Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawjiejul View Post
Weare also going on our first Disney cruise March 2014 and I am still in the planning, as to where to stay night before, transportation etc thanks for the posts and inputs
HI Glad I can help with some tips. It's always great to be able to get ideas from those who have done this before.
What ship are you sailing on? We/I are very excited to be going on Magic, especially since it will be updated. I chose it also because it is smaller and my DH does not like crowds so I hope this will be a little quieter for him. Of course, this is also why I chose a verandah room so that he can have his alone time if he needs.

There are a lot of hotels that have shuttles from the Orlando airport, make sure you look online or call them (not all list it on their sites) our shuttle is costing us very little ($70 for all 4 of us) which is a much better price than DME.
I just have to figure out how to get back to the airport after the cruise. Not sure if we will book through Disney yet or if we will rent something else. I will probably need to talk to an agent and figure out if we will get back to the airport in time.

Mom: Laura Dad: John DD: Bethany, 16 DS: John I, 14
PTR 70th Birthday Celebration
Do you know where the kids are? TR of our first Magic cruise

Trips: DL 1985 / WDW 2008: Stayed off site / WDW 2011: AKL and POFQ / DCL 2014: Magic,4 day
veggiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #17
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

I can so tell that the teaching year has begun! It has been completely crazy for the past couple weeks with new students, new classes, and trying to figure out everyone's schedule! There has been no time for Disney, which is just sad!

On a fun side - I finally bought some picture frames and put up a few pictures from almost 15 years ago! During that time the Disney store, which was still in my city at that time (it's closed now - boo!) was giving away lilthographs to movies that were pre ordered. Of course, I had to pre order movies just for that alone but they sat in our closets for years because I couldn't figure out where to put them. Well, now with my hubby on board with a 'disney' themed room - well house really! I found some frames and put up some pictures and I have to say, they look great! I have one picture from Beauty and the Beast, one from Aladdin, one from Lady and the Tramp and one from Lion King. I also have a really cool Cinderella one that does that 'change' thing as you walk by it It shows Cinderella going from rags to ball gown - very cool and it will get a place of honour once I find the right frame for it! LOL

As for cruising stuff - I have been doing research but not really about this cruise! I keep looking at the cruises to Alaska and keep thinking maybe DH and I need to take a summer cruise next summer! LOL The kids are both going to be gone for at least the month of July and probably most of August as well so we certainly would have time. And I keep thinking about the booking when on the cruise discount, so who knows maybe another one will be in the works right away too!

Oh, and I decided - mom and I are going to WDW next year! We are going to go to celebrate her 70th birthday so of course I'm going to need to plan and figure out some surprises for her. It will be a quick trip over our Canadian Thanksgiving holiday in October (her birthday is in October as well but not on the actual weekend we are going)

So I'm busy with research, which is almost as much fun as actually going Can't do a whole lot yet our February Cruise since it is not paid in full yet. Bethany did tell me that she wants to go parasailing so once we see the cost of that we will see if we can add that into the day for her.

Next weekend is Bethany's 16th birthday! Can't believe she is 16!! Unfortunately we will be travelling all day on her birthday I feel bad for her though we will have a fun weekend - we are heading to Minneapolis for my sister-in-laws wedding. I still need to think of some fun things to do and surprise her with on the Friday. I know I can't do much but I would like to do something to still make the day special for her.

Trips: DL 1985 / WDW 2008: Stayed off site / WDW 2011: AKL and POFQ / DCL 2014: Magic,4 day
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #18
momabaarjo
In Pursuit of Cupcakes, Booze, & PHM

I love the decorating!
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #19
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momabaarjo View Post
I love the decorating!
Thanks Tammie! I now have added pictures on the walls of Disney movie lithographs. It turned out pretty good. And I found a great Iron Man figurine for my hubby for Christmas (Iron man being his favourite Marvel character)

Old 10-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

It's been awhile since I have been able to get on the computer to do anything more than work but I have a few minutes and I had to share some exciting news!

I had a great surprise in my email this morning - you know the one - the one of "Special Deal" type emails! Got on the phone right away and managed to get 20% off our entire cruise!!!!Total crazy happy dance! LOL Of course this happened this morning so I couldn't share the news with my DH right away so I called my just as obsessed Disney fanatic - my mom, and got all the excited jumping, shouting and fun that I needed to share.

I can't book anything for a few weeks yet but I have been checking out excursions and trying to figure out what we want to do and what is feasible to do.
Both kids really want to go parasailing but I'm not sure it's worth it? Any body do this at Castaway Cay?
I would like to get snorkelling and would love to do some kayaking.

So opinions please - Is there enough time to rent equipment and still feel like you have time just to lay on the beach and soak up the sun?

Old 10-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #21
momabaarjo

YAY YAY YAY on the savings...that frees up money for some fun!
Old 11-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #22
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Oh my goodness, I can't believe it has been a month since I have been on here and updated my PTR!

So where was I?....

Right - we have all the first stuff booked - hotels, flights and cruise and all is now paid in full!
Now is the time I figure to start my day to day plans, so here we go.

I am 10 days away from being able to book dining, excursions so I need to figure out what we are all doing!

Day 1 - Travel Day

After some debate we decided to fly in not one but 2 days early :good vibes My DS and I do not always fly well and we were not able to get a direct flight AND on top of that the flights times were crappy so it either meant leaving at 5:30 am - which means up at 1:00am to get to the airport on time since it is an hour drive for us, or we arrive at 11:30pm. And we figured arriving at 11:30 pm on Sunday with the cruise leaving Monday would mean basically no sleep for us and we didn't want to start our cruise out that way.

SO - The Plan -
We will leave at 4pm on Saturday Feb 1, fly to Toronto and have about 1 ½ layover. Not long but hopefully long enough to have a bite to eat and taking more anti nauseous meds for my ds. (last time we flew he was vomiting and miserable by the time we landed and that was a direct flight!)
Then we will fly from Toronto to Orlando. :good vibes
We will land at 11:30pm, gather our bags and shuttle to our hotel. We also decided that instead of making our way down to Cocoa Beach and drive in the dark late at night we would stay at a hotel at the airport. So glad we are going to do this! I have a feeling it will be quite late by the time we get to our hotel - I'm hoping not too long after midnight but that might be wishful thinking.
We also booked a larger room than we normally do so it has 2 beds and a pull out couch, this way there will be no odd bed sharing arrangements. Again, another one of those 'never again' things from our last trip where we shared beds with the kids and ended up having none of sleep well!

So once we are settled at the hotel it will be time to crash! :asst:

No alarm set for the morning - WE are on Holidays!

Old 11-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #23
Gummer2001
Earning My Ears

Smile Do you use Facebook?

Hi there!
I saw that you and your family will be on the same cruise as us. We're first time cruisers too and I joined a Facebook book group specifically for our group. The people on there are super amazing!!! There are only about 23 of us on there. There might be about half a dozen newbies and then there are others that have been on more than a dozen Disney cruises. They answer any and all the questions we have.

Also if you know what an FE (Fish Extender) group is they have one already organized. If you don't know what a Fish Extender is just type it in Google images. It's a gift exchange between a small group of people on your cruise. Also try searching FE gift ideas for things people put in these fish extenders. It's all new to me! I was like...what is a fish extender??? Anyway it looks like fun.

I only set up a username this DIS board to tell you about the FB group and I have no idea how this board works. If you reply to my message does it e-mail me or something? Anyway come join us, they're a great group.

The name of our group is "February 3rd 2014 Disney Magic Bahamian Cruise"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/161513267356138/
Gummer2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #24
06loriann63
Earning My Ears

We are going on our first cruise in January on the Magic. My husband and I and our 2 daughters are so excited and are looking forward to the cruise.
06loriann63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #25
kdlahue
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06loriann63 View Post
We are going on our first cruise in January on the Magic. My husband and I and our 2 daughters are so excited and are looking forward to the cruise.
Are you going to Castaway Cay out of Orlando?
kdlahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #26
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

So once again, life is crazy and I have not been on here at all!!! Sorry everyone.
Unfortunately we have been dealing with major illness in our house. I got sick in the middle of November. Fevers for days, which turned into sinus infection, bronchitis and a double ear infections which led to cysts in both ears and a broken ear drum in my right ear when it finally broke. I have been miserable for the past 5 weeks! Thankfully I started to feel better a week ago, just in time for Christmas. BUT 2 weeks after I go sick my hubby got ill as well. He is not better yet - he's on week 5 now. Though fevers and head cold are gone, his ears are still plugged so he can't hear a thing and it is really getting to him. All I can say about the past 6 weeks is that I am glad they happened now and not just before we left on our holiday. I have informed the kids that they are not allowed to get sick next month!

So back to our cruise:
We are almost under a month till we go! I can hardly believe it!I left off with day 1 plans so here is day 2....

DAY 2 - Cocoa beach
Aaaaahhhh day 2 - we will start off our day by checking out of the airport hotel and getting ourselves to the hotel in Cocoa Beach (this by the way is up for discussion yet - the "how are we getting around???" ) Once we are checked in the plan is to do nothing! We have nothing booked and no plans to book anything, just want to relax on the beach, maybe wander some stores, pretty much do whatever we feel like that day. We will need to find somewhere to eat dinner, not sure if it will be the hotel or a restaurant somewhere else. Really depends on what happens with the transportation thing.
So that's day 2 - easy and relaxing day and me trying to contain my excitement about embarkation day the next day!

In the next week I need to figure out our transportation. When we fly in we should be able to get a shuttle to our hotel, but I"m not positive so I need to call the hotel and talk with them, and also tell them that we will be a late arrival. Then I need to figure out how to get to cocoa beach the next day and to the ship the day after AND then need to figure out from ship to airport on our last day. Yikes! Good thing I have another week off before starting work again.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #27
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummer2001 View Post
Hi there!
I saw that you and your family will be on the same cruise as us. We're first time cruisers too and I joined a Facebook book group specifically for our group. The people on there are super amazing!!! There are only about 23 of us on there. There might be about half a dozen newbies and then there are others that have been on more than a dozen Disney cruises. They answer any and all the questions we have.

Also if you know what an FE (Fish Extender) group is they have one already organized. If you don't know what a Fish Extender is just type it in Google images. It's a gift exchange between a small group of people on your cruise. Also try searching FE gift ideas for things people put in these fish extenders. It's all new to me! I was like...what is a fish extender??? Anyway it looks like fun.

I only set up a username this DIS board to tell you about the FB group and I have no idea how this board works. If you reply to my message does it e-mail me or something? Anyway come join us, they're a great group.

The name of our group is "February 3rd 2014 Disney Magic Bahamian Cruise"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/161513267356138/
Hi Gummer - thanks for the invite. I'm not on Facebook very much since I use it only for work purposes. Thank for the invite though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06loriann63 View Post
Hi! So exited for you! You'll have to let me know any extra tips since I will be going on our cruise after you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlahue View Post
Are you going to Castaway Cay out of Orlando?
Hi! Yes we are going to Castaway Cay as well as Nassau. We will leave from Port Canaveral. We are doing a 4 day cruise so we will have one day at sea as well. We are looking forward to Castaway Cay - sure hope it's as fabulous as everyone says!

Old 12-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #28
momabaarjo

I so like the idea of relaxing...sounds like a great way to spend the day!
Old 12-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #29
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momabaarjo View Post
I so like the idea of relaxing...sounds like a great way to spend the day!
Me too! I think that is the thing about this trip that is so different than a WDW trip. There is a lot more downtime - or at least there should be the way we are planning. I really wanted to give us a more relaxed feel for a holiday. Kind of a foreign concept so far in our holiday's But I think it is important to try a 'relax' type trip instead of the go-go-go type!

Old 12-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #30
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Transportation

Ok, here we go. Time to figure out the transportation side of our holiday. Hubby and I have been discussing and debating all morning and I am about to make some phone calls. Here's where we are at and the questions we need answered:
1 - Is there shuttle service to our hotel from the airport on our first night
2 - how do we get to our hotel in Cocoa beach for night 2
3 - how do we get to port on Monday morning
4 - how do we get back to the airport on Friday

So our debate:
rent a car and pay for parking at the port or maybe the hotel in cocoa beach - which would leave us trying to find transportation to and from the hotel to port
or hire a shuttle/taxi and if so what company to work with???

off to see if I can get some answers to all these questions that will not leave us gasping at the costs!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: