Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #31
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mt Kisco, NY
Posts: 1,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
No. Nobody agrees with you. You are wrong. You know how the tipping goes in this country and if you can't or won't tip accordingly you need to stick to fast food and take out. I would hate to be your server.
actually I agree with the thread starter so please, educate me how tipping works in this country????

is it mandatory to tip a specific amount to every server in every circumstance??? if i am at a buffet and get my own food while the server brings me only drinks am i obliged to tip as much as waiter/waitress who serves me a three course meal????

if a server offers terrible service am i obliged to tip them as much as another who may go above and beyond???
__________________
Zeppelin is offline  
Old 08-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #32
thornton0511
DIS Veteran
 
thornton0511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: east texas
Posts: 996

Something that has not been brought up in this wonderful discussion so far is the fact that at some restaurants servers HAVE to "tip out" other positions based on the amount of their sales at the end of the shift. For example the bussers and the bartenders. If you have never worked in a restaurant you probably would not know this. So lets say the total for your meal was $100 and your server has to tip out the bartender and busser 1% of your total....$2 not much but that comes out of the server's own tips so if you do not tip at all your server just had to pay $2 to serve you...the higher your ticket total the more out of pocket your server is. Where I live servers get paid $2.13 an hour. So if I had to wait on you at that hourly rate and then pay an addition $2 of my own money to serve you that would not be comforting at all IMO.
__________________
Sept 2014 TR:In Progress There's No Place Like Home June 2014 TR:Summertime and Disneyland...Oo-De-Lally!! Dec 2012 TR: Jingle Bells...AKL...Disney for 10 Whole Days
Jenn(Me) DH DS(12) DD(8)
2011 Wyndham Bonnet Creek 2012 CBR 2013 POP/AKL 2014 Disneyland& POR/CSR
thornton0511 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #33
markmcalear
Mouseketeer
 
markmcalear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post

um- there's no fixed amount of tipping in the US....we tip what we want in this nation as well- the % is just a suggested amount....guess we're not the only one's who are ridiculous....
I have 5 kids so there are 7 of us in my party. At WDW this means I am automatically charged 18% even though 2 of my kids are under 3 and so require zero service from the waiter
__________________

markmcalear is offline  
Old 08-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #34
MolonLabe
DTOM
 
MolonLabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 856

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
No. Nobody agrees with you. You are wrong. You know how the tipping goes in this country and if you can't or won't tip accordingly you need to stick to fast food and take out. I would hate to be your server.
I agree.

I also think those people should tell their servers ahead of time they are going to stiff them.... If they don't think they are doing anything wrong then be up front about it.

It's only"fair".
__________________

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline  
Old 08-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #35
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mt Kisco, NY
Posts: 1,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnhaze View Post
Someone else who's cheap and likes screwing over hard working people, I see.
LOL- yup; and you just have all the answers for everything, don't you?

its actually called using your head and common sense...if someone offers you crappy service they should not receive the same % tip as someone who goes above and beyond....most reasonable people with working brain cells understand this....
__________________

Last edited by Zeppelin; 08-25-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Zeppelin is offline  
Old 08-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #36
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mt Kisco, NY
Posts: 1,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
I agree.

I also think those people should tell their servers ahead of time they are going to stiff them.... If they don't think they are doing anything wrong then be up front about it.

It's only"fair".
um- i don't think anyone is alleging you should purposely stiff any waiter/waitress rather the tip you leave should be based on the service you receive; but hey- that's just my take on it....

and while i agree with you that perpetually cheap people should be up front and tell the servers ahead of time, people should also be told ahead of time "we're putting you on table #6, but beware, the server there is crappy" so they have a chance to request a different spot...
__________________

Last edited by Zeppelin; 08-25-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Zeppelin is offline  
Old 08-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #37
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mt Kisco, NY
Posts: 1,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcalear View Post
I have 5 kids so there are 7 of us in my party. At WDW this means I am automatically charged 18% even though 2 of my kids are under 3 and so require zero service from the waiter
while i can't and won't speak for you or your family (unlike other posters in this thread who seem to know it all and make assumptions about others based on posts) often times little kids require more service from waiters/waitresses due to spills, generally messiness, etc (i was also a waiter out of college)...

also- while they automatically charge you 18% due to the size of your group i can only speculate that if you received really bad service and complained "my food was late, cold and three of us had the wrong order which took another 30 minutes to fix- i only want to leave 10%), WDW would have no issue with it...
__________________
Zeppelin is offline  
Old 08-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #38
mom2my3kids
Doesn't believe in the Tag Fairy
 
mom2my3kids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,229

Being a server I will tell you I have seen it numerous times, once out of the serving profession some servers revert back to being horrible tippers...Good service equals 15-20 percent of your bill..If you really were a server in the past you know this I dont understand why you needed to post
__________________
Myself 42, DH 45 , DD 21 , DS 17 , DS 11

Dec 14-20th 2013
Daytona/Universal/MNSSHP Sept 2011
Sept 2009 8 nights Pop Century
Sept 22nd-Sept 30th 2007 POP
October 2006, OKW,POP 6 night trip..
mom2my3kids is offline  
Old 08-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #39
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mt Kisco, NY
Posts: 1,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2my3kids View Post
Being a server I will tell you I have seen it numerous times, once out of the serving profession some servers revert back to being horrible tippers...Good service equals 15-20 percent of your bill..If you really were a server in the past you know this I dont understand why you needed to post
the thread author specifically mentioned "crappy" service....don't know that anyone, even those of us who have been told we're wrong and cheap, disagree with you that good service should be at the 20% level- but what about crappy service???
__________________
Zeppelin is offline  
Old 08-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #40
mom2my3kids
Doesn't believe in the Tag Fairy
 
mom2my3kids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,229

from what I read she states she does not feel she should have to tip on the amount of the bill, she stated it doesnt matter if you are serving a ten dollar burger or a hundred dollar shrimp sandwich you should not have to tip on the amount..Server has to pay taxes on the amount of the bill, so yes it does matter how much you tip..If you get bad service then leave less or in my eyes leave a penny, if you leave a penny the server knows they thought your service was bad..if you just leave abuck or two they think you are just cheap..Now me, its takes a horrible horrible server for me to leave less then twenty percent, but then again I am a server..
__________________
Myself 42, DH 45 , DD 21 , DS 17 , DS 11

Dec 14-20th 2013
Daytona/Universal/MNSSHP Sept 2011
Sept 2009 8 nights Pop Century
Sept 22nd-Sept 30th 2007 POP
October 2006, OKW,POP 6 night trip..
mom2my3kids is offline  
Old 08-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #41
darnheather
DIS Veteran
 
darnheather's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,112

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcalear View Post
In UK we tip whatever amount we feel the service was worth, there is no fixed cost at all.

A percentage of the bill is a ridiculous way of doing it.

Its just a product of the tipping culture in USA. They just wanna tip everyone for simply doing their job
And I'm sure servers in the UK actually make a living wage. If restaurants wanted to pay waitstaff a living wage then the price of the meal would increase overall. So we pay tips and that makes us feel good because we know it's going directly to the person who served us not to the management/owners. It works in the US for those reasons. In the end though the price would be the same if not more if we didn't tip.

I know this thread is going to get locked, but I have to say not tipping at all just sounds mean and stingy to me. As a waiter didn't you (OP) ever have a bad day? Accidentally spill the soup, focused on bills so you forgot to bring out the bread? Service would have to be non-existent (to the point I had to get up and get my own drinks, ask the kitchen for my food, etc) before I tipped less than 15%. 20% is my norm.
__________________
D13 and Izzy8 DisneyParis 2006, DisneySea 2010, DisneyWorld 2013

No trips planned for now but fingers crossed for DCL in 2015.
darnheather is offline  
Old 08-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #42
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mt Kisco, NY
Posts: 1,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2my3kids View Post
from what I read she states she does not feel she should have to tip on the amount of the bill, she stated it doesnt matter if you are serving a ten dollar burger or a hundred dollar shrimp sandwich you should not have to tip on the amount..Server has to pay taxes on the amount of the bill, so yes it does matter how much you tip..If you get bad service then leave less or in my eyes leave a penny, if you leave a penny the server knows they thought your service was bad..if you just leave abuck or two they think you are just cheap..Now me, its takes a horrible horrible server for me to leave less then twenty percent, but then again I am a server..
correct- she used it as a lead into an example of getting crappy service...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkyluvsmickey View Post
I know i am gonna get flamed for this but i really dont feel i should let the amount of my meal decide how much i should be obliged to leave the waitstaff. I have prevously waitressed in my past and i understood that the guest has no legal responsability to tip me for my service they are only required to pay for their meal. I accepted the position knowing the sad pay i would be receiving and still chose to accept the position. If i get crappy service on a $ 100 meal i am not going to leave more than a $5 tip maybe because the cost of my meal does not reflect on the service i received. It took the waitress the same effort to bring me a 10 dollar meal as it did to bring a 100 dollar one. Does anyone agree with me?
it reads to me its about the quality of service...
__________________
Zeppelin is offline  
Old 08-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #43
ABtwinmommy
Mouseketeer
 
ABtwinmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnhaze View Post
Calling you cheap is an observation, not an attack. You're trying to do some internet debate kung fu here to cover up the fact that you're wrong. Tipping works the way it works whether or not cheap tightwads like it. If you want to pretend you got bad service to screw your server out of wages, that's on your karma, not mine.

Have a nice life being cheap. Maybe don't eat at sit down restaurants if you don't like tipping. The dollar menu at McD's might be more your style.
Who is pretending? Have you not ever received terrible service before?

I tip based on the service I recieve. 18-22% for satisfactory service. More for great service. Less for bad service. 99% of the time service is satisfactory or better. But on the rare occasion I receive really bad service, yes my tip will reflect that. I don't think that makes me cheap. Tips are not mandatory. I am not going to hand money to someone that made my dining experience terrible, sorry. And waitstaff should know that goes with the territory of the job they CHOSE to take. If you want a good tip from me then do a good job. I realize that many times they get stiffed from people they work hard to serve. Again, goes with the territory. Sorry for those people but that has nothing to do with me or the tip I leave. For me, good job = good tip. Bad job = bad tip. And I do mean a truly bad job. I am not nitpicky to justify leaving a bad tip, by any stretch of the imagination.

That said, I have to agree with the OP. I don't really get why the "rule" is a percentage of the bill necessarily. Especially at buffets where the "serving" is minimal. That is not to say I don't follow the "rule" (except with very poor service as stated above). But I don't really agree with it. Why should the tip be based on the price of food at a given restaurant? What does that have to do with the effort of the waitstaff necessarily?
__________________
(Me) (DH) (DD 4) (DS 4)
--------------------------------------------------------------
February 1998-WL ~ March 2003-Offsite ~ April 2005-Offsite ~ July 2006-Offsite ~ March 2012-POFQ ~ February 2013-POFQ
Planning next trip to my happy place ~ Jan/Feb 2014-CR/BC
ABtwinmommy is offline  
Old 08-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #44
nikkyluvsmickey
DIS Veteran
 
nikkyluvsmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: long island
Posts: 637

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornton0511 View Post
Something that has not been brought up in this wonderful discussion so far is the fact that at some restaurants servers HAVE to "tip out" other positions based on the amount of their sales at the end of the shift. For example the bussers and the bartenders. If you have never worked in a restaurant you probably would not know this. So lets say the total for your meal was $100 and your server has to tip out the bartender and busser 1% of your total....$2 not much but that comes out of the server's own tips so if you do not tip at all your server just had to pay $2 to serve you...the higher your ticket total the more out of pocket your server is. Where I live servers get paid $2.13 an hour. So if I had to wait on you at that hourly rate and then pay an addition $2 of my own money to serve you that would not be comforting at all IMO.
I am well aware of tipping out policy and you are incorrect the restaraunt does not go by what tip u were expected to receive they take the percent from your actually total from the evening. So if i received 100 bucks for the night they take the percent from that not from the expected tip per check that is rediculous
__________________
nikkyluvsmickey is offline  
Old 08-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #45
nervous1sttimer
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkyluvsmickey View Post
I am well aware of tipping out policy and you are incorrect the restaraunt does not go by what tip u were expected to receive they take the percent from your actually total from the evening. So if i received 100 bucks for the night they take the percent from that not from the expected tip per check that is rediculous
You might think it is "rediculous" but it's actually how it works in 99% of restaurants. If it doesn't work that way where you work, consider yourself lucky (or ask yourself why your restaurant doesn't work the same way as 99% of other restaurants and does that say something about the establishment's quality/business practices).

Do you know how many people would lie about their tips if they could tip-out bar and kitchen only on their take? Management makes it a percentage of sales for a reason. Patrons like you screw servers. Servers like you screw bartenders. Been there, seen that.
nervous1sttimer is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.