Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
kathi
DIS Veteran

Cabana: What are the chances?

Has anyone managed to book a cabana after they were all taken on the first round? I've been told by various folks to "keep checking back" on the DCL site to see if one has opened up, but it really seems rather futile.

Based on the new system where concierge can get in before the 120 days, is it just never going to be an option if they are all taken? (We are platinum and all cabanas were taken at midnight 120 days out).

I've got a house full of disappointed folks and I need to manage their expectations. I personally think they are delusional if they think we are getting a cabana, but I check twice every day. (I'm scratching my head as to what being Platinum is doing for us other than getting on the ship in the first boarding group.)

Kathi
kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Postal68
DIS Veteran

slim to none, but you have to keep checking. Usually your best bet are the 2-3 weeks leading up to the day your cruise leaves. Some people book them just to have them and then decide the expense isn't worth it and release them before they get to the non cancel point

Last edited by Postal68; 08-25-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
mrssmiddy
Mouseketeer

It is possible to get one after the initial booking, but your best bet might be posting in your meet group that you want one. If anyone changes their mind, they might let you know so you can book it at the same time they release it. I'm only silver, and that worked for me. I think it's a bummer that being platinum doesn't give you a better chance of getting a cabana...because some of us really can't afford concierge.

Disney Fantasy 7-Night Western Caribbean - May 2014
Disney Fantasy 7-Night Western Caribbean - October 2013
Disney Dream 5-Night - July 2012
Disney Dream 5-Night - August 2011
mrssmiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
TheHungerJames
Earning My Ears

I had been checking every 2 or 3 days since the 90 day mark for our upcoming cruise and I was shocked last week with just 18 days left to go that one actually came up. It's really frustrating when you keep checking and nothing is available but it can happen! I've also been told you can get on a waiting list at guest services after you board the ship.
TheHungerJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
nicbic97
Mouseketeer

I think it depends on when you cruise. We are sailing on the Nov 10 magic and I am only a silver cc member but there were 3 cabanas available when I went to check in! Good luck

5/15/99-18th b-day visit to MK, 9/28/12-MNSSHP, 9/29/12-10/6/12-Fantasy Western, 5/12/13-5/16/13-Dream 4 day Bahamaian, 11/10/13-11/15/13-Magic 5 day Western, 12/30/13-1/3/14-ASMo, 6/2/14-6/9/14-Alaskan Wonder
nicbic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
WallaceFamily
Some faith, trust and pixie dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicbic97
I think it depends on when you cruise. We are sailing on the Nov 10 magic and I am only a silver cc member but there were 3 cabanas available when I went to check in! Good luck
And which ship you are on. The smaller boats with less competition, perhaps you will get a better chance. And finger crossing helps too. And saying "please, please, please" when you log on each time.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
bucky1023
DIS Veteran

I just got back about three weeks ago and checked every day until my trip (this was my second cruise).

About a week or so before we sailed one became available, but it was on Serenity and since we had children traveling with us we couldn't take it... it does happen but not very often.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!!
Old 08-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
SpectroMagic*o*
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Where are the cabanas located and how much do they cost?

SpectroMagic*o* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
mhconley
Califloridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
slim to none, but you have to keep checking. Usually your best bet are the 2-3 weeks leading up to the day your cruise leaves. Some people book them just to have them and then decide the expense isn't worth it and release them before they get to the non cancel point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHungerJames View Post
I had been checking every 2 or 3 days since the 90 day mark for our upcoming cruise and I was shocked last week with just 18 days left to go that one actually came up. It's really frustrating when you keep checking and nothing is available but it can happen! I've also been told you can get on a waiting list at guest services after you board the ship.
Good to know... I have been checking several times a day. Nothing yet but we're still 48 days out. I'll keep checking.

On a side note a mid-day Swedish Massage for Couples did open up on our first sea day that was not there when I checked in at the 75 day mark. I was pondering it but decided to keep the Couples Choice I had booked instead.

Martin
Walt Disney World off-site: Fall 1972
Polynesian: Fall 1975
Disneyland day trip: Summer 1990
Grand Floridian: September 28 - October 8, 2002
Disneyland day trip: August 24, 2006
Wilderness Lodge: August 23-30, 2008
Disneyland Hotel: September 26 - October 1, 2009
Contemporary: September 17-25, 2011
Pop Century / Wilderness Lodge: December 8-14, 2012
Disneyland Grand Californian: May 28 - June 1, 2013
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean: October 12-19, 2013
Wilderness Lodge: February 21-24, 2014
Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean: June 6-13, 2015 or Polynesian: August 16-26, 2015 (Which one depends upon the size of our tax refund.)
mhconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
zippyzo
Mouseketeer

It's worth checking every day. Someone on our cruise has just got one and we sail in 3 weeks!
zippyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
Callymum
DIS Veteran

We got one on the Cruise last year on the Dream. There were none left on the Family Beach when I checked in as Silver CC. Only one left on Serenity Beach.

I checked every Day and I got one a few weeks in from the Window. I got Number 17.

I then had too Cancel my Cruise and the Cabana etc, as my Dad took ill only 12 days before embarkation day . So the Number 17 was available for someone to book 12 days out. Lesson of the day is that its achievable to get one..
Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
kathi
DIS Veteran

THANK YOU to everyone who posted. We are on the Fantasy at the end of November. This gave me just the encouragement I needed to keep my 2 times a day checking.

Good luck to anyone out there who is also trying!

Kathi
kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
KBelle
Earning My Ears

Yep, someone on our upcoming cruise (Fantasy Sept 7) announced on our FB page that they snagged a cabana a few days ago. They had been checking and checking and poof, it was there.

I got our cabana because I had mentioned on our group page that they were all gone when I tried. We're first time cruisers, so I knew that the chances were slim, but looked anyway. I wasn't whining or anything, just said they were all gone. But to my surprise I got a PM from someone who was offering their cabana to us, because they're sharing with friends. They released it and we were ready to grab it. And since they were nice enough to do that for us (3 of us), we're now paying it forward sharing with a newly wed couple who also asked in the group.

Keep checking the port adventures, and join your cruise group if there is one, and just ask! Good luck!
KBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #14
SpectroMagic*o*
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectroMagic*o* View Post
Where are the cabanas located and how much do they cost?
Reposting my question in hopes someone can answer it??

SpectroMagic*o* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
ocspartan
DIS Veteran

Booked a somewhat last minute on the Dream once, I believe it was ~45 days prior and we were able to book a cabana, there were actually two available if I recall when we went online to check-in, so I think it all depends on luck sometimes..
ocspartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: