Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #16
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainK View Post
Just spend 9 days in the world. I don't dare to step on the scale, I must say.

Since we were not on a DDP this trip, and didn't want to be tied down to an ADR everyday, we opted for most CS meals with the exception of Cape May bkfst, Ohana dinner, TREX dinner and Liberty Tree Tavern.

By day 3, I was soooo sick of the burgers, fries, fried food options, etc. I felt like all the CS restaurants had the same food and it was terrible. Not many options I found. And the food I did choose was not good quality.

The best CS I had all week was at MK in tomorrow land...roasted chicken and mashed potatoes with green beans. 2nd runner up a lobster roll at Boardwalk Bakery.

Even our favorite Ohana was not enjoyable this year. We usually LOVE IT but left feeling "what was that?". I don't think I would book it for our next trip....it was *that* disappointing this year.

Our favorite TS meal was by far Liberty Tree. Delish.

For breakfast,I had planned to get fruit every morning, but the fruit cups didn't look fresh and appeared over ripe. I opted for bananas and of course a muffin each day. Oh...and the bacon...what is with the bacon? I say it every year....it is not real bacon. Hahaha It's just awful. Forgot how bad it was until we went to Cape May for bkfst.

Even the kids meal choices are awful. I just wish they would offer better quality and healthier options.

I always come home feeling gross and unhealthy....and it wasnt worth it.
Ohana dinner can be pretty unhealthy. If you went to LTT for dinner it is pretty unhealthy too. And you loved the bacon at Cape May. That's all heavy food. Add to that the unhealthy CS melas you had (and you can get.plenty of healthy CS meals). Looks like the blame is being pointed in the wrong direction.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #17
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane

I agree with some of the previous posters in that there are some really good CS options that aren't burgers and fries.

Having said that the lower quality, overpriced meals found at many TS restaurants have made us search offsite for better dinners. We have been much happier eating at some offsite places for the last few years.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
Dislover1991
DIS Veteran

When we went to Disney last year, I ate alot of sandwiches but I only ate 1 burger the entire time - and it was the vegetable burger at Sci Fi.

I'm a health nut so I always tried to find a healthy alternative. Come to think of it, my dad was the only person in our party of 4 who ate a burger maybe more than 3 times throughout our visit and that's because he just really loves burgers!

Dislover1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #19
troll buster
Mouseketeer

What we had for cs meals was fish, chicken, salads, wraps, ribs, pizza, tuna salad, pulled pork, sweet and sour pork, egg rolls, turkey sandwich, steak sandwich, etc... If that isn't variety I don't know what is!
troll buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #20
kim_d
DIS Veteran

I don't eat red meat, so I haven't ever had a burger at Disney; I've never had a problem with finding options at CS. I like Sunshine Seasons, Cosmic Rays, the CS at China, and many more
kim_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #21
EspositoScoresOTR
Mouseketeer

I can sympathize with both sides of this discussion. There are some great counter service meals in Disney, but also some places where the options are limited. I've never actually had a burger in Disney(the CS options look terrible), but there are places I don't know what to get too. In Epcot, I've only had two good CS lunch or dinners(tangerine cafe & sunshine seasons), the China, Japan, Mexico, Norway CSs were all underwhelming. At AKL the Mara is fantastic.

I do love Captains Cooks, Boardwalk Bakery, Hurricane Hannah's, Sunshine Seasons, Tangerine Cafe, the Mara, Artists Palate, Wolfgang Puck Cafe, and Earl of Sandwich though.
EspositoScoresOTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #22
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll buster View Post
What we had for cs meals was fish, chicken, salads, wraps, ribs, pizza, tuna salad, pulled pork, sweet and sour pork, egg rolls, turkey sandwich, steak sandwich, etc... If that isn't variety I don't know what is!
As you point out there are lots of options. I haven't had a burger or fried item at WDW in at least a decade if not longer. Great options at Tangerine Cafe, Katsura Grill, Cosmic Rays, Sunshine Seasons, Backlot Express, and even Pecos Bills. There are many other options as well. Lots of opitions if you look for them.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #23
roselark
DIS Veteran

There really are a ton of CS options, however, when it is hot out and everyone is tired, the last thing you might want to do is walk very far to find something decent. It is far easier to go to whatever is closest. I have done this as well, but understanding that you can make substitutions to your order can really help. I am a picky eater as well, and I can always find healthier options.

I love burgers...it is actually one of my favorite foods and I eat at least one every trip. Instead of fries, however, I get carrots. If I am at a CS place that has a toppings bar, I will often order the kidsmeal burger with carrots and grapes.

I make an effort to eat fruit and veggies for snacks whenever I can and save the sweets for the occasional dessert. (Cannot resist the dole whip!) When you get a salad, ask for dressing on the side.

At Pecos Bills, I order the taco salad with 1/2 meat and load up on the veggies at the topping station. I love World Showcase for CS. Tons of options there.

Really, there are too many locations to list. Never hesitate to ask what substitution options are available.
Completed Trips: 9/2006 Coronado Springs; 12/2007 WL; 11/2008 SSR; 5/2009 AKV; 10/2009 BWV; 5/2010 POP; 8/2010 POP; 1/2011 AKV; 5/2011 SSR; 8/2011 Disneyland D23 Expo; 9/2011 AKV; 4/2012 Disneyland Grand Californian; 9/2012 BWV; 1/2013 OKW; 6/2013 AKV 40th Birthday Trip; early 9/2013 BWV; late 9/2013 POP; early 9/2014 BWV; late 9/2014 AKV

Upcoming trips: 11/2014 Contemporary (work convention), 12/2014 All-Star Sports, 1/2015 POP (WDW Half Marathon)
roselark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #24
Dislover1991
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post
As you point out there are lots of options. I haven't had a burger or fried item at WDW in at least a decade if not longer. Great options at Tangerine Cafe, Katsura Grill, Cosmic Rays, Sunshine Seasons, Backlot Express, and even Pecos Bills. There are many other options as well. Lots of opitions if you look for them.
I'm seeing alot of fans of Tangerine Cafe on here - while we didn't see anything that interested us at the Moroccan TS restaurant, I might have to check out Tangerine Cafe's menu.

Dislover1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #25
Pinkerella
Earning My Ears

Aw I hate you had such a bad experience! When we went I don't think we even ate a burger. But the food did make my feet swell , I'm guessing from the salt (???) we don't use a lot a home and we pigged out at Disney! Our dinner at O'hana was really good maybe you went on an off night. Maybe next time you could eat at places like Yak and Yeki so you can skip the burgers.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #26
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

There are so many other options at WDw QS than burgers, pizza, nuggets!

Between grilled fish, tacos, salads, soups, Mediterranean foods, BBQ ribs, chicken, gourmet Sammy's, sushi, meatloafs, steaks( yea two QS have steak) there is always other things than burgers! Lol!
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #27
missycj96
DIS Veteran

I had the salmon with cous cous and broccoli at Columbia harbor house yesterday. Also I got a great baked sweet potato at the cart in liberty square.
missycj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #28
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

Reading the follow up posts correctly, you ended up ordering burgers and fries most of the time because your family is picky and that's what they wanted, so you had to frequent places that sold such items.

There are lots of healthier options, but it is hard to drag the rest of the family around looking for them.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #29
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

Bummer.

I am encouraged by all of these positive experiences with CS though.

This next trip we're only doing one TS a day, and I was dreading all of the CS, but I'm going to check out these places and hope for a good, healthy variety.

Thanks everyone for sharing your good CS experiences!!

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #30
lin7
DIS Veteran

We haven't had the basic dining plans for many years now, as we love table service more. But when we did the basic ddp, we found that counter service options to have a variety if stuff other than burgers. There are many many options beside burgers.
lin7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: