Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #136
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
Because I like reading about people taking pictures of other people taking pictures and believing those other people should not be taking pictures.
I can just picture that.
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #137
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouMickey View Post
I can just picture that.
LOL!!!!!

Seriously, this thread took off in a direction I never thought possible.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #138
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dust View Post
Thanks! ISO 100, f/11, 17 seconds. And a 0.9 (3 stop) neutral density filter.
Thanks!!! I want to start getting into nighttime photography. I think it's beautiful. I have to practice with the longer shutter speeds though.

So yes... I will be behind my lens.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #139
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post
Your telling me! WOW LOL
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2006
Pop Century - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009(Pregnant), 2013(Solo), 2104(Mother & Son Trip)
Fort Wilderness - 2012(Tent Camping), 2013(DS's 1st Trip), 2013
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011
Disney's Fantasy - 2012(Thanksgiving Cruise)

ArielRae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #140
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
I admit I giggled inside when a woman near me dropped and smashed her iPad during the Magic Kingdom fireworks

I now tap the rude on the shoulder and ask them to lower the iPad. I think if that does not work I am considering moving in front of them and waving my arms over my head LOL
I find it comical some of the people who have complained about kids on shoulders don't have a problem with this, lol.

Non obtrusive photography is cool. I don't care if someone livres thru a lens.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #141
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post
LOL!!!!!

hehehe just call me the de-railer! ta tata dah!
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #142
BenbowInn
Mouseketeer

I'm a big picture person, as we're my parents. My husband has only one potential photo of himself as a child, and his parents are not even sure if its of him or his brother.

My parents has albums full of pictures of my brother and I. I love looking through pictures and seeing all the little moments of my childhood. I love looking at pictures of my brother and me and comparing them to my own son. Sadly I can't compare pictures of my DS with pictures of his daddy because the in-laws never took pictures.

I do agree that it is easy to overdo it, but as a whole I think picture taking is wonderful. I have over 15,000 pictures of my DS (5 years old) and if he were to die tomorrow at least I have those little "insignificant" moments captured forever. I make sure to snap pictures all during the day, most of the time he has no idea since I do it quickly and then get back to interacting with him.

You need to remember that most people go to Disney once. Most people don't get to vacation very often so if they want to snap tons of pictures to remember it by, then so be it. Every Disney trip I take less and less photos, but I will never stop completely.

Also remember that when you see someone snap a picture, you are only observing a tiny moment of their lives. Maybe they don't take that many photos overall.

I think it's unfair to say people are not really living or experiencing things because you see one moment of their lives when they took a picture.
BenbowInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #143
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

Quote:
I don't understand how they "miss the whole show" by taking a picture, or a few pictures.

It looks like a musical performance.

I'm not the most coordinated guy in the world, but I CAN listen to the radio and chew gum at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelay View Post
Bragging is very unbecoming.

I'm with with Ode on this one. How about a little humility Bob ...not all of us were born with mad skills brah

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #144
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gadsden View Post
So, you believe that no one in the entire world that goes to WDW should consider putting down their video camera during Wishes and seeing them with their own eyes rather than through pixels on a tiny cell phone screen at least once?

I stand by what I said in that. If you are so narrow minded as to not understand where the guy is coming from, you're being difficult or you're trolling. Because it's a very easy to understand thing. Excluding yourself from the category he's talking about is one thing, and certainly isn't what I'm referring to in what you bolded. He is not talking about taking pictures of your family, or being a photographer and capturing the beauty of the parks. Would that be a reasonable thing to suggest? No, of course it wouldn't. I understand where he's coming from because I'm guilty of it as well. I'm also guilty of texting and surfing the web at the dinner table with my wife when she deserves my full attention. The argument I'm hearing being made here is "But what if you're texting your neighbor to run and lock your house because you forgot to lock the front door!?". If that were the case then of course I should freaking be texting them. That's an unreasonable argument, and trolling the point by definition. The simple fact is I'm checking sports scores that aren't nearly as important as sharing a little bit of time with my wife. That's the same argument being made here, and I just don't understand why some refuse to see the point he is making. It is a point, but it's not an accusation for anyone with a freakin camera in their hands. I think people are trying too har.
On the topic of being difficult, this is very much beginning to feel like the pot calling the kettle black.

Since you asked what I believe, here it is:

I believe that of the millions of people out there filming things on cell phones, the majority of them have the intellectual capability to decide what is right for them at that moment. It is not up to me, you, or the OP to decide what they should be doing differently.
I believe that the biological gift of peripheral vision is a blessing. And as another poster wisely said "I listen to the radio and chew gum at the same time"
I believe that I would rather be looking at a little screen, than at others judging them.
I believe that as long as the person holding the phone is not impacting on another's experience in a disrespectful way (e.g. Holding their screen up in front of my face or filming me intentionally without permission), what they are doing is none of my business.
I believe that texting is a completely different issue.
I believe with all the serious issues in this world, this is not one to stress about.

So I guess because the issue is NOT one I easily understand, I am a troll.

Have a lovely day.

Last edited by WanderlustNZ; 08-29-2013 at 01:59 PM.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #145
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Because I like reading about people taking pictures of other people taking pictures and believing those other people should not be taking pictures.
Bob!! Lol! Always stirring the pot!!! Thanks for the laugh!!!
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #146
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
I find it comical some of the people who have complained about kids on shoulders don't have a problem with this, lol.

Non obtrusive photography is cool. I don't care if someone livres thru a lens.
This is how I feel. Who cares if someone is taking pictures or video of an experience? It's really not up to anyone else to decide what is good for another. HOWEVER, that is only if the person taking the photo or video is not infringing on the rights of others to also enjoy the experience. Taking a pic or video is one thing. Taking flash photos on dark rides or holding your giant IPAD up and blocking the view of others is another.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #147
Donnainnj
Loves having an AP
Has lost about 4 toppers

Just back yesterday from our trip. During the Lion King show I had someone with one of the big I-pads in front on me filming. Drove me nuts, finally I took out my camera and took a picture of exactly what I was seeing, showed it to the guy, and he put the I-pad away.
Donna
Old 08-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #148
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
On the topic of being difficult, this is very much beginning to feel like the pot calling the kettle black.

Since you asked what I believe, here it is:

I believe that of the millions of people out there filming things on cell phones, the majority of them have the intellectual capability to decide what is right for them at that moment. It is not up to me, you, or the OP to decide what they should be doing differently.
I believe that the biological gift of peripheral vision is a blessing. And as another poster wisely said "I listen to the radio and chew gum at the same time"
I believe that I would rather be looking at a little screen, than at others judging them.
I believe that as long as the person holding the phone is not impacting on another's experience in a disrespectful way (e.g. Holding their screen up in front of my face or filming me intentionally without permission), what they are doing is none of my business.
I believe that texting is a completely different issue.
I believe with all the serious issues in this world, this is not one to stress about.

So I guess because the issue is NOT one I easily understand, I am a troll.

Have a lovely day.
So by deciding not to answer my question, I take it that you are as reluctant to acknowledge my points as you are the OP's, and would rather make irrelevant statements aimed at arguments that have yet to be made.

Yes, I believe you're a troll.

Done repeating myself in this thread to posters who refuse to read, nor acknowledge the fact that people other than themselves can make points.

The OP has a point, whether some are offended by it or not. On the other note, people are entitled to do whatever they want with their time and money, and if you're losing sleep over it, you need to loosen up. "Living through a cellphone", I'm guilty of it, a lot of people are guilty of it, and it's what technology has done to society, like it or not.

So moral of this thread, OP, if you make a point about society, count on society to flame the heck out of you for saying it. That's basic logic.

There is no way this should be more than a 3 page thread, and I'm not contributing any longer to it becoming 11.

Opinions ain't facts, people. Take em in and let em go, and stop getting so bent out of shape about it.

Poly- '92, '94,'98, '00, '11, '12,
POR- 10'
AoA- April '13, Dec '13
Pop- Dec '13, Apr '14
CSR- '13
Son of Gadsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #149
RunningWithScissors
Wife, Mom, Alabama Football GradFan

This commercial made me think about this thread. Love it!

http://youtu.be/2vR4LeL0yzE

Sorry, I do not know how to embed it, but it is so worth the watch!!
Old 08-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #150
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW

Love that video thx
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2006
Pop Century - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009(Pregnant), 2013(Solo), 2104(Mother & Son Trip)
Fort Wilderness - 2012(Tent Camping), 2013(DS's 1st Trip), 2013
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011
Disney's Fantasy - 2012(Thanksgiving Cruise)

ArielRae is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: