Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
mrsparker13
Mouseketeer

Dining Plan Question

We will be in Disney next month and have the Free Regular Dining Plan. We are checking in on Sunday and out on Friday. We are not heading home on check out day but rather using it as a MK day and driving towards home a little ways before we stop and get a hotel room.

My question is how many TS, QS, and Snack credits will we get? Does it go by how many nights I stay or check in to check out?

I have already made my dining reservations for all 6 days but now I'm not sure the meals on my last day there will be covered and may have to rearrange some things to pay out of pocket for some meals.
mrsparker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Always by nights. If you are staying 5 nights you will receive 5 TS, 5 CS and 5 snacks per person.

They will expire at midnight AFTER you have checked out. So you can use any leftover credits all day on Friday - if you have any left over. If you have booked 6 TS you will need to pay out of pocket for one (or more if you have 2 credit restaurants booked).
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
mrsparker13
Mouseketeer

Ok thanks for clearing that up for me! The way I have it planned we will need to pay out of pocket for 2 TS meals but are good on QS and snack credits. Here are the TS that I have, which would be best to pay for (cheapest)?

Biergarten (lunch)
Akershus (dinner)
Coral Reef (lunch)
Raglan Road (lunch)
Sci-Fi (dinner)
Rainforest Cafe (dinner)
Ohana (breakfast)
Old 08-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
dminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsparker13 View Post
Ok thanks for clearing that up for me! The way I have it planned we will need to pay out of pocket for 2 TS meals but are good on QS and snack credits. Here are the TS that I have, which would be best to pay for (cheapest)?

Biergarten (lunch)
Akershus (dinner)
Coral Reef (lunch)
Raglan Road (lunch)
Sci-Fi (dinner)
Rainforest Cafe (dinner)
Ohana (breakfast)
To figure that out, you can look on allears.net for menus and pricing to see what you're likely to order. I would suggest paying OOP for one of the meals where you order off a menu instead of one where it's a buffet. That way if you decide to skip the dessert or share an entree or whatever, it's money you save. At the buffet places, everyone will pay the same price no matter what, so those are probably better for the DDP.
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
cathy jane
Earning My Ears

Rainforest cafe might be the cheapest. You can check menus and figure out what you would order and go from there. I too booked one too many and rainforest cafe was my cheapest one.
cathy jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

I agree with others to check out the menus first. I would think either Rainforest or Sci-Fi would be your cheapest options.

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
mrsparker13
Mouseketeer

Yeah we already knew we would be paying for 1TS oop but now it's 2 bc I will not cancel any of them! Lol. I believe we will pay for Raglan Road and Rainforest Cafe. I had been looking at the Laundry select member rewards card for RFC. Anybody have that and could give reviews on it? It cost $25 to sign up but you get an instant $25 credit on your account. Plus you get $25 for your bday month (which would be while we are there). So technically I could pay the $25 and end up with $50 to spend there, is this correct?
Old 08-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
dutch244
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Yeah we already knew we would be paying for 1TS oop but now it's 2 bc I will not cancel any of them! Lol. I believe we will pay for Raglan Road and Rainforest Cafe. I had been looking at the Laundry select member rewards card for RFC. Anybody have that and could give reviews on it? It cost $25 to sign up but you get an instant $25 credit on your account. Plus you get $25 for your bday month (which would be while we are there). So technically I could pay the $25 and end up with $50 to spend there, is this correct?
The fine print looks like you cant redeem both at once
dutch244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
mrsparker13
Mouseketeer

Darn!!! That figures! Oh well. That one will still probably be an oop!
Old 08-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
MarkF0wle
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

Looking at what you've got ADRs for already I'd say the two cheapest things to pay OOP for would be the Ohana breakfast & Biergarten lunch.

I know the prices are going up as of about now, but they were both in the $20-$25 dollar range for an adult all you can eat & $15 range for kids. So both of them you could escape with a bill of less than $100 for a family of 4.

I don't think you're doing that anywhere for dinner on Disney property.

Disney's All-Star Sports/Disney Dream/Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort - April 2015
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort - May 2014 | Disney's Old Key West Resort - May 2013
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort - May 2012 | Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa - May 2011, August 2010, August 2008 | Bahama Bay Resort - August 2006
Resident's Inn - August 2002 | Double Tree Resort - August 2004, August 2001, August 1999, August 1997 | Fantasy Villas - August 1996, August 1993, April 1991
MarkF0wle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #11
mrsparker13
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF0wle View Post
Looking at what you've got ADRs for already I'd say the two cheapest things to pay OOP for would be the Ohana breakfast & Biergarten lunch.

I know the prices are going up as of about now, but they were both in the $20-$25 dollar range for an adult all you can eat & $15 range for kids. So both of them you could escape with a bill of less than $100 for a family of 4.

I don't think you're doing that anywhere for dinner on Disney property.
I would think those 2 would be the expensive ones. I am figuring $50 for lunch at Raglan Road, and $50 for RFC if we don't get dessert. Of course I haven't eaten at any of these but looking at the menus that's what I've gathered.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
mrsparker13
Mouseketeer

Oh and we are a family of 4 with 2 adults and 2 children (7&2). Little one will eat off of adult plates or share a kids meal with big sis!
Old 08-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

You do NOT want to pay OOP for your 7 yr old at any of the buffets. The price of the buffet is either right at or above what you pay for them for the entire day, so their QS and snack are free. Prices at a la cartes for kiddos is $10.

The price of Ohana breakfast is right around $25, so if either of you are going to spend more than that at your a la carte places, you'll want to pay OOP for at least one adult at Ohana.

There is one other line of thought on when/where to pay OOP vs. DDP and that is to not pay any OOP until the end of your trip as you never know what might come up. You may decide you don't want that last dinner or breakfast just because you're fooded out, but if you've already paid OOP and still have credits, you feel you HAVE to or lose that money.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
dutch244
Earning My Ears

I may have been wrong about doubling rewards...maybe call rainforest to check?
dutch244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #15
MarkF0wle
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

Quote:
I would think those 2 would be the expensive ones. I am figuring $50 for lunch at Raglan Road, and $50 for RFC if we don't get dessert. Of course I haven't eaten at any of these but looking at the menus that's what I've gathered.
It all really depends on what you eat & planning to eat. If you're going to be eating the cheaper dishes on the menu then you can make 2 of your TS meals relatively cheap. My assumption was based around the fact you get a dessert on the dining plan so what it would cost to buy the same meal at those restaurants. If you're not going to be eating deserts at the two OOP meals your math is probably spot on.

My thinking was that both Raglan & RFC have adult entrees in the $18-$25 range alone. Then a drink & a desert would push in to nearer $30 an adult. Whereas Ohana is only $22.50 all in & Biergarten $23.50 all in which would be less than just the cost of a steak at Raglan or RFC.

Kids wise, the point above is valid. SciFi & Coral Reef have the standard kids menus so that's like $12, I think either buffet would be around $15. So you can save a few dollars that way.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a Economics & Maths geek & I did a study on Disney Dining prices for one of my studies. For those nerdy enough to to be interested here's the average costs for 2 adults & 1 kid (I discounted the youngest as he/she would get a free pass!):

'Ohana (Breakfast) - $57.48
Biergarten (Lunch) - $59.61
Raglan Road (Lunch) - $71.11 | $53.01 without dessert
Coral Reef (Lunch) - $78.69 | $61.67 without dessert
Akershus (Dinner) - $109.66
Sci-Fi Theater (Dinner) - $66.76 | $51.17 without dessert
Rainforest Cafe (Dinner) - $85.35 | $63.37 without dessert

These are all the old prices as not everywhere has updated pricing yet, include tax but not tip.

If anybody is interested to have a play around on the spreadsheet I created as part of my project just shoot me a PM & I'll email you a copy.

Disney's All-Star Sports/Disney Dream/Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort - April 2015
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort - May 2014 | Disney's Old Key West Resort - May 2013
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort - May 2012 | Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa - May 2011, August 2010, August 2008 | Bahama Bay Resort - August 2006
Resident's Inn - August 2002 | Double Tree Resort - August 2004, August 2001, August 1999, August 1997 | Fantasy Villas - August 1996, August 1993, April 1991
MarkF0wle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: