Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Full Rights to Indiana Jones & Future Movies

Interesting article about Disney's acquisition of future movie rights as well as full distribution and marketing rights to Indiana Jones. If this includes toys and all I wonder what it might mean for the parks.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/12/0...indiana-jones/

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

I soooo want more Indiana Jones movies, with Harrison Ford.

Do some flashbacks for the next two movies with a younger actor, then after that give the whole movie to the new younger actor for movies 7-9 !
jamarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamarmiller View Post
I soooo want more Indiana Jones movies, with Harrison Ford.

Do some flashbacks for the next two movies with a younger actor, then after that give the whole movie to the new younger actor for movies 7-9 !
Excellent idea. Harrison Ford can tell the tale of younger exploits, but not as far back as The Young Indiana Jones.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
Excellent idea. Harrison Ford can tell the tale of younger exploits, but not as far back as The Young Indiana Jones.
yeah, and have it connected to the present where he is still the Main version of Jones we see with the most screen time in the actual movies

But then have it completely or mostly the new guy in movies 7-9

This would get the audience used to the idea of another actor playing jones in the best way possible I think
Old 12-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

As for the parks, I don't believe the deal means anything. Disney already owned the production rights through its acquisition of Lucasfilm, and already had theme park rights before then.

This deal is just buying back the marketing and distribution rights of future films. Paramount didn't have theme park rights.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:21 AM   #6
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

Excited for the possibilities that Disney can do with it!
Old 12-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
Fantaluminishes
To all who come to this happy place, welcome!

Or... Disney will do nothing at the parks. Why souls they. There's so much other content out there to choose from. The Indy ride at DLR is almost 20 years old, and they have only used that technology for Dinosaur at DAK. The ride at DLR Paris opened in '93. It hasn't been duplicated either.

With all of the other projects either being rumored (here), or planned by Disney, I don't see any new Indy attractions in the parks for a very long time, if ever.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

my favorite ride here in Japan at Tokyo disney Seas is the Indy Jones ride. I sooo would love seeing it in florida too.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantaluminishes View Post
Or... Disney will do nothing at the parks. Why souls they. There's so much other content out there to choose from. The Indy ride at DLR is almost 20 years old, and they have only used that technology for Dinosaur at DAK. The ride at DLR Paris opened in '93. It hasn't been duplicated either.

With all of the other projects either being rumored (here), or planned by Disney, I don't see any new Indy attractions in the parks for a very long time, if ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
As for the parks, I don't believe the deal means anything. Disney already owned the production rights through its acquisition of Lucasfilm, and already had theme park rights before then.

This deal is just buying back the marketing and distribution rights of future films. Paramount didn't have theme park rights.
According to the articles I have read, Disney didn't want to do anything else with Indy because Paramount owned the distribution rights - they may have gained ownership of the IP when they bought Star Wars, but they couldn't make full use (video games, toys, theme park attractions) as long as they were basically promoting a Paramount movie. Now that they own the whole enchilada, there's much more reason to develop all the other stuff - including theme park attractions.

And I can see several reasons why they ought to duplicate the Indiana Jones ride at WDW:

1) It's an awesome ride.

2) Yes, the technology already exists at WDW in the Dinosaur ride, but that's a totally different ride. There are lots of rides at WDW that have similar ride vehicles, but the experience is what matters.

3) There's already an Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular at DHS, but some rumors state that it will be demolished as part of the Star Wars expansion anyway. Or, Disney could tie those together into an "Indy Land".

3) The ride is indoors, which suits Orlando weather very well.

4) The waiting area (at least at the DL version) is enormous, and either covered or indoors as well. This also suits Orlando very well. It also suits the new FP+ strategy that Disney appears to be going for - allowing for certain headliner attractions to build up enormous lines, but keeping guests entertained while in line. Indy does that very well, and could be absolutely brilliant with a more interactive queue.

5) Yes, Avatar and Star Wars will keep Disney busy for a long time. But at some point, Disney is going to make new Indiana Jones movies - that's the whole point of buying the rights from Paramount (who will keep distribution rights to the old movies). If they make new movies and they are successful, it's very easy to imagine a new attraction based on the new movies rather than the old Harrison Ford ones. Same ride, minimal development costs, an extensive, interactive queue area, but featuring new (and popular) actors. If the new Disney Indy movies are a success, there's no reason not to.
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Good points in general...but with the other rumor that EVERYTHING has been put on hold in the parks until they get recoup the money on the very-behind-schedule MM+, it's got a ways to go to bubble up on the list.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #11
Fantaluminishes
To all who come to this happy place, welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
The waiting area (at least at the DL version) is enormous, and either covered or indoors as well. This also suits Orlando very well. It also suits the new FP+ strategy that Disney appears to be going for - allowing for certain headliner attractions to build up enormous lines, but keeping guests entertained while in line. Indy does that very well, and could be absolutely brilliant with a more interactive queue.
The queue at DL is that because the ride building is outside of the park. The walk takes guests away from Adventureland, and under the train tracks. It's an entertaining queue that serves an important purpose.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #12
super mike b
DIS Veteran

I think an Indiana Jones section at the Animal Kingdom would have been cool. Maybe several rides tied together to complete one adventure. I sure would have liked that over Avatar!
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: