Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
Bete
DIS Veteran

Question How do you go to the airport with your stroller?

Sorry, this is my first time in this situation.

Are you allowed to take the stroller to the plane or do you check it in as luggage right off before you go to security? We don't have a handicap child.

Does Disney deliver the stroller to your room like all your other luggage if you do Magical Express?

Does anyone not tag their stroller for Magical Express and instead claim your stroller at baggage claim in Orlando?

The mom in this instant is very petite and carrying a three year old all over the airport doesn't sound like fun. Do you have any suggestions? There's no one else to help.

Is it just better to rent at Disney or an outside vendor and not bring a stroller. I'm afraid getting out of the parks and on the buses would be too much walking for this child.

I need all the help you can give; I'm clueless, here.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

I don't know if you can check it at the curb or if ME will handle it.

But, I've seen families going through security with strollers at several different airports, you just fold up the stroller and put it through x-ray (if it will fit, if not they wand it and swab it and all sorts of things). You should be able to take it all the way to the gate, and then they tag it and put it away for you, and you retrieve it after landing.

Renting from off-site is probably cheaper than renting from Disney if you decide not to bring yours. Plus, I'm not well-versed in strollers, but Disney's look really clunky and strangely designed. The off-site rentals look a lot more normal.
dawnhaze is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
scard192
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete View Post
Sorry, this is my first time in this situation.

Are you allowed to take the stroller to the plane or do you check it in as luggage right off before you go to security? We don't have a handicap child.

Does Disney deliver the stroller to your room like all your other luggage if you do Magical Express?

Does anyone not tag their stroller for Magical Express and instead claim your stroller at baggage claim in Orlando?

The mom in this instant is very petite and carrying a three year old all over the airport doesn't sound like fun. Do you have any suggestions? There's no one else to help.

Is it just better to rent at Disney or an outside vendor and not bring a stroller. I'm afraid getting out of the parks and on the buses would be too much walking for this child.

I need all the help you can give; I'm clueless, here.
we gate check it at the airport. Leave it at the end of the jetway before we get on the plane and its waiting for us there when we arrive at our destination.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
Bete
DIS Veteran

Question What do you do to gate check a stroller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard192 View Post
we gate check it at the airport. Leave it at the end of the jetway before we get on the plane and its waiting for us there when we arrive at our destination.
This basically answers how you can use a stroller in the airport and thanks for the info.

Now, I need to know how do you gate check. Do you go up to the gate steward of your plane and handle this there? Is this something you need to do elsewhere?

Thanks again.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
scard192
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This basically answers how you can use a stroller in the airport and thanks for the info.

Now, I need to know how do you gate check. Do you go up to the gate steward of your plane and handle this there? Is this something you need to do elsewhere?

Thanks again.
take it to the counter at your gate and they will tag it for you.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

I work for an airline and we do it like this. When you check-in, you get a "gate check" tag or something like that. You go thru security. ( you will need to collapse the stroller and put it on the belt).at the gate either you will see them collecting them at the gate ( in the bldg) or you hand it to the ramp guy at the end of the jetway, before the Aircraft door.
When arriving you normally get your stroller back at the same places.. Always ask as each airport does their own thing dependiing on jetways, if there is any elevator for ramp guys or not. You could also check them.. but then what is the point of bring one?
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
ammag
DIS Veteran

Love gate check! We use a bag that is made for gate check to protect the stroller a bit, I think it was around $15 and found at baby stores. Also easy to make if you sew. Ours is bright red nylon folds up into a little pouch so easy to carry while using stroller. We use this for stroller and car seat when checking that!
ammag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
Bete
DIS Veteran

Are you able to get a gate check tag at curb service for a stroller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan73 View Post
I work for an airline and we do it like this. When you check-in, you get a "gate check" tag or something like that. You go thru security. ( you will need to collapse the stroller and put it on the belt).at the gate either you will see them collecting them at the gate ( in the bldg) or you hand it to the ramp guy at the end of the jetway, before the Aircraft door.
When arriving you normally get your stroller back at the same places.. Always ask as each airport does their own thing dependiing on jetways, if there is any elevator for ramp guys or not. You could also check them.. but then what is the point of bring one?
Usually, I do curb service for luggage. Can I gate check the stroller there or do I need to do it somewhere else.

Sorry, but I'm really lost here. We don't fly that often.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
tarak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Usually, I do curb service for luggage. Can I gate check the stroller there or do I need to do it somewhere else.

Sorry, but I'm really lost here. We don't fly that often.
If you want the stroller with you up and until you board the plane, you do not want to check it curbside. Gate checking the stroller happens at the gate right before you board. I assume if you have the magical express tags for the stroller, disney would pick it up for you with the rest of your luggage and deliver it to the resort. However, you would not have it with you for any travel in the airport, at the resort, or anywhere until the rest of your luggage is delivered. You could always check at the front desk to see if your luggage has arrived and is waiting to be delivered to your room. We did that our last trip and were able to retrieve something from one of our bags before heading to DTD.

It might change from airport to airport, but this is what I've done every time I've flown with a stroller (and I can't even count how many times I've done it). Same procedure in Harrisburg, Philly, Chicago, Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Francisco, and Orlando. Assuming you keep your stroller with you until you board, when you get to the gate, go to the counter. Ask for a tag to gate check your stroller. Don't wait until you're boarding to get the tag - it's annoying to everyone behind you who wants to board because they're delayed while you get the tag. Once you have the tag on your stroller (airline employees usually do it for you), wait to board. Once you're boarding (have your ticket scanned and walk through the chute), you fold the stroller at the end of the ramp and leave it there. When you get off the plane, wait at the same area and they'll bring it to you when they've unloaded all the other strollers and gate checked items. Chances are, there will be someone else with a stroller flying on the plane. You can always ask them for advice about what to do.

Hope this helps.
tarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
delmar411
DIS Veteran

You do not EVER want to check your stroller with your luggage! It will end up ruined.

You stroll it right up to the airplane and leave it right outside the door(collapse it) and it will be in the same place when you land (you might have to wait a few mins if you are quick off the plane). It's called gate checking and the gate attendant will give you a tag for it before you get in the boarding line so ask when you arrive at the gate for the tag.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
scrappinannie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard192 View Post
We have done this, too. Makes it a bit easier to transport your child and their things through the airport, especially if you're in a hurry.

How old is your child? Since it's just you I might bring your own stroller just to make traveling a bit easier on you. But we have rented a stroller in the past from an outside of Disney stroller company and I highly recommend doing that. They'll deliver the stroller to your resort and pick it up when you leave. Only disadvantage is you won't have it for the airport. Or, if you don't like dealing with the stroller using Disney transportation (the folding, carrying, jostling child and stroller contents while fighting to get on a bus, for example)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: