Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #16
DisneyHardin
DIS Veteran

I would really miss my camera, but then again, I look at my Disney pics on the computer all the time. Last year we just took our little pocket camera instead of the big one. We missed the quality pictures and will take it this year.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I always have a camera on me :P
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #18
katt789
DIS Veteran

Went down in June for an audition, with no plans to go into the parks at all, meaning my cell phone would have been good enough. Well, we ended up in the parks and I seriously regret not having my camera, even though it was just one day.

Having also gone bagless in the parks, and thus, without a camera, I do regret it. I like even just having a little point and shoot to grab some pictures with. Sometimes the photopass doesn't turn out great or something else.

That being said I totally get the "always behind the camera" vs living the vacation, and I'm trying a lot more to enjoy everything and not be worried about taking a million pictures.

I would definitely bring the camera with you, and maybe leave it in the hotel for the first day just to see how it feels?

Instagram:Katt789
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #19
Dislover1991
DIS Veteran

I took my camera last year and ended up taking over 700 photos. While that is ALOT, it was also our first trip to Disney in 12 years and it was during the Flower & Garden Festival so I went overboard with photos!

This year, I believe we're doing the Photopass+ option. I'm still bringing my camera, but that's because it'll be decorated for Christmas.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #20
Aljo
Mouseketeer

I just finished going through 2,500 photos, narrowed them down to 790, made a slideshow and also added Disney music to it. Everyone that has seen it loves it. I do want to have some developed but will narrow that down even further.
Aljo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #21
DisneyFive
Luv'n the magic

That's a tough one. I could not go cameraless. (Is that a word? )

You see, those photos are captured moments in time that I want to be able to look back on. Our kids are only this age once. I CHERISH the video we have from each of the last three years. I've truly enjoyed editing each year down to a short video (15 minutes or so). It's a great way to remember each visit.

The difficulty comes in balancing the good and the bad of photos/video. I could never lug around a full size DSLR camera or large camcorder. I wear cargo shorts and keep a small Canon Elph camera in one side pocket, and a small HD camcorder in the other. They are both ready when needed. I don't like watching things happen through a screen, but on the flipside, I would be VERY bummed not to have the photos and video that I have now.

Each year, less photos and video are taken. Kind of the, been there, done that, sort of thing. But there are always those organic magical moments that happen each year that are unique and special, and I don't want to miss them. I do NOT take a lot of photos and video, but I do try to capture just enough of the critical moments so that I can recall them later.

Dan
POP, September 2011, 9 days Very Fun, Hot!
POP, September 2010, 8 days Magical!!!
DisneyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #22
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislover1991 View Post
I took my camera last year and ended up taking over 700 photos. While that is ALOT, it was also our first trip to Disney in 12 years and it was during the Flower & Garden Festival so I went overboard with photos!

This year, I believe we're doing the Photopass+ option. I'm still bringing my camera, but that's because it'll be decorated for Christmas.
LOL.....700 photos on a Disney trip isn't a lot I've taken that in a day.

To the OP, Honestly I could NEVER go to the parks without my camera but photography is my hobby and I would go crazy if I couldn't take pics. We have a lot of fun taking pics but also have it down to a science so it doesn't take any time at all.

I never get them developed into prints but make photo books every year and put the best ones in there. I also like to look at all the old Disney pics on my computer to remember all the vacations. Priceless memories and I can't imagine not having them.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #23
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljo View Post
I just finished going through 2,500 photos, narrowed them down to 790, made a slideshow and also added Disney music to it. Everyone that has seen it loves it. I do want to have some developed but will narrow that down even further.
How long does it take to go through 790 slides??? Yikes!

I take a few shots with my cellphone, and that's it. We've been multiple times, and when the kids were little I took photos of them together, with the characters, etc. Now DD19 is my Disney buddy, we got in 3 trips together this year, and I only took about 20 photos between those 3 trips. Brought my camera on the last trip, used it one day, got sick of lugging it around and worrying about it getting wet, left it back in the room for the rest of the trip.

I guess if it's your only trip, or the kids are still in the cute phase, then I see taking a ton of photos, but other than that? I really don't need a record of how much weight hubby has gained, or how many more wrinkles I have now...
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #24
JaymeC
Mouseketeer

It depends on you. Like others have said, I love taking photos as a hobby. When we get home I'll spend the new few months editing them and putting them into a book that the kids then pull out regularly to look at. So our pictures really get used. I don't take too many 'iconic' photos, but the ones that are high value to me are the 'random' ones like the first time we found Aladdin's lamp in DL, or the pictures on Tom Sawyer Island. I would be miserable if I didn't have a camera in those instances... so I tote around the DSLR.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #25
CTDisneyfan816
DIS Veteran

The past few years I've used my Iphone as my camera. The camera on the phone to me is the same as a regular camera and it means one less thing to have to carry around.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #26
White_Sox_Fan
DIS Veteran

On our last trip a couple of weeks ago I went one night without my camera and just took the point & shoot. As it was evening in the MK i felt I missed a lot of opportunities for some good shots that you just can't get with a P & S.

I will say that hauling the camera got a lot easier after I bought a Rapidstrap. It screws into the tripod mount and I just sling it over my shoulder with the camera hanging at the end. The only bad thing is the camera is just about head height for a lot of the kids and I get a few heads banging off the camera when they are not paying attention (which is frequently).

Personally I can't travel a whole trip without it, I can always find something new to shoot. This year I got a new wide angle lens so I played with it.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #27
verleniahall
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_sox_fan View Post
on our last trip a couple of weeks ago i went one night without my camera and just took the point & shoot. As it was evening in the mk i felt i missed a lot of opportunities for some good shots that you just can't get with a p & s.

I will say that hauling the camera got a lot easier after i bought a rapidstrap. It screws into the tripod mount and i just sling it over my shoulder with the camera hanging at the end. The only bad thing is the camera is just about head height for a lot of the kids and i get a few heads banging off the camera when they are not paying attention (which is frequently).

Personally i can't travel a whole trip without it, i can always find something new to shoot. This year i got a new wide angle lens so i played with it.

what an amazing shot!

Lena
verleniahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #28
flywithhope
Earning My Ears

I also could not go camera-less. Photography makes me happy/brings me joy. The last few years, I have had both my DSLR and my mini-camcorder in my lap. I can take thousands of shots in a 10 day vacation....which are edited significantly down in # once I get home. I often take several shots to make sure I get the one I like.

I love to photograph things that I otherwise wouldn't if I weren't seated or signs with words or the bars in the turnstiles (old Test Track bars were my favorite with blue & yellow & silver) that are a metaphor for my limitations or the fire during Illuminations that makes me feel joyful/free. On days I'm stuck in the hotel b/c I'm too unwell to go to the parks/meals that day, I photograph the details of the room. Wilderness Lodge Villas was the best for that.

Photography for me is an expression of myself and part of the enjoyment of living through a WDW vacation or through life. (Thankfully I have a patient husband!) That's why I feel that if bring a camera is something that makes you feel like it is hindering your enjoyment of living through your vaca, don't stress and leave the camera at home/hotel! Do what makes you happiest.

White Sox Fan, the photo you posted is fabulous! Thanks for sharing it!
WDW- 1983, 1987-Polynesian, 1990 (surprise), 1993 (my birthday), 2002; 7/2006 (Honeymoon ) Polynesian; 5/2010-Yacht Club CL; 8/2011-Wilderness Lodge Villas; 8-9/2012-Polynesian; 9/2013-Beach Club (Celebrated husband's life )
flywithhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #29
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

I, personally, won't go without my camera gear, but I could absolutely see how someone would, and agree that iPhone camera technology has improved considerably.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #30
pooch
I feel so special now!!

family refuses

to pose, no one wants to see the pictures once we get home (except DGS 3 who watches the slideshow on my computer). No cameras for me. Glad not to have the responsibility of memorializing the trip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: