Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #31
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

I think there was also a issue of "failure to really read the menu" I am trying hard to think of a place that ONLY has burgers. And... failing.

If you just order the pretty picture 99% of the time it's the burger

OP seems to want to "blame Disney" but it sounds like some of the choices were her's.

And I am sorry, this "picky eater" thing just cracks me up. My family has a rule. "this is dinner, eat it or go hungry" Amazingly we have no picky eaters (and I have cured a few kids on Girl Scout trips simply by saying "this was the menu your group chose, sorry" LOL!)
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #32
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

We generally do counter service and food court meals when we are at Disney, as most of the time we just don't want to take the time for a sit-down table service dinner, nor do we want to pay the prices for them. The only table service restaurants I remember eating at were Akershush and the 50's Prime Time Cafe.

I also can't remember ever ordering a burger and fries at any CS meal. There are loads of other options. We love Sunshine Seasons and Flame Tree BBQ, plus the Food Court at POR.

We love the options at the food court: make-your-own pasta and salads with lots of options/toppings for them, and they have a carving station with meat and sides.

Sometimes we just grab quick snacks out of the coolers at the food court too.
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #33
phdhycster
Mouseketeer

Which counter service areas have steak?
phdhycster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #34
Fantaluminishes
To all who come to this happy place, welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_taffy05 View Post
I just don't understand...

1. It's vacation. Big deal if you gain a few pounds. It's not the end of the world. Just go back to hitting the gym and eating veggies and lots of water- the weight will come off.

2. Disney has so many delicious food options. I would never order a burger.

3. Table service is part of the fun of vacation.

4. Of course the food is not going to be super healthy- you are at a resort not a health spa.

5. If you dislike it that much, don't go back and pick a vacation that suits your tastes better.
THANK YOU!!!!
You absolutely hit the nail on the head. Especially #5. It's amazing how many complaints I read on these boards from WDW regulars who REALLY need to take an extended break. I'm talking ten years!

However, I think #1 should not apply. I usually have 2 TS meals each day at WDW, and I still lose weight. All that walking around does wonders. Now if you are on a cruise, or just lounging around the pool and grazing at buffets all day, you're gonna pack on the pounds. Everybody is different.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #35
Dislover1991
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantaluminishes View Post
THANK YOU!!!!
You absolutely hit the nail on the head. Especially #5. It's amazing how many complaints I read on these boards from WDW regulars who REALLY need to take an extended break. I'm talking ten years!

However, I think #1 should not apply. I usually have 2 TS meals each day at WDW, and I still lose weight. All that walking around does wonders. Now if you are on a cruise, or just lounging around the pool and grazing at buffets all day, you're gonna pack on the pounds. Everybody is different.
When we arrived home from Disney, I weighed myself and had gained 3 pounds - I lost it within a week without really cutting back on calories (I just went back to eating healthy like I did before the trip). Most of the extra weight we put on during the trip is just water weight - especially when it's extremely hot at Disney. I know I felt bloated and gross the entire trip but after a few days back home, I was fine!

Plus on vacations, we always eat a big breakfast, a snack, & a big dinner so even though I may eat more calories at each meal, i'm not eating 3-4 meals like I do back home so it all evens out.

Dislover1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #36
Karbase8
DIS Veteran

I have a mixed opinion on this one. For the most part, I find the meals at Disney mediocre, however in comparison to other Theme Parks they are top-notch. I just got back and my TS meals were much better than previous years at restaurants that get mixed to poor reviews. We ate at Sci-Fi and I will tell you it was probably the best steak I ever at Disney even better than Le Cellier. We also did 1900 Park Fare which many pan and that was awesome as well as Be Our Guest. The QS or CS I have more difficulty with but did eat at Columbia Harbor House and Cosmic Rays both always very good. I ate at Liberty Inn which was a huge mistake and still feel sick thinking about it. The first couple of trips to Disney I was very disappointed in the food as I had went in the 70's and 9
80's and even 90's and the food was just excellent. With the inception of the DDP quality has went down but also have to seek out better options.
Karbase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #37
jahber
DIS Veteran

Yes, it can be a pain to locate a place that makes everyone in your family happy. I've found that I need to plan our CS meals and tour according to where we need to be at lunchtime so we don't have to walk across the park. Now that I go into the park knowing where we will eat lunch, it's much easier to please everyone AND make healthy choices. I don't know why it took me so long to realize that we didn't have to eat at the first place we came to, just because I was surprised that (yet again!) my children got hungry at lunch time. Live and learn.
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #38
OLIVIA'S DADDY
Mouseketeer

There are literally like hndreds of restaurants on Disney property, I don't see any possible way that you could just eat burgers and pizza mostly if you did not want to. Epcot alone has more options than your average city does to eat. Part of it is the fact that you are limiting yourself to counter service meals for the most part and the part of it is not planning for different meals. Also, every counter service meal had salads, (Just order dressing on the side) and fruit of some sort.

Anything can become stale and redundant if you do it over and over again. If you are looking for gourmet meals at CS restaurants than you are the one at fault. It's like going to McDonalds and looking for a perfectly cooked steak and veggies, not going to happen. If you want a healthy meal you would have to eat TS and then you can request what you want and most likely they will make it for you.

Disney is the most accomodating place I have ever been to, they bend over backwards in most cases to make people happy.

To say there were not enough options is just crazy though. You just have to be a little more flexible than counter service if you want some variety and more healthy options.

And I have no idea how anyone would gain weight on a Disney vacation unless they were in a wheelchair. I lost 10 pounds in May in a week and I ate like an animal. I feel as though I have never eaten and scarf it all down after walking in the parks all day. It's actually one of the perks, lose weight and eat like an animal all week.
OLIVIA'S DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #39
starrysky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdhycster View Post
Be our guest has a steak sandwich at lunch time and its a CS place.

We also hardly ate if at all burgers on our last trip. We finally made it to sunshine seasons this past trip and it was great the Mongolian beef with rice was great. Had good pasta at POR and the food at wolf gang puck is fantastic for a CS best value as far as I can see on property.

Overall I'm amazed at the offerings you can get in Epcot alone let alone what you can find in the other parks.

1986 Hilton Downtown Disney, 1992 Offisite Kissimmee, 2006 Offsite (sheraton vistana) 2009 POFQ, 2010 POR, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 POFQ

starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #40
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainK View Post
I always come home feeling gross and unhealthy....and it wasnt worth it.
I have a totally different view point, and think that in the lasts several years the CS options have improved!

Here are a few of our favorites:

CHH at MK, Tuna on whole grain, and I'm not a big fan of fried, but the fried shrimp w/ brocoli slaw is good and a change from burgers and fries! We also love the vegetarian chili.

TC at Epcot, Schwarma Platter, cous-cous and lentil salad, falafel

SS at Epcot, Roasted beet salad w/ goat cheese and the new Pork Bahn sandwich is really good! They have new menu items, I haven't tried the seared tuna noodle salad yet

KB at Epcot, one of my absolute faves, the open faced egg and salmon sandwich. Their club is good too!

These are just a few! As far as kids meal, my son ate what we ate, so rarely kids meals unless they had decent offerings like steak, fish etc. and I think those have also improved quite a bit! I've been going to Disney since it opened and I think CS has improved greatly, where as TS has gone in the opposite directions, down the toidy!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #41
isaboo
Mouseketeer

We were there for 5 days and I think the only burger we had was at Beaches and cream, and it was delish!

That said, we didn't do many counter service. We had breakfast in the club lounge at YC, then usually did a big TS meal with snacks in between.

The only counter service we ate was Columbia Harbour House (fried shrimp...you really can't go wrong) and the fish and chips stand at WS.

isaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #42
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
And I am sorry, this "picky eater" thing just cracks me up. My family has a rule. "this is dinner, eat it or go hungry" Amazingly we have no picky eaters (and I have cured a few kids on Girl Scout trips simply by saying "this was the menu your group chose, sorry" LOL!)
It's unfortunate that you have never met my brothers. They would quite literally go hungry until they got EXACTLY what they wanted. What you got were kids that were lightweight in terms of picky eaters. Not on my brothers' caliber at all.

And this isn't just one set of parents; same dad (non custodial for me and full brother but in-house for the next two brothers) but different moms. None of them would eat anything they didn't want to eat. Hours and hours at the dinner table. (tell me WHY families punish the "good eaters" in the family? why?)

By the time my sister showed up dad and stepmom had given up, LOL.

And guess which ONE of the 5 of us has the allergies? Guesses? Yep. The good eater, the one that made peace by eating vile things just so she could hopefully leave the table.

Turns out those picky eaters seem to be protecting themselves from things their bodies can't deal with.

Jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantaluminishes View Post

Well now it doesn't work that way for everyone. I lost 4 but DH didn't. He had major swelling, and that's despite having a diuretic that he takes for a different reason.

I should have mentioned in my first post that we're vegetarian so definitely aren't going for the burger (though their veggie burgers are decent), and have to seek out other things. We don't go to the first CS we come across, and if someone wants something from another place, we don't have any rules about everyone eating all at once. Since I grew up with those picky boys and therefore HATE food arguments, and my DH grew up with a mom who put him on a diet at THREE years old and therefore hates being forced to eat just anything, we have absolutely no problem making lunch/etc into a multi-stop thing. Of course, we've also sought out the places that work for everyone. Columbia Harbour House is amazing for us, and Sunshine Seasons is terrific. SS is confusing sometimes because each station has different things, you need to wait for the signs to cycle completely through, and sometimes they have things that aren't on the signs. Plus you can customize stuff there. It's FAR more flexible than it appears at first glance.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #43
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdhycster View Post
The one at the American pavilion in EPCOT World Showcase.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #44
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

The last time we ate a burger at WDW I believe was in 2008. We've gone every year since then and stay 6-7 nights each time. There are so many other QS food options besides burgers and fries. We purposely avoid eating burgers and fries at WDW.

Sent from my Galaxy SII
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise in 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise in 2014. BC stay and Eastern Caribbean Cruise in 2015!!

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #45
railwife
Earning My Ears

This is why I always go with the deluxe dining plan. I never feel tied down to ADR as I plan a breakfast (or an early lunch) and then a dinner. It's a great way to kickstart the day or end it. On our honeymoon (which was planned by my husbands aunt, who didn't tell us anything till 5 hours before our flight, blah) we didn't have it and I got soooo sick of those cs sandwiches and hamburgers. I didn't do my research before we left so we always ended up going to the closest spot... Bad idea.
railwife is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: