Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
shyjade
DIS Veteran

Check-in to Pop, then Epcot

Not sure where to post this...

I just realized Epcot is open till 10pm the night we arrive at Pop. Our plane lands a 7:30 and we will take ME to Pop. We have already done online check-in.

Considering rushing over to Epcot to catch Illuminations (have never seen before) with FP+ (already reserved). Do you think it can be done or should we not even bother? It's just DD15 and I, so no little ones to slow us down.

In the past we've arrived to the parks around 2 hours after landing (with taking ME and stopping at the resort to check in first), but we have always arrived late morning and this time we arrive at night, so not sure what to expect for timing.

If we try it, should we grab a taxi outside of Pop to get there quicker and if so, are there taxis standing outside of Pop that time of night (8:30-9pm)?

What would you do?

shyjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
purpledisneyprncess
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure I would use a park ticket just to go see Illuminations. Illuminations starts at 9 right? Assuming your plane doesn't get delayed, you still might be cutting it short with time. I'm not sure if there are taxis in front of Pop. I would call Pop and see if they have a list/name of Taxi companies that they recommend and then call the taxi co. when you are on your way to Pop.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
shyjade
DIS Veteran

It actually starts at 10pm that night, which is the only reason I'm considering it.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
purpledisneyprncess
DIS Veteran

Oh, okay I'm sorry didn't realize they had a 10pm Illuminations. Maybe it will work. For me, I wouldn't want to be rushing around like that but I'm sure there are others that do it and it's fine.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
shyjade
DIS Veteran

We get excited when we arrive and like to dive head-first into the parks. We also have trouble with "downtime" during our trips!

Old 08-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
standleyent1
Mouseketeer

There should be taxis in front of POP but the buses will be running as well, and if your early enough just take the bus.
standleyent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
AuroraRora
Princess

If you've already done online check-in, I would get off the DME and jump straight into a cab and not even set foot into any Pop buildings until I got back from Epcot. Based on how quickly a bus came, you might be quicker with that than a cab though - personally I've never seen cabs outside Pop and when I've taken cabs from both AKL and Poly, we had to have a CM call for one.

You could always take a cab directly from the airport which would be far faster and I believe your luggage would still be delivered fine, although obviously it'd be a more expensive journey.
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
curlz2tite
Mouseketeer

Not the same , but you can see some of the Epcot fire works from the back corner of POP. When we land late we head to DTD to start out Disney magic. Have a great trip
3 trips during the 1990's with DH & DD, ,
2005 at ASMO
2006 at POP,

2007 20th wedding anniversary at POP

Dec 2-11, 2008 trip at POP

Halloween Oct 24-Nov2 2010 Oct24 -Nov 4 2011
curlz2tite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
DisneyWisher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by standleyent1 View Post
There should be taxis in front of POP but the buses will be running as well, and if your early enough just take the bus.
If you chose to take a cab take it to Boardwalk and walk to Epcot. It's not even a 5 min walk plus I read once where a taxi was charged to park when entering Epcot and the price was then passed on to the customer. You'll enter Epcot through the International Gateway (between France and England). It's a shorter walk than from Epcot's parking lot.
DisneyWisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWisher View Post
If you chose to take a cab take it to Boardwalk and walk to Epcot. It's not even a 5 min walk plus I read once where a taxi was charged to park when entering Epcot and the price was then passed on to the customer. You'll enter Epcot through the International Gateway (between France and England). It's a shorter walk than from Epcot's parking lot.
THIS!! Yes, take a cab to BWI and walk through International Gateway to EP. Then you don't have to walk all the way through FW!
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
shyjade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWisher

Good to know! The FP+ viewing area for Illuminations is by the bridge, so this will be perfect. Thanks!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
Patrickiii
Earning My Ears

Why not just take ME bus from airport right to Beach club . It would be faster yet
Patrickiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickiii View Post
Why not just take ME bus from airport right to Beach club . It would be faster yet
Can't do that. You have to take the DME bus to your resort that you are staying at.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

Magical Express can be hit or miss. I personally would not count on it. But it would be a pleasant surprise if I arrived in time to make it to Illuminations. The fastest I've ever made it to Pop using ME it was an hour after the plane landed. I've had it take as long as 2 to 2.5 hours to arrive to the resort after plane landing time. Then add the time it takes to get from Pop to Epcot.

This will greatly depend on how busy they are. Sometimes you sit on a ME bus waiting for other people to show up and fill the bus before it will leave the airport. If they are busy you might wait 30 - 40 minutes in line before getting on the ME bus. So many unknown factors.

You probably won't make it to Illuminations on time but I won't say that its impossible.
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
catra121
DIS Veteran

I would do it this way:

If you get to Pop by 8:30...then go to Epcot for Illuminations.

If you get there later than 8:30...skip it and do something else.

It would be great if you could make it but I wouldn't stress too much over it. If it happens, then it happens. If not...it's not a big deal. I've set up a similar plan on my trip with my cousin in September. I'm spending the day at Epcot the day he flies in (his first time to Disney). I would love his first experience at Disney World to be a fireworks show...but his flight gets in at 6:30. So...I will meet him at the resort and IF he gets there by 7:30 we will go to Epcot and if not then we go to DTD. I think DTD is the more likely options...but it's Disney and sometimes the stars align and some pixie dust gets sprinkled your way and magical things can happen.

Stayed at: AOA Lion King Suite, Bonnet Creek , POP Century, Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, and The Dolphin (when I was really young)

Next Stay: Caribbean Beach Resort September 2014
catra121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: