Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #106
andyman8
DIS Veteran

I'm in the "if it makes them happy, who cares?" pool. I think people, seems particularly on the DIS, get way too worried about what others are doing and how it's "wrong" and "ruining my vacation". If you don't want it to bother you, don't give it much thought. I can't imagine people being on their phones is extremely detrimental to your Celebrate the Magic showing.

At the end of the day, it's society; you can complain and let it bother you or just go on with your vacation!
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #107
MattRyan
Mouseketeer

It's just annoying when there's 100+ people filming wishes, illuminations, fantasmic, etc. with their phones, cameras, ipads, etc. and all you see are hands in the air with bright LCD screens. I was trying to watch the castle show once and I couldn't see because a guy had his hands up right in front of me filming it.

Honestly, none of the videos they are taking will probably be ever watched, and not to mention there are going to be better videos of it already on YT.
MattRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #108
StuckInKS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelay View Post
Having fun and simply enjoying your surroundings is an even better tool. People rarely reminisce about the the time they stopped and took dozens of pictures.
I did not take many photos or videos on our previous trips and really regret it now. We were so "in the moment" that I simply did not think about it, but now I wish I had more to look back on. I plan on taking more next trip.
StuckInKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #109
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTikiBeckie
I find it much less "sad" that people are trying to take pictures of fun stuff while at Disney and find myself more annoyed when I see people on their phones in the car, or out to dinner as a family with every single member on their phone and not talking to one another.
No need to fear, we have threads to complain about those things too.

[COLOR="Magenta"][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="2"]
surferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #110
iheartbuffy
Mouseketeer

For me, my mother died when I was 15. She hated having her picture taken. I have one good picture of me and my mother from when I was about 5. Now when we are out doing things, I make sure I get pictures, for me, for my son. I don't want him to one day be wishing he had pictures of us together.

As for filming shows etc. I did it with the castle show this past July. I held my phone up but didn't watch through it. Now I have an okay video that isn't even on the castle at times but in that video I can hear the response of my family and I can watch it and be in that moment again. I don't care how crappy it is, it is special to me. Taking a lot of pictures or videos doesn't mean someone isn't 'living in the moment'.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #111
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
No one has said anything like that on this thread. We've all just made observations about what other people should or should not do, just like you did.
This is exactly the problem for me. It's people telling other people what they should or shouldn't be doing. And then saying that what they're doing makes them "sad" or it's "depressing" and telling those folks that they "aren't living life".

The best part is when someone then denies trying to tell anyone else what to do, claiming it's "just how I feel".

In essence, they're saying, "Don't let me stop you from doing your thing; I'll sit over here feeling sad and depressed." Or alternately, "I'll just sit over here TRULY enjoying life in a way you'll never understand until you do what I tell you to do. Not that I'm judging you!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartbuffy View Post
For me, my mother died when I was 15. She hated having her picture taken. I have one good picture of me and my mother from when I was about 5. Now when we are out doing things, I make sure I get pictures, for me, for my son. I don't want him to one day be wishing he had pictures of us together.

As for filming shows etc. I did it with the castle show this past July. I held my phone up but didn't watch through it. Now I have an okay video that isn't even on the castle at times but in that video I can hear the response of my family and I can watch it and be in that moment again. I don't care how crappy it is, it is special to me. Taking a lot of pictures or videos doesn't mean someone isn't 'living in the moment'.
That's beautiful!
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #112
Disnerdette
Earning My Ears

I love taking photos while at the parks because I love photography and I don't get to go often, but I've never recorded any of the shows as I don't think they necessarily transfer the same feeling.

That being said, I've tried to be much more aware about enjoying my surroundings rather than taking a hundred pictures. In my last DLR trip, I took a photo of the Court of Angels, as it was the first time I had seen it empty. And now wouldn't you know, its closing for good in a few months, and I won't make it back there again. As sad as I am about losing such a special place, I'm glad I have a photo of it to remind me of that day.

On a semi-related note, we were watching the Billy Hill show at DLR in the front row when they encouraged kids to get up and dance with Woody and Jesse. A woman sitting alone next to us tapped my boyfriend on the shoulder, handed him her iPad, and then got up to dance, turning to make sure my boyfriend was recording it. We were so shocked and surprised that we were distracted by what she was doing and laughing the whole time, and now we have a funny memory of recording someone else's memory.

wdw to do list:
*expedition everest *victoria & alberts *maelstrom *spaceship earth *test track *hall of presidents

dl to do list:
*dole whip *enchanted tiki room *casey jr *storybook canal boats *lilly belle
Disnerdette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #113
mom2_3girls
Mouseketeer

I am a picture and video person! I will say we videotape Wishes and the Castle Show each time we are there....I videotape/take pics of the kids before the show and right after. I have a daughter that has a serious medical condition and I want the memories...one of my favorite videos is listening to her talk about how neat that firework was is and the reaction when she saw herself on the castle show during her wish trip.

I personally don't really care about what other people do. Heck, I hardly pay attention to other people when I'm out. I'm about my family and spending time and making memories with them.

me : dh: dd (17) dd (11) former wish child dd (10)
2009 offsite, 2010 Disney Marathon/offsite
2011 Give Kids the World
2012 POP Century/CBR, 2013 BC/AKL, 2013 AoA/Disney Dream
mom2_3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #114
cfw213
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamfish500 View Post
Personally, part of the fun of vacation to me is taking lots of photos. I don't record parades, fireworks, whatever, but I will take a few photos of them. I take lots of shots of random things because they help tell the story of the vacation more than just a photo of us with Mickey or in front of the castle. I scrapbook too, which could be part of that storytelling element. I make sure we have excited pictures when we are in the airport the first morning, photos of us having fun, our surroundings, and capture how sad we are when the trip is over.

I don't use an iPad for pictures and I would never bother others with my photography. I usually don't comment on these types of threads but this one just bothered me. I don't judge those who don't enjoy taking pictures so I don't think it's fair for those people to judge us who do love photography.
Well said, totally agree

September 2012 TR - COMPLETE- Are you Push?? Our sister trip around the World - A September 2012 TR
October 2013 TR - IN PROGRESS- Where are we going? What are we doing? An engagement/anniversary extravaganza! - An Oct 2013 TR

cfw213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #115
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

It really annoys me when people shove me out of the way to take pictures of something that hundreds or thousands of professionals have photographed, and done a much better job. I'm a little more understanding about getting pictures of family, even though I don't do it myself. And it burns my biscuits when a dark ride, or theater, or cave, is ruined by people who just can't bear not to light up the dark with their flashes and screens. Otherwise, I mostly just get a smile out of the folks who seem to think that it didn't happen unless they took a picture.

Honestly, I take pictures so seldom that I don't remember the last time I took one. Maybe it was about two years ago? I just figure that the pictures will get lost or ruined, or the digital media will fail (like it always does), and if I'm depending on those photographs because I was too busy taking them to pay attention to what was going on all around me, then I'm out of luck.

Deaver Tex Mrs. Tex Tex Jr.

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

DeaverTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #116
webstah
DIS Veteran

I don't think anyone is saying don't take pictures. I think the big thing to remember is that while pictures can help you remember, after couple of pictures of your kid on the carousel, ride it with him or her. Which do you think they'll remember most? You taking a picture of them or you riding with them and having fun and acting goofy?
I think that it is a matter of balance. If it is what you enjoy then go for it. I lost my brother when he was fairly young and don't have many pictures of him as an adult, but I have A LOT of memories of the things we did together having fun.
Sept 2010 POR Sept 2011 POR Sept 2012 POR
Sept 2013 POR Aug/Sept 2014 POR

webstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #117
spidet1964
Mouseketeer

Though I have never taken pictures on dark rides or other restricted areas I am not taking many photos this trip. I took 750 last trip and except for Fantasyland don't really see the point. I have a photopass share and will take photos in BOG otherwise no pictures this time.You miss way too much snapping all the time.

]
spidet1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #118
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTikiBeckie View Post
I am a professional videographer by trade...I take a Disney vacation each year. A couple times, I brought my small HD camera to take video here and there to make a fun montage of our vacation. Took a break for a few years...now my daughter, who will be almost 3 when we take her in a few months, is most definitely going to be subjected to some video footage I do not take a ton of photos or do scrapbooking, but my family's way of preserving memories is to make personal videos of our trips.

That being said, I find it easy to strike a balance between getting the photo/footage you need, and enjoying and BEING in the moment. Having footage of her face on a new ride is priceless to me, but I shoot maybe 5-10 seconds, and find plenty of time to enjoy the ride after. I never really personally saw the point of watching Fantasmic behind a small screen for 20 minutes, but if that is what someone else wants to do, go for it. Do what makes you happy, as long as it is respectful of those around you

I find it much less "sad" that people are trying to take pictures of fun stuff while at Disney and find myself more annoyed when I see people on their phones in the car, or out to dinner as a family with every single member on their phone and not talking to one another.
Is that because you care about them and want them to be a close knit family who converse with one another during mealtimes? Do you assume that there is not much communication in the family and want to ensure their family bond stays tight?

Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
mefordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #119
NHTikiBeckie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefordis View Post
Is that because you care about them and want them to be a close knit family who converse with one another other during mealtimes? Do you assume that there is not much communication in the family and want to ensure their family bond stays tight?
I don't really want to get off topic here, but I do think mealtimes are a time to converse and chat...especially when we go out to dinner. Not that we have to be talking non-stop and can't check an email real quick or something, but when I see a family of 5 all with their heads down on their phones I do sort of wonder if they are close or disconnected with each other. I don't think we need t have our phones in our hands 24/7. Maybe it is because I rarely have opportunities to go out to dinner or even see my family and I would love that time to spend with them.

Disney World videos I made!

http://vimeo.com/7316001 (MGM & Animal Kingdom)

http://vimeo.com/7315073 (Epcot)

http://vimeo.com/7316111 (Magic Kingdom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjHXWMp1uhI (Christmas and Fun outside the parks)
NHTikiBeckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #120
Craigdarroch
Mouseketeer

Apparently I was the only one taking pictures at the Kiss concert
In all fairness... I only took three photos and two of them were before the show even started (and I made a point of trying not to obstruct anyone's view). Honestly, I was surprised there were so few phones in the air after what I've witnessed at both WDW and DL during shows.

Craigdarroch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: