Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #31
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran
 
luv2sleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,770

I don't understand the draw to Kidani personally it's huge, the hallways are long (yes, I've walked them), the pool location is inconvenient, and there's no quick service (I don't cook on vacation). I think you are right to choose Jambo house next time. Sorry you had such disappointment in your accommodation situation.
__________________
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:18 AM   #32
nighttowll
DIS Veteran
 
nighttowll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 643

I'm really sorry things didn't work out for you. I think you have every right to be a little disappointed. You have to be so careful about room views. At lots of hotels if you can even catch a glimpse of something they will categorize it as the next category up. Its one of the reasons I never pay for a "good view". You never know what you'll get.

As far as the requests go, I would have viewed "no problem" as we can do that as well. Arriving at 10, it seems hard to believe that they weren't going to have two rooms available together at some point when check in isn't until 4, but maybe there were just a shortage of guests checking out on that day close together. I can understand only being able to meet one of your requests, close or together, but to not meet either just seems like an oversight. It honestly sounds like they didn't take note of the requests at all, until you went back and reminded them. I wonder if they might have lost your initial requests. I've had that happen to me before. Even when I called two weeks before and confirmed they had them. Otherwise, you would think they would at least ask which request was the most important to honor if there was an issue with fulfilling both. I also think I read somewhere that the different types of rooms are on different floors, so if you were in say a villa and the other party was in a standard room, I could see where you would end up on different floors. But if that was the case, then they should have told you when you initially asked about it. I'd definitely just book one large villa next time over two rooms just to be sure.
nighttowll is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #33
disneyfool_1202
The countdown has begun!!
 
disneyfool_1202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dracut MA
Posts: 959

OK - let me make this as clear as I can for those of you who continue to think that I have drank Disney Cool aid and seem to have thought my "demands" and "high expectations" were unwarranted............

I booked my reservations with FAMILY booking theirs MONTHS before I had knee surgery. Kidani may not have been the best choice. Yes I rented an ECV, but didn't expect to use it around the hotel as I'm doing VERY well walking around and have been since my surgery. However, Disney is not the vacation to push the limit. I also have a special needs child that can get overwhelmed (and so can I as his parent) so I called MS back when we booked and specifically asked "IS THERE ANY WAY we can REQUEST that the rooms can be linked together so they can be CLOSE TOGETHER in the hotel. The response "ABSOLUTELY - we can put a Travel With on both reservations and then the person assigning rooms will assign them in the same area as close as possible." That is USUALLY how I phrase things, because I don't know how some of you were brought up, but I was brought up to be POLITE, UNJUDGEMENTAL, and to ASK IF THINGS ARE POSSIBLE, and not be am obnoxious demanding rude individual, even when I am paying for things. So no, I did not walk around check in demanding things.
To me, "as close together as possible" does not mean the other side of the flipping hotel. But not only did I speak to Member Services at DVC to put the Travel With on the reservation, but it was noted on the on line check in spot, AND I called the hotel number DIRECTLY, and they noted it in what ever system they use on BOTH reservations (Yes I used both reservation numbers and spent 20 minutes on the phone with a lovely woman who's name I have written down in my type A notepad). And yes, that person ALSO said "this should NOT be a problem".
When we checked in they said that they had no idea what I was talking about, so moved the other party, 3 floors beneath us.

As for our non-savannah "savannah" view room. It was no where near a pool (FAR past it) and it was actually PAST the actual "savannah" that was after the pool. It was overlooking the FENCE on the end of the savannah. So no, while the room itself was in the "block" of rooms that was considered Savannah View rooms, this room did not overlook a savannah, and I did not want my special needs son trying to hang OVER a balcony on the 5th floor trying to look around a corner to see animals that were on this savannah. Were there animal there?? Yes- we could see them if we walked down the hall and looked out the windows between the buildings.

As for my having high expectations- my expectations are fine and I'm comfortable with them. If you feel I need to lower them, oh well. I feel bad for people who go through life with low expectations. I've lived through a lot and have decided that I will not settle because life it too short. You never know when something will turn and it is ripped away so when you want something and PAY FOR IT, then yes, you should expect it. Do I walk around life demanding the best of everything - absolutely not. If I did, I would trade in my special needs son for a "perfect child" and my part time job so I can take care of him for the high paying one I gave up when he was born. Don't judge my reasoning for expecting MY Disney vacations to be magical. Some people NEED that magic in their life once in a while, and when they start out expecting it and it's nothing but frustration, then that sucks a little bit out of it right from the get go. So yes, I have a right to be a little disappointed. I stated right from the beginning that the hotel staff was wonderful, the food, hotel, etc... amazing. Just the whole check in process and reservation process disappointed me. So I most likely will NOT stay there again, and would most likely stay at Jambo house. So shoot me.
__________________


DisneyFool
Denise
disneyfool_1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #34
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,685

I've never understood people that post something, and then get mad when everyone doesn't agree with them.

You were one of hundreds of guests with requests, and they did the best they could. From the perspective of a room assigner, your requests are no more important than another guest's requests. Sorry you weren't happy with the results, but in a system where the goal is to meet the requests of as many people as possible, someone is going to be unhappy. I'm sorry that this time it was you.
OurBigTrip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #35
ScarletFire
DIS Veteran
 
ScarletFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfool_1202 View Post
OK - let me make this as clear as I can for those of you who continue to think that I have drank ... stay at Jambo house. So shoot me.
I'd be upset too! When children/families are involved, WDW should accommodate proximity requests. I don't understand the "request" mentality. Room assignments should not be random, sounds like they were in your case. I've traveled with family or friends on three different occasions (BWV and SSR); rooms always adjacent or across the hall. I'd like to hear a CM's take on room assignments. Is it computer generated, first come first serve or what?

The corner Savannah View should be be reclassified as a "got lucky" Standard View. That view is a Savannah Tease. I've never complained at Disney but I'd insist on being moved too; glad they listened.

Don't let the Disboard posters upset you! You don't know these people!! This message board is for entertainment purposes; laugh about it. Really!
ScarletFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #36
dissupermom
Mouseketeer
 
dissupermom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 168

I don't understand the "entitlement" that some people feel that have when they spent "thousands" of dollars on a WDW vacation. you spent thousands and so did I. you work hard and so did I. you have family and so do I. you have limitations, so do I.
if you wanted an ocean room and paid extra for an ocean room, but you requested to be close to your companions who didn't want an ocean room, how do you suppose this is handled? you paid more for your room because you wanted special, but your travel mates didn't spent as much but you wanted to be close to them. so does disney upgrade them for free, or downgrade you?
as others have said, a request is only a request. I would complain if the shower didn't work, the sink was clogged or the overall room was not adequate. to complain because you didn't like that you weren't close to people who didn't pay for the same type of room you paid for is a bit over the top.
sorry
dissupermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #37
ScarletFire
DIS Veteran
 
ScarletFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissupermom View Post
I don't understand the "entitlement" that some people feel that have when they spent "thousands" of dollars on a WDW vacation. you spent thousands and so did I. you work hard and so did I. you have family and so do I. you have limitations, so do I.
if you wanted an ocean room and paid extra for an ocean room, but you requested to be close to your companions who didn't want an ocean room, how do you suppose this is handled? you paid more for your room because you wanted special, but your travel mates didn't spent as much but you wanted to be close to them. so does disney upgrade them for free, or downgrade you?
as others have said, a request is only a request. I would complain if the shower didn't work, the sink was clogged or the overall room was not adequate. to complain because you didn't like that you weren't close to people who didn't pay for the same type of room you paid for is a bit over the top.
sorry
Bad example. We stayed with friends at VBR. Friends payed for ocean view and we did not; placed across the hall from one another.

"Entitlement" is inaccurate. The OP did not say she was entitled by contract with Disney to get her requests fulfilled. She was upset. Disney said "absolutely" and it didn't happen. Disney should have said "no guarantee." I wonder if the OP used online check-in; I recall you may list requests.
ScarletFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #38
disneyfool_1202
The countdown has begun!!
 
disneyfool_1202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dracut MA
Posts: 959

I did use online check-in and that was the "Third" place the request was noted. As for "how can two categories be accommodated? I asked specifically.
Our co-travelers had standard view requested- we had savanna view. We were told they would "most likely be" parking lot view across the hall from us and we'd be savannah view across the hall from them. Trust me- I asked many questions as I have never stayed here before. If they kept my friend's ORIGINAL room request and moved us to a room across the hall rather than upgrade them, then our requests would have been met. It just didn't make any sense to me.

I'm not mad that everyone doesn't agree with me, I just don't like assumptions being made based on a post. While I understand it's difficult to glean an entire situation from reading someone's post, it is just that- a post. I felt posting MY disappointment was a.) warranted as it is a community to express both positive and negative experiences to benefit others and I was originally asking if anyone had a similar situation that could have been handled differently to avoid the disappointment (perhaps my post wasn't clear enough), and b.) my experience could be helpful to someone that may be in a similar situation down the road considering Kidani for their EXTENDED family wanting to stay there.

It doesn't mean everyone needs to tell me to lower my expectations. I have no intention of doing so. THAT is the part that I don't like. Don't tell me how I SHOULD act, what I SHOULD expect. It's judgmental. I didn't ask you to judge ME or my expectations - just your take on the SITUATION. Too many people here have difficulty separating the person from the person's problem. People telling me they felt Disney did the best they could do - Thank you. People telling me that I'm asking too much. I don't think so. If you do, sorry for that, and you can continue to think so, but don't judge ME based on who YOU are and what YOUR situation in life is because you only walk in your shoes.
__________________


DisneyFool
Denise
disneyfool_1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #39
dissupermom
Mouseketeer
 
dissupermom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 168

I'm saying when people state that they paid "thousands of dollars" for vacation they need to get something.. you get what you paid for. there are no promises
dissupermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #40
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,685

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissupermom View Post
I'm saying when people state that they paid "thousands of dollars" for vacation they need to get something.. you get what you paid for. there are no promises
That's my take as well...I too would have complained about the first room not really being a savanna view, because via points, the OP paid for a savanna view room.

Other than, they were just requests. My expectations are that I get what I pay for, and anything else is just a nice to have. I don't consider that to be low expectations.
OurBigTrip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #41
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .
 
StitchandPooh'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,632

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBigTrip View Post
I've never understood people that post something, and then get mad when everyone doesn't agree with them.

You were one of hundreds of guests with requests, and they did the best they could. From the perspective of a room assigner, your requests are no more important than another guest's requests. Sorry you weren't happy with the results, but in a system where the goal is to meet the requests of as many people as possible, someone is going to be unhappy. I'm sorry that this time it was you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfool_1202 View Post
Our co-travelers had standard view requested- we had savanna view. We were told they would "most likely be" parking lot view across the hall from us and we'd be savannah view across the hall from them. Trust me- I asked many questions as I have never stayed here before. If they kept my friend's ORIGINAL room request and moved us to a room across the hall rather than upgrade them, then our requests would have been met. It just didn't make any sense to me.
There probably was not a room available across the hall from your friend's original room. I expect savannah rooms in good locations are always occupied.

You both got the room you paid for - for you, you asked to be moved to a better view room and got it. Your friends actually got a BETTER room than they paid for.

Most people who have stayed at Kidani (or AKL in general) or even just researched the resort know that the hallways are very long. As such, they also request close to transportation or close to the lobby - I know I have made that request. Many people travel with friends and family and request to be nearby. Sometimes you get the requests, sometime you don't. We have sometimes gotten connecting rooms and sometimes been at the other end of the resort. It happens.

I haven't seen anyone saying you should expect less than you paid for. I see people saying you shouldn't expect MORE than you paid for. You should expect to get the room you paid for, and you did. I'm always happy when my requests are met, but not disappointed when they are not, provided I am in the room I paid for and everything works and is clean.

Hope your next trip better meets your expectations. Maybe your friends can transfer their points to you next time so you can all be in a 2BR and be together.
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #42
luvdzny
DIS Veteran
 
luvdzny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,493

I don't think staying at Jambo will necessarily change anything. I returned home from AKL Jambo house last week. I booked 3 DVC rooms 11 months out on the first day possible to book the rooms. I requested that they be close together and close to the elevator if possible. We were spread out across the resort and non of the rooms were near an elevator. My daughter has a neurological disorder and long distance walking isn't always easy for her either. In addition to that she was 3 months in to a high risk pregnancy. We did not get our requests, oh well we had a great vacation and I realize that they were just REQUESTS. For all I know, there could have been 10 other families visiting at the same time with similar requests.

When I make requests I consider them just that, requests. If I get them great, if not no worries. I also know that a vacation to WDW is going to involve a lot of walking so a room close to an elevator may save a few steps but in the long run you still have to do a lot of walking.
__________________


luvdzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #43
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night
 
Sparkly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: England
Posts: 2,274

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfool_1202 View Post
I did use online check-in and that was the "Third" place the request was noted. As for "how can two categories be accommodated? I asked specifically.
Our co-travelers had standard view requested- we had savanna view. We were told they would "most likely be" parking lot view across the hall from us and we'd be savannah view across the hall from them. Trust me- I asked many questions as I have never stayed here before. If they kept my friend's ORIGINAL room request and moved us to a room across the hall rather than upgrade them, then our requests would have been met. It just didn't make any sense to me.

I'm not mad that everyone doesn't agree with me, I just don't like assumptions being made based on a post. While I understand it's difficult to glean an entire situation from reading someone's post, it is just that- a post. I felt posting MY disappointment was a.) warranted as it is a community to express both positive and negative experiences to benefit others and I was originally asking if anyone had a similar situation that could have been handled differently to avoid the disappointment (perhaps my post wasn't clear enough), and b.) my experience could be helpful to someone that may be in a similar situation down the road considering Kidani for their EXTENDED family wanting to stay there.

It doesn't mean everyone needs to tell me to lower my expectations. I have no intention of doing so. THAT is the part that I don't like. Don't tell me how I SHOULD act, what I SHOULD expect. It's judgmental. I didn't ask you to judge ME or my expectations - just your take on the SITUATION. Too many people here have difficulty separating the person from the person's problem. People telling me they felt Disney did the best they could do - Thank you. People telling me that I'm asking too much. I don't think so. If you do, sorry for that, and you can continue to think so, but don't judge ME based on who YOU are and what YOUR situation in life is because you only walk in your shoes.
Calm down, for goodness sake. Nothing's worth getting so flared up about! You had your bad stay. It's over.

I agree that Kidani has the longest halls which take FOREVER to walk down. I thought I was never going to get to the lobby!
__________________


Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #44
carrie1626
DIS Veteran
 
carrie1626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 2,436

I appreciate posts such as yours because I think we can all learn from them.

I am truly sorry the events that occurred happened to you.

What I learned fro your post was: do not take a room that doesn't come close to what you asked/requested for at 10:00 am and make sure to explain to the CM that you are willing to wait until the stated check-in time to assure to get exactly or very closely to what you requested for.
__________________
I wish I were at WDW everyday
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #45
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,685

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1626 View Post
I appreciate posts such as yours because I think we can all learn from them.

I am truly sorry the events that occurred happened to you.

What I learned fro your post was: do not take a room that doesn't come close to what you asked/requested for at 10:00 am and make sure to explain to the CM that you are willing to wait until the stated check-in time to assure to get exactly or very closely to what you requested for.
What she paid for or what she requested? If what she paid for, I agree. If what she requested, well she might wait there all day with no room, because it could be (and most likely was) a case of them just not having what she requested.
OurBigTrip is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: