Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #31
Danhockey04
Mouseketeer

I just did it 2 weeks ago on the fantasy and they were giving out medals. Also another bit of info is that since rD took the race over, a new medallion, the plastic kind given out at rD 5k will be created for this race, we heard that from those in charge of the race.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #32
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmom0f2 View Post
I've heard they may not be giving medals out any longer, anyone run CC 5K recently and still receive one? Nice souvies, wanting to run for one on our next cruise.
My kids and I got bibs and medals last week when we ran it during our 4 night Dream cruise.

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #33
johnnyblz20
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nally View Post

My kids and I got bibs and medals last week when we ran it during our 4 night Dream cruise.
We're they plastic or the metal ones?
2011 - Swan
2012 - Beach Club, Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 - Wilderness Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk Inn, 7 night WC FANTASY CRUISE
2014 - Caribbean Beach
johnnyblz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #34
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdodo View Post
my d/d is interested in the run , where do we get info on $ amount and where to sign up? is it only on board or do u sign up in advance? thanks
It's gratis. And you sign up on board, the same day in one of the pubs in 4th floor, but be sure to check the navigator.
Coldflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #35
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyblz20 View Post
We're they plastic or the metal ones?
Yes, cheesey Mickey plastic ones. They all say "Winner!" Run it for the fun, though, not the medal.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #36
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmom0f2 View Post
I've heard they may not be giving medals out any longer, anyone run CC 5K recently and still receive one? Nice souvies, wanting to run for one on our next cruise.
Where did you hear it?

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #37
NC State
DIS Veteran

I just ran it on Tuesday (9/10) and they are plastic with a winner ribbon. I was very proud of mine!

Oct 5-10, 2014 Pop /Wonder cruise Apr 26-May 1, 2015/
Dream cruise Sept 8-12, 2013
/Feb, 2013 Pop /Sept 2012 AoA(LM)/Feb 2012 WL /Sept 2011 CSR /
Dec 2010 ASMu/Sept 2009 ASMu / Sept 2008 Pop/ May 2007 POR/
Oct-Nov 2006 Pop /Sept-Oct 2005 Pop/Sept 2003 CBR /May 1994 off site
NC State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #38
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldflame View Post
Yes, cheesey Mickey plastic ones. They all say "Winner!" Run it for the fun, though, not the medal.
NOT cheesy at all! Yes, they were plastic, but they were cute and a nice token to receive for a FREE run! We were very happy with ours!

Sheesh! What do you people think the $50-$100 registration fee is for runDisney events? It's partially for you to BUY YOURSELF a medal! I'd rather have a cute, plastic Mickey medal for free and use my money to reward myself with a Konk Kooler!!!

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #39
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

There's nothing wrong with calling it cheesy, IMO. I can like it AND think it's cheesy AND appreciate the free medal all at the same time. Doubt I'm alone, either.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #40
Ccann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720

They were at the beginning of July.

Maybe they were out and awaiting a new supply? Since people don't sign up months in advance, they don't really have a set number to order (especially if they're being used for other things on board), and if there's any kind of delay in the manufacturing or shipping process, they may not have any for a cruise or two?
I dont think they would run out. The plastic medals look like they have a sticker in the middle (mylar). A real custom metal medal would take about 8 weeks starting from scratch. (No molds) And not on a rush order.The mickey heads wouldnt take as long to produce. The mylar stickers can be done in less than 24 hours. Generic medals take about 5days to get in. So maybe they are trying to come up with a whole new design or a different give away. I dont think it is production. Just based on my experience I order 10000 medals a year for my events. I buy custom medals so I create one design a year and order enough for all of my events. If I need more they still have the mold on file.. its cheaper to come up with a custom to fit your needs verses buying a generic a different design for each event. This way I can order months in advance instead of the week of and save money.. not that everyone really needed to know this just popped in my mind...

I am excited to run and get any token no matter how cheap it is.. it says I did it.. I am not a long distance runner so it would be a great experience for me to do it...excited to see the island again.. 12 weeks before the 5k...
Ccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #41
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nally View Post
NOT cheesy at all! Yes, they were plastic, but they were cute and a nice token to receive for a FREE run! We were very happy with ours!

Sheesh! What do you people think the $50-$100 registration fee is for runDisney events? It's partially for you to BUY YOURSELF a medal! I'd rather have a cute, plastic Mickey medal for free and use my money to reward myself with a Konk Kooler!!!
No money in the world is going to buy you a finisher medal unless you bust your butt running 26.2 miles Not to sound elitist, but most runners do it for the feat of finishing a long distance race, not the medal -- unless it's Boston, in which case, I'd have the finisher medal burn stamped on my chest :D But, to run and qualify you need to be able to run a 2:20 full Marathon to have a decent chance at getting in which is outrageous.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #42
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
There's nothing wrong with calling it cheesy, IMO. I can like it AND think it's cheesy AND appreciate the free medal all at the same time. Doubt I'm alone, either.
I ran it, my DD loved the medal, so it was a win-win. I had fun, she got the toy medal. But, it looks cheesey and cheaply built. I'd honestly prefer if they gave away a cheapo CC 5K tshirt that at least I could wear every now and then.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: