Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 02:35 AM   #1
Hitsubasa
Earning My Ears
 
Hitsubasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 42

Any questions about Aulani? :)

If anyone has any questions about Aulani (the Disney resort in Hawaii), feel free to post them here and I'll try to answer them I've been a cast member there for a little over a year and my boyfriend has been there since the resort opened so hopefully I'll be able to answer any inquiries
Hitsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
NC State Tigger
'cause we all love State and I luv Tigger
 
NC State Tigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Rocky Mount, NC
Posts: 652

When will construction be complete on the new pool and dining location?

Had been told completion would be the end of Sept, but now see info that says not till Oct 19. We arrive Oct 2 and leave Oct 11. Any chance it will be done by then? I'll be so bummed to miss the new areas by just a few days.
__________________
NC State Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Hitsubasa
Earning My Ears
 
Hitsubasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 42

Yeah I'm so sorry we were supposed to have finished it in September but it doesn't look like its going to end that way at all. If you want, I can update you. I looked recently and it doesn't look even close to completion.
Hitsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
Nickyz79
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 15

This is my first post. I am so excited about my first overseas holiday in ten years and my kids first ever. We were also told Sep 30 so we booked for first week october. I am very upset about the announcment. Is there any way the Ka Maka Grotto pool will be finished earlier?How big will the pool be? Will we be missing out on something amazing and different if its not finished? What are its features?
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Nickyz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
NC State Tigger
'cause we all love State and I luv Tigger
 
NC State Tigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Rocky Mount, NC
Posts: 652

I just called to see if I could book a pool cabana during our stay in Oct and the CM that answered the phone said no reservations yet, but the new areas were still scheduled to open the end of Sept. When I told him that I had heard that it might be mid-Oct, he said "no, still scheduled for the end of Sept". Boy, do I hope he knows what he is talking about!!!
__________________
NC State Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
nkereina
Wendy Darling
 
nkereina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 7,142

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon in Hawaii... we plan to arrive on a Wednesday, spend three nights on Oahu, and then Saturday jump on the NCL cruise around the islands until the following Saturday, and then spend one more night in Oahu and leave Sunday. For our first three nights in Oahu, we thought we'd stay at Aulani being Disney fanatics but I have read it's pretty remote and out of the way. As first timers being in Hawaii (and probably our last!), would you recommend Aulani considering the location? I know you are bias since you work there, and I am bias being a Disney fan, but we thought maybe the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki may be more central with more sightseeing options for us, without having to go too far out of the way. We will have a car the whole time though. Appreciate your opinion!
nkereina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
NC State Tigger
'cause we all love State and I luv Tigger
 
NC State Tigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Rocky Mount, NC
Posts: 652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitsubasa View Post
Yeah I'm so sorry we were supposed to have finished it in September but it doesn't look like its going to end that way at all. If you want, I can update you. I looked recently and it doesn't look even close to completion.
Please keep us updated. You may want to post updates on the DVC resorts, also. There are many threads there dealing with Aulani.

Thanks

Still have my fingers crossed for the end of September and hoping for lots of pixie dust.
__________________
NC State Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:01 AM   #8
Hitsubasa
Earning My Ears
 
Hitsubasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickyz79 View Post
This is my first post. I am so excited about my first overseas holiday in ten years and my kids first ever. We were also told Sep 30 so we booked for first week october. I am very upset about the announcment. Is there any way the Ka Maka Grotto pool will be finished earlier?How big will the pool be? Will we be missing out on something amazing and different if its not finished? What are its features?
Thanks in advance for your reply.
It's possible that it will be finished but I think unlikely. I could be totally wrong though. Don't quote me on that. I rarely venture out to that side of the resort because of my job haha. As far as I can remember, the grotto is more for the kids. I think its going to be kind of like the Menehune bridge in that there are things that shoot water and stuff. Honestly, I don't think it's THAT big of a deal. The water slides are still up and that's the most fun thing to do "water wise." Also, the infinity jacuzzi is BEAUTIFUL It overlooks the beach so it's great to watch the sunset
Hitsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:23 AM   #9
Nickyz79
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 15

Thanks for the reply. Isnt the water spraying thing for kids seperate to the new pool. I was thinking more about the new pool thats being built is it a big one, or will it be anything special?
Nickyz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:24 AM   #10
Hitsubasa
Earning My Ears
 
Hitsubasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon in Hawaii... we plan to arrive on a Wednesday, spend three nights on Oahu, and then Saturday jump on the NCL cruise around the islands until the following Saturday, and then spend one more night in Oahu and leave Sunday. For our first three nights in Oahu, we thought we'd stay at Aulani being Disney fanatics but I have read it's pretty remote and out of the way. As first timers being in Hawaii (and probably our last!), would you recommend Aulani considering the location? I know you are bias since you work there, and I am bias being a Disney fan, but we thought maybe the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki may be more central with more sightseeing options for us, without having to go too far out of the way. We will have a car the whole time though. Appreciate your opinion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon in Hawaii... we plan to arrive on a Wednesday, spend three nights on Oahu, and then Saturday jump on the NCL cruise around the islands until the following Saturday, and then spend one more night in Oahu and leave Sunday. For our first three nights in Oahu, we thought we'd stay at Aulani being Disney fanatics but I have read it's pretty remote and out of the way. As first timers being in Hawaii (and probably our last!), would you recommend Aulani considering the location? I know you are bias since you work there, and I am bias being a Disney fan, but we thought maybe the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki may be more central with more sightseeing options for us, without having to go too far out of the way. We will have a car the whole time though. Appreciate your opinion!

To be honest, it depends what you want to do. If you are huge Disney fanatics, Aulani is great. I've had staycations there where you really don't need to leave the resort. There's stuff to keep you constantly busy. If you want to see the rest of the island, however, most people veer towards Waikiki because it's near town. Waikiki is the more "touristy" area so it tends to be very crowded and flooded with "touristy" trinkets which is both good and bad. Waikiki has a bunch of really good restaurants and the beach is right there.

Aulani is WAAAAAAY on the other side of the island near Kapolei. Kapolei is expanding too though so there are a lot of stores and things on that side that weren't there before. Our only water park is in the area as well. The good thing about Aulani is that they tried to keep the resort very true to the culture and not "touristy." We even have cultural advisers to help keep it in check.

The North Shore is also a cool place to explore but it's not close to Waikiki OR Aulani... :P Honestly though, compared to the mainland (is that a Hawaii term? lol) any drive is relatively short :P You can drive around the island in about 2 hours :P

How long are you planning on staying on the island and are you planning on island hopping or just staying on Oahu?
Hitsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
nkereina
Wendy Darling
 
nkereina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 7,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitsubasa View Post
To be honest, it depends what you want to do. If you are huge Disney fanatics, Aulani is great. I've had staycations there where you really don't need to leave the resort. There's stuff to keep you constantly busy. If you want to see the rest of the island, however, most people veer towards Waikiki because it's near town. Waikiki is the more "touristy" area so it tends to be very crowded and flooded with "touristy" trinkets which is both good and bad. Waikiki has a bunch of really good restaurants and the beach is right there.

Aulani is WAAAAAAY on the other side of the island near Kapolei. Kapolei is expanding too though so there are a lot of stores and things on that side that weren't there before. Our only water park is in the area as well. The good thing about Aulani is that they tried to keep the resort very true to the culture and not "touristy." We even have cultural advisers to help keep it in check.

The North Shore is also a cool place to explore but it's not close to Waikiki OR Aulani... :P Honestly though, compared to the mainland (is that a Hawaii term? lol) any drive is relatively short :P You can drive around the island in about 2 hours :P

How long are you planning on staying on the island and are you planning on island hopping or just staying on Oahu?
Thanks so much for the response! Very helpful! We will be arriving late on a Wednesday after a very long travel day from NY. We will stay somewhere in Oahu for three nights, and then on Saturday will get on an NCL cruise which hits most of the islands - ports include Maui, Kauai, Kona and Hilo. Then after the cruise, we will spend one more night in Oahu before leaving the next afternoon. Due to the cost and location of Aulani, I wonder if it would be better to spend our one night after the cruise there instead. We will be off the cruise by 9am and will be taking the red eye out the following night.

How long of a drive is Aulani from the cruise port and the airport? Is it easy enough to drive into the tourist areas and Pearl Harbor if we stay there? I've read traffic is a concern as well, and we will be arriving around 4pm on a Wednesday so will rush hour play a factor?

Thanks again
nkereina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
djpooh74
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 12

Hi,
We just came back from Aulani. Had a blast. This past Thursday we watched the 2nd annual ducky derby. There were GoPro cameras swimming with the ducks. Where can we watch the video?

Thanks
djpooh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
Hitsubasa
Earning My Ears
 
Hitsubasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post

Thanks so much for the response! Very helpful! We will be arriving late on a Wednesday after a very long travel day from NY. We will stay somewhere in Oahu for three nights, and then on Saturday will get on an NCL cruise which hits most of the islands - ports include Maui, Kauai, Kona and Hilo. Then after the cruise, we will spend one more night in Oahu before leaving the next afternoon. Due to the cost and location of Aulani, I wonder if it would be better to spend our one night after the cruise there instead. We will be off the cruise by 9am and will be taking the red eye out the following night.

How long of a drive is Aulani from the cruise port and the airport? Is it easy enough to drive into the tourist areas and Pearl Harbor if we stay there? I've read traffic is a concern as well, and we will be arriving around 4pm on a Wednesday so will rush hour play a factor?

Thanks again
That sounds like a good idea however I guarantee you that you won't be able to fully experience Aulani in a day. But! If sightseeing is more the route you want to go then it wouldn't really matter Just to let you know, the Starlit Hui is on Monday and Thursday nights so you maaaay miss it depending on what day you're staying

Airport I would say is about a half hour and cruise port maybe around 45 min. If there's rush hour traffic it could take as long as an hour and a half. UH just got back in session and traffic around 4 on weekdays is horrendous
Hitsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
Hitsubasa
Earning My Ears
 
Hitsubasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpooh74 View Post
Hi,
We just came back from Aulani. Had a blast. This past Thursday we watched the 2nd annual ducky derby. There were GoPro cameras swimming with the ducks. Where can we watch the video?

Thanks
Glad you had fun! I was working during the ducky derby it was sooo cute! :D not sure where you can watch the video.. I was looking for pictures yesterday too but couldn't find any
Hitsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
disneyred
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CANADA
Posts: 1,491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitsubasa View Post
If anyone has any questions about Aulani (the Disney resort in Hawaii), feel free to post them here and I'll try to answer them I've been a cast member there for a little over a year and my boyfriend has been there since the resort opened so hopefully I'll be able to answer any inquiries
How deep is the deepest section of the pool, kids always want to know..
disneyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aulani, cast member, hawaii



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.