Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #16
kiford
Mouseketeer

If we expect to be doing a lot of walking, then we would normally do weights at the gym rather than running or walking on the treadmill. If we had a leisurely day planned (like when we're on a DCL cruise), we would normally do a cardio-type day on a treadmill.

Basically, we do the opposite in the gym of what we would do on the day so as not to overexert doing one activity.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #17
RandFamily
DIS Veteran

I work out, but try to avoid more time on my feet. I'll either do some aqua aerobics in the pool in the afternoon (we always take a break midday) or I do some upper body/core exercises. I get enough of a work out for legs walking the parks.

Congrats on the weight loss! I think working out helps to keep my mental health better too!
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #18
mgsmom
DIS Veteran

Congrats on your weight loss!

Losing weight is not for the weak. For sure. I work out, but depends on the day. If it's a park-hoppin walk from 8am to 10pm day, then no.
Other days, yes. I find that working up a good sweat helps me feel like I'm not turning into a lump

I have found that doing intervals works well (treadmill for a song, weights for a song, etc) while DH enjoys a nice run through the lovely property.

Either way, we all know 10 lbs is easier to gain than lose, so keep it up!

Oh and PS - I have found that working out on arrival day sets me on the right track.

Are we there yet???
2000 CR Garden Wing
2004 All 4 parks in one day

2010 FW Cabin

2011 FW rented 5W

2012 Pop Century

2013 Castaway Cay (Disney Dream)
mgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #19
DisneyFive
Luv'n the magic

I run or lift weights every day, but I don't at Disney.

I reserve my energy for the parks. We average about 8-10 miles walking per day while there. When when you combine that with the heat and humidity of September, I want to use my energy for the parks.

I get back in my regular routine when I get back home. The first few workouts are normally tougher, but it comes back quick.

Dan
DisneyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #20
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyThomas View Post
In real life, I work out every day, but it is honestly difficult fitting it in on these trips. I hope to get a few workouts in on our upcoming Disney trip but not sure it will happen.
In real life DH and I walk. He does 5-6 miles 5 days a week and I do 4-5 miles 3-4 days a week. I just don't see the point in walking more than we already do at WDW. My feet hurt enough after a day in the parks. DH recently lost 25 lbs after a type II diabetes diagnosis. He now doesn't test as diabetic, but is trying to lose a few more pounds. I'm only down 5 in the same time frame. We try to be healthy and get aerobic exercise. We stay at SOG and walk to either the Poly or TTC most days for the bus or monorail.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #21
Maggie7313
Mouseketeer

Congratulations on the weight loss!

I do almost no formal exercise while at WDW. We are zig-zagging crazy park hoppers and the 10+miles we walk every day (78.4 on our seven day December trip) is more than enough for me. I do engage in a very brief (maybe 10 minutes) yoga routine both morning and night. All the standing makes me sore if I don't keep myself limber and stretched out during the trip.

I think the walking helps with the rich foods. I don't worry too much about my eating habits while at WDW and definitely consume lots of stuff I rarely eat while there (particularly sugar). I make sure to drink lots of water, avoid soda, and eat 2 pieces of fruit a day (plus any and all vegetables that appear with my meals). I also usually share appetizers, snacks, and drinks and often have a second appetizer in lieu of an entree at table service restaurants. I do OK digestively as long as I drink the water. And I usually come back from a trip a few pounds lighter.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #22
Jewel3k
Mouseketeer

We did not last time we went. Between all the walking and one of us carrying a child of varying weights throughout the trip, we didn't need it. We ate whatever we wanted for the trip and gained 0 pounds.
Jewel3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #23
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

WooHoo, awesome job on the weight loss. I really only do stretching when on a walking vacation like Disney, plus I swim when I get the chance. I didn't gain weight last time at Disney despite all the snacks and desserts. Too much walking (and occasionally running for FPs - I was the designated pass getter).
Old 08-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #24
Evansvillegirl26
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll try and change it up. Maybe hit the gym one or twice but make an effort to get in the pool everyday too and not just float lol. We are getting back on December 21 right before Christmas! So I'm stacking the deck this year with eating bad! I alaways get right back on the wagon after my trips!
Evansvillegirl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #25
Raz4back
Earning My Ears

I do a lot of strength training, but I don't lift when I'm on vacation. With high intensity training it's good for your overall health to take a week off every 12 weeks or so. Periodically your body needs time to recover. I usually come back from my week long layoffs stronger. Even pro athletes take time off from training now and then.
Raz4back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #26
NorthernBuckeye
Mouseketeer

I take the week off from formal weight training and HIIT. But I am the fast pass runner and try to eat semi-healthy during the week
NorthernBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #27
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansvillegirl26 View Post
Thanks for the replies! I think I'll try and change it up. Maybe hit the gym one or twice but make an effort to get in the pool everyday too and not just float lol. We are getting back on December 21 right before Christmas! So I'm stacking the deck this year with eating bad! I alaways get right back on the wagon after my trips!

Since you are going in dec. the weather wont be hot and humid. I would suggest a real walk around a resort or plan after meals a 30 min. Walk not stroll from one ride to another but a fast paced walk. Esp after a huge evening meal.

Though i am constantly trying to lose a d work out alot at home. But at disney I have never done anything. I also eat probably triple normal calories per day as we are on dining plan. I HAVE NEVER GAINED. !. But kept stable. So I say enjoy yourself and put no pressure on.

Ps. I would love to run the PoR and FQ loop, but befinning sept is just too hot and humid for me!!
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #28
AmMeinOh
Earning My Ears

I haven't in the past, but this trip and I planning on running a few times and will try to hit the gym for weight training once or twice. I do not want to gain any Disney/vacation weight.
AmMeinOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #29
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I almost always run and do try to use the fitness center if I'm staying at a resort with one. I'm often down there for a race so depending on the circumstances and duration of my stay my workout might be a half or full marathon.

I consider the walking at Disney active recovery, not a workout.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #30
Mariannekay
Now, think of the happiest things. It's the same as having wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmMeinOh View Post
I haven't in the past, but this trip and I planning on running a few times and will try to hit the gym for weight training once or twice. I do not want to gain any Disney/vacation weight.
You have the same plan as me. I started a running regime over the summer and jut ran my first 5 k last weekend. Ultimately, I'm training for the Enchanted 10 k and I really really don't want to get out of my routine while on vacation. A few runs and maybe the gym at CSR during my stay will hopefully keep me on track!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: