Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #166
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 9...

As a gift to our room steward and servers, I had brought some sweets and presents from home to give to them along with their gratuity envelopes. I put the gift bags together, and left Vivek's (our room steward) out on the side.

We made our way up to deck thirteen at 6.30pm, our reservation wasn't until 7pm but we wanted to go a bit early to enjoy the view from the Meridian lounge.

We were invited through to the restaurant a little while later, our table was right by one of the windows – beautiful view while we ate!

Our waitress was Patrysha, from Poland, she'd lived in England for many years so recognised our accents!

The restaurant manager came over to welcome us, he asked if we'd dined at Remy before, and we said we had but on the Dream. He asked if we remembered who our server had been (we did – as he'd been so outstanding, Gabrielle) – and the manager knew him from when he'd worked onboard the Dream! Apparently Gabrielle recently moved back to France, as his fiancee was expecting their first child. It was great to hear a story like that about such a fantastic crew member from our first cruise.

As we had drinks still from the Meridian bar, our server said that rather than give us the pre dinner champagne cocktail, she'd bring us a glass of champagne at the end of the meal instead (this was fine – except, thinking about it now – we didn't actually get it.. but we must have forgotten after all the food!).

disneybarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #167
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 9...

First we were started with 'tomato soup' … it looked like a little potato crocket though! The server suggested eating it all in one go.. and that was great advice, because as soon as we bit into it – the warm tomato soup escaped from the cheese and breadcrumbs.

To eat, we each chose one of the set menus – I went for the 'Gout' menu as it only had one dish that contained nuts, so the chef suggested swapping that for one from the 'Saveur' menu.

The amouse bouche was served in a martini glass, like a vegetable mousse – it was very light and tasty.

Each course was outstanding – and beautifully presented, nearly all of them had a garnish or a sauce that was added to the plate once it was set on the table in front of us.

My courses were – lobster salad, seabass, chicken and crab, pork two ways and a cherry tart.

DH had a tomato salad to start (that included a glass of clear tomato juice!), salmon, seabass, a Mexican-style wagyu beef and a chocolate praline dessert.

We also had the cheese course –

Fresh napkins provided for dessert...

and were later served freshly made marshmallows, petit fours and lollipops.

While we ate, it was interesting to see how busy the sea was around us – I guess we were now approaching the US coast.

At one point, the waitress asked if I'd like another glass of wine – I said yes – and then ten minutes later she arrived with the drink, apologising for the 'wait'.. apparently Meridian, Remy and Palo had run out of this particular wine, so a waiter had had to run down to one of the other bars on the ship to get it! Amazing Disney service.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #168
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 9...

During the meal, the chef came out to speak to us too – he is the French chef of the two (the other is Scott Hummel who also runs the Victoria and Albert at the Grand Floridian).

We were presented with a red rose and small box of chocolates at the end of the meal,

We were there for nearly three hours – it had been a fantastic experience once again. We were also treated to a special plate from the kitchen...

Once back at the room, I noticed that Vivek hadn't taken his gift bag – even though the room had been turned down! Luckily I found him just a few doors down in another stateroom, so I gave him the bag – he looked very surprised, I hope he liked it!

One last towel animal...

We got changed and packed our Remy evening wear in the suitcases, and then put them outside the stateroom ready to be collected.

We went for a walk around the ship, enjoying the last few hours onboard! We went to look at the Monsters University merchandise in the shops, I had hoped for an 'OK' or 'PNK' vest – but they didn't have any.
We stopped at Shutters to buy a couple of our photos – one on Castaway Cay (post race!) and another of us at dinner on pirate night.

By then it was about 11pm, so we decided to go to bed – ready for an early start in the morning, and the next chapter of our vacation!

Last edited by disneybarbie; 12-15-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #169
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

I want to try Remy, I really do, but neither DH or I eat seafood of any kind and I can't imagine how that would work out.

I know. We're weird.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #170
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Your Remy experience sounds amazing!! And you and your DH look fantastic!
The gift bags were a sweet addition to the gratuities.
I had also hoped for a cute Monsters University top when we went to WDW in September, but there was nothing!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #171
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSWonder View Post
I want to try Remy, I really do, but neither DH or I eat seafood of any kind and I can't imagine how that would work out.

I know. We're weird.
Hope you get to try Remy one day.. they do have an a la carte menu too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Your Remy experience sounds amazing!! And you and your DH look fantastic!
The gift bags were a sweet addition to the gratuities.
I had also hoped for a cute Monsters University top when we went to WDW in September, but there was nothing!
Aww thank you! I wore a dress that I'd bought for a wedding earlier in the year - it was a discounted Calvin Klein dress, seemed the right thing to wear for Remy!
I had a look in some other Disney Stores and online for more MU clothing.. not found anything yet!

Emma x
Old 12-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #172
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 10... Port Canaveral to Boston!

Saturday 29th June 2013

I had set an alarm on my phone for 6am – except that my phone was still on Mexico time, so I was awake from 5am!

Even so – we were already back at Port Canaveral.

I slept a little more, then we got up and ready for breakfast. We hadn't stayed for the breakfast on our first cruise, as we just wanted to get going to WDW! But this time, our flight wasn't until 1pm – so we didn't want to get to MCO too early.

We made our way down to Enchanted Garden.

Goodbye room!

We waited about 10 minutes outside the restaurant for our seating – everyone around us looked so sad... I don't think anyone was ready to get off the ship!

Once seated, we were again reminded that it was the end of our trip...

It was so strange, we still had another week of vacation – and couldn't wait to visit Boston – and yet we were both feeling glum.. the Disney Cruise magic is pretty amazing!

I had a salmon bagel dish, DH had eggs and bacon.

It was nice to see our servers one last time – and I got to give them their gift bags in person. Luciana was so pleased with hers, she said that she'd never seen anything like it! She gave us both a hug before we left, and said that she wanted to see us again in the future – but with babies!!

Then, sadly, it really was time to say goodbye.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #173
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 10...

We collected our suitcases with no problems, and quickly got through customs. There were plenty of DCL coaches waiting to take us to the airport, and very soon we were on the road back to the airport.

I watched the DCL video, and then after that there was some of 'America's Funniest Home Videos' – it was the perfect thing to show on the screens, as it got all of us laughing and smiling again!

Once at the airport, we had a short line to check-in.. this was our first ever flight with Jet Blue.

It was only about 10am, so we had plenty of time before our flight. We stopped in the food court for coffees, and DH had a doughnut. I switched on my phone and connected to the wifi for the first time in a week.. and watched as email after email pinged though (nothing of any importance, I really like being disconnected while on the cruise!)

We wandered around the shops, and then went through security about 11.30am, we decided to get an early lunch at 'South of the Border' – we had a sharing platter, it was nice – but we'd been a bit spoilt by all the amazing cruise food.

The 'worst ride in Orlando'... the monorail to the gates!

Soon it was time to find our gate and board the plane... we're shipping up to Boston!!

Old 12-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #174
georgiasmom
Mouseketeer

Looking forward to the Boston trip report. I live next to 2 major tourist sights. (Bunker Hill Monument and USS Constitution) Wonder if you walked past my house!

A
georgiasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #175
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Just caught up on a whole bunch of your updates! Congrats on your 5k and finishing 3rd...that's great! I'm not a runner at all - I can't imagine doing that. I bet it was a huge sense of accomplishment, though. Glad your DH ran with you.

Remy looks quite impressive! All that food is so cool-looking and creative. I'm glad you had another great meal there.

That was really nice of you to put together the gift bags for the crew members!

Can't wait to hear about Boston!
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Dugette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #176
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Well I've just finished reading your whole TR in one sitting!
What wonderful pictures and it really does look like you had a wonderful cruise
I hope you both enjoyed Boston, such a great city
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #177
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

What are nail extensions? Is that the same as acrylic nails?

Whoa! I don't recall ever seeing a bottle like that at Castaway before. Very neat!

I love your dress! And you have a nice sun-kissed glow too

What a great idea to show those funny videos on the way back to the airport! Brilliant.

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #178
dmwang9
Agent P's sidekick-in-training

Thanks for an awesome cruise recap. As someone who was on the same cruise, I really enjoyed reliving the memories through your eyes.

Now on to Boston!

-- Dave

DLR: off site (8/74), GC (2/01), DLH (10/07, Gay Days Anaheim), VGC (3/13), off site (12/13), off site (2/14)
WDW: Swan (7/03, Nimbus), CR (8/06), Dolphin (8/07), Swan (6/08), Swan (6/09), BWV (7/10), BWV (7/11), BWV (6/12), SSR (6/13), BWV (3/14, Flower and Garden)
Universal: Royal Pacific (7/10, Infinitus), Portofino Bay (7/12, Ascendio)
Cruises: Dream (7/11, 4 night Bahamas), Dream (6/12, PCC 3.0, 5 night Bahamas), Fantasy (6/13, 7 night W Caribbean)
ABD: DIS Backstage Magic (7/14)

Upcoming trips: DL Half Marathon (Aug 29-Sep 1, 2014), AKV (Oct 27-31, 2014)
dmwang9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #179
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiasmom View Post
Looking forward to the Boston trip report. I live next to 2 major tourist sights. (Bunker Hill Monument and USS Constitution) Wonder if you walked past my house!

A
Hi! Next part of our trip coming up soon... I wonder if we did walk past your house - loved that part of the city!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugette View Post
Just caught up on a whole bunch of your updates! Congrats on your 5k and finishing 3rd...that's great! I'm not a runner at all - I can't imagine doing that. I bet it was a huge sense of accomplishment, though. Glad your DH ran with you.

Remy looks quite impressive! All that food is so cool-looking and creative. I'm glad you had another great meal there.

That was really nice of you to put together the gift bags for the crew members!

Thanks for reading! I'm really pleased we did the 5k - although it was soo hot, it was so much fun.. I think I might be tempted to do it again on a future cruise
Remy is an amazing restaurant, great experience as well as wonderful food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Well I've just finished reading your whole TR in one sitting!
What wonderful pictures and it really does look like you had a wonderful cruise
I hope you both enjoyed Boston, such a great city
Thank you so much for reading!
The cruise was so amazing, can't believe it's already 6 months ago... Boston coming up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
What are nail extensions? Is that the same as acrylic nails?

Whoa! I don't recall ever seeing a bottle like that at Castaway before. Very neat!

I love your dress! And you have a nice sun-kissed glow too

What a great idea to show those funny videos on the way back to the airport! Brilliant.

Hi Lesha! Yes nail extensions are acrylics - I nearly always have them, although I've not for the last few months... miss having nice looking nails, but think my real nails needed a break!

Thank you, I really like that dress.. bought it last year in an outlet in Florida, it was such a bargain too! I think the sun-kissed glow was more DH, I was definitely a shade of pink that evening.. but the Remy lighting was very good

I have a pretty childish sense of humour, so those funny home videos were the perfect thing to cheer me up post-cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwang9 View Post
Thanks for an awesome cruise recap. As someone who was on the same cruise, I really enjoyed reliving the memories through your eyes.

Now on to Boston!

-- Dave
Thank you for reading along! I really enjoy writing about trips, another way to relive them

Emma x
Old 12-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #180
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 10... Boston...

Saturday 29th June 2013 – Boston MA

(I'll keep this part of the trip report quite brief, as it's not Disney, but there are lots of photos!)

The flight from MCO to Logan was really good – it was a bit bumpy, but the pilot told us it would be before take off, and took less time than planned – we landed just before 4pm.

They served my favourite iced tea onboard! I read some celebrity magazines I'd bought at the airport, and DH watched a live soccer game on the tv,

I liked flying up the coast line of the USA – and the landing into Boston was really pretty, not the city landscape we had expected.

We were quickly off the plane (it was nice for us not have to go through immigration again!), we got our bags and then got a taxi to our hotel – Loew's Back Bay Hotel on Stuart St.

The drive there was fun, seeing some of the sights I'd read about/seen in movies – after a while the taxi driver noticed my enthusiasm and asked if it was our first time in the city then he started to point out some things for us to look at!

Soon we were at our hotel and checking in, and then taken up to our room.

I don't know if it was after being on a cruise ship for a week – but we thought the room seemed huge!

View from the window...

The hotel used to be the police station, there were some photos on the walls of how it used to look – plus the bar was called 'cuffs'.

I unpacked, while DH watched some local baseball

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: