Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
JackieO
Mouseketeer

Resort airport check in

I've never used airport check in at the resort so I'm not sure how it all works. I'm wondering if we'll be able to use it since we'll have a rental car that we'll need to return at the airport. Do we have to leave our luggage and will it travel to the airport without us?
JackieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieO View Post
I've never used airport check in at the resort so I'm not sure how it all works. I'm wondering if we'll be able to use it since we'll have a rental car that we'll need to return at the airport. Do we have to leave our luggage and will it travel to the airport without us?
Yes, you check in your luggage and the next time you see it will be when you get to your home airport. Unlike the Magical Express from the airport, you don't have to be on the bus to use this.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieO View Post
The RAC Desks are open from 5 a.m. until 1 p.m. and you can check your bags and get your boarding passes there provided you are flying on an airline that participates. You must have the check-in process completed (not just be in line) no later than three hours before your scheduled flight departure.

Participating airlines are these:

Alaska Airlines
American Airlines
AirTran Airways
Continental Airlines
Delta Air Lines
JetBlue Airways
Southwest Airlines
United Airlines
US Airways

More info on the Disney site here.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Yes, I've done it a couple of times.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
SuperDan523
Mouseketeer

Anyone ever used RAC with American? They don't allow prepayment of luggage fees (reports online seem to indicate that if you call their call center and escalate the issue, after some begging they might allow it but with a $100 fee in addition to the baggage fees). I'll just check my bags with Bell Services if I can't figure it out, but it would be nice to not have to worry about our bags when we come back to catch DME.
SuperDan523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
ols386
I want to live at Disney World!!

We've used it several times, and it works very well.

We usually rent a car.

We do our airport check-in the morning we are to leave. We also check-in our luggage at that point.

Drive back to the airport when it's time, turn in the rental car, and we are set. Already have our boarding passes for the flight, etc.
CBR October 2010, Polynesian December 2009, Wilderness Lodge September 2009, POFQ March 2009, DCL (Wonder) May 2008, Port Orleans Riverside January 2008, Contemporary Resort January 2007, Coronado Springs Resort January 2006, DCL (Wonder) February 2005, POP April 2004, Grand Floridian November 2003, Caribbean Beach Resort March 2002, DCL (Magic) March 2001, Various Visits During Past 15 Years
ols386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #7
sarmat1
Mouseketeer

Just did it this morning at YC. Love the airline check in service. We always rent a car, but it's great letting Disney deal with all the luggage to the airport especially when you have a whole lot of bags.
sarmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDan523 View Post
Anyone ever used RAC with American? They don't allow prepayment of luggage fees (reports online seem to indicate that if you call their call center and escalate the issue, after some begging they might allow it but with a $100 fee in addition to the baggage fees). I'll just check my bags with Bell Services if I can't figure it out, but it would be nice to not have to worry about our bags when we come back to catch DME.
It was no problem doing RAC for American last September. I worried about the payment, but you just pay with a credit card at the RAC desk at the resort when you drop off the bags, no problem at all.

We did exactly that, checked our bags in our last morning and then headed to the parks before coming back to catch DME. Super easy and convenient, and we left our carry on bags with Bell Services and picked them up before getting on the bus.
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

RAC is really the same as curbside checkin....it's just that the 'curb' is quite a ways from the airport! As noted, not all airlines participate in this service, so be sure to know beforehand if your airline participates.
And like curbside checkin, it's good to remember to tip the person checking your bags in.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

OP, it isn't necessary to tip the people checking your bags at resort airline check in.

Anyone staying at that resort can use the airline check-in. It is a great service and we love it.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaDee View Post
OP, it isn't necessary to tip the people checking your bags at resort airline check in.

Anyone staying at that resort can use the airline check-in. It is a great service and we love it.
Eh, that's debatable. The TAX workers are the equivalent of the curbside check-in airport workers. They're culpable.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #12
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Eh, that's debatable. The TAX workers are the equivalent of the curbside check-in airport workers. They're culpable.
You can debate it all you'd like. It isn't something worth debating to me. If you feel the need to tip them, go ahead. I don't.

I've never tipped them and don't plan on tipping them. I don't tip the people that check my bags at the airport and those checking my bags in at the resort aren't any different.

Adding the typical Dis disclaimer ~ YMMV.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Darn auto-correct! This should say "The RAC workers are the equivalent of the curbside check-in airport workers. They're typically tipped.

As for whether one chooses to tip for a customarily-tipped service based solely on the location where that service is provided is up to the individual.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
Lmichele
Mouseketeer

Most airlines let you check-in 24 hours in advance online. So, would I use RAC instead of checking in online .... or ... could I still check in online then go to RAC desk to drop off my luggage?
Lmichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaDee View Post

You can debate it all you'd like. It isn't something worth debating to me. If you feel the need to tip them, go ahead. I don't.

I've never tipped them and don't plan on tipping them. I don't tip the people that check my bags at the airport and those checking my bags in at the resort aren't any different.

Adding the typical Dis disclaimer ~ YMMV.
No, we don't tip the people who take our checked bags from us at the airline counter, inside the terminal. But we do tip the curbside service people that take our bags. That is very customary. RAC workers are the same thing as curbside service workers. Here's the difference.....if you have baggage to check, you have to go inside and check them....if you want to cut your lugging time? You do curbside checkin. You don't want to tip? Go inside. That's 'free'. Don't mind tipping? Use curbside. The exact same hoes for RAC. You don't have to use it.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: