DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
Ccann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneSparrow View Post
We purchased direct for the first time in 2010 at BLT just because there's not a lot of resale for that resort which was new then.

If we add points it will be resale unless its for a new DVC resort again. Didn't have funds to add on at GFV so hopefully we will have money to spare for Poly DVC
So please correct me if I am wrong. If I buy two contracts lets say 100 AKV and 100 BC I then would have two home resorts? Would all of my points be able to be used at either place or will some lose their value? Does that make sense.

While I want to stay in lots of places I love the deluxe and my kids favor AKL a lot..
Ccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccann View Post
So please correct me if I am wrong. If I buy two contracts lets say 100 AKV and 100 BC I then would have two home resorts? Would all of my points be able to be used at either place or will some lose their value? Does that make sense.

While I want to stay in lots of places I love the deluxe and my kids favor AKL a lot..
For 11 month bookings, only BCV points can be used at BCV, same with BLT. At 7 months the points from both resorts can be combined to book at any resort.

Bill

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #18
Ccann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post

For 11 month bookings, only BCV points can be used at BCV, same with BLT. At 7 months the points from both resorts can be combined to book at any resort.

Bill
So for a December trip in order to use both set of points together I have to wait to book in June? Could I book in January and then add days to my reservation in June with the other points? I am getting ahead of myself but... This would factor greatly on what I will do or don't do.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #19
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
My advice is that you spend time reading the various posts here on the DIS, your questions are asked often. You will get a good feel of how the DVC works, the pluses and minuses.

Good luck and have fun!

Bill
IMO it takes about 6 months of active investigation to gather enough info to make an informed decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabas View Post
I think the article is decent as far as it goes. Any math evaluation leaves out what are likely the 2 most important issues, that of the psychology of the timeshare and that of risk. For example, the article compares a moderate to a DVC studio. Ultimately most people don't end up consistently using studios so the article gives you best case scenarios only.

Last edited by Dean; 08-30-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #20
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
So for a December trip in order to use both set of points together I have to wait to book in June? Could I book in January and then add days to my reservation in June with the other points? I am getting ahead of myself but... This would factor greatly on what I will do or don't do.

Thanks
Yes you can do that if there is availability in June.

My advice is to buy enough points to stay at your favorite resorts every other year, bank your points to double them up.

Buy a MK resort, a Epcot/DHS resort and if you love AK, buy at AKV. Each vacation focus on one park and stay close by.

Another suggestion, stay at all of the resorts before spending thousands and finding out that the resort you bought isn't where you want to stay.

DVC is a 30 to 50 year purchase, what you don't do or see today, you can do it next vacation. Disney isn't going anywhere.

Bill

Last edited by disneynutz; 09-01-2013 at 11:54 PM. Reason: sp
disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #21
JaneSparrow
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Thanks
The beauty of DVC is you are not locked to specific resort/room/week. You can do this several ways:
1. Bank and Borrow at AKV for 1 trip. Then bank and borrow at BCV for second trip. This way you can have your vacation booked at 11 months and its not a split stay.
2. Book both resorts at 11 months so you have a reservation for the dates you want - it will just be a split stay. Assuming you have enough points then no need to borrow. At 7 months, you can check one or the other resort is available and switch 1 of your reservations and you're all set. Waitlist if either one is not available.

Btw, there was a minimum number of points you have to buy for new members buying direct. It was 160 points for BLT at the time of purchase.
JaneSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #22
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:

Thanks
December can be hard to get at seven months out. You could book a split stay, half your stay at each of the two resorts at 11 months out. But you will have to move which is a pain in the butt.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #23
JustTinking
DVC Member since 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by timandjanl View Post
What do you mean by "difficulty of a September UY?"
I think the PP was referring to lack of availability of Sept UY contracts in the resale market. Sept is definitely less available than many of the other UYs.

JustTinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #24
blessed2BaMama
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by timandjanl View Post
What do you mean by "difficulty of a September UY?"
I am the poster that made this comment. Our problem with a Sept UY has nothing to do with the timing of trips but with the fact that we did not know that Sept UY contracts at AKV and BLT are almost the smallest percentage of UY contracts. This made purchasing a second (good priced, loaded) resale contract with a Sept UY at BLT much harder to find than say a Dec UY contract. At AKV, Dec UY's make up for I think 25% of all contracts which makes them easier to find on the resale market. Thats all - just something I didnt know when I started...But we bought AKV in May and are now closing on BLT next week (both with Sept UYs ) so it can be done, the selection is just not as easy to find!
blessed2BaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #25
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:

Thanks
December reservations at non-home resorts may be made in May - 7 months, to the day, prior to your arrival date.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #26
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:

Thanks
What is permitted and what is possible may be very different -- especially for certain resorts at certain times, and for all resorts for December.

Are you allowed to book or add non-home dates at seven months? Yes. Realistically, are you going to routinely be successful booking December in May? Probably not. In fact, many dates sell out the morning the 11-month window opens.

And BCV will be especially difficult because of the small size of the resort.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #27
Ccann
Mouseketeer

Great information and a lot to think about. Because of my job we have to vacation Nov-Jan. Which I guess is good because we head south where its warm ...but will need to make sure I pick the right resort I would be most comfortable with... especially with what everyone has said about the he 11 month bookings...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: