Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
minniemouse803
Earning My Ears

Drink at Victoria & Albert's

My husband and I ate at Victoria & Albert's a few weeks ago on our honeymoon. I ordered an amaretto sweet and sour as my drink. It was the BEST amaretto sweet and sour I have ever had. This is my usual drink wherever we go and nothing compared to this one. Lol! I don't know if they used better quality liquor or what but wow! Anyways, would this be exclusive to V&A or if I went to another bar at the GF and ordered the same drink would it be the same? I just didn't know if they have their own exclusive bar or anything? I want another one when we go next time but we aren't going to eat at V&A's again (as much as I would love to!)
minniemouse803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Haven't been to V&A, but an Amaretto Sour is a pretty standard bar drink.
While V&A would use top ingredients, amaretto is amaretto, they may have some ingredients to customize it. Sounds like this calls for some research!
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
mininewman
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micca View Post
Haven't been to V&A, but an Amaretto Sour is a pretty standard bar drink.
While V&A would use top ingredients, amaretto is amaretto, they may have some ingredients to customize it. Sounds like this calls for some research!
Just to clarify Amaretto sweet and sour, aka Amaretto stone sour, and Amaretto sour are different drinks (the former is 1/2 OJ 1/2 sour, the latter is just sour [this is further confusing as sour mix is also called sweet and sour mix, yet for some reason saying the full name of the mix gets you OJ as well? I don't know why!]). And it is incredibly likely that V&A uses both a home made sour mix and fresh squeezed orange juice. I have no idea if anywhere else on property would make the same calibre of drink, but if you are at home do this:

Combine 1 cup sugar with 1 cup hot water, mixing until super saturated.
Add in 1 cup of fresh lime juice and 1 cup of fresh lemon juice (seriously squeeze them yourself if you want to mimic what a top end bar would do)
Mix well and let cool

Combine 1.5oz Disaronno Amaretto with 2 oz of the aforementioned drink and 2 oz of fresh squeezed OJ. Garnish with a cherry if you like. (Personally I would do 2/2/2, but then the almond comes out a little stronger, tailor it to personal taste)
mininewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Try calling 407-WDW-DVNA (939-3862) which is a special number for V&A. Talk to the person there and they should be able to arrange to have the specific recipe sent to you.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininewman View Post
Just to clarify Amaretto sweet and sour, aka Amaretto stone sour, and Amaretto sour are different drinks (the former is 1/2 OJ 1/2 sour, the latter is just sour [this is further confusing as sour mix is also called sweet and sour mix, yet for some reason saying the full name of the mix gets you OJ as well? I don't know why!]). And it is incredibly likely that V&A uses both a home made sour mix and fresh squeezed orange juice.
I was just going to ask what the difference was. I've never heard of an amaretto sweet and sour. I also have always assumed that people who say "sweet and sour mix" instead of sour mix just didn't know what they were talking about. When I make sour mix, I do include a small amount of orange juice.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: June 2015 - Disneyland
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
minniemouse803
Earning My Ears

Thanks! I have heard so many different names....amaretto sweet and sour, amaretto sour, amaretto stone sour. I said amaretto stone sour and the waiter brought it to the table saying "here is your amaretto sweet and sour" so I wasn't sure of the correct term! My husband also thought they used fresh squeezed oranges! I will try that recipe and if that isn't it I will call the number. Thanks so much!
minniemouse803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

V & A likely makes their own sour mix. There is a distinct taste difference.

The bars inside Swan & Dolphin are known for using only fresh and homemade ingredients.

If you enjoyed V & A, the food at blueZoo (in the Dolphin) is tops on my list for a typical Disney vacation.

Fortunately, I will be returning to V & A in a few weeks.

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Kouzinna (3.5* dinner; 4* breakfast), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0*), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (1*)

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2015?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2015?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #8
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Actually V&A has no "bar" at all.

All their mixed drinks are made at the bar in Citricos.

And if Citricos is closed, they get the mixed drinks from Mizners.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: