Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #46
amym2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy604 View Post
Hi! I'm thinking of booking a family vacation at Aulani in the spring. I'm just wondering what else is included in the price. I found a package on expedia.ca that includes flight and 5 night stay plus breakfast for 2 and the price is very reasonable. I'm just wondering though about the dining, do they have a package? Or for the buffet, do we have to pay each time?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
As far as I know, there is no dining package for Aulani. With such limited restaurants, it would get pretty old eating there all the time. We very much enjoyed the Ulu Cafe (very good for quick service, awesome pastries), the Makahiki breakfast buffet, Mama's Snack Shop (kiosk with Puka Dogs and coconut shrimp) and the shave ice place. We weren't all that impressed with 'Ama 'Ama, but it was okay. Yes, for the buffet, you would pay each time. We also ate across from Aulani at Monkeypod Kitchen and Pizza Corner and both were yummy.
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #47
sweet angel
DIS Veteran

We never made it to MonkeyPod, but Pizza Corner was good. The sandwiches and salads at the ABC Store were also good.

There's also a Mexican place, a BBQ place and a sushi place in the same area.
sweet angel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #48
missy604
Earning My Ears

thank for the info guys!
missy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #49
krisbars
Mouseketeer

So, a breakfast package is all that is offered. If you are getting a villa with a kitchen, go to Costco that is 10 minutes away (assuming a rental car is part of the deal). If you are getting a DVC room without a kitchen, there will be a microwave and fridge. We didn't have a kitchen, and we still saved so much by going to Costco. There are cupboards to put snack items. There is enough room in the fridge to put some microwaveable, frozen items. Just buying snacks will save you a lot of money. The DVC rooms have bowls, dishes, and silverware. You can score a DVC room rather than a standard room by requesting a microwave. That's what we did.
krisbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #50
buzzgirls&dad
DIS Veteran

Has anyone taken a sunset cruise? Did you like it and was it worth it? We are going to Aulani in March and I was looking at different things we might like to do as far as sightseeing goes. This kind of sounded fun any thoughts?
'12 Oct-BCV/MNSSHP--Wild Africa Jungle Trek
'13 Oct-BCV/MNSSHP-lunch with an Imagineer
'14 Mar-Aulani'14Oct-BCV/MNSSHP/F&W

"If you can dream it, you can do it." Walt Disney
buzzgirls&dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #51
SenorGreg
Earning My Ears

Yes, I just booked our party in for the New Years Eve celebration at Aulani as part of our stay. I just want to know, at $225pp, is it worth it? I was quite surprised by the cost and the website is not clear as to what that really includes. Do you or anyone else have any previous experience with New Years at Aulani?
  • Disneyland - Grand Californian - February 2011

Find me on Google+
SenorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #52
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

Been looking for an Aulani thread. We are looking at possibly booking a trip this year for our 30th anniversary and have a bunch of questions:

Any idea about the best time of year for discounts? We are thinking May but would postpone to fall if there were better discounts.

Do they offer a photopass CD? How much and are there lots of photopass photographers on site?

Would you rent a car or depend on public transit or taxi?

If anyone can point me in the direction of other Aulani threads, would appreciate it!
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #53
sweet angel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post

We rented a car for the week for a little over $100 from Thrifty. However, we stayed on points, so we didn't have to pay the daily parking fee. Oahu is a gorgeous island to explore and so many things to see.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #54
amym2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post
Been looking for an Aulani thread. We are looking at possibly booking a trip this year for our 30th anniversary and have a bunch of questions:

Any idea about the best time of year for discounts? We are thinking May but would postpone to fall if there were better discounts.

Do they offer a photopass CD? How much and are there lots of photopass photographers on site?

If anyone can point me in the direction of other Aulani threads, would appreciate it!
Since Aulani is a DVC resort, look under the "DVC Resorts" section and you'll find lots of threads.

We were there this past October and loved it! It was a great time to go in terms of crowds and weather. We used DVC points, so I can't help with discount advice.

Yes, there are Photopass photographers everywhere and you can buy a CD. I think it's $99, but I'm not sure. There was always another CM with the Photopass photographer, and they were always more than willing to take pictures with our camera, so we didn't get the CD.

If you plan to check out the island at all, definitely rent a car. Taking a taxi just from the resort to the airport is pricey, and you can usually get good deals on rental cars (prices dropped drastically 3 weeks before our trip). Since we're DVC members, we didn't have to pay for parking, but I think it's $35 per day, so you will definitely want to take that into consideration. Disney does offer excursions to Pearl Harbor and other places, so that is an option.
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #55
jhryb
DIS Veteran

I saw this thread so I thought that I would add in my brief comments. My DH and I stayed at Aulani for 3 nights in mid November following a 5 night stay at the Royal Hawaiian in Waikiki. The combined experience was fantastic but I must say that we really did prefer our 3 nights at Aulani in KoOlina. We found Waikiki to be just another big city area - and we felt like KoOlina was a place where we could relax.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #56
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Thanks for that update.
Did you rent a car, by any chance? If not, how did you get to Aulani from the airport?
Did you go on any excursions?
gretchenohar@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #57
jhryb
DIS Veteran

We did not rent a car. We pre-booked Charley's Taxi service from our Waikiki hotel to Aulani. On our trip from Aulani to the Airport the Taxi cabs are always there (they use Charleys's). It is a flat rate and I thought it was reasonable.
We did a ton of excursions when we were in Waikiki because I believe that it is a lot more convenient to do them from Waikiki.
When we were at Aulani we just relaxed and enjoyed the facilities at the resort (since we were only there for 3 nights). We did go to a Luau when were were at Aulani. The Luau at Paradise cove is within walking distance and my husband and I really enjoyed it.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #58
Tpeila
Earning My Ears

Two questions

#1, how close is Target? We are not planning on renting a car. OR how affordable is the grocery store across the street.

#2, Does Aulani use the Photo Passes?
Tpeila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #59
sweet angel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeila View Post
#1, how close is Target? We are not planning on renting a car. OR how affordable is the grocery store across the street.
Target is the exit before Aulani on the highway. Walmart is two exits before Aulani. How are you getting from airport to resort?

The store across the street is priced higher than Target or Walmart, but still cheaper than Aulani. I wouldn't recommend trying to shop for a week there though...
Old 01-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #60
Tpeila
Earning My Ears

We are taking a taxi to/from airport.
Tpeila is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aulani, cast member, hawaii

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: