Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
cgscott
Earning My Ears

Are autographs necessary?

We will be going on our first trip this year and our older boys will be 6 and 8 (also have a baby). I think we can get by without the boys wanting autographs, which seems preferable in terms of planning and seeing everything we want to see on our 5 day trip.
Am I kidding myself that my boys won't want autographs? Is it something where they will see other kids getting them and they will want them too?
We likely will only have one future trip to disney, when baby is older, so I don't want to spend too much time waiting for autographs.
Thanks!
cgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
Fantasmiss
DIS Veteran

Maybe you can just ask them? And if they change their mind when they're there, just bring autograph books for them or buy them there?
May 2008 - WDW - All Star Sports - 2 weeks
Jan 2009 - WDW - All Star Music + All Star Movies - 2 weeks - birthday trip
Feb/Mar 2010 - DLP - Santa Fe - 6 days
Jan 2011 - WDW - All Star Movies & Pop Century - 17 days - birthday trip
May 2011 - WDW - All Star Sports - 17 days - anniversary trip
Nov 2011 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 6 days
Oct/Nov 2012 - WDW - All Star Sports+Art of Animation - 3 weeks - 10th Disney Trip
Oct/Nov 2013 - WDW - All Star Sports - 25 days - birthday trip
MAR 2014 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 5 days- birthday trip

MAY 2014 - WDW - ALL STAR SPORTS - 17 DAYS - ANNIVERSARY TRIP!

Fantasmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
jmv223
Earning My Ears

The first time I took my kids to Disney they were about to turn 9 and 11. Character meets and autographs never crossed my mind when planning. I thought my kids would have no interest and if I had asked them they would have said no.

But the second we got there we saw Buzz and had to run and buy autograph books! We went to Chef Mickey's that night and my almost 11 year old son went nuts. He was just as excited to meet the characters and get autographs as his little sister. I'm so glad we had that dinner planned and even now as a high school sophomore and senior, meeting characters is a must for them.

So you never know!
jmv223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
arcticdisneylovers
DIS Veteran

Plan a couple character breakfasts and pick up a couple autograph books (with picture holders). Then you won't have to worry about waiting in line in the parks and you'll have the pictures with the autographs for a keepsake!
arcticdisneylovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
poohfriend77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgscott
We will be going on our first trip this year and our older boys will be 6 and 8 (also have a baby). I think we can get by without the boys wanting autographs, which seems preferable in terms of planning and seeing everything we want to see on our 5 day trip.
Am I kidding myself that my boys won't want autographs? Is it something where they will see other kids getting them and they will want them too?
We likely will only have one future trip to disney, when baby is older, so I don't want to spend too much time waiting for autographs.
Thanks!
So really, you're saying you don't want to do character meets at all (if there is a line, anyway)? If the trip is not a surprise, I'd ask them. We always let the kids help prioritize. "If we wait in line to see Mickey, we won't have time to ride Pirates again. Which is more important to you?"

Some kids care, others don't. Mine LOVE trying to track down as many characters and autographs as possible. That is as much a part of the Disney experience to us as the rides. Friends who went last year didn't do autographs at all and did only 2 M&G's because her kids just didn't care.
poohfriend77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
Hayes76
Earning My Ears

We've never done the autographs on previous trips but I'm considering it this time. My kids will be 2, 4 & 6. I thought it would be nice to since they still believe in the magic. I'm thinking of putting the picture of each 1 in the book beside the autographs. We are doing a few character dinners which will make it easier & take less time away from our park time.
Hayes76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
Taylor'sMom
Wish I was there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayes76
We've never done the autographs on previous trips but I'm considering it this time. My kids will be 2, 4 & 6. I thought it would be nice to since they still believe in the magic. I'm thinking of putting the picture of each 1 in the book beside the autographs. We are doing a few character dinners which will make it easier & take less time away from our park time.
I agree... get the autographs while they still believe in the magic. We too, add the photos to the book when we return, and DD has always loved showing her book with photos and autographs, as if they are movie stars! (Well, I guess they ARE!). Plus... if u plan a trip in the future when baby is older, that youngest child may get excited looking at the book/autographs/signatures that their older siblings got years prior.
And yes, if you do a character meal, that is the best way to get the photos/autographs.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohfriend77 View Post
So really, you're saying you don't want to do character meets at all (if there is a line, anyway)? If the trip is not a surprise, I'd ask them. We always let the kids help prioritize. "If we wait in line to see Mickey, we won't have time to ride Pirates again. Which is more important to you?"

Some kids care, others don't. Mine LOVE trying to track down as many characters and autographs as possible. That is as much a part of the Disney experience to us as the rides. Friends who went last year didn't do autographs at all and did only 2 M&G's because her kids just didn't care.
This is the same as our kids!!

2 trips ago, they had no issues sitting for an hour and a half waiting to meet Rapunzel and Flynn. We told them it would be a long wait, and my then 4 and 6 year olds took their place in line and sat down, perfectly happy to wait.

It was actually a nice break.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
ibrokeitmommy
Mouseketeer

My kids are 5 and 9 and they both loved getting autographs. I think meeting the characters is part of the Disney magic.
ibrokeitmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
Nixie
DIS Veteran

We ask the kids which one character is important for them to see and then we make it a priority to see that one character for them. We also book character meals which are nice because the characters come to you. No wait in lines. We also have just stopped if we happen upon a character with no line which happened 3 times last trip. Last time I did let each child carry their own autograph book, but this time I think we will just have a family autograph book. 4 autograph books made me feel like the characters didn't interact much with my kids because they were spending soo much time just autographing our books.

To me half the fun of Disney is actually meeting the characters. It is as much part of the fun and magic as the rides are. I would definitely ask your kids if they are interested in meeting some characters. If they are, maybe make a few a priority and maybe book a few character meals!

Nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
BuzzBelleMom
DIS Veteran

Mine are going to be 12 and 15 for our upcoming 5th trip. DH thought they were too old for autographs. They vehemently disagree. DS wants photo mats for his autographs. DD has a bag for Duffy to sign and is still debating what else for the rest.

Last trip, they were thrilled to meet Alice and White Rabbit for the first time and took off running after Pooh and Tigger without checking to see if it was okay. They were 10 and 13.

Last trip we did not do a singular character meal and they complained for months afterwards, so this time we compromised on Chef Mickey's.

Definitely check with your kiddos, OP. It is just easier that way.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
lroger01
DIS Veteran

One option if your not sure is to just go on a character hunt. Print up a list of all the characters you might find. For easy handling put them on 3x5 cards grouped by movie. Then make a game of seeing all the characters you can. You don't need to actually do a meet and greet, just seeing them in the park somewhere is enough to check it off.

This method allows for character fun but doesn't take up so much time. It's also good for kids that are shy around characters. If the kids decide they want an autograph, you could have the character sign the back of the index card.

I've always found that autographs are fun while in the park, but no one really cares about them after we get home.

The checklist thing is more fun than it sounds. It's a lot like the license plate game when on a road trip.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
Toddgabweg
Earning My Ears

I am not a fan of autographs (holds up the line)- my kids never asked to get autographs (I am a fan of pictures- not autographs) jmho
Toddgabweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
DisneyAllyC
Princess Ally

Character meals are definitely better for autographs. You get more time with them that way

1998:First trip to Disney-Polynesian
2004: Pop Century
2005: All Star Music
2007: Saratoga Springs
2009: High School Senior Trip-All Star Sports

4 days until my next trip to Disney World!
DisneyAllyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasmiss View Post
Maybe you can just ask them? And if they change their mind when they're there, just bring autograph books for them or buy them there?
Can I just say "Bravo!" for using their, they're and there correctly?
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: