Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,641

OKW - Not requesting a certain room/area - results?

Hey all,

We are staying at OKW (non DVC) from 11/13-11/20. When I booked the room there was no "near hospitality house" option, but I wasn't really worried because I figured I would never get it anyway since a lot of people want that. I was wondering if I should call and ask just not to be put in the far reaches of the resort as a preference. I'm more the type to get what I get and not get upset, and I'm afraid if I request something and then get it but find something wrong with it, I'll blame myself for requesting it in the first place (yes, I know I'm crazy).

Anyway, my question is, if I don't request anything, am I pretty much guaranteed to be in the farthest corner? I'm assuming DVC members get first pick of the rooms anyway. We stayed in the tree houses at SSR the last time so I probably wouldn't be that bothered by the walk, but I don't want to exhaust my MIL before we even get to the parks and I heard the internal buses don't run that often. What would you do?
__________________
Sheilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess
 
scottmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Western PA
Posts: 3,057

There is one area at OKW that faces a really noisy road....it had buses going up and down it thru the night. We had to get switched the following day. The CM said people from NYC enjoy that area b/c they are use to city noise thru the night. I am not and it really bothered me. So for me that would be a must to avoid.
__________________
ME DH DD DP

scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
zorro77
DVC Member Since 93
 
zorro77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Blaine,Mn.
Posts: 405

When making reservations at OKW we give them building numbers such as 19, 20 or 21 as first requests for our rooms. Most times we at least get area we are looking for. You still have time to call and give then your first and second areas you would like, never hurts.
__________________
zorro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
darkwing818
DIS Veteran
 
darkwing818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 2,697

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro77 View Post
When making reservations at OKW we give them building numbers such as 19, 20 or 21 as first requests for our rooms. Most times we at least get area we are looking for. You still have time to call and give then your first and second areas you would like, never hurts.
Excellent advise....
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 48,258

What size is your room? If it's a 1 or 2 bedroom and you have someone sleeping in the living room, request building 30 or higher because they have a second entrance into the master bathroom. That way someone sleeping in the living room doesn't have to go through the master bedroom to get to the bathroom.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro77 View Post
When making reservations at OKW we give them building numbers such as 19, 20 or 21 as first requests for our rooms. Most times we at least get area we are looking for. You still have time to call and give then your first and second areas you would like, never hurts.
Where would you request? For me (not having ever been to the resort just looking at map) I think we would like 23-28 but I know those are older buildings and I don't know if they have issues. I would love 62 and that area, but I know those are the most requested and I believe the 60's are the only ones with elevators so they are probably saved for people who need them. If my mom was with us I would need an elevator, but we can handle the stairs.
__________________
Sheilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
What size is your room? If it's a 1 or 2 bedroom and you have someone sleeping in the living room, request building 30 or higher because they have a second entrance into the master bathroom. That way someone sleeping in the living room doesn't have to go through the master bedroom to get to the bathroom.
It's a 2 bedroom suite for 7 people. We are going to give the master bedroom to my MIL and FIL so they have some privacy away from our 3 boys. I figured my hubby and I would sleep in one of the queens in the other bedroom and my two youngest (10, 6) would take the other bed. My oldest (13) would take the pull out chair. There are two bathrooms in all the 2 bedroom suites right? So he could just use the other one without bothering my inlaws?

What would you request? I know my boys will want to use the slide at the big pool at least a couple of times and I would like to not be too far away from a bus stop and drink refills.

What would your preference be?
__________________
Sheilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
joxer1014
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Phila., PA
Posts: 404

You could try to request Peninsular Rd. Love that area and close to the house/pool/drinks. We love staying there. You do NOT want Turtle Pond, that is as far away as can be from humanity! We got stuck there once a long time ago before we became wise. For three days we had the section we were in all to ourselves

Good luck!

Last edited by joxer1014; 08-27-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: spelling
joxer1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!
 
Claire&TheBoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 5,807

OP, thanks for starting this thread. I've been wondering whether I should make any requests, also. We rented points to stay there for my birthday, starting 12/31, so I know it'll be busy and I'm afraid we won't really have much of an option. We're staying in a Studio, just me, my husband and our two sons. We don't need a stroller anymore, so it's OK for us to have a higher floor. For those of you who have been there, what would you request? We'll have our car, but we usually like to use the Disney transportation. Since it'll be January, we won't be using the pool so I don't care about close proximity to one.
__________________
Claire Married 17 years to With (12) and (8)

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by joxer1014 View Post
You could try to request Peninsular Rd. Love that area and close to the house/pool/drinks. We love staying there. You do NOT want Turtle Pond, that is as far away as can be from humanity! We got stuck there once a long time ago before we became wise. For three days we had the section we were in all to ourselves

Good luck!
Some people pay big bucks for that kind of privacy
__________________
Sheilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire&TheBoys View Post
OP, thanks for starting this thread. I've been wondering whether I should make any requests, also. We rented points to stay there for my birthday, starting 12/31, so I know it'll be busy and I'm afraid we won't really have much of an option. We're staying in a Studio, just me, my husband and our two sons. We don't need a stroller anymore, so it's OK for us to have a higher floor. For those of you who have been there, what would you request? We'll have our car, but we usually like to use the Disney transportation. Since it'll be January, we won't be using the pool so I don't care about close proximity to one.
Happy birthday to be. I hit the big 40 last year, but without a trip to Disney. Our 15th wedding anniversary will be less than a month before our trip so I am calling it our anniversary trip.

If you don't care about the pool (we would still use it in January - it's heated after all, and we are crazy), you really aren't hemmed in much. Here is a map with the bus stops marked: http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/okwmap.htm Maybe you can just request a room near a stop, although since you will have the car you still have so much freedom. Have a wonderful trip!
__________________
Sheilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
sheh378
Mouseketeer
 
sheh378's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Providence, RI
Posts: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilby View Post
Hey all,

We are staying at OKW (non DVC) from 11/13-11/20. When I booked the room there was no "near hospitality house" option, but I wasn't really worried because I figured I would never get it anyway since a lot of people want that. I was wondering if I should call and ask just not to be put in the far reaches of the resort as a preference. I'm more the type to get what I get and not get upset, and I'm afraid if I request something and then get it but find something wrong with it, I'll blame myself for requesting it in the first place (yes, I know I'm crazy).

Anyway, my question is, if I don't request anything, am I pretty much guaranteed to be in the farthest corner? I'm assuming DVC members get first pick of the rooms anyway. We stayed in the tree houses at SSR the last time so I probably wouldn't be that bothered by the walk, but I don't want to exhaust my MIL before we even get to the parks and I heard the internal buses don't run that often. What would you do?
We are staying at OKW11/12-11/19 we requested a studio near the hospitality house, I'm not sure if we will get it, we booked it at the 7 month mark so hopefully
sheh378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheh378 View Post
We are staying at OKW11/12-11/19 we requested a studio near the hospitality house, I'm not sure if we will get it, we booked it at the 7 month mark so hopefully
Those were our original dates but I shifted them back a day so I would only miss one co-op day (Tuesdays for us). See you there!
__________________
Sheilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 48,258

Buildings 11 to 14 and 23 to 26 are "near hospitality house" for DVC reservations. You have to have that reserved, it's not a request.

My personal favorite is Turtle Pond water view but I always had a rental car. Quiet, nice views.

My least favorite that I've stayed in is building 28, the view is blocked by trees, which makes the room dark.

All busses stop last at the Hospitality House, so you can hop on any bus to get to the pool.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #15
sheh378
Mouseketeer
 
sheh378's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Providence, RI
Posts: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Buildings 11 to 14 and 23 to 26 are "near hospitality house" for DVC reservations. You have to have that reserved, it's not a request.

My personal favorite is Turtle Pond water view but I always had a rental car. Quiet, nice views.

My least favorite that I've stayed in is building 28, the view is blocked by trees, which makes the room dark.

All busses stop last at the Hospitality House, so you can hop on any bus to get to the pool.
I rented the points and on the reservation it says deluxe studio- hospitality house so hopefully that means we will get it
sheh378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.