Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #61
sweet angel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeila View Post
We are taking a taxi to/from airport.
Not sure how quickly you could shop, but maybe it would be worth it to get the taxi to stop and wait?

Not sure how much a taxi will be to/from airport, but our car rental for 8 days was only $115 through Trifty. Well worth the money to have the freedom.
sweet angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #62
Tpeila
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet angel View Post
Not sure how quickly you could shop, but maybe it would be worth it to get the taxi to stop and wait?

Not sure how much a taxi will be to/from airport, but our car rental for 8 days was only $115 through Trifty. Well worth the money to have the freedom.
Yes the rental is only like $150 BUT the parking is $175. The taxi is $125 for round trip with a meet and greet and lei's. Our first trip to HI so I though it would be nice
Tpeila is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2014, 05:49 PM   #63
sweet angel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes the rental is only like $150 BUT the parking is $175. The taxi is $125 for round trip with a meet and greet and lei's. Our first trip to HI so I though it would be nice
Ah...sorry. I assumed you were staying on points, so parking would be free. My bad!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #64
WDW_Diane
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We are taking a taxi to/from airport.
You may want to take a taxi to Super Target as well.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #65
hjansen69
Earning My Ears

Waitlist

We have a 2 bedroom suite booked in August and are trying to book a one bedroom or studio as well. As of now, the one bedroom is only available 5 of the 8 nights. We have waitlisted the other nights. Nothing seems available in August. Does anyone know how often waitlists come through. Are there a lot of cancellations. Trying to gauge hos successful we will be as we need to book airline tickets soon. Thanks so much.
hjansen69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:38 AM   #66
markmcalear
Mouseketeer

How busy is Aulani over Xmas? I am staying Dec 21st to 28th.

Also, how busy is Wet n Wild on Xmas Eve or Boxing Day?

markmcalear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:22 AM   #67
sweet angel
DIS Veteran

Is Wet & a Wild still open? Appeared closed down when we were there in November.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #68
cielo
Earning My Ears

I checked a few threads and didn't see an answer to this question. I see that DVC members don't pay for parking. We are not members but are renting points to stay in a DVC room. Would we qualify for free parking or do you have to be an actual member to get the free parking?
cielo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #69
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know when 2015 hotel rooms will be available to book? The Aulani website only goes out to Dec 31, 2014.

Thanks.
Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern October 2014
MissDaisyofTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #70
just2ofus
Earning My Ears

Cool Best Luau?

We will be in Aulani in Sept. for a week and would like to know the best Luau to go to. I have heard Germaines is close and also good.

Also Rental car....where to get a rental car from for the best rates

Best Grocery shopping?

Thanks we will be 2 couples, no kids.
just2ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:57 PM   #71
Jasrhon
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by just2ofus View Post
We will be in Aulani in Sept. for a week and would like to know the best Luau to go to. I have heard Germaines is close and also good. Also Rental car....where to get a rental car from for the best rates Best Grocery shopping? Thanks we will be 2 couples, no kids.
We just got back from our March break trip and loved every minute.

We went to Paradise Cove since it is right next door and we could walk. We paid extra for the up front VIP seating where we got table service instead of having to go up to the buffet. It also included photos and drinks. We were also able to book it with the Aulani tour desk and bill it to our room.

As for cars, I found the best rate was with Thrifty. There was a shuttle that took us there and they were very efficient. Just make sure you pay attention to the location because for returning because it is not next to the other car rental returns.

We didn't go grocery shopping but we did have a fridge and microwave in our room. There was a costco only 5 min away and I am told there is a grocery store and a target as well.

Enjoy your trip.
Jasrhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #72
sweet angel
DIS Veteran

We also went to the Luau at Paradise Cove. We didn't choose VIP and had no issues going to the buffet ourselves. I believe it's cheaper if you book ahead of time online, rather than through Aulani. We booked through Aulani.

Our rental car was through Thrifty off-airport. No problems at all,

Target and Walmart are both within 2 exits of the resort. Walmart is obviously a bit cheaper. There is also a large organic-type market near Target.

I thought I had heard that the luau at the Polynesian Center was the best...don't quote me though.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #73
MrsPinup
3 cups. cups, cups, cups, cups, cups

I am headed to Aulani in July for 5 nights with my best friend and our two kiddos who will be 18 and 11 months at the time we go. We will be using car seats with them on the plane and traveling between airport and resort (this service for us is free, just fyi.) We also want them in carseats when traveling around the island.

PS. She doesn't want to schedule ANYTHING because she is afraid that the babies will throw off our plans and we will be disappointed. This includes Pearl Harbor.

That being said...

BF doesn't want to rent a car for more than a day due to parking fees. What would be our best bet getting groceries? Target or Costco and how should we get there?

Best way to travel to Pearl Harbor and how long is the drive?

Using the pools - Are the slides mellow enough (and are we allowed) to have our child sit on our lap while we go down?

Do standard rooms have blow dryers?

Do they grant requests for a small fridge for our room so that we can keep food cold for the kids?

Thanks!

MrsPinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #74
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

We were there in March for spring break. I don't know how people are finding these cheap car rentals. We needed a minivan because we thought we would have 6 people in the car, plus luggage, and we never found anything less than $1200 for the week. I guess it was because we needed a minivan, and it was spring break? We priced it multiple times, on multiple websites, leading up to the trip, and never caught a break.

We ended up hiring a limo for all the drives we needed. We spent less than the $1200 for pickup at the airport with transfers to Waikiki, for a full day circle tour (including an afternoon visit to the PCC, and a stop on the north shore for shrimp truck shrimp and shave ice,) transfers from Waikiki to Aulani with a stop at Costco, and the ride back to the airport from Aulani. We were in a gorgeous stretch limo for all the legs (actually in the party limo for 3 of the 4 legs), which my kids thought was one of the highlights of the trip. They had never been in a real limo before! Our wonderful driver provided the car seat for our daughter. We had water and local sodas provided every leg, and chocolate covered macadamia nuts on a couple of the legs as well.

If you are Costco members, you definitely want to stop at the Costco near Aulani on the way there. We bought way too much food, but we ate 2 meals a day in the room. We were in a 2 bedroom villa with a full kitchen, and we did make use of it. We ate all our breakfasts except our character breakfast in the room, and tried to have either lunch or dinner in the room. (We also bought all the kids' favorite foods, and they ate all their meals except the character breakfast and occasional snacks in the room.)

(me) (DH) (DS 9) (DD 3) (4 cats)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #75
WDW_Diane
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by just2ofus View Post
We will be in Aulani in Sept. for a week and would like to know the best Luau to go to. I have heard Germaines is close and also good. Also Rental car....where to get a rental car from for the best rates Best Grocery shopping? Thanks we will be 2 couples, no kids.
We got a great rate with Hawaii discount car rental, tip I had gotten from this board.
Cannot recommend the Paradise Cove luau....rated having been to Old Lahaina on Maui, Paradise Cove seemed cheesy, inauthentic, and lame. Sorry to any lovers of Paradise Cove. What it has going for it is proximity.
We loved going to Target for groceries, beer, and wine as we don't have costco in Oklahoma, so no membership.
You will have a blast! We were there last June, and I keep hoping that someone will tell me Im going again in a few weeks! Still dreaming about it often.

Tags
aulani, cast member, hawaii

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: