Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #16
disneyfool_1202
The countdown has begun!!

Not when you're walking a few months after having a total knee replacement it's not.

DisneyFool
Denise
disneyfool_1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #17
phyllis1966
DIS addict who eats vicariously through others on the Restaurant Board
It makes me feel old when a young whippersnapper calls me "ma'am"

I agree with the OP completely...when you spend thousands of dollars on these WDW trips, and we all do, we shouldn't have to lower our expectations.

Also, this is a discussion board. Why can't we have a discussion that involves someone's disappointment without that person being told she's wrong?

Peace out.

May 2006::December 2006 - surprise 40th Birthday family trip!!!
November 2007::November 2009::November 2010
November 2011 - GF surprised us with upgrade to RPC-TPV!::October 2012 - GF surprised us again - upgraded to Sugarloaf for 20th Anniversary!::July 2014 - Aulani!::F&WF Quickie October 2014
Sweet 16 Trip to Disneyland - July 2015

Our little family: DH and me ~ DD15 ~ Gracie
phyllis1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #18
tink2007
DIS Veteran

Well put
2005 - Wilderness Lodge
2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
2009 - Marriott's Harbor Lake Resort
2010 - All Star Movies
2011 - Marriott's Harbor Lake Resort
2012 - All Star Sports
2013 - Coronado Springs Resort
2013 - Marriott's Harbour Lake
2013 - All Star Sports
2013 - Disney Cruise - Dream
2014 - Disney All Star Music
2014 - Fort Wilderness
2014 - Art of Animation
2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2014 - Disney Cruise - Wonder
tink2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #19
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfool_1202 View Post
Both.
I shouldn't be "attacked" for being disappointed. As I said, the resort was beautiful. I do understand a request is a request. But I do think that when families travel together, rooms should be able to be placed closer together than buildings away, especially when the reservations are made 7 months ahead of time. I don't necessarily mean next to each other. But not 10 minutes away.
And no, the view had no savannah - it was a fence and a road, and then the land BEYOND the savannah-The woods around the property. I had to hang over the balcony and look left to see the savannah. I don't consider this a savannah view that cost hundreds of points. You may have your expectation but I have mine and I expect what I paid for. I work hard for my money. I have a standard. You think I may need to lower it. Believe me, I don't. It's not that high in other area's of my life but when I scrape nickel and dime for years to be able to fly all of us and afford all else that one needs to pay for in Disney (because our DVC only covers our room) then yes, I have certain expectations of that room and that hotel. It's called customer service. I am a paying customer. I paid THOUSANDS. I expect service. As a customer we provide their best advertisement. Unhappy customers- unhappy advertisement.
I think anyone who thinks "I have paid thousands so I'm going to lower my expectations" just tossed money out the window and said "oh well" or you just have money to burn. I don't. I have to work and work hard for every dime of it.
I don't see where anyone has attacked you. I think they have shared their DVC experiences and tried to help you have realistic expectations. You both initially got the room category you booked, but you didn't get your requests. It happens all the time. You are not the only one to request close to transportation or to have rooms near each other. When you didn't like your particular savannah view, they moved you to another one, which I consider to be good customer service.

Everyone pays thousands for their Disney trips, and almost everyone works hard for their money. Sorry you didn't get any pixie dust to make sure you had the best room and it was located next to the rest of your group (which is hard when one books a savannah and one books a standard), but it sounds like the other part of your group got some nice pixie dust. I agree with the others - if you all need to be together, you should book a room that holds everyone. Disney is not going to displace someone else so you can have rooms next to each other. If they are not available, they are not available.
StitchandPooh'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #20
AndreaA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidrific View Post
Although you were told "no problem" by member services - that meant "no problem" to put the request on your reservation. Requests are not guaranteed for any DVC not just AKL and that includes VWL.
If I am told "no problem" in response to a request, then I expect it to mean "no problem, you will get your request". I should not have to read between the lines or scour a board like this one to determine that it really doesn't mean squat. They should flat out SAY that it is unlikely, (or slightly possible, or whatever) if that is what it comes down to. But of course they don't want to do that, because people might hesitate to book at all. Classic bait and switch, if you ask me, and not what I would expect paying thousands at Disney World.

I don't consider what the OP was first given to be a Savannah view room, and it's hard for me to believe that anyone one else would be happy if they put up the money/points and were given a view of a road.

Wilderness Lodge - Oct.2012
Villas @ WL - Sept.2013

Contemporary - Jan. 2015
Villas @ WL - Nov. 2015
AndreaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #21
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

I am curious to know if the email confirmation of the reservation listed the request.

Usually, if I make a request, I am told "no problem" to make the request but that requests are not guaranteed. And then, on my reservation, the request is typically listed but has "NT GTD" next to it.

I am wondering if they would put "GTD" if it was in fact guaranteed. FWIW, I never expect to get my requests, but when I have I was pretty happy!

OP, hope your next trip is better.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #22
Big O
Earning My Ears

I have to agree with the OP that Kidani Village isn't my bag for several reasons the least of which is value for my dollar. Maintenance was a big issue for us...we never could get the AC to run lower than 74 and this is with having the maintenance team come to villa twice to see if they could help. The front desk was very helpful though in that they offered to move us back to the Poly from where we came but alas we stocked our fridge and would have had no place to store all our goodies. However, I will say that I work for a leader in orthopaedic implants and a trip to WDW would not be the first place recommended to go to one to several months after total knee surgery. Perhaps the seashore may have been a better trip for you at the time. Sorry you had so many problems and I hope your next Disney adventure will reward you with many magical times.
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #23
TagsMissy
Counting down the days... It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
I sympathize with you, but 10 minutes away from a room in AKL would be on Osceola Parkway.
Was that necessary? If you have ever been to Kidani you would know it is a good 10 minutes one end to the other. There was no need to be rude.
79-95 Numerous Disneyland Trips/98 POFQ /08 POR/09 POR, SSR/AKV Kidani & BLT/11 BWV & BLT/12 Aulani & Disneyland Club 33/13 DL Club 33/Wonder & BLT/BWV/14 AKV Jambo/VWL & DL Friend's Wedding Celebration & perhaps some 33 lovin' /15 DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean & BLT/GFV

TagsMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:39 PM   #24
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagsMissy View Post
Was that necessary? If you have ever been to Kidani you would know it is a good 10 minutes one end to the other. There was no need to be rude.
I wasn't being rude, and I have been to Kidani.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #25
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

OP, sorry you weren't happy, but requests are just that - requests. I agree that your original Savanna view room wasn't truly a Savanna view room, but they took care of that.

When I make a request and am told "No problem", I assume that means that the request is noted, not that I'm definitely going to get it. And JMHO, but I would have never planned on doing WDW so soon after knee replacement unless I was going to use an ECV.
OurBigTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #26
samnbilly
Loves the GF and the Castle.All nurses go to heaven. Has a shoe obsession

We all put ourselves out here in a public forum to share info for others & to obtain info from others to help plan our stay. I have rec'd invaluable information from some of our Dis'ers!
That being said, not everyone agrees with people's posts, which are absolutely fine, & there's ways to make suggestions so the next trip can be booked without such difficulty as perceived by the O.P.
There isn't any need to jump on the negative bandwagon as so many threads wind up doing. Saying ppl should be thankful for their room category, start talking inside hotel lingo, etc.
sounds like she was being quite patient to wait for something that she thought was a possibility.we didn't hear about her screaming, demanding some sort of compensation, etc.
when ppl want to give info that's suggestive in nature, or informative, that's great! For some reason, it seems to head into the derogatory nature, condescending, etc.
I always think to myself-Would I say this to a person straight to their face & what would the reception be to my words? I feel like many people don't think about how their words may be taken or the tone for which theyre perceived.
I know that I want ppl to feel comfortable @ confident for the things that they wrote & not feel judged or attacked in anyway!
Lets give some Disney Love!!
Oct.04-GF-S.L./BC-concierge
Aug. 05-BC/ AKL
Oct. 06- off site
Oct. 08-BC
Oct. 13 BWI CL

samnbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #27
*Fantasia*
Nothing beats a nice clean-clear cold ice water!
I could google and google all day and compare.. but I want to hear from you guys of your experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBigTrip View Post
OP, sorry you weren't happy, but requests are just that - requests. I agree that your original Savanna view room wasn't truly a Savanna view room, but they took care of that.

When I make a request and am told "No problem", I assume that means that the request is noted, not that I'm definitely going to get it. And JMHO, but I would have never planned on doing WDW so soon after knee replacement unless I was going to use an ECV.
That's exactly how I would take it. "No problem" means I will make a note of your request on the reservation. I'm sorry about your knee problem. It would have been nice if both rooms weren't so far apart, but maybe they are so booked that they can't move people around.
CSR~2x~ '04-'04--- POFQ 3x~ '03-'04-'05--- WL~2x~ '04-'05--- Poly 2x~ '04-04

Disney Wonder Dec 2004--- HRH~ '03--- RPH 3x~'04-'04-'05
Offsite~ '83-'91-'94-'00-'04
*Fantasia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:29 AM   #28
Shaden
DIS Veteran

OP I totally get why you were unhappy, and you had a right to be so. I agree with what some have pointed out here, a request is only that, a request. But it seems like your interactions with a CM lead you to believe it would be .... no problem . I am also with you 100% about expectations at disney. This isnt some budget vacation destination, its a very pricy high end, for many, once in a lifetime, vacation. We should expect more, not settle for less and defend disney just because we love wdw and want to pretend they do no wrong.

Its very much like the animal towel thread, the people who say they want them or think they should be included have been attacked , why, because other people dont care about them, and so put people down for suggesting disney ought to up its service and ensure them.... despite the fact disney advertises them all the time. Of course those same people might throw a fit if dumbo was down for repair ... and we wouldnt give a care. People enjoy different aspects of a disney vacation, and for us to expect a higher level of customer service when spending the type of cash wdw takes, only serves to better everyones experi3nce.... to expect less will only ensure you, and we all, l get less.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:47 AM   #29
cobright
DIS Veteran

Me: I would like to request a chocolate fountain in my room where the shower nozzle usually is. Can I do that?

Guy on phone: sure you can. I'll make a note of it on your reservation.

Me: so they'll know to make sure that chocolate comes out of my shower?

Guy: that's right! Got that request all set for you.

Me: great!

Guy: we sure are!
cobright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:28 AM   #30
Squidrific
Oh, and we hate sushiDarn Hasselhoff!
I will do my best to behave over here everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaA View Post
If I am told "no problem" in response to a request, then I expect it to mean "no problem, you will get your request". I should not have to read between the lines or scour a board like this one to determine that it really doesn't mean squat. They should flat out SAY that it is unlikely, (or slightly possible, or whatever) if that is what it comes down to. But of course they don't want to do that, because people might hesitate to book at all. Classic bait and switch, if you ask me, and not what I would expect paying thousands at Disney World.

I don't consider what the OP was first given to be a Savannah view room, and it's hard for me to believe that anyone one else would be happy if they put up the money/points and were given a view of a road.
Are you familiar at all with Kidani???? The exact room she describes which is at the end of the building overlooking the pool - overlooks the Pembe Savannah. That IS a savannah view room. It is a DVC only savannah which those in Jambo do not have a view of. For many that is not a preferred view as most people including myself and obviously the OP included would rather have a room on the sunset savannah. Thus, in the recommendation I gave, it is better to ask the front desk the room or bead location of your room before actually going to the room so if it is not what you want you can ask for something different.

Additionally, please look up the word request. As mentioned, the OP made some requests. These are requests not a GUARANTEE. At DVC, you can request specific things just as a lot of other people are doing. Disney will make note of your REQUEST. Disney will try to honor your request, but it is never a guarantee nor should it be taken as such. They get a lot of requests every day and they can't make everyone happy and guess what - everyone else with their requests are spending the same thousands of dollars that you are.

I am not someone who drinks the Disney kool-aid, however, in this instance they are NOT in the wrong. This is not a bait and switch. Although you may not want to "read between the lines or scour a board like this one" to find out the truth about these things, it is the responsibility of DVC owners to understand all aspects of owning and using their ownership. And, if you are put off by the fact that you can only put in a request and not get a guarantee and that will keep you from booking than great - more room for me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: