Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 02:35 AM   #31
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

If it makes them happy, good for them.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:06 AM   #32
thehowells
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amie416 View Post
This is the new reality... so many people are missing the moment, trying to capture it in grainy video and distorted audio recordings. This is the scene at one of the concerts I work on every year. Kids camp out for several days on a downtown sidewalk to try and win wristbands to see their favourite performers, then they miss the whole show... even thought the whole thing is broadcast in HD and they could just record it on a PVR...

I agree with you 100% I am a concert junkie, but I have two problems. 1. I don't own a smartphone, 2. I own a dslr camera without video. we have a large very successful concert venue in town (like top 10 in the world for it's size) because my camera is "professional" because I can change the lens I can't bring it, but I can grab my wifes iphone and shoot the whole concert in 1080 hd, there is a double standard, and it is a problem at concerts, you often lose some of the show from the glow of screens. it was so bad at a concert by Russell peters last year, he had people working for him simply going around, and taking away the phones so people couldn't record the show

thehowells is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #33
Susiec
Mouseketeer

I love taking photos but there will b somedays I don't take my camera with m to enjoy the day

Susiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #34
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelay View Post
Having fun and simply enjoying your surroundings is an even better tool. People rarely reminisce about the the time they stopped and took dozens of pictures.
I think that we all have a problem trying to imagine that others have different ideas of what "fun" is. Whenever you see a photo, it is simply a snapshot of that moment. It may be amusing to draw conclusions about the people in the photo, and how they choose to spend that moment in time, and then compare the conclusions with your own idea of how you should spend the moment, but the reality is that no one knows anything about those folks in that little photo.

I think that random photos that are taken to prove a point have very little value. Using the photo to prove that those people are not enjoying themselves because they are doing something you choose not to do, makes no sense to me.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #35
MaxsDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Las Disney
I love taking photos but kind of agree with the OP as far as video is concerned.

For example, there are dozens of great videos of Wishes online that my little point and click camera or my cellphone camera couldn't possibly compare to so I will take a couple (flash free) pictures to remember the moment but see no reason to take a video, if I had kids I'd totally take video of my kids reaction to Wishes though.

I don't really get bothered by the small LCD screens on cameras and phones but find the tablet screens distracting.
you do see the irony in that right? In order to have so many great videos online, at some point in the process someone filmed it.

Posted from Disboards.com App for Android
MaxsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #36
smallworldnh
Mouseketeer

For myself personally, I found myself missing so much because I was so worried about taking pictures that last year, I didn't go as crazy and enjoyed the trip so much more because I was able to savor the atmosphere and relax. I did take pictures, I just didn't go insane to take like pictures of every animal on the safari at AK or 10 pictures of the castle at different angles, etc. I also don't have little kids anymore, so getting those pictures with Mickey isn't as big a deal.
smallworldnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #37
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Some people enjoy the act of photography itself.
Some people enjoy displaying and looking through all of their photos at a later date - it fills them with happy memories
Some people feel like it's a fun challenge to strive for the perfect pic.
Some people enjoy the world of social media and want to share their (not someone else's) pics with others.
Some people don't like using cameras and would rather leave their's at home.

As long as all of these people are enjoying themselves and aren't hurting others, is there an issue?

Last edited by WanderlustNZ; 08-28-2013 at 07:24 AM.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #38
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Alot of ppl are there for heir first trip or a once in a lifetime trip, I agree it can be annoying but as long as they aren't doing it on rides, in my face or in my way I'm ok with it.. After all... It's vacation..
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #39
kamik86
DIS Veteran

I found this during my first trip to be honest... Trying to get pictures of a few things I realized I was missing just seeing the show.

We take a lot less pictures now. Mostly pictures of us (photopass ones with our camera and theirs) and then parades and stuff that are slow moviing enough where I can see it all and snap pictures too.

That being said this is just me... I'm not a big photo person. I know others that are and they take alot more pictures... I sometimes steal theirs works perfectly for me!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #40
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

I love taking pictures when I in the mood. We go reasonably often so if I want to spend ten minutes taking a castle picture that exists a million times over and better on the net, no biggie I have a terrible visual memory so the photos are my visual a lot of the time.

Anymore I take a lot of photos on my phone because I consistently look through them and they make me happy

As long as others aren't flashing on rides I could not care less what they do. Just hope it is what will make them happy both in the present and in the future.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #41
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Also, I don't take pictures of "things". DH and I pretty much just take pictures of each other.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #42
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

I notice that in all of my childhood videos my parents took...when they videoed entire shows...we watch the first couple seconds and laugh at how the style of costumes have changed since the 90s....then we fast forward through it.

The shows aren't really "memories"...they're more of a "take in the moment" type of thing...because you can't capture that on a camera.

That is the point of the OP...that people aren't taking in the full moment anymore, but worrying about trying to put the moment "on paper" to remember later rather than living it. Anyone who can't understand that is trying to troll or be difficult.

You can argue for why you would take pictures/video anyway, or why it's not of his damn business, but he has a point.

Poly- '92, '94,'98, '00, '11, '12,
POR- 10'
AoA- April '13, Dec '13
Pop- Dec '13, Apr '14
CSR- '13
Son of Gadsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #43
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

But each person has their own perception. To think all are the same as yours, mine or the ops is shortsighted.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #44
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Excuse me, miss, would you mind taking a photo of us as a group?
Sure. Just consider it payment for the countless amusing posts you have made here on the DIS!

But I actually do offer to take a lot of photos in the parks for people. If I have a moment and see one parent taking a photo of the rest of their group, I usually ask if they want one with them in it as well.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #45
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gadsden View Post
I notice that in all of my childhood videos my parents took...when they videoed entire shows...we watch the first couple seconds and laugh at how the style of costumes have changed since the 90s....then we fast forward through it.

The shows aren't really "memories"...they're more of a "take in the moment" type of thing...because you can't capture that on a camera.

That is the point of the OP...that people aren't taking in the full moment anymore, but worrying about trying to put the moment "on paper" to remember later rather than living it. Anyone who can't understand that is trying to troll or be difficult.

You can argue for why you would take pictures/video anyway, or why it's not of his damn business, but he has a point.
Oh, I understood the point, but I do not necessarily agree. As I said before, it is not possible to ever know what others do before and after those snapshot moments that others use to validate their own POV. I never really took pictures and have found out that my kids wished we did have those moments "on paper". I wish I had spent more time getting some of those cherished moments, much the same way that my DD has done. Her scrapbooks that she has created are stunning, and she takes them out for all of us to enjoy.

I think that the OP has a POV, and that it is valid for him. I also think that those if us who do feel that it is no one's business how others choose to enjoy their moment also have a point. The OP used his moment to take a picture of others who he deemed were not "in the moment". He spent his moment judging others who were not mirroring his idea of how to be in the moment. So my question is What exactly was the moment? Was it watching a show? Was it watching others watch a show? Was it taking photos of the show? or Was it taking pics of others taking pics? because clearly the OP was not directing all of his attention to the show.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: