Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
xbonnie38
Mouseketeer

refrigerators in rooms

Got a letter today in the mail for our upcoming trip stating that there will no longer be refrigerators offered in the resort rooms due to a problem with infestation. So I am gathering there is a roach problem, where they are not coming right out and saying roaches , it only makes sense. I could be wrong and I am sure someone will say otherwise on me , but I know that when we checked into Coronado springs last year and went to take the pillows off our bed a roach ran out from underneath the pillows and it was not a water bug a palmetto bug or a beetle of any kind it was a roach. Now I know Im going to hear well its Florida and you have to expect bugs, and while yes I do agree with this , I certainly do not want to bring them back home to Upstate NY to my home were I do not have a roach problem. Disney was very accommodating and sent someone right to our room ( which we were out on the balcony with our luggage) and they moved us to another building and gave us a card with fifty dollars on it to spend how we liked to. We didnt ask for it we just wanted another room.
So what are your thoughts on the refrigerators being removed from the resort rooms?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
disney is my life
DIS Veteran

The fridges were removed because they were recalled, as they are fire hazards. I believe one fridge caught fire at Disneyland (I may be wrong). There is a thread with more details and I'm sure someone else will post it.

My Photobucket (Disigns, Autograph Book pages & Covers) : http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/di...?sort=9&page=1
Personalized Autograph Book Cover Request Thread: http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/di...?sort=9&page=1

November 2011-All Star Movies
March 2013-POP Century
November 2013-Caribbean Beach Resort
March 2015-???
disney is my life is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbonnie38 View Post
Got a letter today in the mail for our upcoming trip stating that there will no longer be refrigerators offered in the resort rooms due to a problem with infestation.
No. There was a recall of a certain model fridge that is in a majority of the rooms at WDW for a safety issue. They are in the process of removing and replacing the recalled fridges.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbonnie38 View Post
Got a letter today in the mail for our upcoming trip stating that there will no longer be refrigerators offered in the resort rooms due to a problem with infestation. So I am gathering there is a roach problem, where they are not coming right out and saying roaches , it only makes sense. I could be wrong and I am sure someone will say otherwise on me , but I know that when we checked into Coronado springs last year and went to take the pillows off our bed a roach ran out from underneath the pillows and it was not a water bug a palmetto bug or a beetle of any kind it was a roach. Now I know Im going to hear well its Florida and you have to expect bugs, and while yes I do agree with this , I certainly do not want to bring them back home to Upstate NY to my home were I do not have a roach problem. Disney was very accommodating and sent someone right to our room ( which we were out on the balcony with our luggage) and they moved us to another building and gave us a card with fifty dollars on it to spend how we liked to. We didnt ask for it we just wanted another room.
So what are your thoughts on the refrigerators being removed from the resort rooms?
We received "the letter" on Saturday so I suspect it's the same as yours - there is no mention of infestation in my letter.

It reads (the important part)

"If you have stayed with us before, you are most likely familiar with our in room refrigerators. Recently we became aware of an issue that affects two of the refrigerator models in our Guest rooms. As a result, we decided to disconnect the affected in room refrigerators until replacements can be installed"

so they're taking out the possible 'fire prone' fridges and replacing them with 'good' ones. No biggie, no roaches. From what I've read they should be done by the end of September.
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies

Our new favorite thing to do (between Disney trips) is posting DHs photos on foap - he's under guanojoe (how funny is that?!)
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
dhorner233
Disneyophile

Does anyone have a link to a thread that tells us which resorts are done?

I got the letter too I will be staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort 9/24-10/1. I am hoping the letter was just a precaution and they will have replaced the refrigerators by then!

That roach story at the Coronado Springs is something else! I've never heard of roaches in a Disney resort.

dhorner233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
shyjade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhorner233 View Post

That roach story at the Coronado Springs is something else! I've never heard of roaches in a Disney resort.
Roaches, snakes, gators, lizards...it's Florida, they are everywhere. Disney does a great job at reducing them as much as possible, but it does happen unfortunately (this coming from someone who is TERRIFIED of snakes).

shyjade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
rosiep
I don't drink, I try to convert people to nudism!
while it was a beautiful experience it was a slurge
I'm one of those people who need coffee just so I can make coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Morning Dewdrop View Post
We received "the letter" on Saturday so I suspect it's the same as yours - there is no mention of infestation in my letter.

"If you have stayed with us before, you are most likely familiar with our in room refrigerators. Recently we became aware of an issue that affects two of the refrigerator models in our Guest rooms. As a result, we decided to disconnect the affected in room refrigerators until replacements can be installed"

so they're taking out the possible 'fire prone' fridges and replacing them with 'good' ones. No biggie, no roaches. From what I've read they should be done by the end of September.
That's the one I got too...no mention of infestation.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Ok, one thing to remember.. In the south we have Palmetto Bugs.. They look like roaches ( shudder) but are NOT! They are drawn to water.. It's almost impossible to not have them inside sometimes... ( still shuddering)

WDW built on wet lands or whatever so....

An exterminator friend told me once the big roaches or palmetto bugs are NOT signs of nastiness it's the smaller roaches called German roaches that are..

Omg I gotta stop the bug talk I have goose bumps now!! I just wanted to make someone feel better! Lol
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
TACK
Mouseketeer

Unhappy Received letter last Friday

We are staying at All Star Sports so no fridge for us. It's unfortunate since I always have leftovers from my meals so the fridge was handy.
TACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Infestation?

I've seen the fridge letter. It says nothing about infestation.

The fridges are being recalled because an electrical problem made them an apparent fire hazard. There wasn't anything to do with bugs involved.

I bet someone used the wrong form letter. Although I can't imagine why WDW would even HAVE a form letter for guests that mentions infestation.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
grubens
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Morning Dewdrop View Post

This is the letter we received earlier this week. What confused me is that we are staying at BWI beginning Sunday and I had read elsewhere on the Boards that all refrigerators in Deluxe resorts had been replaced. At this point I don't think there is anything I can do but wait to see what is in the room when I get there.
grubens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
chasadchick
chasadchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubens

This is the letter we received earlier this week. What confused me is that we are staying at BWI beginning Sunday and I had read elsewhere on the Boards that all refrigerators in Deluxe resorts had been replaced. At this point I don't think there is anything I can do but wait to see what is in the room when I get there.
I'm also confused. We are staying at the Poly and got them same note. We're crossing our fingers.
chasadchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Call the number on the letter it's automated but will tell you what resorts have fridges right now & Poly is one that does. You'd think Disney would save money by sending out letters to ppl who stay at the resorts who fridges won't be there when they arrive???
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
sswally
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
Call the number on the letter it's automated but will tell you what resorts have fridges right now & Poly is one that does. You'd think Disney would save money by sending out letters to ppl who stay at the resorts who fridges won't be there when they arrive???
Can you post that number?
sswally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
dtstampz
Mouseketeer

(407)827-7760
Pop, All Stars, POR & CBR are still replacing them, according to the recorded message.
Sept. 2013 CSR **May 2014 CSR**

No new trip planned...so sad!
dtstampz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: