Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
jaman12
Mouseketeer

Dining OOP questions

We are going to WDW next spring and staying offsite so no DDP for us...all OOP.

Can regular meals be bought and split between two people? I know buffets and family style meals cannot be done that way, obviously. Must pay for every person. But if me and DH or the kids wanted to split a burger and fries...can we do that? I didn't know if that was frowned upon.

Can an adult order off of the kid's menu?

Sometimes the portions are big enough to split. So I was thinking that may be a way to save a little.

TIA!
March 2014 - Just time to go again - Staying Offsite
jaman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Dislover1991
DIS Veteran

Most restaurants don't mind if you split a meal between 2 people. At QS restaurants, we did that quite a bit and they have no idea so that doesn't really matter. But at TS restaurants, they didn't mind us sharing meals at all. I think for the most part, the restaurants understand that you don't want TOO much food on your stomach when you're in the parks riding rides

From what i've seen on here, SOME places will allow you to order off the kids menu while others kind of look down on it. I'm not sure which ones it is that have issues with it, but surely someone on here knows. I believe it was a few from the World Showcase.
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Melanie B
DIS Veteran

You can absolutely split meals. The portions tend to be pretty big so both people sharing should have more then enough to eat.

From what I can understand yes you can order from the childrens menu.

Feb 2015 Port Orleans French Quarter
Nov 2013 All Star Music
July 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Aug 2010 Caribbean Beach
Melanie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
melissafox18
DIS Veteran

We plan on splitting a lot of meals this time around. We prefer to eat an appetizer or dessert and split a meal (especially since a lot of them are so big!)

On days that we have dinner we are really looking forward to, we split a QS meal and we each have an entree dinner!
Old 08-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
cdhale
Mouseketeer

It's very east to order off the kids menu at the QS places

May 14 ~ WL * Sept 13 ~ POFQ * Jan 11 ~ Poly * Jan 10 ~ Poly * Jan 09 ~ WL * Feb 02 ~ DTD * Mar 97 ~ CBR * Mar 89 ~ off site

cdhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
dminnie
DIS Veteran

We are not very bit eaters and we split meals all the time. Not a problem at all. We usually go OOP. We had the DDP one time and we even split meals on that.
Our servers have always been great about it, even splitting the meals onto 2 plates in the kitchen on occasion. We do make sure to tip as if we all ordered something, especially if the server goes out of their way like that.

I don't think we've shared at any of the places that don't allow it though. It seems like Via Napoli doesn't allow it, but that may just be if you're on the DDP.
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Most portions are HUGE and we share almost everything without hesitation.

Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaman12 View Post
We are going to WDW next spring and staying offsite so no DDP for us...all OOP.

Can regular meals be bought and split between two people? I know buffets and family style meals cannot be done that way, obviously. Must pay for every person. But if me and DH or the kids wanted to split a burger and fries...can we do that? I didn't know if that was frowned upon.

Can an adult order off of the kid's menu?

Sometimes the portions are big enough to split. So I was thinking that may be a way to save a little.

TIA!
Splitting entrees should not be a problem . Not sure about ordering off the kids menu at a TS restaurant. It would have to be a very big burger for DW & I to split.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
bangzoom6877
DIS Veteran

Last year DH and I shared the porterhouse at Yachtsman. The waiter didn't even give us a second look. He brought out 2 plates with our entree. We wanted to try appetizers there, and the porterhouse was something like 24 ounces so it was plenty for us. It came with seasoned fries and we ordered another side dish to share. We were too full to order dessert!

I've eaten off the kids menu at CS places when i wanted something small for lunch, but I'm not sure how this would work for TS.

Another thing I've done is order an appetizer or 2 as my meal. OOP, they have no problem if you do that. And there are some really good appetizers you could make a meal of, so that's always an option too.

8/1985, off-site; 8/1989, off-site; 5/1992, HS trip off-site; 5/1994, HS trip off-site; 7/2008, 1st family trip Pop Century; 7/2010, 1st DVC trip BWV; 7/2012, 2nd DVC trip BWV; 7/2014, next DVC trip
bangzoom6877 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: