Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
disneyfan2kids
DIS Veteran

DDP for one night only? Is this a cost savings?

Coming in 12/31 for a 6 night stay. First night is on cash... remainder is a different stay booked on DVC points.

We never do DDP... we use TIW and it works to be much cheaper for us. BUT TIW is blacked out on 12/31 and 01/01... and since that is 2 nights of our 6 nights... I'm not sure it'll be worth it for us to do TIW this time around. In fact, I was thinking of stacking our most expensive meals on 12/31 and 01/01 and simply doing the DDP for that first night (it's a cash stay anyway - so I'm pretty sure I can do it for only 1 night.)

So, If I do DDP for 12/31 and I do the "deluxe" version I will get 3 TS meals, correct? So if I book HDDR (2 TS) on NYE and O'hana dinner on 01/01. That would be my 3 TS. Cost is $104 per adult. I think that's cheaper than paying OOP for these 2 meals... plus I'd get the refillable mug for each person as well. Am I thinking correctly? HDDR is about $70 per adult, and O'Hana is about $60 per adult. That's $130 right there... not including the mug/snacks that would come with DDP that one night. Correct? Cheaper, right? Or am I missing something?

Also - I'm not sure if the cost of these 2 meals will raise considerably for 12/31 and 01/01 (holiday dining) BUT that wouldn't matter if I had DDP...right?

Does this sound like a plan that makes sense...or am I missing something?

disneyfan2kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Hm, I keep waffling on this. Credits are per night. They start when you check in and expire at midnight the day you check-out or expire when you check into your next hotel. It seems like you could as long as you don't check into the DVC until after your dinner at 'Ohana but I'm no expert.

No trips planned for now but fingers crossed for DCL in 2015.
darnheather is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
disneyfan2kids
DIS Veteran

I keep thinking there must be something wrong with my math...because it definitely seems like a pretty significant cost savings to do this.

Because my 1st night is cash..and remainder is DVC... I've been told that I will officially have to "check-out" and "check-in" the next day. I will be given new room keys as well. So I will still have my 1st room keys to pay for DDP meals thru Midnight on 01/01. I "think"...LOL!

Old 08-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
marsh0013
i want to drive the zamboni

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
Hm, I keep waffling on this. Credits are per night. They start when you check in and expire at midnight the day you check-out or expire when you check into your next hotel. It seems like you could as long as you don't check into the DVC until after your dinner at 'Ohana but I'm no expert.
Credits don't expire until midnight of checkout day regardless of whether you check into a new hotel or not. As long as you have a separate reservation the first night, you can do the deluxe plan for just 1 night and use the credits over 2 days. So OP could definitely use 2 the first night for Hoop and then 1 the next night for Ohana. I would double check the price of Ohana though. I think it's closer to $40 per person. I could be wrong and I'm not sure of the holiday charge. But then I think the dining plan also goes up at holidays.

And for that first night cash reservation, are you an annual passholder or is it cash discount through DVC? You can't add a dining plan to just any room without a ticket package unless its through DVC or an annual pass. Military I think also has the option. Not sure if any others.

~Yacht Club June 2014~Coronado December 2013~BWV October 2013~BCV April 2013~ASSp, BCV, BWV Oct/Nov 2012~AKV & BWV May 2012~ASSp & BWV October 2011~Pop Century June 2011~BWV & POFQ February 2011~SSR November 2010~Yacht Club CL & BWV May 2010~BWI Club Level October 2009~Swan June 2009~Pop Century March 2009~Pop Century November 2008~Pop Century August 2008~Pop Century Apr/May 2008~Celebration November 2007~Celebration September 2007~POLYNESIAN August 2007~Celebration November 20, 2006~10 or so trips growing up offsite (grandparent's house)~
i love the 50's prime time cafe!

June 2009 BDay Solo Dining Report Mar 2009 Solo Dining Report
Nov 2008 Solo Dining Report Nov 2008 Solo Trip to Pop
Family Trip Dining Report, August 2008 Family Trip to Pop Report, Aug 13-20
Solo Deluxe Dining, Apr/May 2008 Solo Pop Apr 30-May 7 Trip Report
marsh0013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
disneyfan2kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh0013 View Post
Credits don't expire until midnight of checkout day regardless of whether you check into a new hotel or not. As long as you have a separate reservation the first night, you can do the deluxe plan for just 1 night and use the credits over 2 days. So OP could definitely use 2 the first night for Hoop and then 1 the next night for Ohana. I would double check the price of Ohana though. I think it's closer to $40 per person. I could be wrong and I'm not sure of the holiday charge. But then I think the dining plan also goes up at holidays.

And for that first night cash reservation, are you an annual passholder or is it cash discount through DVC? You can't add a dining plan to just any room without a ticket package unless its through DVC or an annual pass. Military I think also has the option. Not sure if any others.
Cash night with DVC Discount... points stay starts the next day. Reservations are "separate" though... so I should be good to add DxDP on that first night...correct?

Old 08-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
DummbGiRL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan2kids View Post
Cash night with DVC Discount... points stay starts the next day. Reservations are "separate" though... so I should be good to add DxDP on that first night...correct?
Sounds correct! I'd call our at least have a quick chat with a Disney agent. And by quick I mean, a 15-30 mins because this seems like they'll have to look some things up (cost of the 'holiday' meals, etc).

I'm not a DDP user, but I've done the math and if I WERE to do it (especially if I were celebrating / holidaying), I would definitely do the DxDP as it seems like the plan where you can for sure save money if you use it all. Problem is using it all! Over one or two nights, easy. I'd do it if I were you!

* Dec 2007 - CBR * Nov 2010 - OKW * Sept 2011 - CSR, SOLO Trip * May 2013 - DL, offsite * Oct 2013 - YC, F&W weekend * Dec 2014 - BCV *

DummbGiRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan2kids View Post
I'm not sure this one qualifies you for pkg-less dining plan. Are you the DVC member or are you renting points/paying cash to a DVC member? If you're not the member, and the two ressies are through the same person, I'd contact them to see if you can add the plan to that first night.

As to the cost....HDDR is either $59 or $62 depending in the category and Ohana is $42.60. So you will essentially get two snacks and a mug for free.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
disneyfan2kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post

I'm not sure this one qualifies you for pkg-less dining plan. Are you the DVC member or are you renting points/paying cash to a DVC member? If you're not the member, and the two ressies are through the same person, I'd contact them to see if you can add the plan to that first night.

As to the cost....HDDR is either $59 or $62 depending in the category and Ohana is $42.60. So you will essentially get two snacks and a mug for free.
I am a DVC member... Staying on a DVC cash discount for that one night.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If you booked the one night reservtion through DVC member services you do not need to buy tickets to add a dining plan.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: