Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
EALOVE
Earning My Ears

Value Resorts

AoA vs Movies? vs Pop? Have a reservation at Movies currently, but refreshing the search for a AoA Mermaid room for my daughters. Any pros and cons to each? Should I stick with Movies or is AoA really great and better being newer? Room sizes? Location? Amenities?
EALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

The All Stars are showing their age, Pop is starting to need repairs due to age also. AoA's Little Mermaid section has the exact same room as Pop - same size - but newer.

I personally prefer Pop. I like the "feel" of the resort.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Keep your reservation at Movies. Very cute outdoor icons and good bus service. The rooms are the same size in all the resorts you ask about and the amenities are basically the same. The only difference to me is the way the resorts are laid out and the food court/gift shop layout (which is terrible at PopC in my opinion). Movies had a good layout.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
smiths02
DIS Veteran

A pro to the All Stars is that you are much more likely to get a discount than AoA LM room.
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
rteetz
DIS Veteran

I like all of these resorts and I've stayed at all of them except AoA. I will agree with other the all stars are beginning to really show there age they need to do some updating. Although if your looking for the best deal possible those are the hotels that are going to have it. AoA is a it pricey for a value right now we have been looking into it and can stay at the moderates for less just a point. You can still take a disney bus and go and see any of these other hotels we always do to see what's new, especially last year we wanted to see the AoA as it just opened when we were there. I would stick with movies but its your decision.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Dsnyfireman
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at POP and all star sports. We like POP much better. The buses are not stopping at other resorts and you are closer to MK and EPCOT at POP . We like the feel of POP better too, just fits us more. However there is nothing wrong with the all stars. They have some nice pools and some cool themes too. The food courts are all pretty similar in the values, little different options. Rooms seem the same too, just different decor. The one thing I have heard from people on these boards about AoA little mermaid rooms is that they are aways from the food court and buses. More of a walk then some liked. But the resort looks cool. We have found that the all stars over free dining more than the others when we travel in February, that's why we stayed there.
Dsnyfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Funfire240
DIS Veteran

We stayed at AoA LM last September when they first opened and then at All Star Movies for a last minute trip earlier this month.

I liked Movies as we stayed in the Toy Story section so we had a very short walk to the buses and cafeteria. The theming is very cute.
AoA has a longer walk but I liked that there were not shared buses. i also liked the zero entry pool.

Either way, I would return to either resort. As on pp said, at least with ASMo you have a chance at a discount. We lucked out when we stayed in LM last year and had free dining but I haven't seen any discounts for there since.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
tmullane
Earning My Ears

I would keep an eye on refurbishments. Supposedly all star sports in getting a new dining area, which means they are busing guests to both music and movies. Check the refurb section of wdwinfo.com
tmullane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Why does everyone always talk about shared buses at the All Stars as being a big problem? Most of the bus rides you'll take are only from/to your own resort if you are going to the parks in the morning and returning in the evening. I've stayed 3 times in ASMu, 2 times at ASMo, and 1 time at ASSports. I can use less than two hands to count the number of times I've had to share a bus with other resorts during those six trips, and it's always been when I've left a park midday and I was usually one of only about three-eight people on the bus.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Last Fall we did a split stay at Pop / All Star Movies. Both rooms were very similar. The way the resorts operated was very similar. Bus service was about the same. Here's the difference. May be important to OP, maybe not.

Food Court. ASMovies definitely lacking compared to Pop. ASMovies had no espresso coffee - a big No-No for me. Food choices were so-so. Pop had espresso coffee, and lots of enticing food choices.

Gift Shop. ASMovies' gift shop was tiny and lacked a lot of merchandise. Pop gift shop was pretty big and comprehensive. One jacket I saw at Pop, I decided to get later after I checked out. Couldn't find it anywhere in the parks or DTD in the right size. Made a trip back to Pop and there it was, waiting for me. Awesome!

Other. Pop is a short walk across the bridge from AoA. If you stay at Pop, you can change up your meals by crossing the bridge and eating at AoA food court. AoA food selections are unlike those anywhere else.

DD would like Little Mermaid section, but... No Discounts. Far Away from main building.

Conclusion. IMO, POP is the choice for you. Your DD will love Pop, and she'll also love walking around AoA, since it's right there. Also, POP/AoA are on a nice-sized lake. No lakes at All Stars. Pop is less per night than AoA. Case closed.
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
Nohal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
Why does everyone always talk about shared buses at the All Stars as being a big problem? Most of the bus rides you'll take are only from/to your own resort if you are going to the parks in the morning and returning in the evening. I've stayed 3 times in ASMu, 2 times at ASMo, and 1 time at ASSports. I can use less than two hands to count the number of times I've had to share a bus with other resorts during those six trips, and it's always been when I've left a park midday and I was usually one of only about three-eight people on the bus.
I have to agree with you. Everyone seems to make a big deal out of this and what you say is correct. So occasionally if I have to share a bus at the All Stars it is no big deal. I have stayed at the All Stars every year for the last 12 years and it's never been an issue. Even the deluxe resorts share buses. Look at the monorail, how long does it take to get around from resort to resort. CB, CSR, POR, PORFQ how long does it take to get around to all of the stops before you hit a park. Pop buses are always crowded and unless you are at the front of the line you might have to wait for another bus. ASMo was refurbished 2 years ago. I like ASMo the best as it is the smallest so quick walk to the food court and buses and quick walk at the end of the day to my room.

Either one you decide on you can always check out the other while you are there so you know where you would like to be the next timeyou go

1973 Off Site - 1979 Cont - 1990 CBR/Cont - 1991 CBR - 1992 CBR - 1993 POR- 1994 ASSp - 1995 ASSp - 1996 ASMu - 1997 ASMo - 1998 DL/ASSp - 2002 Pop/ASMo - 2003 ASMo- 2004 ASMo - 2005 ASMo -2006 ASMo- 2007 ASSp - 2008 ASMo - 2009 ASMo - 2010 ASMo - 2011 ASMo - 2012 ASMo -2013 ASMo - 2014 ASMo - 2015 ASMo
Nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

The All Stars are very similar to each other except w/ different theming. I like them all!

Pop has a better food court (love the grilled flatbreads) and a lovely walk around the lake--but it also has 1,000 more rooms. I find the chaos and noise at the food court overwhelming at times and I dislike "having" to walk through the gift shop to get to the food court.

I've stayed at each value multiple times (except AoA where once was enough). ASMusic is my favorite for theming and it seems a bit more quiet than the others.

Bus service at WDW can be ANYTHING at ANY TIME for ANY resort. I think the bus sharing at All Stars is WAY overstated. I stay at the AS at least 2-3 times per year and I would guess that we share buses 25% of the time or less. Even when we do, I see no difference in that and a moderate with multiple stops within the resort.

The pools are all basically the same--one main pool and 1-2 smaller "quiet" pools. None have slides or deep ends.

I was at Music in April and Movies just 2 weeks ago. If the AS are showing their age, _I_ sure don't see it... BTW, in 6 days, 5 nights we shared a bus ONCE--and that was to TL.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
AntFarm
Mouseketeer

I don't understand when people say the All Star resorts are showing their age when they are "newer" than the majority of the moderate and deluxe resorts
AntFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

I vote for Movies or AoA. AoA is an awesome resort - new, cool theming, a lot to see. But, Movies is a classic (and cheaper which means more $ to spend on other things). I think it really boils down to what you're looking for!
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
Babsy
DIS Veteran

With a discount, stay at Movies. Great resort for the $$$$, IMO. If no discount then AoA LM. It is newer and the theming is amazing!
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: