Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #211
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
hi everyone!

I'm just sat on our balcony at the Boardwalk, so I thought I'd check in

The race was AMAZING! I loved every moment of it, I even got a little sad when I realised I was coming up to the end
I finished in 02:02:31 - which I was really pleased with, I'd been quicker in training runs but then I hadn't had 25k other runners around me (and I started in Corral O so the course was quite congested)!
I raised over $1,000 for Make A Wish UK in sponsorship too

RunDisney does an amazing job of organising events, we really enjoyed seeing the full marathon runners on the course yesterday

Otherwise it's been a wonderful trip so far - very little rain, warm & sunny - and apart from runners the theme park crowds are very low, walked on to nearly every ride!

Heading to Hollywood Studios soon, hope everyone has a great week

Emma - half marathon runner x
Wow awesome job! I'm sure it's way different having a ton of other people around you.

Woot woot for no waits on rides!

Hope you have an amazing rest of the trip!

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #212
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Hi!

So, we're back! Had such a great trip to Disney and the gulf coast, hard to come back to cold January weather in the UK lol

Let me get on with the Boston TR... mostly photos now so I can get through it quickly for you

Tuesday 2nd July 2013

We decided to do the Duck Tour today – and booked our tickets online (this made the price slightly less), and needed to be at the start point (near the Christian Science Centre) at 9.30am.

We got there a bit early, and went into the shopping centre to get some coffees and muffins for breakfast.

Then we checked in for our tour, and waited a few minutes on the benches provided until it was time to board our Duck.

Each duck is a different colour and design (whereas the ones in London are all yellow) and each of the tour guides are real characters! We had Major Tom – who was excellent, very knowledgeable and entertaining.

He even added a little Disney touch to our tour – by playing “A Pirates Life For Me” as we drove into the Charles River!

We got to try a Necco candy during the tour – we'd not heard of these before (and learnt that the name comes from the 'New England Confectionary Company')

disneybarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #213
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Boston..

Our duck!

After the tour, we walked to Newbury Street and got some lunch at an Italian restaurant, the food was really good and reasonably priced.

We walked back through the park to our hotel...

We did a little shopping too, I bought some running gear in City Sports (one of the outfits I actually just wore for the WDW Half marathon!), and also a blanket from Marshalls – ready for our July 4th plans by the river.

Running things..

We stopped at Dunkin Donuts for a drink (we don't have these at home but noticed them everywhere in Boston, I think our Duck Tour guide said there are nearly 100 in Boston alone!)

There was a tiny bit of rain this afternoon, but hardly any – we'd been so lucky with the weather for our entire trip.

We relaxed for a while at the hotel, then got ready for the evening.. we were heading to Fenway – my first ball game!

Old 01-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #214
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Boston..

Dressed appropriately..

We got on the T to Fenway, once again it was really easy to use the subway.

Once near the park, we stopped in a large sports bar for a drink – I even decided to try a local beer.

We walked a bit closer to the stadium, the atmosphere was really lively and fun.

We went into another bar that had a view right onto the field – photos weren't allowed while the teams were warming up.

We went through the security line and made our way into the Park!

We got some Fenway Franks for dinner – very tasty. And also got some popcorn to eat during the game.

Our seats were pretty good – there was a column to the right of us which obscurred some of the view, but we could see the pitchers and batters fine.

I was really pleased we'd done the tour the day before, I appreciated so much more about the Red Sox and Fenway Park.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #215
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Boston..

Before the game!

I really liked the opening of the game and singing the national anthem!

Wally!

We really enjoyed the game, the atmosphere was great – we sang along to 'Sweet Caroline' too.. and luckily enough the Red Sox won that night too! (and went on to win a few more games that season too I believe )

After the game, we decided to walk back to our hotel rather than get the Subway. It was a warm night and fun to walk back towards the city with all the other Sox fans.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #216
MEK
DIS Veteran

Congrats on finishing the half marathon with an awesome time and energy to spare. That IS quite impressive.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun at the Red Sox game.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:08 PM   #217
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Congrats on your half marathon!

Great updates! I love Ducks - the only ones I've ridden are in Wisconsin Dells, though. Looks like it was a fun way to see Boston.

Sounds like you had a great baseball experience too!
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Dugette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #218
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Congrats on finishing the half marathon with an awesome time and energy to spare. That IS quite impressive.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun at the Red Sox game.
Thank you! The Marathon weekend was incredible, can't believe it's over a month ago.. must get on with this TR so I can start writing up that trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugette View Post
Congrats on your half marathon!

Great updates! I love Ducks - the only ones I've ridden are in Wisconsin Dells, though. Looks like it was a fun way to see Boston.

Sounds like you had a great baseball experience too!
Thank you
The Ducks were a great way to see the city, although a shorter trip than the trollies, the conductors were real characters - we learnt so much about the city!

More photos coming up... sorry for all the delays!

Emma x
Old 02-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #219
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 13... Boston

Wednesday 3rd July 2013

Today we decided to walk the Freedom Trail – it's about a three mile walk around the city, that passes many of the famous landmarks in Boston.

We started in Boston Common.

It was easy to follow the route as the pavement had pieces paved in a different way to mark it clearly.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #220
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 13...

I really liked in Boston how many flowers there were, they seemed to be everywhere!

Crossing over the bridge to Charlestown was a bit scary!

Main Street..

I loved this part of the city.. beautiful houses.

Bunker Hill...

We don't learn a lot of US history at school here, so we really enjoyed learning about it while we were staying in Boston

So we got to the end of the Freedom Trail... and then had to turn around and walk all the way back!

We made a stop for lunch at a restaurant our Duck tour guide had pointed out, Union Oyster House, it was the longest serving restaurant in the USA...

The menu had all of the classic North East dishes that we wanted to try... we both had clam chowder to start (which I believe is pronounced 'Chowda' in Boston!) - DH had a lobster roll, and I had scrod (which I learnt wasn't a type of fish, just refers to the 'catch of the day'!).

Old 02-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #221
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 13...

After lunch, we decided to go to the New England Aquarium..

We were trying to find the bench from the movie Ted.. where he and John sit.. but it didn't seem to exist! I think this window was part of the scene though...

The seals were very cute..

The Aquarium was impressive and had a lot of great animal displays – unfortunately, as it was July 4th week, it was very busy when we visited!

We wandered back to the hotel and had a rest before going out for some dinner – I'd had my iPod pedometer on for the day... and was pretty amazed by our step count!

We got showered and changed, and went back out to find somewhere for a light dinner. We found a Sports bar, Champions, in a nearby hotel – they were showing the Red Sox game which DH wanted to watch.

Our server there was really nice, let us take our time (she knew we were watching the game) – we shared some nachos, then DH had a pulled pork burger and I had a salad (both were huge... luckily our server suggested getting a half size portion of the nachos!).

Old 02-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #222
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 14... Boston

Thursday 4th July 2013

So as you can see by today's date.. it was a pretty special day!

We'd deliberately chosen to stay in Boston for 6 nights, so that we could get to experience the Fourth of July in the USA (for our honeymoon, we'd flown home on the 3rd.. just missing the amazing fireworks and celebrations at WDW!).

We wandered to the Old State House, where we'd learned a few days before was where the Declaration of Independence was re-read every July 4th.
There was quite a crowd gathering already, so DH found a spot for us to stand – and I walked to a nearby Starbucks for some coffees and breakfast!
The server there was really friendly, he recognised my accent and was asking me lots about the UK.

I walked back to the Old State House, the crowd had got so much bigger – I actually couldn't stand next to DH for the reading!

It was a really memorable experience, full of emotion – after the reading a singer performed “America – the Beautiful”.

Lots of confetti was sprayed everywhere at the end..

The crowd started to disperse, we started to walk towards the Charles river so that we could watch the US Constitution ship make its one annual voyage.
After a few steps, the ground shook and there was a huge explosion... everyone gasped and screamed... (after what happened in April) … but very quickly we realised it was part of the celebration; men in period costume had fired muscats!

It was pretty scary though.. a man nearby me said “I think you need to drink that coffee!” (I must have turned very pale after the noise).

Old 02-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #223
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 14...

4th July Starbucks...

We made our way to the river, it was such a beautiful day.

Loved the red, white & blue water jets that were sprayed from a boat in front of the ship..

After seeing the ship, we went in search of another Boston food item... icecream!

It was only 11am, but it was a national holiday.. so it was ok

We walked back to our hotel to freshen up, and also pack our bag for the afternoon... we were going to camp out by the river and wait for the fireworks show, however no bags were allowed so we had to put everything in clear plastic bag.

Our hotel..

Old 02-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #224
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 14...

We made our way to the water front, there was a lot of security – as we'd expected – but it didn't take long to get through. There were plenty of places to sit, we found a shady spot and laid out our blanket.. it was about 1pm – so we had 8 hours to go until the fireworks!
We got some lunch at one of the food stands, burgers, and spent the afternoon talking and reading... with a few walks along the path.

I was impressed with the decorations many families had brought along with them.

We got some large fruit smoothie drinks from one of the stands...

I read nearly a whole book that afternoon, but otherwise the time flew by – and soon the sun was setting and the Boston Pops Orchestra concert in the Hatch Shell was underway – the music was piped out all along the riverside so we could hear it.

We had been given a programme on the way in, which had the lyrics for the songs played... everyone stood up for this part of the concert and sang along!

The Prudential building had red, white & blue lights for the day..

Old 02-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #225
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 14...

The fireworks were amazing – the show seemed to go on forever!

There was a memorial section for the Boston Marathon victims which was very moving, the fireworks were all in blue & gold, the BAA colours...

After the fireworks, we made our way back towards out hotel – it was very crowded, but there were lots of police and volunteers around making sure we were all safe.
We stopped for a late dinner at Bolocos – a 'Boston local' burrito cafe, we really enjoyed it!

It had been a wonderful day, I'm so glad we got to experience 4th of July in Boston.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: