Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
pelagoram
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 25

Mickey's Not So Scary But Maybe Kind of Inconvenient Halloween Party

Our family will be spending a few days at Disney World following a cruise next month. Our two park days will be Friday, September 27, and Saturday, September 28. We're longtime Disneyland annual passholders, but this will be our first trip to Orlando. Our kids are 7, 4, and 2.

The two parks that we're interested in visiting on this trip are Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom, and in reviewing Touringplans.com, it looked like the best plan of attack would be Magic Kingdom Friday (Crowd Rating = 1.1) and Animal Kingdom Saturday (Crowd Rating = 1.6) We are big fans of low crowds, so this seemed perfect.

Then came a bit of a wrench in the works - looks like Mickey's Halloween Party is on the Friday we were planning on going to MK. It's my understanding that this means we essentially get kicked out of the park (for which we will have already paid full price - ouch) at 7pm, and have to pay $250 ($60ish each x 4) to get back in (or to stay in). Is that right? Seems a bit unfair, but what do I know. . .

So, the alternative would be to switch our two days, and go to AK on Friday (Crowd Rating 1.5 - about the same as Saturday), and MK on Saturday (Crowd Rating 4, so considerably more busy than Friday)

So - my questions for you smarties are:

How great is the Halloween Party? Worth going to? Worth $250 extra?

How much busier would a Crowd Rating of 4 be than a Crowd Rating of 1? I know Touringplans isn't always the most reliable, but generally speaking, does anyone have a frame of reference for this kind of thing?

Thanks, ahead of time, for any advice on this one.

That was long.
pelagoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!
 
Robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the Magic Mirror, I'm closer than I appear.
Posts: 78,206

MNSSHP are overwhelmingly popular with many posters on this forum.
__________________
.


.

Last edited by Robo; 08-27-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
souris
Mouseketeer
 
souris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 265

I would go to MK on the Friday.. You will get to see so much more in a shorter period than on the Saturday. With good planning you will be able to see all that you wanted. On the Saturday I would go to AK, dine at the Poly, and watch the fireworks from the beach (or dine at Contemporary and watch from there). Having two little ones we rather watch the fireworks from poly then walk to TTC. Much less stressful with little ones!
__________________
WDW
1985, 1989, 1993, 1999(Offsite) 2007(ASSports) 2008(ASMusic) 2009(POFQ) 2010(CBR) 2011( POFQ) 2012(POFQ) 2013(CSR)

Disneyland Paris
1997, 2008
souris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
tony609
"I've Gotta Show To Do"
 
tony609's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 2,150

To OP you seem for lack of a better phrase" turned off already". The disney world MNSSHP operates in the same sense as the DL..it's a special ticket event. BOTH parks remove non ticketed guests. So the "kicking out" part goes for both coasts. Dates have been posted since May. Plus the party usually happens during the same time period every year.

The party is extremely fun if you are into parades, fireworks (exclusive to this party), hard to meet characters, and nearly walk on rides. We are doing the party twice on our upcoming trip. To us it's worth it. It's a great night to people watch and see many creative costumes. Where else can an adult trick,or treat without getting odd looks.
__________________
:
COMING UP: 9/14 Wdw
WDW -Many times growing up can't remember dates, 6/97,4/00,10/03,2/04,4/04,10/04,10/05,4/06,10/06,
9/07,10/08,10/09,9/10,11/10,9/11,9/12, 5/13,5/13,9/13,5/14

DL-5/05, 5/12

COMING UP WDW-5/14, 9/14

FASTPASS+ THREAD
tony609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
POOHsie
DIS Veteran
 
POOHsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheeling, WV
Posts: 4,794

MNSSHP is fabulous and worth every dollar. You can enter the park with your party ticket at 4pm, so lots of time to spend at MK. (Anyone here will confirm 4pm entry. I've done it myself.) Since you can go to the party at 4pm, skip buying a regular park ticket for that day. Or, if you already bought tickets, I would suggest visiting Epcot on Friday during the day, then MNSSHP at MK that evening. Take the monorail from Epcot to MK, kids will love that. There's nothing like Epcot in CA, and it's many visitors' favorite park.
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
smitch425
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 11,631

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOHsie View Post
MNSSHP is fabulous and worth every dollar. You can enter the park with your party ticket at 4pm, so lots of time to spend at MK. (Anyone here will confirm 4pm entry. I've done it myself.) Since you can go to the party at 4pm, skip buying a regular park ticket for that day. Or, if you already bought tickets, I would suggest visiting Epcot on Friday during the day, then MNSSHP at MK that evening. Take the monorail from Epcot to MK, kids will love that. There's nothing like Epcot in CA, and it's many visitors' favorite park.
I agree! Although, I would do AK on Friday morning/early afternoon and then hit MK for MNSSHP at 4pm. If you don't feel you've gotten enough MK time during the party, go back on Saturday, but if you feel you got a lot of rides in during the party (because lines are next to nothing for most of the rides during the party), then spend Saturday at EPCOT, which is an AWESOME park, especially for those ages.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #7
POOHsie
DIS Veteran
 
POOHsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheeling, WV
Posts: 4,794

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
I agree! Although, I would do AK on Friday morning/early afternoon and then hit MK for MNSSHP at 4pm. If you don't feel you've gotten enough MK time during the party, go back on Saturday, but if you feel you got a lot of rides in during the party (because lines are next to nothing for most of the rides during the party), then spend Saturday at EPCOT, which is an AWESOME park, especially for those ages.
You are absolutely RIGHT. What was I thinking? AK closes at 5-ish, so Friday is the day to go there. Great suggestion for OP. Epcot Food&Wine opens that Friday the 27th.
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:00 AM   #8
deakam
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 926

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOHsie View Post
You are absolutely RIGHT. What was I thinking? AK closes at 5-ish, so Friday is the day to go there. Great suggestion for OP. Epcot Food&Wine opens that Friday the 27th.
Opening day of Food and Wine is exactly why we will be attending the Halloween Party on Friday. That and I snagged a last minute reservation for Be Our Guest at 5pm. I love the Halloween Party.
deakam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
amylevan
DIS Veteran
 
amylevan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 874

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagoram View Post
Our family will be spending a few days at Disney World following a cruise next month. Our two park days will be Friday, September 27, and Saturday, September 28. We're longtime Disneyland annual passholders, but this will be our first trip to Orlando. Our kids are 7, 4, and 2.

The two parks that we're interested in visiting on this trip are Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom, and in reviewing Touringplans.com, it looked like the best plan of attack would be Magic Kingdom Friday (Crowd Rating = 1.1) and Animal Kingdom Saturday (Crowd Rating = 1.6) We are big fans of low crowds, so this seemed perfect.

Then came a bit of a wrench in the works - looks like Mickey's Halloween Party is on the Friday we were planning on going to MK. It's my understanding that this means we essentially get kicked out of the park (for which we will have already paid full price - ouch) at 7pm, and have to pay $250 ($60ish each x 4) to get back in (or to stay in). Is that right? Seems a bit unfair, but what do I know. . .

So, the alternative would be to switch our two days, and go to AK on Friday (Crowd Rating 1.5 - about the same as Saturday), and MK on Saturday (Crowd Rating 4, so considerably more busy than Friday)

So - my questions for you smarties are:

How great is the Halloween Party? Worth going to? Worth $250 extra?

How much busier would a Crowd Rating of 4 be than a Crowd Rating of 1? I know Touringplans isn't always the most reliable, but generally speaking, does anyone have a frame of reference for this kind of thing?

Thanks, ahead of time, for any advice on this one.

That was long.
To be honest, I'll go against what most recommended here. With a 4 and 2 yr old, I find it unlikely you'll get your money out of MNSSHP. Yes, you can enter at 4, but when will your kids be done for the night? (Especially if you hit a park all day.)

If it were me, we'd do MK on Friday, since with crowds that low, you are likely to get a lot accomplished. A 7pm closing isn't that early for us, since we usually visit when an 8pm closing is typical. And then on Saturday, I'd hit AK. You will miss Wishes with this plan, but you can always watch from the Poly beach.
__________________
1989, 1994, 1998 - offsite
2001 - All Star Music
2006 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2008 - Fort Wilderness
2010 (x2) - Fort Wilderness
2012 - Fort Wilderness
2014 - Fort Wilderness
amylevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
2girlsmom
DIS Veteran
 
2girlsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tampa area
Posts: 4,464

I love the parties, and we will also be attending this year in October. However, with such young children, I would agree with pp that said it is likely not worth the cost at this point. I would say go to MK till 7, if kids are up for it the poly beach, or Ohana restaurant or Contemporary are all great places to see the fireworks, either night actually, as AK always closes earlier.
__________________
Kristi
me,dh Rick,Meag & Catie

& Lucky
2girlsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
Icecoldpenguin
May the Force Be With You
 
Icecoldpenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,131

I agree with lots of people but that would be pending not having small children. I think MK is more magical at night personally but I also think spending a day in Animal Kingdom then trying to do the party would be too much. I also think the children would not like Epcot that much. So I think your best bet is to go to MK until 7pm then perhaps make a dining reservation at a monorail resort if you can. If not head to the poly grab some food at Captain Cook's and then watch Hallowishes from the beach. It is simply amazing.

Then the next day I would go to Animal Kingdom. Animal Kingdom can be hot though so take plenty of water and stay hydrated.
__________________

TRIPS:
Now a Florida Resident and Visiting as much as possible!
All 5 SWW 2014 Turkey Day '13 VWL, Labor Day '13, May '13/June '13-SWW 1,3 & 4 May '13-Disneyland, Nov '12-Pop, Oct '12 Swan, Jun/Jul '12 Disney World Wedding/Honeymoon, Dec '11 Wilderness Lodge, Oct '11 Poly, June '11-ASMo, June '10 ASMu, 2000 Offsite
Icecoldpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
smitch425
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 11,631

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecoldpenguin View Post
I also think the children would not like Epcot that much.
Do you have any children (your signature doesn't list any)? EPCOT is a great park for young kids. It might help OP if you explain why you advise against going there.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
JanaDee
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,816

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Do you have any children (your signature doesn't list any)? EPCOT is a great park for young kids. It might help OP if you explain why you advise against going there.
Other than Soarin' and Test Track, my kids aren't the least bit interested in Epcot.

If I had kids the same age as OP, I'd skip Epcot or make it a short half day.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #14
Icecoldpenguin
May the Force Be With You
 
Icecoldpenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,131

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Do you have any children (your signature doesn't list any)? EPCOT is a great park for young kids. It might help OP if you explain why you advise against going there.
Ok wow and no I don't have kiddos although I did just get married and I am working on that but that is neither here nor there. I as a kid did not like Epcot very much. I still don't like Epcot very much. Other than for character meet and greets it just feels like a lot of walking with not much pay out. I know there are those that LOVE it but I don't. I think small kids would want to see the animals at AK and maybe even all the fun cool stuff at hollywood studios including Disney Junior and the animation building. But seeing as how the OP goes to CA a lot in the past many of these things can be found at DL or CA.
__________________

TRIPS:
Now a Florida Resident and Visiting as much as possible!
All 5 SWW 2014 Turkey Day '13 VWL, Labor Day '13, May '13/June '13-SWW 1,3 & 4 May '13-Disneyland, Nov '12-Pop, Oct '12 Swan, Jun/Jul '12 Disney World Wedding/Honeymoon, Dec '11 Wilderness Lodge, Oct '11 Poly, June '11-ASMo, June '10 ASMu, 2000 Offsite
Icecoldpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #15
JanaDee
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,816

OP, I understand your frustration with the parties at MK. Five of our seven nights has a party at MK.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.