Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Haygar2
Mouseketeer

My child's stuffed animal.

I read, on here somewhere, that someone lost their child's "sleeping buddy". They had left it in the bed and when Mousekeeping changed the sheets it was wrapped up in the sheets and **poof** it was gone. My son sleeps with a very specific stuffed animal and we don't have another one. Even if I could find one, he would know the difference. Should I put it in our suitcase? Has anyone else lost something this way?
Old 08-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
AndreaA
Mouseketeer

I have not lost anything that way, but my boys are similarly attached to their animals. Last year they were in pack-n-plays so I didn't worry about it, but this year I will be gathering animals and storing them away every morning. Not worth the tears if something were to happen.

Wilderness Lodge - Oct.2012
Villas @ WL - Sept.2013

AndreaA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Haygar2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaA
I have not lost anything that way, but my boys are similarly attached to their animals. Last year they were in pack-n-plays so I didn't worry about it, but this year I will be gathering animals and storing them away every morning. Not worth the tears if something were to happen.
Oh the horror if something were to happen. I don't even want to think about it.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
dipastor
Mouseketeer

We have never lost anything in the room with regard to children's stuffies, etc. Every time we go I pack an extra soft blanket and soft animal for each of my children (3). Before we leave the room for the day, I fold up their blankets and stack them on the dresser. I take their stuffed animals also off the bed and put with the blankets. That way mousekeeping can make the beds freely without worrying about any personal items. You should be fine if you take personal items and put them away for the day.
Hope that helps.
d
dipastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haygar2 View Post
I read, on here somewhere, that someone lost their child's "sleeping buddy". They had left it in the bed and when Mousekeeping changed the sheets it was wrapped up in the sheets and **poof** it was gone. My son sleeps with a very specific stuffed animal and we don't have another one. Even if I could find one, he would know the difference. Should I put it in our suitcase? Has anyone else lost something this way?
We lost my daughter's "pink blankie" at an airport hotel before a trip to WDW when she was little. It was very traumatic for everyone concerned. After that we made sure that everything was out of the bed and onto the chair before we left a hotel room. You don't need to put your son's lovey in a suitcase, just make sure it's not on the bed where it can be accidentally scooped up.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
TXPyroMom
Mouseketeer

We don't allow our DD to take her special lovey, 'bearbear', on vacation. We tell her that bearbear is too important and we don't want to lose him.

We tell her that on the first day of vacation, she can pick out a special stuffed animal to sleep with. We do this on all our trips, not just Disney, and she has done well with it. I think one time we had to buy 2 stuffed animals for her to make it thru the week, but it was a small price to pay to know that bearbear was still safe at home. Good luck!
Old 08-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If it is that important, keep it with you, put it in the suitcase when you leave the room, or make up some ritual that the animal is properly stored each day, maybe in its own drawer (but then you run the risk of forgetting it so the suitcase might be bettter).
Old 08-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haygar2 View Post

It would seem the easiest thing to do is as you suggested, just put it in a suitcase or a bag each morning, problem solved!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPyroMom View Post
We don't allow our DD to take her special lovey, 'bearbear', on vacation. We tell her that bearbear is too important and we don't want to lose him.

We tell her that on the first day of vacation, she can pick out a special stuffed animal to sleep with. We do this on all our trips, not just Disney, and she has done well with it. I think one time we had to buy 2 stuffed animals for her to make it thru the week, but it was a small price to pay to know that bearbear was still safe at home. Good luck!
This. The precious ones never leave the house. We always travel with their next choice. One time, DH packed for our cruise, and he brought the precious ones, and I practically screamed "who let Hippopottomy out of the house?" when I saw him in the luggage. Luckily we stayed in a hotel the night before the cruise, and we left Hippopottomy and Soft Bear in the car and brought backups on the ship.

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
TIGGER1981
Mouseketeer

A coworker's son has a stuffed dog that he once lost (not at disney) and they luckily found it! They went and made a dog tag with their cell number on it in case it ever gets lost. Maybe for your trip you can do something similar? just in case...
Old 08-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

It's not something you'd need to worry about, as long as you take it out of the bed in the morning.

I'd never assume that a hotel housekeeper is going to comb through the bedding to look for personal belongings. Yeah, it'd be nice if they did, but when people are focusing on getting the job done, and they're running late because the last room they cleaned was a disaster area, and they've still got a bunch of rooms to do, they're going to miss the niceties like looking for the guest's reading glasses and books and stuffed bears.
Lynne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #12
JustCallMeMommy
DIS Veteran

When Alison was the age to have a must-have animal (doll in her case), we wouldn't have survived vacation without Dolly. Leaving her behind wasn't an option.

You'll really be fine a long as you don't leave stuffed animals wrapped up in the sheets. If you leave the animals sitting out, you'll probably find them arranged on the bed when you get back to the room. We always enjoy going back to the room to see how the animals have been set up that day.

JustCallMeMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
troll buster
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb
We lost my daughter's "pink blankie" at an airport hotel before a trip to WDW when she was little. It was very traumatic for everyone concerned. After that we made sure that everything was out of the bed and onto the chair before we left a hotel room. You don't need to put your son's lovey in a suitcase, just make sure it's not on the bed where it can be accidentally scooped up.
Same thing happened with my sons blanket! Luckly the hotel found it and mailed it to us free of charge!
troll buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #14
dwfanatic
DIS Veteran
Proud mommy of a new Disney "souvenir"!

When we stayed at resorts, I would always put DS's blanket in the drawer in the morning, just in case. Once I distinctly remember once that I forgot to do this, and was a little stressed during the day, but luckily it was still there when we got back. But I definitely second putting it in a drawer. Cell phone dog tag sounds good for stuffed animals, too!
WDW Oct 1998 (off property), May 1999 (ASMo), May 2000(ASMo), May 2001(off property & CSR), August 2001 (ASSp), July 2002 (Off property), December 2002 (ASSp), January 2004 (POP- Cole's first trip!), August 2004 (off property and AK), March/April 2005 (POP), August 2008 (off property and BC), August 2011 (off property), August 2013 (off property) May 2014- Cruising on The Magic- adults only August 2015- B2B cruise on The Dream...with the kiddos Disneyland-- too many times to count!
dwfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
TXPyroMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyjen27 View Post
This. The precious ones never leave the house. We always travel with their next choice. One time, DH packed for our cruise, and he brought the precious ones, and I practically screamed "who let Hippopottomy out of the house?" when I saw him in the luggage. Luckily we stayed in a hotel the night before the cruise, and we left Hippopottomy and Soft Bear in the car and brought backups on the ship.
This sounds exactly like how I would have reacted... fortunately/unfortunately my husband doesn't pack for DD, so this would never happen

Looks like y'all will be arriving right after us, we stayed at the Contemporary our first visit and we loved it there! Are you on the December Disers FB page?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: