Christmas. 100 points won't get you a week in a studio any time of the year. You need at least 125 for a standard view. And if you want the lake view, you'll need at least 148 (which would only be for January, Sept and early December).

200 points at GFV in a one bedroom don't even go as far as the studio. A week during the lowest point time of the year in a standard view one bedroom is 247 points.

AKV value villas are a bargain and would require owning there. You can't request a view for the value villas, but you might get a savanna view.

However, you might save money by buying AKV as resale instead of direct.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

I agree that you're looking at very different lengths of stay between the 2 resorts or different accommodation sizes. VGF may be difficult to get into at 7 months but getting the value accommodations or concierge if you are interested in that at AKV are already difficult at 7 months. For example during the middle of June the 200 points would get you into a studio at VGF but no where near a 1BR. But for the same period you can get a 1BR value at AKV with a little less than 200 points.

Unless you know for certain you always want to stay at VGF I'd recommend AKV resale. I would not buy AKV direct unless it were for a small add on to match a UY.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Trooper8286
TK8286

We looked at VGF very closely before deciding upon BLT. Here is my take on VGF....it is small and in demand. If you buy at AKV, you would have a hard time booking at VGF what you want at 7 months. Conversely, if you buy at VGF, you book at 11 months and if you decided to to AKV, it will be much easier to get a reservation you want because AKV is larger than VGF.

My guide, ever the salesman, pointed out that relative sizes of resorts made a difference and he thought VGF was going to be difficult to book without home resort priority. Is that overstated? Maybe. But we don't really know how difficult that will be until there is more feedback on reservations from members.
My discussion was between VGF and BLT. I suspect the analysis would be the same or even a little more pronounced based on the sizes of VGF, BLT and AKV.

In the end, we opted for BLT.

I think Debbie makes a good point (no pun intended) about length of stay.....

-Jay
Stormtrooper 501st Legion- Carolina Garrison
I am not too short to be a stormtrooper!
Trooper8286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
anne0866
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for your responses and info.

I think we will probably being going for the AKV. On a points basis you get more bang for the buck. We usually go in the fall or right before Xmas. Usually leave on the 24th or 25th (great airfare prices and we get out of WDW before a lot of the craziness starts). We usually take long trips 8-11 days. I was looking at the points calculator and for 189 points I can get a savannah view at AKV 12/14-12/25.

Hubby wants to buy direct, that way having the flexibility to use points on cruise etc. I understand that the points needed for a cruise are high, Also may want to add a small contract at the poly if/when that comes.

DVC Villas at the Grand Floridian - Member Since Sept 2013

First DVC trip - AKV Kidani - Dec 15-25, 2013 / SSR April 21-28 2014

DisMom(48): DisDad(45); and DisSon (13)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR]
anne0866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

AKL is at least a 40% saving buying resale. On a 200 point contract, that is over $10K. Is buying direct really worth passing up a savings of that magnitude?

I know it a personal decision for everyone but really worth researching your options via resale.
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
nalajms
DIS Veteran

We own at both, AKV resale.
If you're set on buying direct, I would either buy 200pts VGF, or 150pts VGF and 50pts AKV. Getting a studio sv is not too hard at the 7 month window. The first 2 weeks in December will be difficult, but 3rd week and right before Christmas is not nearly as bad if you book right at 7 months.

My reasoning is the VGF contract will hold more value later on if you decide to sell. If you buy both, the 50pt AKV will hold slightly better value than a larger contract (tho you could break up the 200 into smaller contracts). Buying both will give you 2 home resorts so if you really wanted AKV value/concierge you can bank and borrow for part of a week.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

We own at both and I would possibly buy some points at both resorts. I would work up how I would use them. We do split stays our plan is to start the holiday with 4 nights at VGF not to do parks but to unwind, get over the jet lag, swim, rent boats and do the nice restaurants before moving to AKV to do the parks possibly finishing at BLT todo MK.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
We own at both and I would possibly buy some points at both resorts. I would work up how I would use them. We do split stays our plan is to start the holiday with 4 nights at VGF not to do parks but to unwind, get over the jet lag, swim, rent boats and do the nice restaurants before moving to AKV to do the parks possibly finishing at BLT todo MK.
Because of the distance, I could see staying at AKV to relax and unwind. But GFV is so close to MK (the next monorail stop away) that I would hate to waste those nights and not go to the MK.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Just to reiterate what I think you probably know but.... for 200 points your talking 8-10K in savings in purchasing AKV resale which would pay for a couple of cruises on it's own. You also can always rent out your resale AKV points and pay for the cruise. And lastly - being able to use any points for cruising is not guaranteed for anyone going forward and availability can and has been limited in the past which would leave you needing to pay cash for the cruise anyway.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne0866 View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses and info.

I think we will probably being going for the AKV. On a points basis you get more bang for the buck. We usually go in the fall or right before Xmas. Usually leave on the 24th or 25th (great airfare prices and we get out of WDW before a lot of the craziness starts). We usually take long trips 8-11 days. I was looking at the points calculator and for 189 points I can get a savannah view at AKV 12/14-12/25.

Hubby wants to buy direct, that way having the flexibility to use points on cruise etc. I understand that the points needed for a cruise are high, Also may want to add a small contract at the poly if/when that comes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
Just to reiterate what I think you probably know but.... for 200 points your talking 8-10K in savings in purchasing AKV resale which would pay for a couple of cruises on it's own. You also can always rent out your resale AKV points and pay for the cruise. And lastly - being able to use any points for cruising is not guaranteed for anyone going forward and availability can and has been limited in the past which would leave you needing to pay cash for the cruise anyway.
In addition to what Kathy said, you need to realize that should you ever need to sell your direct-bought AKV contract, you'd have to sell at the current resale value. So your contract loses about half its value as soon as you sign on the dotted line with Disney.

If you want to buy direct, buy VGF. If you want AKV, look at resale and put the extra $10K in savings in a cruise fund.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
MarlaSingersLaundry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
In addition to what Kathy said, you need to realize that should you ever need to sell your direct-bought AKV contract, you'd have to sell at the current resale value. So your contract loses about half its value as soon as you sign on the dotted line with Disney.

If you want to buy direct, buy VGF. If you want AKV, look at resale and put the extra $10K in savings in a cruise fund.

Very sound advice and exactly what I am suggesting. We first purchased a 225 pt AKV resale contract in 2012 for $57 a point ($12,825). This year we purchased a 200 point VGF contract for $145 a point ($29,000). The first contract at AKL we purchased was a good deal, and not likely to be had now. However, you can still save significantly by purchasing resale. Even at $80 per point ($16,000), you are saving around $13,000. That is a lot of money, and a lot of cruises in cash. Also, if you are financing your purchase, you are paying a high interest rate on a larger purchase price.

I'd save the money and go resale with AKL. If you ever sell your contract, you won't get near your original purchase price. If you have your heart and wallet set on spending more than $30K, buy resale 200 AKL and direct VGF for around 100 points.

1985 Off site~1986 Off site~1990 CBR~1992 DL~2001 Off site~2003 Hong Kong Disneyland~4/10 AKV~4/11 SSR and Pop~12/11 AKV~10/12 VWL~12/12 OKW~2/13 AKV~5/13 WL~10/13 England~12/13 VGF~2/9 BLT~5/14 ALV~10/14 VGF
MarlaSingersLaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post

Because of the distance, I could see staying at AKV to relax and unwind. But GFV is so close to MK (the next monorail stop away) that I would hate to waste those nights and not go to the MK.
We do BLT for the MK as we have never found it to be a problem getting a lake view at 7 months. I love the GF spa, boat rentals, the view and the restaurants for suit is the perfect chill resort.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

Also keep in mind that your DVC trips WILL change the way you visit Disney. You will want to maybe increase those trips, go childless for a long weekend...etc. I can't express this enough. This causes more plane rides, APs a TIW card, etc. So for the average family with two working adults it can become an expensive "vacation" quickly.

We purchased 210 points in 2009 direct at AKV. We love the resort and have no interest purchasing any where else. We may add on in the future.

I would buy a 100 point contract direct, At AKV...get a studio....try it for a couple of years...see how it changes your Disney trip first. Then you can save a few bucks for the other contract. I would purchase resale. Price out a couple of Disney Cruises and see how far you get with 200 points at any resort.

Because we only have 210 points and a 3-day cruise is about 130 points Each person (not sure exactly), a trip to Ireland with ABD 400 points each person and a night in the DVC outside Asheville (Biltmore) is 70 points a night. There is no way we would waste points doing that. Give me my 14-15days in a value studio anytime. Making our Direct purchase an expensive although wonderful treat for the Disney Fanatic.

Now 4 years out I wish we had purchased 300 points. We enjoy it so much it has already increased our traveling to 2 times a year taking family one trip and us alone one trip...all value studios so we can do this. Owning at a different resort would not make this way of traveling as economical. Yep, the girl who bought direct is giving "economical" advice about owning DVC.

Parks become less important and relaxing becomes more important and the wonderful Deluxe Resort helps feed this lifestyle.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15, Fall 2016
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: