Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #46
jimmysmom74
DIS Veteran

My SIL went to WDW and said the same thing. The food was no good. I couldn't believe it. When we went to DL last year, I made all our dining plans, and she loved it. She said why don't they have food like this in WDW. I said they do, you just need to know where to look.
jimmysmom74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #47
cdhale
Mouseketeer

I completely agree with OP as far as the kid's meals are concerned. Even with my girls getting grapes or carrots or apple sauce as sides, it still seems that they were eating pizza, grilled cheese and nuggets over and over again on our prior trips. This year they're disney adults and very excited to order off the real menu!

Nov 14 ~ Poly * Sept 13 ~ POFQ * Jan 11 ~ Poly * Jan 10 ~ Poly * Jan 09 ~ WL * Feb 02 ~ DTD * Mar 97 ~ CBR * Mar 89 ~ off site

cdhale is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #48
Karbase8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by railwife View Post
This is why I always go with the deluxe dining plan. I never feel tied down to ADR as I plan a breakfast (or an early lunch) and then a dinner. It's a great way to kickstart the day or end it. On our honeymoon (which was planned by my husbands aunt, who didn't tell us anything till 5 hours before our flight, blah) we didn't have it and I got soooo sick of those cs sandwiches and hamburgers. I didn't do my research before we left so we always ended up going to the closest spot... Bad idea.
I did a similar thing I ate at the closest spot was there last week and made a huge mistake eating a burger at the Liberty Inn in Epcot. Never again! I love burgers and most times had ok experiences at WDW but I still feel sick thinking about it. Columbia Harbor House is a good choice for variety and even there chicken fingers are of quality. There peach cobbler is awesome still dreaming about it! I have learned my lesson and will choose variety over burgers and fries at the CS in the future.
Karbase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #49
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhale View Post
I completely agree with OP as far as the kid's meals are concerned. Even with my girls getting grapes or carrots or apple sauce as sides, it still seems that they were eating pizza, grilled cheese and nuggets over and over again on our prior trips. This year they're disney adults and very excited to order off the real menu!
They could have ordered off the real menu before, uless you were on the Dining Plan. If you paid for it, sounds like a mistake.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #50
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

I confess to having never eaten a CS meal at Disney.

Our previous trips have all been on the DxDP and I spent a lot of time researching TS meals before each trip.

Along those lines, the only truly disappointing meal I've had was at Coral Reef.

Granted, everything is overpriced but you're at Disney.

Ironically, I think the least overpriced restaurants relative to a comparable counterpart outside of WDW, at least from a cost percentage standpoint, are the signatures (meals at these are IMO around 30% more expensive than restaurants of comparable quality outside of WDW, whereas the average non-signature TS or CS is roughly twice as expensive as an outside-WDW restaurant of comparable quality).

That being said, I wouldn't recommend using regular DDP credits for signature meals (DxDP or OOP with TIW is another story).
Old 08-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #51
MattRyan
Mouseketeer

Hmmm, if I could, I would do no CS at all. I enjoy escaping from that hot August heat into a cool air conditioned table and having someone wait on me.
MattRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #52
Eureka
DIS Veteran

We don't do CS either. On our trip last week, we did 2 CS meals -- one on a night we were tired and cancelled an ADR and another when we were at Seaworld and were done earlier than expected. We love to have some nice meals and the respite in AC is welcome. We still managed to do, ride and see about 95% of what we had planned.
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #53
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

I think you have to seek out the best QS meals!!!

Epcot: Fish and Chips/Sugar Cookie at England (Rose & Crown?)
Bakery in France has a bunch of healthier options (salads/sandwiches)
Sunshine or Seasons whatever that place is
China has a QS option

DTD: Earl of Sandwich, Wolfgang Puck

MK: Columbia Harbor House has more options than just burger/fries

Boardwalk Bakery has sandwiches and such..

I can see where all the ones you run into the most at these parks are bleh, you just have to seek out good ones, Yak & Yeti at AK...I will go out of my way to get something tasty

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #54
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressBubbles View Post
We only do CS, with the exception of one OOP TS each trip. It is just our preference to not be tied down to ADRs. However, I only might have one or two burgers the whole trip and never feel that I'm left without any good choices.

That said, you do have to carefully pick at which CS you eat. We find great food at Sunshine Seasons, AoA food court, Starring Rolls, etc. I also substitute kid's grapes or carrots as my dessert option at some places.
DITTO! My last two trips (both in 2013) have been w/ only 1 ADR per trip. I WON'T eat burgers, fries, chicken tenders, etc <shudder> yet I've hardly "gone without!"

Epcot has dozens of non-fast food options including CS at the different countries and Sunshine Seasons. I like the food at the AS, Pop and POR food courts: build your own pasta, chicken quesadilla, homemade veggie soup, build your own salad--YUM!

The other parks aren't as great (and the water parks are rather hopeless) but I find plenty of good options at WDW--and I am a Hard Core Foodie. BTW, every CS meal I have ordered has been more than willing to swap carrots or grapes instead of fries.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #55
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

We usually dine mainly at CS at WDW and this year members of our family enjoyed:

Wonderfully prepared salmon (CHH)
Fantastic tuna sandwich (CHH)
Probably the best fried shrimp ever (CHH)
Lobster Roll (CHH and BWB)
Delicious turkey sandwich (Starring Rolls)
Terrific Taco Salad (Peco Bill)
The ONE burger for the trip with all the fixins! (Peco Bill)
The BEST brat (EPCOT - Sommerfest)
Great Ham & Swiss (EPCOT - Boulangerie Patisserie)
Oh, the Ribs (AK - Flame Tree)
and BBQ Chicken (AK - Flame Tree) great cole slaw too!

Breakfast was always CL

TS we enjoyed were BOG/dinner, CP for lunch and Via Napoli our new FAVE!!!!!

Amazing trip!
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #56
MartDM
DIS Veteran

It sounds like your family's picky eating habit harpooned you more so than the CS offerings OP. There are literally hundreds of CS options but it sounds like your family wasn't open to experiencing any of them.

If they will only eat burgers and you aren't willing to choose an alternate dining location for yourself, you're kind of stuck in their picky world along with them. I'm not seeing that as WDW's failing because there were other meals that could have been chosen (and healthier options to be sure!).

Sorry you got stuck in "burger world". Next time, just let them eat where they'd like and you eat where you'd like. That's the beauty of CS; you can all get what you want and meet at a table to enjoy it together DH, DS, and I do that all the time.
MartDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #57
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

We eat mostly counter service and I usually have just one burger during a week at WDW. You just have to know where to eat as others have pointed out.

I still end up feeling bloated though. Too many desserts is my downfall!

Last edited by Planogirl; 08-28-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Planogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #58
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

The 1 and only time we eat burgers at WDW is Pecos Bills, so we can do the fixings bar thing. Non-burger CS options in every park are plentiful and varied.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #59
mom2my3kids
Doesn't believe in the Tag Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
I think you have to seek out the best QS meals!!!

Epcot: Fish and Chips/Sugar Cookie at England (Rose & Crown?)
Bakery in France has a bunch of healthier options (salads/sandwiches)
Sunshine or Seasons whatever that place is
China has a QS option

DTD: Earl of Sandwich, Wolfgang Puck

MK: Columbia Harbor House has more options than just burger/fries

Boardwalk Bakery has sandwiches and such..

I can see where all the ones you run into the most at these parks are bleh, you just have to seek out good ones, Yak & Yeti at AK...I will go out of my way to get something tasty

Dec 14-20th 2013
Daytona/Universal/MNSSHP Sept 2011
Sept 2009 8 nights Pop Century
Sept 22nd-Sept 30th 2007 POP
October 2006, OKW,POP 6 night trip..
mom2my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #60
mom2my3kids
Doesn't believe in the Tag Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praying Colonel View Post
The 1 and only time we eat burgers at WDW is Pecos Bills, so we can do the fixings bar thing. Non-burger CS options in every park are plentiful and varied.
We love Peco Bills, but I will say the last time we ate there the burgers did not taste like burgers and dont get me started on the nasty buns..BUT we will try it again this year..

Dec 14-20th 2013
Daytona/Universal/MNSSHP Sept 2011
Sept 2009 8 nights Pop Century
Sept 22nd-Sept 30th 2007 POP
October 2006, OKW,POP 6 night trip..
mom2my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: