Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
shelbyff
Earning My Ears

Question Airline employee discounts

Does anyone know why Disney eliminated airline employee discounts? Have you heard if and when they could return?
shelbyff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

Simple - why offer discounts if you don't them to entice business?
TheRustyScupper is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
apehat02
Earning My Ears

It's very simple, when was the last time you saw an ad for "The Official Airline of Walt Disney World"? Disney Parks would have no reason to cut an airline employee a break if they weren't getting something in return, like cooperative advertising from their company. The airlines also used to extend travel discounts to Disney employees too, which also ended with the marketing and advertising agreements.
apehat02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by apehat02 View Post
It's very simple, when was the last time you saw an ad for "The Official Airline of Walt Disney World"? Disney Parks would have no reason to cut an airline employee a break if they weren't getting something in return, like cooperative advertising from their company. The airlines also used to extend travel discounts to Disney employees too, which also ended with the marketing and advertising agreements.
i think that about does it...

it seems there is no need for these co-op arrangements anymore. I have a few work acquaintances who used to own travel agencies in the 70s,80s,90s...
they all had to sell/give them up around 2000 because the game changed...airlines no longer giving commissions being the big one.

travel became accessible to the masses easily via the internet...just as booking airline flights now took 30 seconds from home and everybody uses credit when not that long ago probably half as many people did.

there just is no angle to disney giving discounts anymore in some areas.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
i think that about does it...

it seems there is no need for these co-op arrangements anymore. I have a few work acquaintances who used to own travel agencies in the 70s,80s,90s...
they all had to sell/give them up around 2000 because the game changed...airlines no longer giving commissions being the big one.

travel became accessible to the masses easily via the internet...just as booking airline flights now took 30 seconds from home and everybody uses credit when not that long ago probably half as many people did.

there just is no angle to disney giving discounts anymore in some areas.
DCL still offers them. Universal resort offers them. Almost every hotel and resort offers some kind of Airline employee discount. I don't know why Disney got rid of them, but I don't think it's the norm among the travel industry.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post

DCL still offers them. Universal resort offers them. Almost every hotel and resort offers some kind of Airline employee discount. I don't know why Disney got rid of them, but I don't think it's the norm among the travel industry.
I'm oversimplifying...

But maybe you want to consider that the King doesn't have to follow the same rules as the subjects?

Dcl is still not cranking the way they wanted it to...just as DVC didnt sell as projected in the 1990's. they kept the prices comparatively low and offered incentives...until they weren't needed...
Enjoy those $160 points nowadays...

Universal is competing from well behind... It makes sense for them.
Hotels and airlines are available by the handfuls...the market dictates Incentives.

Disney has never really had a problem filling WDW...some slow times...but the recent years have been an exception as far as consistent discounts. But they are doing their business a little different based on a new model... So a discount doesn't necessarily lead to reduced revenues.

I think this debate can have alot to do with apples and oranges.

Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

Old 08-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I'm oversimplifying...

But maybe you want to consider that the King doesn't have to follow the same rules as the subjects?

Dcl is still not cranking the way they wanted it to...just as DVC didnt sell as projected in the 1990's. they kept the prices comparatively low and offered incentives...until they weren't needed...
Enjoy those $160 points nowadays...

Universal is competing from well behind... It makes sense for them.
Hotels and airlines are available by the handfuls...the market dictates Incentives.

Disney has never really had a problem filling WDW...some slow times...but the recent years have been an exception as far as consistent discounts. But they are doing their business a little different based on a new model... So a discount doesn't necessarily lead to reduced revenues.

I think this debate can have alot to do with apples and oranges.
Well Disney offered them for years, and had no trouble filling their rooms. I was told it because they all ready offered similar discounts to the public, and most people want the dining plan which you could never get with an interline rate. None of my coworkers ever go to Disney. I don't know one airline employee other then myself that ever goes. There a lots of options out there for interline travel. It could be Disney wasn't selling enough rooms to airline employees to be worth while. I guess we'll never know.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
OKWJan
Mouseketeer

No airline discounts for Disney employees either .
OKWJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
KCharming
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by apehat02 View Post
You clearly haven't seen the Alaska Airlines plane painted with the fab five on the tail and the phrase follow me to Disneyland on the side of the aircraft.
KCharming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCharming View Post

You clearly haven't seen the Alaska Airlines plane painted with the fab five on the tail and the phrase follow me to Disneyland on the side of the aircraft.
That's kinda small potatoes isn't it?

And a key difference is "Disneyland" which has always had a different kind of clientele.

Wdw is much bigger, self sustaining, and typically has people on long (7 on average) stays...alot from Europe and Latin america

Disneyland is more regional base, shorter stays, and in need of more attention to drawing people in for return business.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: